Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Miching Mallecho posted:

So the guy who played Jason Lannister, played Ser Hugh in GOT.

And he was the podcaster guy in Halloween(2018) which is why I kept thinking "I know this guy"

and fuckin' Torstein on Vikings!

Big fan of Vaemond laying about with a bardiche. Not enough polearms usage in medieval shows honestly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Pobrecito posted:

Look, the battle set up was a little silly but we still got to see Corlys just absolutely wrecking poo poo with a polearm, so it was cool in my book.

More polearms! Halberds and poleaxes and the like are terrifying and cool

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
I thought the battle was fine but a much better way of going about it would be for Daemon to be wearing full armor.

You can run pretty fast in full armor and it would have made the archers seem less idiotic -- you could have arrows constantly clanging off Daemon until he stands still for slightly too long and one of them finds a gap

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Deptfordx posted:

I'm not at home to check but aren't we already operating on standard fantasy 'Armour is useless'*. Weren't several arrow hits straight through his armour?

* Although it devolved, I really liked the opening seasons of the original GOT for not being that. Where Jorah Mormont completely no-sells a Dothraki blade thanks to his armour in the first season for instance.

yeah a few of them punched through. I think it'd be way cooler visually and in terms of believability if they were just constantly plinking off his (obviously high quality and expensive) plate mail until one of them finally snuck through

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Xiahou Dun posted:

I don't disagree with you dramatically, but think about it for a second : that's a prop safety nightmare.

They only did that in Throne of Blood because Mifune was legit insane as an actor, no one reasonable would ever do that.

lmao Mifune would be *incredible* in anything GOT-related

but yeah I think you could do it in CGI without too much trouble

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

roomtone posted:

if yojimbo showed up and just started chopping his way through dragon fire i'd have no complaints

Game of Thrones: Yojimbo with Mifune swanning his way through the Seven Kingdoms would *own so hard*

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Roman Reigns posted:

ok hear me out: Replace Bronn with Yojimbo.

anytime Yojimbo is off screen, the Targaryens should be asking "Where's Yojimbo?"

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
honestly it took me a bit to realize Viserys is this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzV2JdS4QAQ

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Pennsylvanian posted:

GoT always tries to act like it's the one Fanta series that GETS military strategy then has these types of scenes.

I'll give them this -- it's better than putting the catapults in front of the infantry and having your ace light cavalry charge blindly at an enemy with no formation to disrupt or morale to break

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Tom Tucker posted:

Oh god I forgot how angry I still am about this

the funny thing is that you could do the basic story beats of the Battle of Winterfell more or less unchanged but make Jon and Dany actually competent military commanders and it'd make the whole thing a million times more effective.

Like imagine the Dothraki wheeling about out of range pouring fire or dragonglass arrows into the horde, a fire trench system set up to funnel the undead into a single location, a thousand archers on the walls, catapults firing nonstop from minute one, and infantry desperately trying to hold the gate while the dragons duke it out in the sky

and it doesn't matter because the horde is still that overwhelming. That would have been amazing!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Tom Tucker posted:

If I were Viserys I’d just be drunk-weeping and over-sharing with Strong then doing whatever he said that guy is the best.

Strong is a true bro and a smart man which means he's probably gonna get super-murdered

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

So, I 100% know that Linda is a racist shithead and has regular Twitter blowups. The last thing I saw was when she called Steve Touissant a "drow" which holy loving poo poo,

Good lord that's putting some effort into her racism

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

NuclearEagleFox!!! posted:

Have the Targaryens and Velaryon intermixed much since the doom? Based on appearances, no?

Also, I guess all the black people are gonna die, huh?

Velaryons still rule Driftmark as of Game of Thrones they just had like zero involvement in the war of the five kings IIRC

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Mameluke posted:

why aren't all the driftmarkers black

well like the Velaryons came there after the fall of Valyria right, so they're ruling over whoever was on Driftmark at the time

also Corlys has a son with Rhaenys (Laenor the dragon rider) so he's mixed-race

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Ague Proof posted:

And I hope the junkyard a few blocks from here
Someday burns down
And I hope the rising black smoke carries me far away
And I never come back to this town again

Robert/Cersei Mountain Goats concept album

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Vanderdeath posted:

Preston is so deep into the lore that when he won a dinner with GRRM, he asked him several deeplore questions about ASoIaF and GRRM was like "Jesse what the gently caress are you talking about?"

lmao

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Gresh posted:

Encouraging to know that Westeros is more progressive than many Republicans on Plan B/abortion.

"the scion of a wealthy house gets a no questions asked abortion if it's politically necessary" is their basic belief anyway

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

Then, she comes back all horned up and aggressively comes on to her guard, who's also her subordinate. She hired him, she could have him executed. He literally tells her "no" verbally and she doesn't stop. That's a rape.

You can argue he could have left at some point, and overpowered her, but again, there's a power imbalance that isn't necessary physical going on here.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Typo posted:

The Tyrells were wiped out except Olenna

unlike in the books Loras/Magarey were the only Tyrell kids, so the line is just dead cuz I'm pretty sure Olenna is past child bearing age

it's another early warning sign the series was going to poo poo, D&D couldn't figure out how to resolve the Tyrell/King's landing storyline properly, so they literally blew everyone up

yeah and like, even if Mace, Margaery and Loras all die, the Tyrells all still have their soldiers in that city? And the religious troops are still there? And like, unless they got literally every lord pledged to the Tyrells in the city, their next step has to be immediately besieging Cersei in the Red Keep, right?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
That drives me nuts lol. None of the major houses suck at fighting, they wouldn't be major houses if they did!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

BigglesSWE posted:

Haha ngl Ser Criston’s face when she walked past him when she should’ve been in her room was quite funny.

"she snuck out without my knowing? how can my night get any worse?"

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Euron's entrance onto the Sand Snakes' ship where he rides a boarding ladder that crushes some poor Dornish dude was pretty metal tho

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Littlefinger's characterization is also all off from the start. The show presents him as everyone's enemy but GRRM in the books has him as everyone's friend. Otherwise he'd get murked immediately

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

A Tasteful Nude posted:

I love this performance - he nails the “let himself go” tired out, slovenly drunkard thing while still managing to covey these glimpses of the fact he was once strong, charismatic and hot headed enough to lead a successful rebellion.

There’s some moment when he’s, like, forcing Ned Stark to reminisce about smashing dudes with a hammer and he almost growls about how strong he used to be and you can tell in the way he says it both how much of a force of nature the character was supposed to have once been, but also that it’s one of the only memories that still makes him feel any happiness - and it’s about crushing a dude to death.

A War of the Usurper series with a prime Bobby B would be fun

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Super Deuce posted:

The contrast between Bobby B yelling at the Cleganes at the tourney and King T having no clue what is happening is funny, too.

Bobby B did take quite some time to tell them to stop and he saw what was going on right in front of him

also lol

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

That he, of course, takes her being quiet as yet another sign of the utter corruption of what he clearly had some fairytale ideas about despite being the only battle-tested Knight out of the entire lot who went for the role was the icing on the cake.

he's interesting because like the Westerosi version of the American Dream worked for him. He worked hard and rose from humble origins to achieve a great position -- just like in the stories! and so he's trying to fit his whole thing with Rhaenyra into that construction, which is why he proposes they sail away from it all and live a grand romantic life in an exotic locale -- just like in the stories!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

I didn't realize they didn't retire kingsguard. I had assumed they all eventually got the Barristam Selmy treatment "Thank you for the best years of your life kindly gently caress off now".

nah and that specifically was such a breach of protocol that it further contributed to the decline of the Lannisters' soft power

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

LegionAreI posted:

So is Lyonel Strong as good of a guy as he's coming off? He seems to be the only one who has any brains in the entire show.

poor dude is desperately trying to keep this system which has been stable-ish for 150 years from imploding under the weight of how stupid/horny/stupidly horny its current dynastic line has proven to be

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

I think I've got enough to render my judgment. All the horrors to come are 50% Otto's fault and 50% Viseys' fault.

it's all Jaeharys' fault for choosing Viserys over Rhaenys but not realizing he'd feel v. guilty about it

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Anonymous Zebra posted:

What does Lyonel Strong want? Most viewers seem to love the dude. He gives great advice and never seems to be pushing his self interest. So what is his self-interest? Both his sons are at court. One of his sons was planting poison seeds in the Queen's ear. Did his dad tell him to do that? Did he do it on his own? The fact that we have no clue is what makes the Strongs so much more dangerous than Otto ever was.

See this is the interesting part, right, because from their brief discussion about Alicent's dress, it looks like Hawrin and Larys have a good relationship. And then all Lyonel has to do is nod to get Harwin to rescue Rhaenyra. So at least on the surface the Strongs are a mutually supportive family, so why does it look like Larys is freelancing?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

stephenthinkpad posted:

I only caught up on the show recently, what's the thread's consensus on how evil Pa Hightower is? Was he pulling all the strings and murdering all the Targs on the down low like a Varys and Littlefinger hybrid?

Also I have said this in a different thread, my feeling on the Princess is that she is a YA protagonist.

Otto is v. self-interested (or at least Hightower-interested) and his scheming put his daughter in a real bad state but he does not want to be king of the ashes. He wants the realm to be peaceful and prosperous but his priority is securing the Hightowers as high a position as possible

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

unlimited shrimp posted:

Huge missed opportunity to do something new and interesting. I never resumed watching Foundation after life got in the way but that was another show that could have played with the scale of time, based on the source material.

I love so much the choices they(/GRRM) are making with characterization in this series. There's a lot of hamfistedness in the writing but the characters are more nuanced than they have any right to be.

yeah it's super cool how they're characterizing Rhaenyra and Laenor's marriage. They're friends! He doesn't much care if the kids are his or not! She appreciates his support even if it's not perfect! really interesting

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Vegetable posted:

It’s like if warplanes stopped being a thing for 100 years. You’d be shocked and terrified to see it again. People are understating the terror of a giant thing in the sky.

yeah flying thing is bad enough but flying monster that eats you and burns you to death is uhhhh worse

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

pastor of muppets posted:

gently caress yeah Vhagar

I like how when Vhagar flew over everyone the ground shook and it didn't when Caraxes did. v. cool

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
I think a lot of Alicent's resentment comes at just how *small* her world is. She's the queen but she's married to this big fuckin dork, her former friend got to gallavant around having adventures and has a satisfying sex life, and her dad convinced her that her entire existence will have to be dedicated to scheming or she and her kids are gonna get murdered when her goon husband bites it. She lives and breathes palace intrigue and *hates* it

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

stev posted:

I love the casting. She really sells the fact that she's the same person but has spent a decade stewing in paranoia, bitterness and fear.

much like what happened with Criston Cole, the world has failed to live up to what she believed to be true, and it's ruined her.

Like it's tough to imagine Alicent sneering "Maybe you'll get one that looks like you" to Laenor. Just like it's tough to imagine the Criston Cole of the first few episodes calling anyone -- much less Rhaenyra -- a "spoiled oval office". Both of them had these images and expectations of a young princess that were incredibly unrealistic, and when she turned out to be just another human being like anyone else it broke their hearts -- and brains.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I really could have done without a lot of those sound effects in the first birthing scene.

it's squicky but I appreciate how much this show doesn't shy away from how traumatic and horrible birth can be, especially without the benefit of modern medicine. Like these poor women are dealing with a *lot* -- Aemma dies horribly and Laena chooses fire over dying the same way --and it doesn't even end after they give birth . They make a point of showing that Rhaenyra still has a bit of a stomach bulge and her speech at the small council meeting is undermined by her lactating. Not sure any other show really does the same thing.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

wilderthanmild posted:

It kinda felt like someone who had fallen into playing this drama like a game because the consequences right now were just spite between her and Rhaenyra but suddenly there are real consequences and her "side" was the one that escalated it. It think it was a more extreme version of what happened with Rhaenyra when she overhead the Strongs talking about the scandal, a sudden realization this game has consequences that were starting to get real.

yeah she's been terrified for a full decade that this whole thing is life or death, and now it's actually happening and it's like she's facing real combat after years of simulators

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Starks posted:

It’s hard to weigh team Alicent va team Rhaenyra because we have no idea what Rhaenyra is thinking re her half brothers. I feel like most people are assuming she’s just going to ignore the issue which seems naive.

She tried to directly address it in the previous episode by attempting to betroth her oldest son to Alicent's oldest daughter. Which would have probably solved the issue pretty neatly but Alicent is insanely paranoid and prideful and sees it as a plot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Vanilla Bison posted:

It's a good solve on paper but it's real dumb to offer your bastard kid as a marriage pact to the person who's pissed off at you for having bastard kids

yeah that's what makes it understandable too. Her whole thing has been this seething resentment of her former friend's freedom and willingness to lie to her for over a decade. Now she's basically being told "hey one of my kids who I got by banging the strongest knight in the Seven Kingdoms should marry one of your kids from a rotting old man. But we should keep pretending they're Laenor's."

I'm wondering how much Rhaenyra understands just how much Alicent resents her, and *why* she resents her