Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

the white walker thing is just there because GOT loves prophecy and how it gets misinterpreted or ignored. The targs conquered an entire continent off some dream that we the readers know is true but the family forgets it and destroys itself with squabbling in fighting. The actual prophecy doesn't come true for near 200 years yet and the continent they conquered had already known and been dealing with the threat for millennia.

it's just fun connection and lore not a major plot in the show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Getting a Dunk and Egg show would rule. I'd even let GRRM write more dunk and egg instead of finishing anything else. I want the story where Dunk goes to Winterfell being run by like 7 various widowed starks and gets his bang on.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

also "do a bunch of stuff cuz i had a dream about spooky skelingtons" is like maybe not what everyones gonna listen to

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

There was plenty of meat imo

part of the appeal to GOT does reside in the production values, costuming, cinematography, etc

While not as good a setup episode as GOT s1e1 I think it had enough I think to make people in the mood again.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Chemtrailologist posted:

The King's impending death has the same subtle foreshadowing seen here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JkBKGttM_U

I laughed a dozen times at this stupid clip, we need more spoofs in the current media landscape

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Trash Trick posted:

I don't watch episode previews but that doesn't answer where they made it clear in the promotion of the show which characters have plot armor for how long

It's been known \ in all the media that she is played by 2 different actresses :shrug:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Vegetable posted:

I don’t think they did enough to foreshadow the Alicent marriage. I mean they’ve been spending time together but this is clearly one of those major twists where it’s Love over Duty and they haven’t done nearly enough to signal the depth of the relationship between the two.

she brought him a new dragon miniature for his little board game, one that he couldn't get at launch because he was busy having his hand maggoted so he couldn't wait in line at the game shop and they all sold out. she waited in line next to ser neckbeard for 10 hours to get it for him.

that's true love

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

I hope we get some wall stuff, just because the night watch is such a hosed up organization and I'd love to see how its doing rn. But no white walker stuff. Just some grubby men at the rear end end of nowhere freezing their balls off and grumbling.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Pennsylvanian posted:

Sapochnik joined the show during the downhill years, where he seemed like the only person to know what he was doing. His story about filming The Battle of the Bastards gave a lot of insight to just how inept D&D were.

Can you elaborate on what he said?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Baron Porkface posted:

Was crabfeeder supposed to have a plan? You're a poo poo pirate if people know where your base is and he didn't seem to be receiving reinforcements from the triarchy.

He wasnt a pirate, he was a privateer supported by the free cities to FIGHT piracy. Which was also an excuse to gently caress with westeros boats as well. It was basically just a lil proxy war.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

stev posted:

Aren't they married? You don't generally marry a massive racist unless you're also racist.

It was a marriage of advantage, uniting the 2 great wiki editor houses

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

I loved the wedding scene. Criston just loving going off makes perfect sense. Joffrey thinks they must be the same and in the same kind of mindset/mood (Joffreys giddy! Boyfriend to the future king consort and about to live a life of even more luxury) and lets him know they're the same and everythings gonna be cool don't worry bro, but doesn't realize Cole is a powder keg that has been stewing in shame and anxiety for months/years. As for killing a guy in the middle of a ceremony and nothing happening, I mean it was a Kingsguard knight killing some random lesser knight. modern day police get away with worse and they have so much less cachet than ostensibly one of the top 7 knights of the realm.

Criston's actor put on a clinic this episode (everyone did tbh) and really sold himself as a true believer in the oaths and nobility of being a KG and being wracked with the guilt of what he was doing with Rhaenyra. gently caress I can't wait for the rest of this series its been so good compared to second half GOT.

https://twitter.com/megsokay/status/1571915484840222722

also this owned

Re: the dress and the clunky exposition, I mean the way they could have done this without that would have been to have more exposition in previous episodes related to the dress colors (like maybe Alicent absentmindedly wearing green at some point and being told to change) which then you could have had her whole entrance be dialogueless in this episode which could have been more powerful, but the line itself while a bit clunky works even in universe because its the strong boys being like oh poo poo its going down because everyone KNOWS theres a succession crisis brewing under the surface since half the realm wants a male ruler.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 19, 2022

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

To me it seemed like Daemon was doing a normal soothing hand position for Horses but then got close enough to violently shove its nose which caused it to rear back and flip Rhea. Reading that scene as a kind of magic would be weird.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

How on earth does Criston Cole stick around after that? I don't mean in the immediate aftermath, obviously the show just gave him a free murder in front of everyone pass. How does he stay at the Red Keep with Laenor around?

The queen is protecting him and Laenor is merely a prince consort and do you think they are gonna be like "hey im gay and you killed my boyfriend" - lots of whispers about laenor being broken up by the killing of a minor house knight

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Sentinel Red posted:

Also, what the gently caress was Matt Daemon complaining about, his wife seemed way cooler than the average Westorsi noble. Dumbass.

When it was revealed he got married to a badass arya type i actually laughed because what a loving idiot

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

daemon brooding in the brothel because his wife is actually much cooler than him

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

https://twitter.com/boneysoups/status/1572064440370987011

love this dumbass himbo

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Open Source Idiom posted:

I loved the music cue the feature prominently when the dress debuts. Actually, I think it might be the debut of that musical theme as well, I can't remember noticing it before.

The music really sells it as this big moment, you just know that turning up at someone else's wedding in a big showy dress and doing the slow walk while stunting on the King is a big loving deal, but the music sells it as the debut of some kind of big war. The show's saying that this is the bit conflict going forward.

it's definitely the first really powerful score of the series. very noticeable and evocative track that works really well in the scene, making that one bit of clunky dialogue hit a little clunkier. just imagine if there was nothing but the score and the murmurs of the crowd.

almost a 💯 scene just gets a slight demerit for catering to the dodos

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Id react calmly and rationally if i saw a dragon but im just built different i guess

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Daemon shook his head no to saving the baby, Laena wanted to die a dragonriders death so ran to go get burnt up.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Barreft posted:

We're only 6 episodes in my man, I like it but dang

Its fine to dive right in to liking something! It has the advantage of GOT already having been made, so they can learn from some of the mistakes and improve on the successes. I tend to agree with the sentiment to be honest. I'm going through the same thing with Andor on Disneyplus right now. Its 4 episodes in but it feels like prestige TV compared with any other star wars tv show property.

HOTD is well casted, well acted, and the drama is rich and intrapersonal - plus it has great spectacle. GOT had a really great story as they were following the books, but had some clunky aspects to it even during the height of its quality.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Ubersandwich posted:

I see where you're coming from. There's no character whose death at the end of the season would shock and sadden me, like Ned Stark in Game of Thrones as an example. I'm enthralled buy D'Arcy's performance, but Rhaenyra has some pretty deep flaws that make it difficult to really get behind her. I do understand where Alicent is coming from and Oliva Cooke makes her a very compelling character, but I think her flaws are more problematic. Don't get me started on the kids.

If any major characters shed their mortal coil, I'd feel sorry for the loss of the performer rather than the character.

Daemon and King Goon, may they live forever 🙏

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

everyone knows they were loving and they all look like little harwin strongs and the show people do not need to be scientifically accurate to levy accusations against one another

its not a plot hole

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Platystemon posted:

It’s a fictional universe, so cultural norms can be whatever the author wants them to be, but I do find it a little strange that the parentage of Rhaenyra’s children is a major issue.

Its a succession battle, not a happy fun time hour. I agree that in a world where matrilineal succession exists, kids from the mothers side would not be bastards, but in the ASOIF its established that everyone has a hard on for patrilineal succession. Or at least enough people have a hard on for it that it makes the entire plot happen.

There is probably plenty of people cool enough with the Strong kids, but that just ain't enough.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

Trump speaking High Valyrian

king trump constantly going on tangents to mention increasingly irrelevant minor ladies who he had sex with / turned down sex with

"and then the strongest knight in the seven kingdoms, he came to me, with tears in his eyes, and said please King Trump"

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

zoux posted:

If Aemond had fallen off of the dragon's back when he was just hanging on by his fingernails, no one would've ever had any idea what happened to him

If Vhagar was really ride or die with Laena he would have barrel rolled

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

zoux posted:

Spoil me book lords: all these dragons have dope names like Meraxes and Vhagar and Vermax and Syrax, and then you have Sea Smoke. Wtf is up with that

The ones with the tryhard names were named by Targs

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

i say swears online posted:

twee garbage, the lot of them. true loreheads only like sheepstealer

Cannibal

:rock:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

bobjr posted:

I mean look at how the Stark kids named their Direwolves. Some hit and miss names there.

goated tier
Shaggydog

Good tier
Nymeria
Lady

Dogshit tier
Ghost
Summer

Tryhard Tier
Greywind

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 6, 2022

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

zoux posted:

Greywind is absolutely try hard tier, Ghost is “my wolf is white so I will name it that because I gots nou creativeteh”

agree actually, lets swap ghost and greywind

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

I think people aren't giving Aemond enough credit for his "slanders" being 100% true, and materially impacting his own ambitions. Rhaenyra's kids are bastards, a fact which if publicly acknowledged would make Aemond 2nd in line for the throne*, instead of like 6th or 7th or whatever it is now.
(I didn't see if Aegon had sons in the episode, his actual place in the succession might be 3rd-5th if Aegon has sons. Still, his grievance with Rhaenyra's illegitimate children inheriting stands.)

Rhaenyra has 2 "true born" kids with Daemon now, so even with the bastards Aemond is not 2nd in line. He is behind Rhaenyra, her kids, her kids kids (if they have them), then Aegon, and Aegon's kids, etc

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

mcmagic posted:

It really doesn't make sense that Otto would just get that job again after being exiled because he literally said "you aren't doing your job." This has bothered me.

he didnt really exile Otto and part of his "you're fired speech" was "you've been an amazing friend and have given me wise counsel for all your years, but this ONE THING seems like a weakness for you so I have to let you go"

Given everything that has happened with Viserys it is extremely in character to bring him back, especially when he is already hurting and Alicent is the one asking him to do it.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

parara posted:

Viserys being his favourite character he’s ever played is really sweet to read. He seems like such a nice dude.

he gave an all timer performance in a show that is going to be seemingly well received (for now) and well made, thats just fantastic for any actor. To have a final episode like the last one to go out on for your character is like every actors wet dream too!

He even got to adlib a bunch of stuff and have it stay in the episode, bringing even greater pathos to the entire thing. Just fantastic.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Avasculous posted:

I just finished episode 6. Does this show have any fan-favorite characters at all? It feels sorely lacking in the Tyrion/Arya department.

daemons wife seemed cool as gently caress

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Vegetable posted:

Does anyone else remember that moment when Alicent was whispering into Criston’s ear? Her request was phrased in an odd, almost intimate way. Something like “do it for the honor of your queen.” They lingered on it and it was weird.

Alicent realizes what buttons to push on Criston Cole to make him do stuff. His entire hang up was around sullying the one good and honorable thing he had made for himself and which had also sullied the princess' honor as well. "Please protect me like you couldn't protect Rhaenyra" << implied

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

SuperTeeJay posted:

Good episode but the dragon headbutting its way through a stone floor strong enough to support a massive crowd and then flying through a door half its size will have to be overlooked.

The dragon did the thing hawks do where it pulled its wings in incredibly tight to fit through the door. Im not saying they nailed the scale aspect of it exactly, but if you watch footage of british goshawks flying through forests you see them doing something similar.

thought it was a nice touch.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Vegetable posted:

What was Aegon’s role in those child fights again? Is he just sponsoring them or what? I didn’t totally follow it.

Supplying them with endless bastard targs to fight in the pit and also enjoying them and betting on his own children and probably passing out big foam fingers

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Boris Galerkin posted:

Why is it that the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard is the person to physically crown the new king? That doesn’t really make any sense at all because you’d expect someone more important to be doing it. Like it would have made sense for the priest with the oil to physically place the crown because he’s the leader of the faith, or head maester, hand, the queen mother, etc. Why does the Lord Commander of the guard get this special privilege?

Like in real life history Karl the Great was crowned by the Pope after all, and the UK monarchs are crowned by their Archbishop. I assume MBS is gonna be crowned by a high ranking Muslim priest equivalent when his father croaks.

Criston Cole is heavy in the green tank and part of the conspiracy to seat Aegon. He probably wanted to do it.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

It was accidental in that Cole likely wasn't "im gonna kill this bitch" but very much not accidental as it was the kind of thing someone with barely contained rage is gonna think "I'm gonna shove this old fucker down the table and i don't care what happens"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

exmarx posted:

i don't think the kids in the fight pit are aegon's. the toddler was the only one with platinum blond hair.

aegon's kid was sitting on the bench because hes the reigning champ, those other kids gotta kill each other to get a shot at him.