Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I haven't read the book this is based off of, and I only have the faintest idea of how this turns out from remembering random crap from the original ASoIaF books, but I'm getting a very different read on Prince Daemon than other people are. Everyone is referring to him as some evil prince trying to overthrow his brother, but I really am seeing a dude that has trouble not overdoing things kind of accidentally making trouble for himself when he is just trying to do right by the people he loves. The first episode showed him showing nothing but affection for his niece giving her gifts in the throne room, as well as comforting her after her mother's death and telling her that she needed to be there for her dad. His handling of the city guard was over the top, but not really seditious, just over the top because the guy has no setting below "11". He was drunk and being egged on by his men when he made his ill-fated speech (which we never see the contents of and may have only contained that one lovely line), and when the king confronts him on it, he doesn't lie but acts sheepish because he knows he hosed up. And I really DO believe that Otto Hightower is a manipulative fucker and it does seem as if Prince Daemon really does care about protecting his nerdy brother, but he's just too over the top and is coming off wrong. I mean, the guy obviously doesn't seem to want to hurt his niece and even cools off when she confronts him.

I don't know. Just my show-watcher opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
I'm actually very surprised that some people think that the show is shallow thus far. There was like 15 different things happening in that scene on Dragonstone, and all of them were very neat. I'll try to list some of them.

1) Otto is not a super great Hand of the King (there is literally a scene this episode where the king's literal hand is rotting and slowly killing him) even if he is loyal and not actively trying to destabilize the realm. He thought he could just show up and make Prince Daemon back down, because he doesn't think anyone is ballsy enough to kill The Hand of the King and several kingsguard. He badly misreads Daemon because Daemon doesn't really think things through which leads to...

2) Daemon's entire plan was to get his brother to show up on Dragonstone, but Daemon doesn't think things through. He steals an egg, lies about marrying a mistress, and lies about having a kid. What exactly was he going to say to his brother if he showed up? "LOL, sike bro, now lets sit down and have dinner."? Once this plan fell apart he started improvising, and like usual was way too intense with his reactions.

3) Otto wants the king to be isolated. I'm not sure exactly why this is, except the line from Daemon where he says Otto is an unimportant second son grasping for influence, but he is actively keeping the king isolated from other allies so that the king will take only his advice. He did not want the king meeting his brother, because it was entirely possible that the two of them would just sit down and drink some wine and probably hash out their issues.

4) Daemon's invitation was never a threat to the king no matter how hard Otto tried to make it seem like it was. Does anyone actually believe based on what we've seen so far that Daemon wants to hurt his brother? Things only got violent because a dude he hates, a dude he thinks is actively loving over his older brother showed up and talked poo poo to him.

5) Also, just to repeat it, Otto is a very lovely Hand of the King. One of the king's largest vassals has appealed to his lord that his holding are under attack and Otto is actively quashing any attempts to bring relief to that lord. This is terrible governing and even the king's teenage daughter can see this.

BONUS: The Dragonstone scene also shows how different the times are in this show. Two groups of armed men faced off with dragons on each side and not a single person was killed or even injured. loving Ned Stark literally got attacked on the street by the king's loving brother-in-law in GOT, but everyone in this show is very adverse to actually draw blood against each other.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

Starks posted:

I didnt remember Varys being a BF so I googled "Varys Blackfyre" and the first result was a wiki page about him with a bunch of poo poo that I don't remember from the books. It turns out that its a wiki for the GOT "Fanon" where I guess people have tried to finish the story for GRRM, lol

The Varys Blackfyre thing is both something that likely isn't true, yet at the same time appear completely possible based on a bunch of circumstantial evidence strengthened by the maddening void formed by the books being incomplete. Just waiting for the books led to people theorycrafting, and the entire Blackfire plot kind of came out of that.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
That chapter is creepy as gently caress, but I'm still mad that he released it early as an "Arya" Chapter. The whole goddamn point of the chapter is that it would be titled "Mercy" (because chapters are titled by their POV names) and you would have no idea it was an Arya chapter until that last part where she sheds the character she was inhabiting. It was likely supposed to be the first introduction we get of Arya in years after she joins the Faceless Men, and was going to show how she could inhabit her new "faces" so completely that even the chapter names didn't read as "Arya" anymore. Then the fat dumb-rear end leaks the chapter and spoils what Arya has been up to.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

Wait I need to know more about this poo poo I never heard of it

Just from my dim memory, the two of them ran a fan wiki ages ago when people still thought GRRM was going to finish the books. It was notable for being such a huge repository of all the minutiae from ASoIaF and "Dunk & Egg" that GRRM himself admitted that he referenced it when writing the book 5. The problem was that the two of them were super racist, and so it's completely possible they slanted some of the info on the page to reflect their beliefs. Years ago I remember being really pissed at them because they were the origin of the "Dornishmen are actually just white people" idea that eventually became the accepted canon of GoT, and which directly contradicts how the people of Dorne are described in the early books. They eventually got to help write his big Wiki-style campaign setting book which made a bunch of hairbrained poo poo they came up with as canon, and which basically wrote about every non-white place in an extremely orientalism-type manner. I haven't followed them in years, but I'm not surprised they would flip their poo poo when black people were cast as original breed Valyrians.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

So, I 100% know that Linda is a racist shithead and has regular Twitter blowups. The last thing I saw was when she called Steve Touissant a "drow" which holy loving poo poo, but I've never seen anything to suggest Elio is the same (publicly at least).

They were both asked about the worldbook thing recently, and according to Elio, they only got to write a few bits on the Free Cities- the rest was all George.

Like I said, I haven't followed them in ages, but I'm about 75% sure it was actually Elio that was totally pulling the, "there's no brown people in Dorne" crap. I wasn't aware that they wrote so little of WoIaF, but I suppose GRRM himself filled Slaver's Bay and Esssos with orientalism all by himself, so it's not surprising that it was him that did it again in the big book.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
The Velaryons, as written in the books, are just another white group of nobles with descent from the Freehold, so they don't stand out a whole lot in the GoT age. Lots of families can claim that descent because it's not like the whole race vanished in The Doom. Just the Freehold itself with all of its unknown magic and all of the Dragon Lords with their supposedly magical blood. Making them black is an inspired choice for the show though because dumb racists can't even claim that they are some weird off shoot since the Velaryon family is super pure blood of the old city, which means black people lived there as well.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

Darko posted:

At least in Fire and Blood, they have no race and Old Veleria was a city in a huge land spanning Empire that would probably include multiple races. Coming directly from the main city there wouldn't necessitate a race. Even some people in their current holdings were described as brown skinned in that book.

I believe in descriptions of them and their offspring they are described as having the "pale" complexion white hair and purple eyes of the typical Valyrian.

EDIT: Then can never show Valyria on screen because then they'd finally have to settle on whether or not GRRM was coyly describing a "modern" city with subways, paved roads, and metal and glass skyscrapers using only fantasy terms. Supposedly GRRM was a big fan of Gene Wolfe and Wolfe wrote an entire (rather awesome) series of books doing just that.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 8, 2022

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

Admiral Bosch posted:

The dragons are F15s

You guys joke, but I'm kind of half serious about GRRM potentially hiding modern-day or beyond stuff in his ASoIaF world. There is so much random stuff appearing in both the ASoIaF books as well as the Dunk & Egg books that never found its way into the TV show. GRRM was a prolific sci-fi writer years before he first published A Game of Thrones and wrote several stories about the weird civilizations that crop up on strange, dying worlds. He's also, as I said earlier, very vocal about being a fan of Gene Wolfe, particularly The Book of the New Sun series, which reads like a fantasy novel but is actually a post-interstellar Earth.

Within the books themselves, the descriptions of Valyria could be read in a variety of different ways depending on whether you accept that their "endless towers" or "stone roads without seams" are a result of "magic" like people of the world believe or whether those are just ways for ignorant people to describe skyscrapers and concrete roads.

Or you have Asshai-by-the-Shadow, a massive city at the edge of the Essos that is larger than all cities known to man combined but is almost uninhabited because everyone that tries to stay there too long gets strangely sick and/or dies. Where the food and water must be shipped in because trying to eat anything that grows there makes you sick and kills you. Where there is tons of gold to be had, but keeping the gold makes you feel sick. Where, "the waters of the Ash glisten black beneath the noonday sun and glimmer with green phosphorescence by night. The only fish that dwell in its water are blind and deformed, and only fools and shadowbinders dare eat their flesh." A place where you can't have children because they always come out malformed. Weird magic cursed place, or exclusion zone of a nuclear meltdown? You tell me.

There's a bunch of other random tidbits he drops throughout the stories (don't even get me started on the weird seasons) which just make people wonder whether he was farting around writing a sci-fi story where all the characters think they were in a fantasy story.

EDIT: Or the entire thing where the Targaryens apparently never suffered any ill results from their incest until they started out crossing with non-Targs and then went back to incesting. Or that Targaryens do seem to be immune to diseases that affect everyone else. Weird magic blood, or were the Dragonlords genetically altered people who didn't suffer from inbreeding issues or diseases and those alterations started being lost when they started loving outside the specifically managed lines?

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Sep 9, 2022

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I think it's also mentioned that anyone who approaches the ruins of Valyria starts to get boils and have their hair fall out. The Stone Men are the only ones who can survive there for any length of time.

Basically people don't normally go near Valyria at all because sailors think it is cursed and you can only get there by boat because THE DOOM turned it into an island. Boats that travel to Valyria essentially never return. In the actual GoT books, Euron Greyjoy is a much more interesting character than his show version, and the way he convinces the other Ironmen to follow him is that he claims he sailed to Valyria and he saw....things...there and learned many secrets, and also look at all of this weird loving poo poo I brought back with me. He might have travelled there, he might be full of poo poo, but he definitely seems to know something that no one else knows.

The other person that might have travelled to Valyria is a Targ princess who tries to ride the Black Dread, the original OG Targ dragon. I'll put this part in spoiler text even though it happens a generation before HoTD. She tries to ride the Black Dread and vanishes for quite a long time. Everyone is pretty sure she'll be easy to find because the dragon is half the size of a castle and has to eat a herd of animals a day. But ages go by with no sighting of the princess or the dragon. Everyone assumes she fell off because she was too young to ride a dragon, and that eventually the dragon will turn up because...come on...how can something that big just vanish? Quite some time later all the dragons in Kingslanding scream and the Black Dread appears on the horizon and lands in the middle of the Red Keep. The princess is really hosed up and ranting, and the people that treat her literally hide what they see from even the king and queen, and the only reason we have any hints is because they forgot to burn everything they wrote while treating her. She basically cooks from the inside and then her body explodes out as assorted "monsters" escape her and then die. It's assumed that because she couldn't control the dragon, that he just flew back to his old home in Valyria, and that she was trapped there this whole time where god knows what happened to her. But the really hosed up part is...well...the loving dragon was injured too. The gigantic, nearly indestructible, mean as gently caress Black Dread was beat to poo poo and had deep wounds on his body. Whatever is on Valyria is scary as gently caress.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Well yeah, I don't think it will have major effects on the plot of ASoIaF (if he ever finishes), but I do think he is having fun hiding things like that in the story. I disagree with the idea that ASoIaF isn't deep, because I think it's quite the opposite. The books (mostly 1-3 sadly) are multi-level with their plots. You have what's happening right in front from the chapter's POV character, what's really happening in that scene that you have to interpret as the reader with multiple POVs to work with, and then there's the "real" plots that are hidden underneath all of that.

Believe it or not, before the show made it blatantly obvious, there were people that never picked up on Jon Snow's parents, Renly and Loras being lovers, The Hound surviving his "death scene" with Arya, etc. And there are still mysteries book readers haven't figured out because the show never touched them. Who gently caress is Young Griff, how old is The Night's Watch (it's not as old as it claims to be), what are the glass candles and who is that Archmaester whose name pops up like 17 different times as being the teacher of assorted mages, why the gently caress does Dany remember a lemon tree and a red door from her childhood when she spent that whole childhood in a place with no lemon trees? To name just a few.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
I think people ascribing any kind of "plan" to Daemon's actions are really overthinking things. The guy's overwhelming character traits are a) starting things without thinking them through, and b) digging himself deeper into poo poo when he gets called out on (a).

There has been some pretty apparent sexual tension between him and Rheneyra since episode 1, and I think after their conversation about being trapped in marriages he was genuinely trying to help her relax with a night on the town. He got drunk and made the impulsive decision to gently caress her in the brothel, and then had a moment of clarity and ran off before doing the deed. Then, while hungover, he got called on it and proceeded to enact character trait (b) and mouth off in exactly the wrong way to his brother. I don't think there was any thought behind any of this. The dude is just YOLOing through life and leaving an absolute mess for the king to constantly clean up.

Blind Pineapple posted:

Viserys finally showing some spine and putting his foot down on the whole mess is great because it's going to lead to his greatest fear: Making a decision and it having bad consequences.

Yeah, this episode was really fun in that several people made the right choices at the wrong times. Daemon didn't actually have sex with the princess, but no one is going to believe that. Otto Hightower was telling the king the truth for once but his past manipulations colored it badly. And Viserys finally laid down the law with all the troublemakers in his court, but it's something he should have done years ago because now the whole thing is a big pile of dominos ready to fall.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
I think wanting to gently caress her was "premeditated" in the sense that he seemed to be close to her before he vanished for 4 years, and now he's back and she is a "woman grown". I don't doubt that he took her out so they could have a place to finally get down. I just don't think he had plans beyond that. Like was said previously, he likely realizes he is about to hurt his brother and screw up her life, so he runs off.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

There's definitely more to Matt Daemon than just being an impulsive hothead. We've been shown he has knowledge of the hidden passages around the Red Keep, allowing him to spy on the Small Council and pop into Rhaenyra's private chambers. That's deeply hidden knowledge that some rear end in a top hat second son isn't going to stumble upon by accident.

Up until this episode I'd thought that Otto was the schemer, with spies in the brothel in the first episode goading Daemon into saying something dumb. But with it revealed that Mysaria is one of his moles, maybe Daemon has been deliberately using her to feed disinformation to Otto. While very hungover, he doesn't seem too surprised to see her getting a bag of coin from some street urchin. He made a deliberate show in the brothel of "hey look! Targaryens gonna gently caress", without actually going ahead with it. I think Rhaenyra responding in kind was unanticipated, and there's no way he'd expect her to return to the Keep with her horn on ready to gently caress Ser Criston, which could be interesting if she decides not to drink the moon tea. I've no idea what happens in the book but them ending the episode with that tea suggests it's going to play some role later.

The scene with Otto preparing to tell the King his daughter is a horny uncle fucker changed my mind about him. He's ambitious, sure, but he really didn't want to tell Viserys. Him psyching himself up, knowing that this was going to turn into a shitshow, but feeling duty-bound to speak what he believed to be the truth, changed my opinion of him. That the 'facts' he'd been presented with didn't match reality suggest he's being fed disinfo in order to bring him down. Daemon spying on and smirking at the Small Council when Otto is doing his "anyone but Daemon" rhetoric in episode 1 suggests that he had plans to take Otto out.

Politics aside, I hope a dragon steps on some more people in future episodes.

I've been a huge proponent of Daemon just being a dumbass, but your argument is really good. I'm going to have to think on that.

What's really funny about this show is that because the book it's based off of is a historical re-telling of events using dubious sources, book readers actually don't know what's going to happen in a lot of these episodes, or what's going through people's minds. I'm now a dirty book-reader (read the whole thing about a week ago), but those of us in the spoiler thread had no idea what actually was going to happen this week. The maester just records that Daemon was kicked out of the city...again...and goes off on several theories all ranging around accusations that he deflowered the princess. But the show swerved on us and he actually didn't! The biggest "vague" part of the story comes next week, as it's the only part where all of the maester's sources are really untrustworthy and there's no clear idea what kicked off what comes next.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
The kid was a Blackwood and I'm pretty sure the teenager was a from House Bracken. A running joke in all of the novels is that whenever someone makes the mistake of inviting members of both families to the same place then they will find some excuse to get in a fight and kill each other. They are neighboring houses, and have been feuding so long no one remembers why they hate each other. They literally will take opposite sides on any conflict just so they have an excuse to invade each other's lands and kill each other.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

There's a video of the cast reading the battle of winterfell script and when it gets to the "Arya kills the night king" part they all hoot and cheer like a bunch of complete morons and Maisie beams like she's just won the superbowl. It's a cute moment until you realize just how shallow and vapid the whole thing is. There's a video series out there where some random nerd lays out his ideas for the final season and it's shockingly better than what they did. He's not even a book reader, just a dork who took a second to think about some good ways to wrap up individual plot lines.

E: here's the link in case anyone's interested. It's not a masterpiece retelling but it's far superior in just about every way.

Wow, he even incorporates the whole "Lightbringer" thing that most book readers kind of knew had to be coming eventually. In book 2, Davos gets told one of the (many) versions of the story of the Long Night, and the guy telling it mentions that all the swords broke except for the one that was quenched in the heart of the bearer's lover, and since then most book readers have been assuming that either Dany or Jon are going to have to kill the other.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
What went wrong with the later seasons is really complicated, and a lot of it falls to D&D being really poor storytellers. The problem was that GRRM told them how the books end, but the show went a totally different direction than the books and the characters of the same name were really different people. Like, there is overwhelming evidence that GRRM's original intent was to gently caress with our ideas of "heroes" and "villains" by having the readers slowly switch their views on a couple of key people over the 7 books. The prime example is Jaime and Tyrion. Jaime's introduction is pushing Bran out a window (BOO! HISS!) and Tyrion's is being loving awesome. But GRRM's intent was to slowly have those two switch roles through the story. As we learn more about Jaime we start to understand that he is a lot more complicated than our first impression, while in contrast the more time we spend with Tyrion to more we see that his bitterness is overtaking him and swallowing up his better qualities. Tyrion's entire world collapses when Shae testifies against him and all the lords and ladies laugh at him. Finding out that his first love (the girl he married as a teenager) was NOT a whore, but really in love with him, and that his own beloved brother hid that from him breaks him. This leads to him finding Dany and pouring poo poo tons of poison into her ears. Just egging her on to become more violent, more sadistic, tricking her into carrying out the revenge on all the people that hurt him in life. But Peter Dinklage is handsome and fun, so instead Tyrion stays a good guy and there's no where for his plot to go...

And on that note, the biggest (organic) change from book to show was Dany. Lindsay Ellis covers this whole thing a lot better, but TL;DR is that giving show Dany the ending meant for book Dany does not work, because they are not the same character. Show Dany is sometimes misguided, wrong, or in over her head. She makes mistakes, some of them are big. But show Dany is a good person. Over and over again the show portrays a young woman that wants to do the right thing, and sometimes sacrifices the easy path to do that right thing. I know people think show Dany was a psycho sometimes, but that's just because you haven't seen book Dany. Book Dany is a shrewd, intelligent conqueror, who finds ruler-ship boring and ill fitting to her style. She keeps her plans close to her chest, has no close friends, and is also...and I cannot stress this last part enough...absolutely loving insane. She is a paranoid narcissist who thinks that wizards are appearing before her to share prophecies and warn her about the people around her betraying her. She fundamentally trusts nobody, especially the people most loyal to her, because she cannot conceive that other people might not be scheming against her. She huffs her own farts and thinks that she is a god that cannot get sick, be poisoned, or be stopped in anyway. She constantly contemplates how much easier it would be if she just let her dragons eat everyone whenever a problem arises. She is the absolute perfect patsy for Tyrion, and the ending shown in the show absolutely fits the character. But that's not who show Dany is, so instead it's poo poo.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
There are 18 dragons alive at this point, including several wild dragons living on Dragonstone. This article lists them all but has spoilers for who their future riders will be, so beware.

EDIT: So people don't need to spoil themselves to see the names of the dragons

Syrax (Princess Rhaenyra)
Caraxes (Daemon)
Seasmoke (Laenor Velaryon)
Meleys - "The Red Queen" (Rhaenys Targaryen)
Tessarion - "The Blue Queen" (unridden)
Dreamfyre (unridden) (also likely the mother to Dany's three dragons)
Vhagar (unridden) (the last of the original three dragons that conquered the 6 kingdoms)
Sunfyre (unridden)
Vermithor (unridden)
Silverwing (unridden)
Sheepstealer, Cannibal, and Grey Ghost (wild dragons living on Dragonstone)

There are a few others but I'm not sure if they've been hatched yet at this point in the story.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 16, 2022

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
The focus of the story is a hell of a lot tighter than GoT for sure. It's basically this one small group of people love them or hate them vs. the large multi-continent story lines of the first story.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
I love that right up to the end there Rhaenyra was still tempting Daemon by implying she's game if he thinks he can pull off kidnapping her. She really is chaotic and wild like her uncle.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
It's been about 5 years since we saw her as the child bride and she was 12 then, so now she is 17. She actually was never that much younger than the princess.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, what other people have said about her position and children being threatened is very much a part of it, but a huge part is that she's very, very gay for Rhaenyra. Or at least IMO.

Emily Carey identifies as queer and has flat out said that there were parts of the show where she and Milly thought that their characters were about to kiss at certain points. So, no, it wasn't only you that saw a lot of gay angst between them.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
I have a slightly more nuanced view of Otto as the Hand. As Viserys says, "Everyone on the Small Council is self-interested...", the trick for the king is to always see where their self interest lies and try to account for that in counsel. Otto is actually a pretty easy person to gauge his self interest because he is not subtle at all. On that matter, so is Corlys. They both give advice with their self-interest easy to see on their sleeves. For example, Corlys is pushing for a war in the Stepstones not only because it's good for the realm (maybe?) but mostly because he makes all his money off sea trade and it's crimping his profits. Corlys is pushing for marrying one of his kids into the dynasty not just because it would stabilize the realm, but mostly because he is harboring a giant grudge because his wife was never made queen. So when dealing with advice from Corlys, the king has to keep all that in mind and take the guy's hissy-fits in stride when he chooses to weigh the realm above the wants of Lord Corlys Velaryon. I mean, for fucks sake, Corlys suggested his own son be the heir in the first episode.

Otto is very similar. It's really obvious what his self-interest is, and everyone can see it. He constantly makes suggestions that would bring his grandson closer to the throne, but when he's NOT doing that, his advice is pretty solid. The kingdom probably SHOULD stay out of war in the Stepstones. Daemon IS a giant chaos elemental and absolutely should never be let near the throne. Rhaenyra IS more like her uncle than her dad, and might be a similar chaos elemental if she gets the throne.

When you remove Otto you now have to start asking, what does the new Hand want? What is his self-interest? What does Lyonel Strong want? Most viewers seem to love the dude. He gives great advice and never seems to be pushing his self interest. So what is his self-interest? Both his sons are at court. One of his sons was planting poison seeds in the Queen's ear. Did his dad tell him to do that? Did he do it on his own? The fact that we have no clue is what makes the Strongs so much more dangerous than Otto ever was.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Yeah why’d they do this? They can’t make her look 10 years older with some makeup? I find that hard to believe

I’m remembering the last season of Vikings where they had Lagertha basically look the same except add some gray hair and more scars despite something like 40 years having passed from the beginning

They cast the older characters first and then cast their teen versions. 90% of the real meat of this story takes place between the adult Princess & Queen, so they cast good actresses for those roles and then worked backwards.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

I haven’t watched the lotr show yet (waiting for the episodes to all be released so I can binge it) but I thought people hated it because it stared a woman or poc or something, no?

There absolutely is a large contingent of the usual odious online males review bombing the show because of those reasons, and just to spite them I went into the show wanting to like it. It's a very baffling written show, with obvious high production values and immense effort put into the setting, costumes, and score. But then it has bizarre dialog and plot choices that really make you wonder who is writing it. The dwarves are awesome though. Them and the elf ranger protecting a group of dumb human bumpkins are both good TV and show what the show could be if it was better written.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
The "maesters' conspiracy" is absolutely 99.9% likely not true, and is one of those theories born out of the insanity of fans waiting for the books to come out. However, much like the Varys Blackfyre theory, once you hear/read it you cannot stop noticing that everything seems to be lining up towards it being true. So no, mentioning it is not really a spoiler because it's not real. It can't be real... can it?

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

Mameluke posted:

edit: ya it's fanservice irrelevant to the plot but it makes the show feel bigger and more like the books that piqued our interest. Like how the lack of food and fun clothing made GoT worse than it already was

Yeah, they are throwing an immense amount of deep cut book nerd fan service into this show, and it's funny because I sound like a lunatic when I'm trying to explain why the scene of Criston and the princess making love being shot as if through peepholes in a wall is a reference to the spying eyes in the walls of the week. It's like try to explain why this image:

is so loving funny to someone that hasn't spent a decade on ASoIaF forums waiting for the next book to come out.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

roomtone posted:

it's hilarious that hotd and 'ring man' is evil war.

i read exactly zero news, so i'm only hearing about this from here, and i guess it's like - lord of ring casted a black.................but house of the dragon also casted many black people, and the show rules....so i don't get it.

The usual gang of dumb asses also tried to claim that HotD was too woke because of the mixed casting (beyond Coryls the show also has a bunch of non-white background extras as guards/maesters/etc.). They did the same thing for Sandman as well. They're only a really loud minority signal boosted by algorithms, click-bait articles, and the presence of review aggregators like IMDB. The reason why it didn't stick with HotD is because a metric shitload of people are watching the show and liking it, while RoP is getting a much cooler reception.

EDIT: Also, the incredible irony is that the PoC cast in RoP are knocking it out of the park and are in the best parts of the show, so the complaints from the internet males are off base on why the show is doing poorly.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Something my wife pointed out to me a couple days ago was that HotD managed to put stakes into things besides "will this character die?" Like, for example, we know that half the cast of RoP won't die because they are named characters with fates already described in later books. Yet, many of these characters are thrown into combat situations which lack suspense because we know they'll live. Meanwhile, episode 5 of HotD had immense amount of tension based around the idea, "will Prince Daemon start dry humping his niece at her own wedding party?" And goddamn, there is definitely suspense there because we don't know...he just might!

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

Typo posted:

it's pretty obvs that Griffington will be the one to sack/destroy king's landing

the bells ringing which made Dany go on insane murderous rampage make complete sense if it makes Connington do the same.

His entire backstory is him feeling guilt/regret for not burning down a city during the battle of the bells to kill Robert when he had the chance. His failure led to the death of his love Rhaegar. His core motivation is to fix that one mistake by putting "Rhaegar's son" on the throne. The implications are obvious.

Interesting interpretation. I actually thought it was going to be the presence of young Griff that would drive Dany over the edge. A charismatic young man claiming to be the real heir, who the people love, who is already king by the time she arrives, combined with Dany spiralling into schizophrenia and Tyrion whispering foul things into her ear. That might be because I am brain poisoned by the Blackfyre theory though....

...Then again, Young Griff can't really be Rhegar's son, right? He has to be a Blackfyre. Goddamnit GRRM finish the books.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

Mameluke posted:

Young Griff is the son of Illyrio Mopatis and his dead wife Saera, whose brother Varys is among the last living Blackfyres. This is all basically textual

I 100% agree with this, because as I said, the Varys Blackfyre theory works so goddamn well. But we're still waiting to see if we're right about it.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
The concepts of summers and winters in the World of Ice & Fire is also different than our own. Summers and Winters have different severity during different cycles. Many times "Summer" just means a period of years where the weather is ideal for growing crops followed by several years where the weather becomes cooler and less ideal for that. Winter is felt worse in the North and less so in the South where often crops can continue to be grown. "Bad" Winters are ones where it snows for a straight year, even the South can't grow anything, and a quarter of the population of the North ends up dying. Those happen very rarely, and at the beginning of GoT they haven't happened within the living memory of most people. Ironically, Fire and Blood does mention the seasons shifting. It's just that most of the time it's not worth mentioning because it was not a bad cycle. A bad Winter does happen in that book though, but I won't talk about it because it happens within the scope of this very show.

EDIT: They also last an inconsistent number of years. Some Summers last a decade, some last only a year or two. The only consistent thing is that the longer a Summer lasts, the worse the following Winter will be. Summer in the beginning of GoT has lasted longer than lots of people have been alive, so that's kind of why the Starks are really concerned about the coming Winter.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 25, 2022

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

Punkin Spunkin posted:

kinda wish we'd seen laena finding and taming vhagar...seems like a big deal

Fun fact! They actually did film Laena doing just that, but choose to cut the scene. It was a pre-timeskip scene that would have occurred when she was still a teen. I was actually surprised that they didn't have her fly into the wedding next to her mom and brother last episode. Lots of us were convinced the shot would open with those two, and then Vhagar would come into the scene dwarfing the other two dragons. Seriously, Vhagar is loving huge. She takes shits bigger than the other dragons.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
I just want to comment to say that the people making this season must be huge fans of the books because they are throwing in so much foreshadowing and flat out buried references to future events that it's absolutely stunning. When this series is finally done people re-watching it are going to laugh at how so many events that occur way later are being straight referenced, but viewers are missing it because it's being done so well.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Someone just pointed out to me that they actually changed the opening this episode. The angles on the big family tree have shifted showing different family crests, and the number of blood streams has changed to reflect Alicent's and Rhaenyra's additional children.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Y'all have no idea how much the rat thing is breaking some people's brains in the GoT theory-crafting areas of the internet.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

Mameluke posted:

Preston thinks Larys is a greenseer (???) but giving the Blackwoods a big role makes sense if you want to eventually do a Blackfyre show under this series' title, because Bloodraven needs to be essentially redone entirely

Like I said a bit back, all those rats are driving the conspiracy theory people into a frenzy.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
EDIT: I'm just going to edit the whole thing out. It was a video analyzing Rhaenyra's poor politicking style (not a book spoiler, just an analysis of how she as acts in the first scene of episode 4). It mentioned the Blackwoods and Brackens and their feud. I guess that's a spoiler despite being mentioned again in episode 6. Whatever.

I'm actually impressed I'm on someone's ignore list for GoT spoilers of all things, I don't even remember posting that much in those threads back then, especially when that was a time when people were intentionally spoiling goons with avatars and FYAD having its name changed to spoilers every other week.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Sep 29, 2022

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
LOL, I'm actually curious what I could have been posting back then. 11 years ago would have been...season 1? I didn't even watch that season live because I distinctly remember not owning HBO back then, and there wasn't streaming in those ancient days, so I couldn't have been catching up until they did re-runs before season 2.

FAKE EDIT: I think that's correct. I only started posting in the hiatus thread. A whole 15 posts across 112 pages. One being that Renly being gay was supported by the text, several being "Oh, they cut a Ned flashback scene." (it was the Tower of Joy, but I never say what was in the flashback or even say that name), and and one being a description of Dany's nightmares before she wakes up and jumps in the bonefire (a book 1 event that already passed by the time I was posting in the hiatus thread). I'm wondering which of those got me put on ignore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Add me to the book readers that got totally swerved on this episode. What a great ending scene! The book obviously records that he was killed by his gay lover and uses the event to further poo poo on the nefarious Daemon, but whoops, the guy actually showed sympathy for his brother-in-law and set up a way for him to escape his lovely situation free and clear while still providing the princess with what she needed. It was loving masterful.