Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Is that really something that makes Rhaenyra unsympathetic? I dont think characters need to be rational and consistent in their logic to be someone you can root for. She's a teenager.
I will agree there's way less levity, tho ill take dour n self serious if it eliminates the possibility of GoT's late seasons sense of "humor".

I mean it's not hypocritical or inconsistent at all. The reasons she's upset about Alicent marrying her dad don't exist in the little girl. She's okay with one situation and upset about another, different situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

roomtone posted:

Did it make sense that the King sent Otto to possibly have to fight Daemon and his forces which everybody knows include a dragon, with no dragon? Nobody brought up this question and Rhaenyra was the only one who thought about it? I mean it was a good scene I just kept thinking how did you expect this to work without a dragonrider? Otto was 100% about to either retreat in humilation or die. Maybe the point is that they are all incredibly bad at strategy.

I am more wary of it because this is the kind of thing that turned GOT bad.

Rhaenyra is my favourite character at the moment, but her competition is mainly a bunch of guys debating which child bride to is the best, so she wins by default. The show is interesting for now but some of these people are going to have to start developing enjoyable personality traits.

I get the impression that at this point in time, it's basically inconceivable to think targs would use dragons against each other. They're basically WMD's. Daemon is at odds with his brother but not openly at war, and popping that can of worms open would be disastrous for everyone. And Otto wasn't there to actually lay siege to Dragonstone, he just took enough men that Daemon wouldn't be able to hold him as a "guest" without basically going to war.

If I'm wrong and we're supposed to think Otto was going to besiege Dragonstone with Twenty Good Men... Welp.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 30, 2022

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

zoux posted:

People are misunderstanding me. I don't mean it's unusual because D&D ruined GoT forever for everyone, it's unusual because shows rarely beat their pilot numbers with the second episode. Even Lost, which had one of the all time great pilots, saw a dropoff. Typically very large, very hype shows make a big splash and then see a dropoff. If they have strong word of mouth then you start to see those numbers go back up but that usually takes a few episodes. People pretty much knew what they were gonna get with HotD, so I'd've expected a big pilot number and then a drop of a few points for episode 2.

I feel like people may have passed on the pilot because of the bad taste from GOT, and then tuned in because word of mouth was that actually this show was good. That's what I did.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

AccountSupervisor posted:

This shows fine and the court intrigue stuff is interesting but without ground level characters or a few characters to root for that arent directly connected to the lords or whatever it just feel kind of cold and disconnected from any sense of the larger world.

So far the show has zero personality or any characters I could see myself "loving" in the same way we loved so many in GoT and doesn't seem like it has any interest in going that route which sucks.

I feel pretty content with the court drama, but I'm worried that the timejumps are going to make things rushed instead of using the narrower scope to let things breathe. Would be nice to see Rhaenyra and Alicent have a scene talking about this thing that just happened.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

It was the tourney scene that resulted in an all-out bloodbath. I counted 6 high-borns getting murdered in various ways, counteracting the argument that this show is less wantonly violent than GoT. Stark and Lannister were the only insignia I noticed, but I'm sure the others were also from noble houses.

The Lannisters went on an all-out war footing when Tyrion, who they loving despise, got kidnapped. Imagine a Lannister failson getting bludgeoned to death with a mace in a tourney. Tournament deaths aren't uncommon in Westeros, but they're usually accidental or disguised as accidents like with Jon Arryn's squire. A bunch of nobles just wailing on each other with last man standing rules and no political consequences is insane.

The kidnapping was a problem because it was viewed as a threat and an insult, and made them look weak. Tywin would be ecstatic if Tyrion got killed in a tournament.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Vichan posted:

I loving hated the whole Pyat Pree coup storyline, such a lazy way to end that particular arc.

I did like Dany's conversation with the Spice King, especially because it foreshadows her madness brilliantly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9I0W1930FE

Holy hell I forgot how bad those early wigs were

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Something my friend pointed out is that Viserys's infected cuts seem to now have him missing two fingers. Love the metaphor of the throne cutting away at him, it's heavy handed but it works

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Justin Credible posted:

In retrospect it puts the lingering shots of Crabman in previous episodes to like a 'why??' area. As far as I can tell he's just some prince-pirate sadist who has some kind of axe to grind with Westeros or the white hair people specifically. I guess. Who can say, they built him up for two episodes as some mystery uber-baddie, but the third ep is mainly just the main girl being pissy and her father being increasingly drunk.

This is what the show is, tbh, it's a character drama not a medieval war simulator. The crab-feeder was just a plot device to fuel a conflict for the main characters. He wasn't going to be the Season Villain or anything.

I thought this episode was great with a lot of compelling scenes, in particularly the conversation between Rhaenyra and Viserys when he tells her he won't supplant her. Well-acted and written.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Justin Credible posted:

Cool so we just watch the show in a completely detached way because there are a handful of main characters and we need to view everything through the lens of actors and thousands of other people just being plot devices, not people living in the world they're depicting. It's not any kind of living world to be immersed in at all, and anything about the show that doesn't add up if you use your brain for two seconds should be discarded because they aren't trying to make a show with any kind of verisimilitude. How silly of me to want a little more out of 'prestige tv'

No, what I said was this is a character drama so it's silly of you to be annoyed that the show focuses on the main characters and their feelings instead of ten episodes fleshing out the tactical threat posed to the dragonlords by a pirate named The Crab Feeder.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, the way it is handled in the show seems pretty appropriate for it not being a proper war. They emphasize that he is more of an issue to a specific part of the realm, that he's functionally just a privateer working for a foreign power, and that the king can afford to just ignore for years - and the actual threat to Daemon is losing face as a pretender to the throne, unlike the stakes of the GoT civil war(s). Mr. Crabs getting unceremoniously killed off-screen just underlines that fact.

Of course, dragging the grayscale dude out by your hands seems like an ill-thought-out plan, which might also say something about Daemon as a character.

Yea, there's a reason why everyone is like "Eh the war isn't going well, who cares?" It's a war, sure, but it's not an existential threat to the targs and never was.

I will say the battle is pretty absurdly framed and would have been better if it had been scaled back by half, instead of Daemon dodging hundreds of arrows and killing dozens of men with a single sword swipe. But the broad strokes of what happened work for me.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Justin Credible posted:

Of course a hyperbolic response to any criticism of how physical stuff interacts. I've noticed a lot of this kind of pushback lately - to where if you say 'this threw me out of what's going on because it's silly and not reality bending - what's going on is reality snapping' is responded with 'well it's not TRYING to have anything believable at all in the physical space, it's not about that!'. It's a garbage position to take, but I can see how it's appealing - you never can be assailed in that position, because you can just double down forever.

With the surely million, maybe 2+ bucks they spent on the two crab island battle scenes, you're taking the position that it literally doesn't matter how they portrayed it. It's asinine. Asking for the internal logic of how these things work in a physical world that behaves pretty much exactly like our own plus magic and dragons is really not a lot, and does not mean I want to have it stretched into a ten episode epic, for gently caress's sake. Just in the amount of time they took to portray it, it could have been done with some semblance of 'okay, this adds up'.

I don't really know how to reply to someone who opens by complaining about my "hyperbolic response" and then makes a post full of hyperbolic misrepresentation of what I said. So I'm sorry you don't like this show, and whether you keep watching or don't, I hope you find happiness.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Mullitt posted:

They are making it very clear that right out of the gate with this one it's gonna be a good guy vs. bad guy type of show. The bad guy doesn't really matter, they're not really people. They're like orcs. I'm just surprised that they are repeating some of the ridiculous stuff from the last 2 seasons of Game of Thrones so early with the dragons.

What? No. This show is going to be about the Targaryen rulers fighting each other. It's not going to be about Targaryens fighting a bunch of "bad guys". You're not wrong that the show isn't portraying the crab feeder pirates as people, but they are not "the bad guys." They're the lembas bread crumbs that Sam and Frodo argue about.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Mullitt posted:

They were the bad guys so far. Can’t really speak to what happens in episodes that haven’t happened yet.
You can’t really have cool epic battle scenes without good guys and bad guys and faceless hordes though, so that’s the direction the writing will always come from.

Is the conflict in the first three episodes driven by the Targaryen Dynasty vs The Crab Feeder? Is that your takeaway from the three episodes we watched?

Hint: it's not even the driving force behind the actual battle scenes featuring the Crab Feeder.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Tom Tucker posted:

They're using the Volume really well. There's a behind-the-scenes showing how the entire standoff on Dragonstone was filmed on it.

Ugh, I didn't realize they were using that. It worked okay on Mandalorian but Book of Boba Fett and Obi Wan both showed its limitations and/or how mediocre directors can end up using it as a crutch where everything feels really flat and constrained. Hopefully this show avoids that.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I'm having a good time watching this show but watching matt smith get shot at a billion times and shrug off the few couple of shots that actually connected absolutely was an eyeroll moment for me

The Crab Feeder kind of forgot about plot armor

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

Commiting literally the worst act of sacrilege in recorded history and slaughtering both religious and political leaders with high levels of popular support: typically acts that never possibly lead to popular uprisings when every remaining sept in the Seven Kingdoms starts preaching about the demon queen.

There's also the bit immediately afterward where she crowns herself -- and Westeros is so very willing to accept a ruling queen -- despite having literally no claim whatsoever and no noble houses that aren't already in revolt feel the need to join the already extant revolt/start their own about this?

It's so clearly meant to be Aegon sitting in King's Landing as the savior from the inept incestuous mad queen. It makes Dany's final turn feel more appropriate, and makes so much more sense than Cersei just ruling by default.

I get that they didn't want to do Jon Connington/Griff/Blackfyre crap, but they could have easily just rolled Aegon in as the Dorne plot, instead of whatever the gently caress that turned out to be. Have Dorne claim he was spirited away during the sack of Kings Landing, have him march up with the Dornish army, the Tyrells join them because of the Lannister treachery and residual targ loyalty, boom it's done.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they very clearly wernt. they got the job because they guessed jons parents correctly and laid out a pretty good rundown of how they would adapt the books. the issue is they didnt know how to change once they ran out of books and make the scattered ideas work. they wanted to end the series fast and then lol.

pretty much. some of the deaths were cathartic like ramsay and the freys and to an extent littlefinger but even then it was never great or good.

I just reread the wiki summaries of the last few seasons and forgot how much low-effort poo poo is in there.
  • Varys basically decides he's done being on the show and gets himself killed in two scenes.
  • Euron, who without all his eldritch poo poo is basically only on the show because he's connected to Theon and Yara, singlehandedly kills one of the only two dragons in existence and then is Jaime's final boss battle for some reason.
  • Tyrion convinces everyone to vote for a new king, who as his first official act grants his sister's kingdom independence for no justification at all, and everyone decides "Yep this is working out great we're gonna keep doing this."
  • Arya, who spends the entire show coming to the conclusion that her identity is a Stark and that she belongs with her family and home, immediately leaves by herself to travel the world.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Chemtrailologist posted:

Don't forget Jon having to go into exile so the Dothraki and Unsullied don't riot after he kills their queen. They leave two minutes later and he still goes north.

I didn't mention how the final conflict sets up Dany's army as consisting solely of the foreign non-white savages who are consumed by bloodlust and unable to stop killing (the Dothraki, fine, but the unsullied were explicitly the opposite of that), while the white European heroes are shocked and horrified and just want them to stop.

I mean that could still be what GRRM had planned but it sucks either way.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Typo posted:

that eps also explicitly showed white northern soldiers raping king's landing unless I'm really misremembering

I'll be honest I haven't watched it since it aired so I could be wrong since I'm mainly going off the wiki summary which just mentions Grey Worm driven into a rage because of Missandei. Which reminds me:
  • Missandei's capture and death was so perfunctory, like the idea she would be surgically captured during the chaos of a naval battle is ludicrous. Some Dexter level writing. How did that even happen?

• Several seasons earlier, but: Twenty Good Men. They can't think of a single interesting way for Stannis-Ramsay to play out so they just give Ramsay the brilliant idea to attack his camp in the night, something that no one has ever thought to do before, and this completely cripples the most experienced commander in Westeros. I guess Ramsay charged up his super meter or something.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Platystemon posted:

The dagger plot is perhaps the most contrived in all the books, and it’s baffling to double down on it.

The knife itself is stupid but I actually love the song of ice and fire itself. It's sad that Viserys is obsessed with this prophecy that has been a burden on him and his ancestors, when as viewers we know it's hundreds of years away from relevance and he doesn't need to worry about it at all. I think it works well as dramatic irony.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Mark Addy’s Robert Baratheon was pretty great even though he never made it out of the first season.

I started rewatching the show this week (haven't rewatched any episodes since they first aired), and so many of the characters are really brought to life by great casting. I liked the books but the cast really elevates a lot of these characters: Robert, Joffrey, Tywin, Jorah, Robb, Davos, etc.

The absolute standout was Drogo though. No matter how good you remember Jason Mamoa being, he was even better in reality. Dude is just so committed to the role and is having such a good time. The way he screams this madeup language with such passion, spittle constantly flying out of his mouth, is impressive. This was the role he was born to play and it's too bad it's a one-season thing.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Typo posted:

yeah also the specific thing bran accused him of (betraying ned) wasn't even some secret which required psychic powers, there were literally hundreds of eye witnesses to LF putting a dagger to Ned's throat: in fact given how much people talk it's prob common knowledge by now

moreover, it's not even really a crime: Ned Stark publicly confessed that he was mounting an illegal coup d'etat against Robert's children, so LF could legit claim that he was just defending his rightful king.

If the whole thing is supposed to be a kangaroo court and Sansa was gonna kill him anyway fine the point isn't whether LF lives or dies the point is he's not some idiot he turned into by that point of the show

The actual trial is fine, it's the "power is power" dynamic that made Ned's play fail in the first place. The facts and law are irrelevant, what matters is that Littlefinger had no power in that situation and his enemies had all the power.

The stupid part was getting to that point. The entire Winterfell sister-sister drama was stupid and contrived. Selling Sansa to Ramsay was an incredibly stupid play that goes against everything Littlefinger is as a character, and after that point he's clearly just an aimless vessel being steered around by D&D.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Typo posted:

That's fine, the point is book/early season LF would have tried to talk his way out of it, and done a pretty good job

if Sansa just said idgaf still wanted to just execute him afterwards that's 100% fine, the point isn't' what Sansa did, it's what LF -didn't- do

Yea I mostly agree, but my point is that by the time he's in that room with those people in that situation, there's no talking his way out and no one would listen. It's how he got to that position that's stupid. Littlefinger gets himself on top of the vale and then just starts engaging in incredibly stupid plots designed to get himself killed, like a 3-season version of Varys' "I'm done being a character I want to die now" from S8

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

How many dragons are there at this point in HOTD and who has them? I kinda thought only the royal family did but then they showed the Velaryons have some too.

They're such a big power factor that it'd be helpful to have a clear idea

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I started rewatching GOT and going between episodes of both shows, they're filmed very differently. HOTD feels a lot more personal, we spend more time breathing with the characters. Part of it is that it's not jumping between 6-8 settings, but there's an interiority that GOT rarely captured. I'm thinking of the scene with Daemon deciding to go after the Crab Feeder, or Rhaenyra and Daemon going through the night market.

There's also obviously way less gratuitous nudity with actresses forced to just stand around awkwardly with their boobs out, and also less dialogue that just mentions tits, balls, cocks, rape, etc as punctuation.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

TheBizzness posted:

Maybe I’m a dumb dumb but why is the Queen so upset?

I think that while Rhaenyra didn't technically lie to her about loving her uncle, she wasn't fully honest about what happened that night and Queen Alicent probably sees Rhaenyra's attempts to hide her shenanigans as the thing that got her father shitcanned, fair or not. That combined with her being completely isolated and knowing her kids are going to be pitted against Rhaenyra, who she can't trust anymore, made everything come to a head for her.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

thebardyspoon posted:

I figure if you're a kingsguard and you say someone was coming at the princess with a knife or whatever, you can kinda get away with a lot right? At least enough to walk away in the immediate aftermath, he was planning on killing himself so didn't have much concern for what'd happen next I guess.

What was the knight of kisses or whatever his name was supposed to be thinking? "Ah yes I will go up and tell this guy out loud that I know this kingdom shattering secret that'd really gently caress up his and my lovers life if it were to get out?", he wasn't even blackmailing him or anything either. Just giving him a heads up and being a poo poo stirrer?

Yeah he really hosed up a good thing, his boyfriend was going to marry a queen who was fine with him stepping out, had no interest in him and already had her own side piece lined up! This is great for you, dude, you want Ser Cristan Cole around!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Morrow posted:

re: Criston Cole, maybe the strict Kingsguard oaths are an issue here? There's no potential for retirement, so you have Kingsguard members old enough to die in their sleep, which means of the 7 members there's maybe 2 or 3 at a time who are actually in their prime and able to fight.

I'm actually kind of confused about this, because the original series is pretty explicit about kingsguard (Jaime in particular) not being able to retire, hold lands, inherit, etc. It's a major plot point revolving around both Jaime and Tyrion's relationship with their father. But I'm rereading Game of Thrones, and early on Robert tells Ned he's planning on making Jaime Warden of the East. Ned objects in part because Tywin is Warden of the West, so Jaime would eventually inherit that and be leading both the West and the East. But Jaime shouldn't actually be able to hold any titles or inherit at all. Maybe GRRM just hadn't fleshed that out in the first book?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Xiahou Dun posted:

Unless I'm misremembering (and you're rereading so correct me), Ned reacts with total surprise because this would be as out of protocol as what happened to Ser Barristan, no?

And I think the whole point is that the Kingsguard makes a certain amount of sense in a violent era where it incentivizes the poo poo out knights to die gloriously (what with them not having much to live for), but completely shits the bed in the peace time and just turns into weird political machinations. Which is, you know, the point. Thematically it shows how short-sighted the power structures in Westeros are and then non-diegetically it creates a poo poo ton of drama.

He is surprised and unhappy about it, but the objection he voices and the ones in his head are solely about the consolidation of power by the Lannisters, not the idea of a kingsguard having those titles. But yea regardless it wouldn't be out of line for the series if someone said "Well this kingsguard can inherit anyway."

Maybe the Warden title functions different than lands and castles, since it doesn't seem tied to any specific holding?

"It's Jaime Lannister, is it not?"
Robert kicked his horse back into motion and started down the ridge toward the barrows. Ned kept pace with him. The king rode on, eyes straight ahead. "Yes," he said at last. A single hard word to end the matter.
"Kingslayer," Ned said. The rumors were true, then. He rode on dangerous ground now, he knew. "An able and courageous man, no doubt," he said carefully, "But his father is Warden of the West, Robert. In time Ser Jaime will succeed to that honor. No one man should hold both East and West." He left unsaid his real concern; that the appointment would put half the armies of the realm into the hands of the Lannisters.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

stev posted:

To me it's more like someone saying "the bride's sister's wearing red, you know what that means? :wiggle:". They both know what it means, they're just making conversation and having fun with it.

Yea, they're a few drinks in and saying to their buddy "Oh poo poo, you realize it's on now, right?!"

It's clunky but sometimes you gotta have clunky exposition to convey stuff to your audience. Could have been better but I'm not gonna lose sleep over it.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Whelp, never mind. Georgie is bad at writing?

Haha yeah, I know he hadn't fleshed out the whole series by this point but it was just confusing more than anything. It may be that the Kingsguard role/duty is more broad than seems though. I mean Jaime fully flees the capital and leads an army against the Starks and no one comments on how he's kind of not showing up to work.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Ser Cole was a dead man walking at this point, now he realises the secret is out. Joffrey sauntering up and being all "hey I know you're loving the princess" doesn't seem like the kind of thing a person good at keeping secrets would do. The fact he went straight out to the godswood to kill himself makes me think killing Joffrey was his last duty; by shutting him up and taking himself out of the picture he was protecting Rhaenyra from any accusations Alicent might make to further her sons' claims to the throne.

And yeah Kingsguards seem to get away with a lot of stuff including killing kings, which is the one thing they're explicitly not supposed to do.

I didn't like that he was just allowed to leave though. At least he should be questioned about what the gently caress just happened. Instead he wanders off to the godswood to kill himself in front of the weirwood, which doesn't make much sense for someone from the Dornish Marches. And then the queen is "sorry I can't attend the royal wedding. I need to go hang out alone with the dude who just randomly murdered a nobleman who was protected under guest rights by the most sacred custom in all of Westeros". Like maybe send along another Kingsguard when she's meeting with the guy who just smashed another man's head to pulp with his bare fists for ostensibly no reason.

Yeah him being allowed to just peace out was weird, it felt very TV logic. I could easily buy that he just like ran off and in the commotion no one followed him though. "Ser Christen fled the hall, and the king's men who gave pursuit quickly lost him" etc

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

In general it's hard to focus on that instead of marveling at how badly Christen hosed up. Dude was speedrunning the Robb Stark "have sex once and ruin your whole life" method.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

It looks like they pushed the wedding forward for reasons. There was supposed to be a whole week of celebrations with a tourney and poo poo. It definitely wasn't planned to be held in the great hall surrounded by uneaten food and rats lapping up fresh blood.

I loved that, it really communicates how fragile this entire dynasty is. Rushing the wedding of the king's heir, a once in a generation event, because you need to make sure those alliances get set before something else pops up to interfere.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ruddiger posted:

Yeah, but a fight with who? No one knows Alicent’s holding a grudge against Rhaenyra.

The entire realm is invested in the looming succession crisis because the king's current heir, Rhaenyra, is not his firstborn son, Aegon (Alicent's son). Otto is not the only one thinking what he just told Alicent, that her children's lives are in danger the moment Rhaenyra gets the crown (and probably earlier)

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

unlimited shrimp posted:

They don't have to know that particular detail for all the reasons Otto laid out.

I think my biggest complaint about the actual plot so far is that characters like Alicent need things like that spelled out for her, or that nobody is counselling Rhaenyra on her political strategy. Half the cast is guileless as Ned and sleepwalking into oblivion. I'm not sure if its intentional characterization or just a byproduct of adapting the book (which I haven't read so idk if the characters are more naive in the show).

Yeah, I think Rhaenyra's closest political advisor is Viserys, which... Doesn't bode well for her plans.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Dead forum user posted:

Why did they rush the wedding? Wasn't there supposed to be 7 days of tourneys and stuff. Judging from the previous tourney we saw, they don't care that much about minor knights getting their skulls bashed in.

The Dynasty is hanging by a thread, with a bunch of powder kegs, most of which are lit by people currently at the wedding. They want to solidify this alliance before something else goes wrong or someone makes a move, and the banquet made clear they may not even have had seven days. Even aside from Christen, just in the previous few minutes the Queen is essentially declaring her allegiance to her house and not the Targaryens, and Daemon showed up and started making out with Rhaenyra on the dance floor.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Started watching this but I can’t see half of the scenes because it’s just too loving dark even with my brightness turned all the way up. Do I just have bad eyes, a bad iPad and TV, or are the scenes just that loving dark on purpose?

It's a pretty muted show but no it shouldn't be that dark. Depending on your TV, if you're getting an HDR feed it's using Dolbyvision, which tends to be darker overall and I kind of hate it. On both Disney+ and HBO I have to crank up the brightness to see anything in Dolbyvision and I'm convinced they've done something wrong on the back end

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

bobjr posted:

Gilly might still be around. I thought she died when the crypt zombies came back to life but apparently she survived.

Wait do we literally not see her again lol

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

Proto Tyrion was giving me strong baby Iago vibes this episode. He strikes me as being very dumb this week, way overplaying his hand.

Yeah I'm gonna be really annoyed if he keeps getting away with his trash tier manipulation. "Oh I heard the princess was unwell... They even brought her TEA. Can you believe that, she was drinking TEA. Gods I hope she's healthy..." Wow well played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

roomtone posted:

why are we talking about rings of bullshit in the evil game of thrones active show thread

frodo? gently caress outta here

Found this on twitter, it's good