Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

stev posted:

Yeah. In GoT there were some characters with similar names (not nearly as many as the books, mind) but they were usually in completely different setting and storylines - or at the very least they were visually distinct.

It sounds like there's going to be a bunch of blond white Targaryans in the same place with the same names. I don't think it's a TV critic's job to put up with poo poo like that if the average viewer could struggle with it.
From a ways back, but thank you. 158 million people have prosopagnosia and can't see faces, too, so Game of Thrones was already kind of a giant nightmare for us, and this is gonna' be a lot worse.

I'm one of the lucky ones. It merely takes me a really, really long time to distinguish somebody from everybody else, but even then, if they're suddenly somewhere I wasn't expecting them, and have different hair or aren't dressed how they usually are, I won't know who they are until they tell me.

It's pretty hard to watch prestige TV sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Is there a spoiler thread you can all take this stuff to?

If not, could there be?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Mike N Eich posted:

I'm actually gobsmacked a show, any show, can garner 10 million views in this kind of modern media age. Especially given how poorly the end of GOT was received.

Westeros still's got some juice though, wow
Yeah, that came as a huge shock.

I talk loudly and often about how I've never in my life seen something get unexisted out of the pop culture like Game of Thrones did after its finale, so I figured at least half of those people weren't coming back, but evidently I was wrong.

We'll see if they stick around, though. There really wasn't much meat to this first episode beyond "remember thing you used to like."

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

"Show better without fat man books" was a mantra right here on these forums, so let's not go pretending we knew the show was going to poo poo.

The "this show sucks now" crowd was no louder or more prominent here than it is for any show in its 3rd season on.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Typo posted:

Dany also made every Dothraki her blood rider, so they are honor bond to kill Jon on sight
I buy the way it went. They want to go home and forget how they were all under a white warlord's thrall for years because she killed their leaders and they were honor-bound to follow her after that. It's honor all the way down leading into Westeros where all your friends get slaughtered for some other rear end in a top hat's homeland. gently caress me back off to the Dothraki Sea. I don't give a poo poo.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean recent years and current events have taught me hosed up cartoon monsters are real
Big oof on this. How correct it is, I mean. Turns out all of our understandable criticisms of "why is nobody doing anything about this" that we've used to skewer what was thought to be lazily-written fiction don't apply anymore. Nobody is doing anything about Ramsey because people don't actually stop other people in power from being monsters just because they're being monsters. That just isn't a thing that actually happens, and we need to stop expecting it to both in fiction and real life.

Now I'm sad. :(

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

bobjr posted:

The show also heavily cut down on the secondary houses that aren’t the main characters, so houses like the Manderlys, the Hightowers, and the Florents get mentions at most.
This was a really good idea, as was consolidating characters.

Yeah, they didn't do the best job of it, but there were far too many houses and people to remember even after they jettisoned and combined some.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Using the old theme smacks of "we had no faith in this." The prophecy, the Dany title card that opened the whole loving show (if I'm starting with this show, who the gently caress is that and why should I care?), and that theme all have that smell to them and are why I loving hate prequels. They can't help but be too cute by half even when the intentions are pure, so when they're not, it's unbearable. I don't need to know how Han Solo got his name. That can just be his loving name.

Time will tell which this is.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

At this point I'm just assuming that a young, waifish, platinum haired gal broke the big guy's heart and he just can't stop telling stories about how they're obvious tyrants who nonetheless blind everybody around them.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Khal Drogo basically died of a booboo too.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Yeah, I'm in no way going to accept that one must become a fascist grifter to succeed on Youtube.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Okay, but there is a wide chasm between "the top creators are fascist grifters" and "everybody must be a fascist grifter in order to make a living" both from a moral and factual standpoint.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I gotta' say, I am enjoying this show, but while it's entirely realistic to have a bunch of people backstabbing each other to attain power for power's sake, I'd be a lot more invested if I knew what literally any of them were planning on doing with said power.

If they all just want it just because, I'm really not rooting for any of them.

I think the Azor Ahai prophecy was written in to justify some of this, but we know that doesn't happen until a completely different show and also it ends like poo poo, so it ain't really solving the problem.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

zoux posted:

I'm rooting for good drama and good characters, I don't really understand the rooting-interest type of TV watching. All this poo poo is predetermined, I can tell you right now who wins. I do not want to be friends with the TV show characters.
Bully for you. Other people don't enjoy things the same way you do.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

bobjr posted:

Next week should begin with Aemond saying he knew everything was going to be okay because he gave the dragon an ocular pat down
LOL. Cut that cut that cut that.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I have a large German Shepherd and the only dogs that have ever been aggressive to him on walks are tiny shithead terriers that he could absolutely maul to death in seconds if he had the temperament.
Me too. 100 lb white German who never fights back because he knows he doesn't have to and he's too sweet besides.

Drives little dogs apeshit.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Yeah it's probably this and the Targs are just those weird people who only teach their German Shepherds commands in actual German.
Cops do this so people can't give their K9 commands. I didn't realize other folks did this too.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

OctaMurk posted:

grrm just isnt good with numbers
Because they don't matter. People asked him if there was a reason the seasons were so long and weird and he pretty much that there was a thematic one, but that the science wasn't important.

It's a magic xylophone.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Using that same theme just screams "we had no confidence this would work."

And they were right.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

:lol:

I'd mark out.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Pennsylvanian posted:

This is my son, Tatters Shitmouth Naruto Jones.
If this is an original composition, I want you to know it's one of the funniest loving things I've ever read in my llfe.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

They work because the buildup very much reads on first viewing as "how are our heroes going to get out of this one?"

Even after Ned, you kinda' figure they killed the usual fantasy protagonist so all the others, his children most of all, will always feel threatened to we viewers and readers now that we've been shown our heroes *can* die, but then it happens again with even bigger stakes and loss and holy poo poo, it was the last time Americans were all mostly watching the same thing and experiencing the same emotions over it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Recency bias runs rampant in them, though. You're not wrong.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I don't know why this is, given the sheer volume of people who did, but I never had that problem.

Could just be my TV. Or the fact that I always watched it after dark.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Also I get the tendency to fundamentally link the personal values of an author to those of the fictional worlds they create but it's not always that clear cut. GRRM is very clearly depicting Westeros as a hosed up place where the strong prey upon the weak and honorable people are regularly made chumps by those who lack it. Westeros having hosed up values doesn't mean the author does.
True, but the diagetic presence of a lovely fake world doesn't preclude an author's biases from penetrating the work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Are you loving kidding me?

The guy seriously wrote that incest was good and only went bad because they weren't doing so much loving incest?!