Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Team Daemon.

Glad that they re-evaluated the wigs they had on some of these characters for this episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

stev posted:

I like that Aegon isn't being portrayed as a horrible Joffrey type or anything. He's just a kid who doesn't know anything but privelege. He seems like he'd be a likable character in the right circumstances.

I like that I can easily believe the actor portraying Aegon is an inbred royal.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I think that’s what I’m really enjoying about Dragon. We aren’t visiting 23 places for only 3 minutes each per episode. We’re getting nothing but 50 mins of story in one main place, and maybe a few mins in one other.

Agreed, though Daemon is like Uncle Traveling Matt from Fraggle Rock—a postcard each episode from a new location with a new wife.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

ruddiger posted:

Viserys is going to show up healthier and more spry than ever only to immediately collapse and die on the diorama

A montage of Viserys on his deathbed intercut with an egg hatching for whichever weirdo kid doesn’t have a dragon yet.

As Viserys breaths his last, the baby dragon flies through the castle, setting fire to the model.

Quick cut back to a shot of the baby dragon perched on weirdo kid’s shoulder (weirdo kid also has dragon eyes now).

Cut to “Duel of the Fates” playing over the credits.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

I felt bad for some of the young actors when my first reaction was "wow, the casting team really nailed the "inbred royal" look."

The kid that plays Aegon is what happens when you don’t have any dominant genes.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

Weasling Weasel posted:

Like, are we claiming here that David Tennant doesn't have any dominant genes, being as it is his son?

Jokes are weird.

Edit: John from Cincinnati

mweber fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Oct 2, 2022

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Thank goodness they started calling some of these kids by nicknames. It’s bad enough that all the little weirdoes look exactly like each other, giving them all basically the same gleepglop Westeros name makes it really tough to keep track.

Here’s hoping Corlys and Daemon just wipe out everyone and start from scratch as the only effective people in the kingdom.

Edit: Glad ennui-filled-ex-pat Daemon only lasted for like an episode and a half.

mweber fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 3, 2022

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Do the Valyrons have a huge fall from grace between now and GOT? Seems like another family of potential dragonriders would’ve been a bigger deal.

Is everyone just over the whole pureblood Valerian thing by the time we get to GOT?

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

Anonymous Zebra posted:

There are no living dragons in GOT (Dany's excluded). Saying anything else might be a spoiler for this story, so let's stop there.

EDIT: Although I should note that they are not Dragonlords. Laenor and his sister are children of a Targ mother.

Got it. I forgot that Laenor and his sister were part Targ.

Thanks!

tatankatonk posted:

Dragons are all dead by the time of GOT.

Yeah, I worded that badly. I was wondering why they didn’t pop up after Dany’s dragons hatched. But they’re not dragonriders, so it’s a moot point.

mweber fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 3, 2022

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Has anyone pointed out yet that, in the cover image for the series on HBO, the dragon’s pupil is the same shape as Little Finger’s dagger?

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

Xiahou Dun posted:

You mean the one that King Goon has been wearing on his belt and monologuing about all season, the one that the Queen just used to assault Rhaenyra?

Yeah, that’s the one.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

Toplowtech posted:

They took the Targaryan side during Robert's rebellion so they aren't in court under his reign. Now book spoiler for book ASOIAF but it didn't happen in game of throne so whatever: during Tommen reign, Aurane Waters a Velaryon bastard comes to court, becomes one of Cersei lover (yeah number 5 or 6) and manages to become grand admiral, the master of ships (yeah gently caress you show Victarion Greyjoy). Oh and he made them build a new fleet then run away with it. In the book, he declares himself Lord of the Waters.

This really makes me hope that Corlys gets to be a gentleman pirate king for a while.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

Pattonesque posted:

one of the GoT in-development spinoffs is about Corlys as a young ocean adventurer

That sounds awesome. Curious who they’ll cast as young Corlys.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Everyone has come to terms with Ronan Farrow, so why not Rhaenyra’s kids?

Is there any mention in the books how common people felt about all the incest? Just royals being royals?

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

stephenthinkpad posted:

If king goon is smart he should do this and pass the throne to brother. BTW King goon had all kind of sickness in first few episodes, but some how he got better. Maybe he was being poisoned by Otto slowly. But now that he has a young male child with Alicent, Otto doesn't need to kill him off in a hurry.

Paddy Considine has said that Viserys has Westerosi leprosy.

Otto is definitely the villain in the whole thing. If he hadn’t poisoned Viserys against Daemon, the true heir, none of this would have happened.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

TyrantWD posted:

Daemon didn't do himself any favors with that city watch stunt. Otto was right to be worried about putting someone like that on the throne. Then again, its possible Daemon would have chilled out when he became king, spent time reading history books like he was in Pentos, and being a pretty effective ruler since he knows the way the world works.

Sure, would Daemon be a little more law and order than strictly necessary? Probably, but what do you expect with the way rabble been allowed to spawn under Viserys’s watch?

I think episode 1 Daemon would be a terrible king who would get his rear end kicked in some dumb foreign misadventure.

Funeral-era Daemon is what you want in a ruler: a pensive, kind of mopey ex-pat who will cut a guy in half when needed.

Edit: Plus his hand would probably be Corlys, and that’d be awesome.

mweber fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 4, 2022

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

Robobot posted:

Huh, I can see it now that it was pointed out! I liked David Tennant in Good Omens, so this does nothing but strengthen me to Team Aegon.

Awkward Teen King for life!

Ty Tennant is David Tennant’s adopted son. That’s why he only has recessive genes.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

Tosk posted:

My bad, I thought it was regarding show spoilers which are obviously discussed pretty freely here, but that makes more sense

Relevantly then, I'm really enjoying this so far but a friend mentioned the quality takes a nosedive after episode 6, is that anyone else's experience?

Probably means all the mutant little kids that showed up recently. Things will improve once the show starts thinning the herd.

mweber fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Oct 5, 2022

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Daemon’s probably pretty irked that Viserys re-hired Hightower.

Edit: In the scene right after the knifing, the actor that plays Laenor does a magnificent job of playing a really hungover guy just getting through it.

mweber fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 6, 2022

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

Mameluke posted:

My favourite part of the knife attack was just how many loving people Alicent did it in front of. Nice to see things look appropriately medieval and royal

I like that there’s a couple dozen people just watching this kid’s eye get stitched up.

Also the look on Cole’s face when Alicent demands an eye from one of Rhaenyra’s kids is the second biggest laugh in the show after the guy getting squished by Daemon’s dragon.

mweber fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 7, 2022

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

i say swears online posted:

on the shoulders of giants

Remember the early days of covid when the way to not get it was to wear a mask made out of an old Hanes Beefy T?

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Rhaenys’s wig makes her look like a Conehead trying to pass, but she’s awesome.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Getting some real anime-cyborg-space-pirate vibes from the new Aemond.

Edit: 50/50 Waluigi and Raiden from Metal Gear.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Did Cersei dummy up a fake lineage for the Mountain while she was pretending his name was Strong?

Have we time jumped past any winters? Seems to be of minimal concern.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

zoux posted:

Who else would he name hand?

A triumvirate of Daemon, Corlys, and Rhaenys.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Killed that poor maid while a monster like Tony Soprano still walks the streets.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

Zohar posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/10/arts/television/house-of-the-dragon-paddy-considine.html

interesting interview with Paddy Considine, apparently he had some input on how Viserys's illness would end up

e: Also on Daemon as Hand:

This is exactly why Daemon should be Hand. He’d be the type of boss that doesn’t waste your time with endless meetings. He’d be out there asking you to Get. poo poo. Done.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

Blue Nation posted:

To me is not that Aemond is taller, Aegon has a baby face while Aemond's chin is threatening to jut out of my TVs screen and poke out my eye.

The eye patch adds 15 years.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Why are we talking about Dyana when we should be speculating on what the very much totally alive Tony Soprano is up to in 2022?

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

frankly of people that will last past this season, this show is lacking in GoT's memorable, fun characters. i'm still chalking it up to a lack of people distanced from power, with differing motives. jorah, davos, barristan, brienne et al were great and nuanced. while i like terminator aemond and the much more claustrophobic nature of the show, this is something that GoT had that the hot d doesn't

I think Daemon and Corlys are the only “fun” characters. Aemond has some serious potential. Everyone else is sort of bland or unlikeable.

I’d love if Otto were fleshed out more. He set this whole thing off, but his character is So. Boring. I wish he were more of tented fingers, Rasputin-type. Now just he’s Paul Ryan with a better beard.

Edit: Forgot Rhaenys who is more “cool” than “fun”, but she rocks too.

mweber fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 12, 2022

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

she IS great! and yet the queen of thorns was way cooler. like you said many characters are kinda bland. i feel rhaenyra is especially thinly written for being a (maybe the, for now) main character. people had legitimate criticisms of robb stark at the time but now the show has several of him

Rhaenys is quietly the only person on this show who actually has the temperament to be a good ruler, but she got screwed, so she’s going to be the best Mrs. Corlys she can be. Total ride or die chick.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Man, it’s going to be really sad when Rhaenyra’s kids marry Daemon’s kids and then they all die.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
I hate prolonging Dyana chat, but the tea scene closely mirrors Daemon’s meeting with Qarl about “A quick death, with witnesses” in the prior ep. Even hands off a sack of gold the same way.

Dyana, Qarl, and Laenor are probably living a 70s rent-controlled sitcom in The Free Cities somewhere.

I can’t be the only one who thinks Daemon is the most sympathetic character, right?

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

TOOT BOOT posted:

I definitely don't think that. He's entertaining but I wouldn't call him sympathetic. Of course, part of that was the huge misstep of showing how his wife was cooler than him and then having him cave in her skull with a rock.

I feel like it's a lot harder to find someone to root for on this show, compared to the original.

Haha, I don’t mean sympathetic in the “likable” sense, but more in the “Yeah, that’s probably how I’d turn out in the circumstances” sense.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Do we ever see Alicent slip Viserys some tea?

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Daemon’s hair is a visual metaphor for the passage of time.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Who wants to see a magic trick?

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
And here I thought the Jar Jar Binks accent would be the most humiliating part of this episode…

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Here’s hoping one of the spinoffs is about a gang of Aegon’s bastard child gladiators wreaking havoc on the countryside.