Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
They younger maester suggested a different treatment last episode, but the Grand Maester shot him down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Boris Galerkin posted:

Who was the child who tried proposing to the princess and who was the loud mouth rear end in a top hat that he ended up killing?

Samwell Blackwood. He killed a member of House Bracken, you can tell from the 'red horse on yellow' sigil he was wearing. The Blackwoods and Brackens hate each other.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
It's suggested Varys is a pedo on the show, but maybe that's because he let's people believe that so he has a cover story for spending time with his child spies.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Open Source Idiom posted:

Watch them cast Milly Alcock in a new role come season two.

Ha ha, there is precedent. The actor who portrayed King Tommen played a different Lannister in season 3.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Starks posted:

Also, is Otto still around?
He left for Oldtown last episode and is still alive, so far as we know.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Xiahou Dun posted:

The book that the maesters did everything they could to prevent him from using to do the action they tried to stop him from doing.

They're an active hinderance.

Barbrey Dustin alt account spotted.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

Here's the thing about HBO: 95% of their shows are good to excellent, including owning the number 1, 2, 3, and 4 all time great show slots.

I love David Simon too, but this is a little too generous.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
There's a spoiler in that pic, amigo.

Edit: Nevermind. Good on you for catching yourself.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Typo posted:

I'm so stupid I cropped it out sorry :(

No worries as far as I'm concerned. I can't be spoiled. I've read the book. :smug:

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Best episode of the season.

Best episode since (GOT SPOILER) Podrick sang.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

unlimited shrimp posted:

I haven't watched GoT since it originally aired. Do they ever talk about Viserys I in the show? If so, what do they say?

I remember Shireen Baratheon reading a book about the forthcoming conflict titled the Dance of the Dragons. I don't remember any specific mention of Viserys I though.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Considine called it "a form of Leprosy."
https://winteriscoming.net/2022/09/13/paddy-considine-reveals-king-viserys-disease-house-of-the-dragon/

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
lol

I just got banned on twitter for saying something negative about Rhaenyra's faction. "The Blacks"

Walked right into that one. :doh:

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
:lol:
https://twitter.com/ryrynoel/status/1581847126279348225

deoju fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 17, 2022

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

MrMojok posted:

I am a dumbass, I know. What is the deal with them dropping these little colored balls into these dishes when at the council table?

At first I thought it was a “speaking pillow” kind of thing but now it seems they have to drop them in there when they sit down?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/house-dragon-small-council-balls-explained-1235202056/

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

wilderthanmild posted:

Is the Book worth reading? If it's really gonna be like fall 2 years from now before season 2 comes out, fuccckk.

It's written like a history instead of novel and moves really quickly. The Dance of the Dragons, which is the historical name for this war, is only a few chapters. You could read the whole part in an evening. It's pretty good imo.

I wouldn't say it is 100% straight forward though. There are parts where the 'author' of the history says "Source A says this event happened this way, Source B says things really happened another way." And it is deliberately unclear which is true. The show has chosen to omit this aspect, presumably not to turn every episode into Rashomon.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

MLSM posted:

So this show is gonna be 3 seasons at least right. I want more than 2 seasons of absolute dragon carnage
Could be.

The first season covers seventy one pages, and the whole Dance of the Dragons section is two-hundred fifty pages. So at that pace it would be 3.5 seasons.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Public Service Announcement:

NOBODY BUY THE NEW COMPANION BOOK THE RISE OF THE DRAGON: AN ILLUSTRATED HISTORY OF THE TARGARYEN DYNASTY. IT WAS WRITTEN BY RACIST TERF TRASH.

https://watchersonthewall.com/storm-of-hate-linda-elio-grrm/

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
The kid should have been instructed to nope the gently caress outta there at the first sign of another dragon, especially Big Chungus or whatever it's name is.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I wouldn't be surprised to see the map return next season. There were like 3 locations this season, King's Landing, DriftMark, and Dragonstone. There's going to be more next season, including places not depicted in GOT.

Edit: forgot Harrenhal.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Snowy posted:

If I decide to read the book but only care about the chapter/chapters covered in the show, which parts should I read? I saw someone say the pasty’s in the show could be read in an evening and that sounds perfect.

Start at the chapter titled The Heirs of the Dragon, page 339 in my hardback. That chapter starts with the Counsel where Viserys was named King and Rhaenys gets screwed, which happens before the show, but moves pretty quickly into things.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Yeah the Greyjoy chapters mention the Cthulhu poo poo several times throughout the series.

The show really did Euron dirty. He's loving horrifying in the books.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
They are going to do 4 seasons.
https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/george-rr-martin-praises-house-of-the-dragon-season-2-preps-more-seasons-1235825061/

deoju fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 7, 2023

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I wouldn't really recommend it unless you read and really enjoyed the main series.

However the "Dance of the Dragons," the period the TV show is depicting, is only 200 pages or so if you want to give it a shot.

deoju fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 7, 2023

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
e:f,b I should hit f5 more often.

Factor Mystic posted:

Also most of my memory of GOT has evaporated, but here's a HOTD -> GOT timeline/character question is one of Alicent's boys the king that was burning lots of people prior to the events of GOT? Also, this is the war that made the Baratheons famous circa GOT timeframe, right?
No, that is Aerys. For a timeline reference, the Viserys of HOTD died in the year 129 AC,* the Joffrey of GOT was coronated in 298 AC.

*AC stands for After Conquest, refering to Aegon the Conqueror the first Targaryen King of the Seven Kingdoms.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Also some of the deities and religions have actual power. The Red God and his followers actually have some power. The Weirwoods do poo poo.

The Seven and the Goat God of Qohor, not so much.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

The Dunk and Egg stories are pretty much tailor made for TV.

The Blackfyres are central to the story, and they aren't mentioned at all in the original show, at least not to my recollection. The Dance of the Dragons was a few times. It'll probably be fine, but I've gotta wonder if that will resonate with the old audience the same way HotD does.

deoju fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 25, 2024

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I like how they are trying to coax fans into choosing a side, but by the end you'll see they are both loving awful. Which is the point..

Anybody know who that Bracken is at 1:07 of the Green Trailer? I hope we see lots more Bracken vs Blackwood stuff in this season.

deoju fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 21, 2024

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Dunk and Egg cast.

https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/ga...ell-1235961895/

The kid looks the part, and Dunk is a former rugby player, so I presume he's got the physique. Though you can fake a lot with the camera.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
This rugby website lists him at 1.96m/119kg and 262lbs/6'5".

I'd say he qualifies as a "big dude," but not an "absolute unit."

deoju fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 5, 2024

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
:hmmyes:
Guess how tall Lena Heady is 5'2". Good cinematographers no what they are doing.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Whale Vomit posted:

FFS in what universe... Hollywood on steroids has turned brains into mush.

I was loving joking. Neither "big dude" nor "absolute unit" are real units of measurement.

Maybe I should have said "he's a big fella, but not Hafthor Bjornson big."

deoju fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 6, 2024

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Here's my pitch. Jon becomes the king of the Free Folk. Then he realizes they are on a collision course with Sansa's northern kingdom. He then tries to derail the path he has put them on like Muad Dib in the Dune series. Ultimately he and Drogon should kill each other in an epic duel ending the Dragons and Targaryens forever.

But that's really just one season of content.

Edit: A dude named Steven Atwell just died. He was super influential in fan communities. Probably in the top five scholars. Bummer.

deoju fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Sansa would need to marry and have an heir to consolidate her hold on the North. And the climate changing brings in a ton of immigrants. Or maybe that's too close to contemporary affairs.

gently caress it get hbo on the phone. I don't need to be show runner, but I want a executive producer credit.