Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

This is the second half of Cilia's flashback and we are on the lam. This part of the game was a lot of fun to play through, albeit with a bit of frustration in parts. The trial and error are in full effect here as there are a lot of ways to fail, especially with a puzzle two thirds into the video which wasn't a fun time trying to work out even with the clue.

There is an audio glitch at the 14:27 mark, it's a bit of a weird one as it begins when I start an action and ends when I finish it, it seems to have affected my microphone as well. I thought that I had screened this beforehand but this slipped by me and I apologise. I hope that it doesn't detract from things too much.

The next video is going to start off slightly differently as things are starting getting serious at this point in time. I have already recorded the next two updates and will be planning another soon. I'm thoroughly enjoying playing this game, part of me wishes that I started this sooner but it feels like this is happening at the right time. The more that this goes on the more that I'm looking forward to seeing what's going to happen next.

Bonus Videos
Additional Dialogue - Cilia

There wasn't a lot of extra content for Cilia. There were some extra dialogue options with Cilia in the bar and with Barman at the inspection station. I've also included several fail states throughout the game, the ones involving the authorities are pretty much all the same results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
To answer at least one of your questions from the first part: It's not that Parker has a lot of expensive stuff despite them being poor. You have the cause and effect reversed. They're poor because he has all that expensive stuff. Conceptually, the idea of a species with three biological genders has a lot of potential, but I feel like they really squandered it here by going with "Alpha Male" and "Beta Male" and splitting human gender stereotypes between them - Females are good with technology, Betas have all the domestic skills, Alphas are obsessed with their appearance and spending money, etc.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Nidoking posted:

To answer at least one of your questions from the first part: It's not that Parker has a lot of expensive stuff despite them being poor. You have the cause and effect reversed. They're poor because he has all that expensive stuff. Conceptually, the idea of a species with three biological genders has a lot of potential, but I feel like they really squandered it here by going with "Alpha Male" and "Beta Male" and splitting human gender stereotypes between them - Females are good with technology, Betas have all the domestic skills, Alphas are obsessed with their appearance and spending money, etc.

I have to admit that I did start reading the entries, but as soon as I saw the males divided into Alpha and Beta I felt like I had read enough already.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video:

The killer is trying to do all that they can to stop us from finding them, including trying to take us out. I need to stop the exploration from this point on for two reasons, I need to take some time out to save Alias' life and I'm also starting to run out of time in general. From this point on, things are going to start becoming a little more intense as I'm going to have to concentrate purely on plot progress for the foreseeable future.

The next video has already been recorded and I've planned out the majority of the update to follow. Time is starting to run out quickly and I'm already working out some important and interesting things to skip in order to complete the game in time. There's most likely going to be a number of additional content videos popping up after the main game is over.

Bonus Videos

Additional Dialogue - Click Snap Snap Rattle

There wasn't a whole lot of extra dialogue with Click Snap Snap Rattle. I've included some of the alternative dialogue from the initial chat and some extra dialogue during the flashback. There is some extra dialogue with the policeman as he is chasing you, but it happens entirely randomly. I did try to record the dialogue but out of the numerous attempts at getting past him and failing, they only triggered once and that was during a failed attempt in the main playthrough.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Sep 12, 2022

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
If you put in a single bug leg on its own (before any other ingredients) and analyze, does the processor identify which bug it belonged to like if you had put in a whole bug? If so, I think they can all be worked out without savescumming:

- The mantis doesn't have wings, so you know it's not Crackle Snap Plop. Pull one leg and check it in the processor to find out which of the other two it is, then flush. (Even if it does turn out to be Crunch Crunch, it still has 5 legs left, so this is safe to do.)

- The butterfly only has four legs, so you know it's not Crunch Crunch. Put it whole in the processor and analyze, and you've now identified all three bugs, as the dragonfly will be whichever one the processor hasn't announced yet.

- Either flush if the butterfly was Twitter Peep or just leave it in if it was Crackle, then add the remaining ingredients accordingly and you're done!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Zyxyz posted:

If you put in a single bug leg on its own (before any other ingredients) and analyze, does the processor identify which bug it belonged to like if you had put in a whole bug? If so, I think they can all be worked out without savescumming:

- The mantis doesn't have wings, so you know it's not Crackle Snap Plop. Pull one leg and check it in the processor to find out which of the other two it is, then flush. (Even if it does turn out to be Crunch Crunch, it still has 5 legs left, so this is safe to do.)

- The butterfly only has four legs, so you know it's not Crunch Crunch. Put it whole in the processor and analyze, and you've now identified all three bugs, as the dragonfly will be whichever one the processor hasn't announced yet.

- Either flush if the butterfly was Twitter Peep or just leave it in if it was Crackle, then add the remaining ingredients accordingly and you're done!

That's a really clever way of thinking, I'll give it a try when I finish work tonight and report back.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The next video is all planned out and ready for recording. It was quite an interesting one to work through as it involves a lot of red herrings but I worked it out in the end. I'm definitely cutting out most of the unnecessary actions that aren't related to the end game as I feel like even now I'll be cutting it close.

Zyxyz posted:

I've just tested this out and not only does this method work there's also unique dialogue when you press the green button which I'll add to the video that will include Fleebix's extra dialogue. I'm planning to compile a comprehensive guide once the game has been completed and if I manage to get it done I'll include this and give you credit. Nidoking has been extra helpful with some areas too which I'm very grateful for.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'm going to post the next update tomorrow night. Well, tonight for me as its almost 1am here. I decided to record another update after work which ended up being over an hour long in length. I've already split the video at a certain part to make it into another two-parter.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is the second half of trying to save Alias's life and we get to see a couple of new areas in the Thirty Tentacle. I take a closer look at the log section in this video where several important pieces of information are kept on record. We also discover a new problem while we are trying to save Alias' life which we will deal with in the following update. The next update has been recorded, I just need to work on the additional content.

Bonus content - Terminal Entries

Planets - There are Twenty-one different planets listed in the terminal so I've uploaded them to their own Imgur gallery.

I may have to invest in a new microphone at some point in the future as it's starting to get increasingly unreliable.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

We start this video off by trying to hunt down the signal jammer which is in a location which we haven't visited yet. There isn't a whole lot that you can do in this location unless you have the right objections, one of those happens to be the nose plugs that we picked up. I mixed up a drink in an effort to save a bit of time but that was rendered moot as I had to spend time returning to The Lily Pad to pick up an object that I missed on our first visit there. We have almost concluded all of the available flashbacks as there is one more left to finish. This flashback was an extremely lengthy one considering the lack of things that we actually need to do. Not only have I had to make it a two-parter I've also had re-recorded a location for this update as I missed out on an extra eleven minutes of content originally. I've been recording extra content this morning and hadn't poked around in The Loubre enough the first time around to trigger an event.

I have almost finished recording the extra content for this flashback, I'll include the video with the second update.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 18, 2022

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I have run into a problem. I'm currently playing through the final flashback and one of the most important parts of it is using a computer. For some reason, one of the most important screens on the computer is cut off:

It3s meant to say "Include On The Team" on the right-hand side and there are supposed to be check boxes next to their names. I'm not sure what I can do at this point in time to resolve this.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 16, 2022

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've managed to find a way to complete the flashback despite the difficulties. I'm going to have to go back in and flesh it out some more as I believed that time was critical and I've put together an absolutely barebones way of getting through it. I've been left with tons of time to fill.

The issue I have now is that after completing the flashback, the character has bugged out when I "Chat" to them afterwards.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Sep 17, 2022

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The final flashback is bugged for me at this point in time and there is no way to complete the game without completing the flashback.

I wasn't sure whether it was the game or a corrupted save file so I decided to go through each file one by one. I've managed to find a save file where the flashback isnt bugged but it means replaying through Clicks and Bettakers flashbacks again, as well as getting the antidote and turning off the jamming device. If it gets bugged again I'll just do the missing flashback first and then work something out in editing. Either way, it'll be quicker than restarting the whole game again.

I'll most likely be posting the second half of Bettakers flashback tonight and then I'll work on the above shenanigans.

Edit: Grammar.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Sep 17, 2022

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

After doing some more testing, it turns out that the game is indeed bugged. The next character who I'm going to approach originally enters the bar alone and is later joined by another character. If you do the flashback while they are alone then there are no issues. If you do the flashback when they are joined by the other character then the game becomes unwinnable as the character won't "Chat" to you once the flashback is complete. (Edit: I've recorded a video of the bug which I may include with the update.)

The only way around it at this point is to load up an older save, complete the flashback and then replay the game up to the point where I am now. The issue is that recording it at an earlier point means the continuity has gone completely out of the window. I'm going to have to record some additional footage with the current save file and edit the conversation with the other character and the small scenes of footage that contain him in the video. I'll need to replay the other flashbacks in between which means that all of the randomised numbers in the log will be different when I access it again. It's going to take a little while to get back to where I am right now, I can skip through anything that isn't important during the flashbacks and will try to recreate everything as accurately as I can in the bar. I'll need to complete the flashback in the current save file so I can finish the next update with the new save at the same time to make it fair.

I will try to record some additional footage with some of the characters that I missed out in the main playthrough to keep content coming and also to break up the monotony of having to redo everything all over again.

Bonus Videos

I said earlier that I was going to post the second half of Bettaker's flashback but I had forgotten that I had only posted the first half only yesterday. The second half is longer than the first half so I've decided to give it another day or two. For now, I've decided to give you a tour of the toilets\bathrooms in The Thirty Tentacle:

Toilet Tour

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'm going through the cast list at the moment and it seems like Alan Rickman played a number of characters in this game, as did John DiMaggio.

Alan Rickman:

quote:

The Thirsty Tentacle: My and Ty, Fission Twins #1 and #2 & Slot Machine.
Auditon (Click Snap Snap Rattle) Flashback: Laboratory Insects.
Sraffan (Devin-7) Flashback: Quosh-23
Trisecks (Cilia) Flashback: Parker.
Vedj (Seedrot) Flashback: Dr. Root, Pestkaput, Little Woody, Chemist, Foliage Club President.
Vildroid (Bettaker) Flashback: Uvalzee Town Hall Door.

John DiMaggio:

quote:

The Thirsty Tentacle: Click Snap Snap Rattle and Ni'Dopal.
Auditon (Click Snap Snap Rattle) Flashback: Click Snap Snap Rattle, Ding Dong Cough Gasp, "Drug Smuggler Safe House"
Salivraster and Neblitz (Fleebix and Thud) Flashback: Chundar, Yirk, Quantelope Lodge Doorman.
Vedj (Seedrot) Flashback: Postman, Reunion Attendee.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This video is longer than the first half of Bettaker's flashback, but most of this update is spent waiting around and listening. This was a hard one to keep replaying as you can skip the time but you can't skip the commentary. I don't have any further updates lined up for the first time in a while. I'm still preparing for the next flashback and have just finished taking thirty-four screenshots in preparation as it's going to take a lot of reading to understand what's going on entirely. I will give a brief rundown of the relevant parts when I record it, which will most likely be within the next couple of days. There is one more flashback to go and then I'll be preparing for the end game.

Bonus Videos

There's quite a lot of missed content with Bettaker. There were some additional lines of dialogue that I missed in the initial "chat" with Bettaker, plus additional lines of dialogue with Commentmaker and Pictureguarder. Most of the missed content is from this update including going onto the field at the wrong time, with the incorrect equipment and with doing the wrong order while "arguing with the referee". There's also a lot of missed dialogue with the President, I didn't realise you have a completely different dialogue tree with him if you don't put in the black chip.

Additional Dialogue - Bettaker

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I think this flashback was my favorite part of the game by far, just because of the overarching humor that characterizes it and how subtle (and missable) the punchline to the whole thing is. The basis of Vildroid society is that Vildroids were created a long time ago by beings who appear, from all the evidence we have, to be human, as simple service droids. As humans do, the Creators upgraded the Vildroids over time, but shortly after they created the Mark IV Vildroids, they all disappeared, leaving no record of what had happened to them. The Vildroids, left with no one to serve, had to fill in the roles that the Creators had formerly filled in society, without understanding why any of those roles needed filling. All they knew was that the Creators used to do these things, and now no one was doing them, so if they were going to be done, it would have to be the Vildroids that would do them. In the flashback, we're many generations later, and most of the Vildroids were built long after the Creators vanished. They continue to fill their assigned roles, still with no idea why they're doing them or what purpose any of it serves. If you paused to read what little was available of the rules of Veebleball, you'll see probably the best example of how that works. The originator of Veebleball as a droid that brought its owner snacks during portions of sports programs when it wouldn't be interrupting the game, and based on what it saw, it recreated the sport as you see it in the game, with events like Chalk Line Drawing, Zamboni Racing, and Water Cooler Tossing. The museum exhibit is also fascinating to me personally, since it's a race of beings that distinctly can't appreciate art acting out the appreciation of art.

When you finally get the Mark IV chip at the end of the flashback, I think you can look in your Log and find at least some of the same menu items as Bettaker has in the present, including the listing of the code anomaly. It's an instruction to chop up humans, with a comment saying "Just seeing whether you guys in QA are awake." Apparently, they weren't, and the reason that the Mark IV Vildroids were the last ones to see living Creators is obvious.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Nidoking posted:

I think this flashback was my favorite part of the game by far, just because of the overarching humor that characterizes it and how subtle (and missable) the punchline to the whole thing is. The basis of Vildroid society is that Vildroids were created a long time ago by beings who appear, from all the evidence we have, to be human, as simple service droids. As humans do, the Creators upgraded the Vildroids over time, but shortly after they created the Mark IV Vildroids, they all disappeared, leaving no record of what had happened to them. The Vildroids, left with no one to serve, had to fill in the roles that the Creators had formerly filled in society, without understanding why any of those roles needed filling. All they knew was that the Creators used to do these things, and now no one was doing them, so if they were going to be done, it would have to be the Vildroids that would do them. In the flashback, we're many generations later, and most of the Vildroids were built long after the Creators vanished. They continue to fill their assigned roles, still with no idea why they're doing them or what purpose any of it serves. If you paused to read what little was available of the rules of Veebleball, you'll see probably the best example of how that works. The originator of Veebleball as a droid that brought its owner snacks during portions of sports programs when it wouldn't be interrupting the game, and based on what it saw, it recreated the sport as you see it in the game, with events like Chalk Line Drawing, Zamboni Racing, and Water Cooler Tossing. The museum exhibit is also fascinating to me personally, since it's a race of beings that distinctly can't appreciate art acting out the appreciation of art.

When you finally get the Mark IV chip at the end of the flashback, I think you can look in your Log and find at least some of the same menu items as Bettaker has in the present, including the listing of the code anomaly. It's an instruction to chop up humans, with a comment saying "Just seeing whether you guys in QA are awake." Apparently, they weren't, and the reason that the Mark IV Vildroids were the last ones to see living Creators is obvious.

It never even entered my mind to check out the log after inserting the black chip. I did insert the other two chips that I picked up and received some flavour text from each of them. I should take a screenshot of both of them as one contains information on who assassinated "KJF".

I did get an inkling about what happened to the creators when Bettaker viewed the humans as different cuts of meat and with knowing that he was one of the last droids to see them alive.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is the final flashback involving the bar patrons. I decided to record this with the current save in order to determine what time it would be at the end of it and also to include the bug that appears at the end of the flashback. I've also replayed this flashback with an older save and included the footage at the end to show you how things should have gone. I will be replaying the game on the older save file at this point onwards and just for posterity I will include a link to this screenshot at the end of the last save to mark the current time (21:51): https://i.imgur.com/eGpNaO8.png. I will record the extra content other the next few days, I wanted to get this update done first as it has been a while since the last one.

I took screenshots of all of the information provided within the computer. It is important to read through them all while playing through this flashback so that you can work out what you are doing and how to proceed through it. For the purposes of the LP, I've explained the important parts in order to reduce the reading time on screen. If you do want to read through everything before and\or during then feel free to do so, the links are here:

Buyer Bids and Biographies: https://imgur.com/a/Ij1p0s2
Seller Biographies: https://imgur.com/a/chzlXRk
Biographies of Other Parties: https://imgur.com/a/2YoLklc
Staff Biographies: https://imgur.com/a/nlqQxCj
Emails: https://imgur.com/a/2uHmGfl
Menu: https://imgur.com/a/bbQ4gId

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I seem to have inadvertently solved the bug while recording additional content. The issue is that you have to select "Ask about wagering" and Deven-7 strikes a deal with Alias there and then about guessing his secret code. The only issue is if the conversation moves on there is no way of going back to it unless you exit the conversation afterwards, something that there is no reason to do unless you know this beforehand. I thought that I'd replay the flashback in quick time after hearing the line again and "chatting" to him afterwards worked straight away. This saves having to replay a big portion of the game again and it keeps up the continuity.

I now have a save file post-flashback at the 21:51 mark ready for the next update which most likely will be the finale. Right now I'm going to go back in and record the rest of Devin-7's additional footage. I may start recording some conversations with other characters soon as I've had to bypass many of them.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus Videos

This video contains some of the missing pre-Flashback dialogue, footage of various failures during the flashback and what happens if you answer the code name incorrectly afterwards.

Additional Dialogue - Devin-7

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus Videos

There are four minor characters in the bar area who I didn't have time to speak to during the main playthrough. There are still some more characters to speak to and I will attempt to speak to a few of them during the next update. I'm most likely going to give Winky Howdy's its own video as there's a lot to see and someone to speak to. I do need to do something with the vending machine, if I can't think of anything then I may include it with the planned video of missed content from the main playthrough.

Missed Dialogue - Chiphandler, Dwelf-18, The Napthaleens & Slurb and Delb

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Sep 27, 2022

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is the final update of The Space Bar. There is still some groundwork to cover as we need to gather more evidence and also to actually catch the criminal! I had some time to spare so I decided to take a closer look at the vending machine and visit Winky Howdy's before finishing the game. Even though the video is fifty minutes long, the credits take up twelve of those minutes.

Bonus Videos

Additional Dialogue - Main Playthrough

This video covers some things that I missed during the main playthrough. This includes more dialogue with Fleebix, Arksh, Paksha, the mixer in Click Snap Snap Rattle's flashback, the Mytosi and Gorb. I've also included a couple of cutscene of Arksh leaving the entrance port and the Sraffans arriving through the entrance port. I've also included the game over screen when you have failed to complete the game in the allocated time.

I still have one more gallery to upload which I will attempt to do tomorrow night. I was hoping to have everything done with this update but I had to head out sooner than I thought and won't be home again until tomorrow. I'm using my phone to write out and to post this update.

----------------------------------

Thank you, everyone, for joining me in this Let's Play of The Space Bar! This has been an interesting experience and one that I've enjoyed immensely. It's been a long road from reading about the game in magazines twenty-five years ago to finally completing it for the first time now. This has been a game that I've been meaning to play/LP but I didn't really think that I could do it but I've proved myself wrong. I'm glad that I finally did this as it's a personal achievement for me and I'm glad that I could share it.

I'd like to give a special thank you to Nidoking for the helpful advice and support, I appreciate all the time that you've devoted to this project. Thank you, everyone, for being a part of this in any capacity. I appreciate all the support!

I would say that this LP is over but as I mentioned above, there is still one more gallery to upload which will be a bunch of movies reviews. I was going to do Return To Monkey Island after this but that's already underway so I'll be returning to the Broken Sword series shortly.

Cheers!

RBD

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Were the credits supposed to be silent, or was that a glitch?

Overall I enjoyed this, but I think it’s more a game I’d enjoy watching a play through more than I would actually playing it - having an arbitrary deadline and having to redo memories every time you make a mistake would be quite annoying!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Zaroff posted:

Were the credits supposed to be silent, or was that a glitch?

Overall I enjoyed this, but I think it’s more a game I’d enjoy watching a play through more than I would actually playing it - having an arbitrary deadline and having to redo memories every time you make a mistake would be quite annoying!

I have no idea, it really wouldn't surprise me if it was a glitch. Half the time that I loaded a save file the game would blare out one of two pieces of music that would permanently be in the background. Normally I don't mind the credits but I had to sit there in absolute silence for twelve minutes and I couldn't even tab out to press the mute button as there isn't an obvious way of doing it with PCem.

This was fun to play and I was winging it for the most part. I did utilise UHS for the more difficult parts of the game which made things a lot more tolerable. I'm not sure how I would have fared going into this completely blind.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

It's been a long time since I beat this game, but silent credits doesn't seem like too much of a stretch. I don't think they expected anyone to watch them.

The thing that strikes me about the whole experience, in retrospect, is how little of what you do actually pertains to solving the case. A single flashback yields all the evidence that there is to find (although, I believe that there IS a slightly different reaction if you attempt to arrest the Naphthaleens after watching the recording, as Alias knows that the culprit is one of them but can't identify which one), and one other flashback gives you everything you need to view that evidence. Other than that, you've got two flashbacks that give you the method and materials to prevent being poisoned, two and a bit that let you block the neural scan, and one that leads to a series of events that ultimately let you disable a jammer so you can use the voice printer, which I don't think actually ever does anything meaningful. Your residue printer is both useless and impractical, and there's a whole feature in your log for checking off names of suspects to no end. It's probably the exact opposite of Return of the Obra Dinn. Still enjoyable, but you need to go in understanding that 80% of the game is fluff, and 90% of the substance is also fluff.

If you check out Winky Howdy's at various points in the game, the Wispowurwee will move from one object to another. I know it goes into the pot belly stove at some point. The terminal entry always made me think that if I was in the saloon at the wrong time, it would kill me, but I never made that happen. I also always felt like hiding behind the cardboard cutout at the right time would reveal something, but I can't imagine when that might be.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus Videos

One final bonus video. I had a question on Youtube asking whether we could give the drink to the Nathleens as soon as we entered the bar. We can give them the drink as soon as the game starts, in fact, we can give them any drink. But no matter what drink we give them it just gets pushed off of the table pretty much straight away. Nidoking has mentioned that there is a different reaction when you try to arrest the Nathleens.

Even though the same thing happens I've shown what happens when you give them the right drink at the wrong time and also what happens if you give them the wrong drink at any time. The last few moments of this video shows the alternate message that we get when trying to arrest the Nathleens before we've identified which of them is the culprit.

The Napthaleens & The Datacart

Galleries

The last of the galleries is a bunch of movie reviews and the "About" section from the terminal.

Movie Reviews

Nidoking posted:

It's been a long time since I beat this game, but silent credits doesn't seem like too much of a stretch. I don't think they expected anyone to watch them.

The thing that strikes me about the whole experience, in retrospect, is how little of what you do actually pertains to solving the case. A single flashback yields all the evidence that there is to find (although, I believe that there IS a slightly different reaction if you attempt to arrest the Naphthaleens after watching the recording, as Alias knows that the culprit is one of them but can't identify which one), and one other flashback gives you everything you need to view that evidence. Other than that, you've got two flashbacks that give you the method and materials to prevent being poisoned, two and a bit that let you block the neural scan, and one that leads to a series of events that ultimately let you disable a jammer so you can use the voice printer, which I don't think actually ever does anything meaningful. Your residue printer is both useless and impractical, and there's a whole feature in your log for checking off names of suspects to no end. It's probably the exact opposite of Return of the Obra Dinn. Still enjoyable, but you need to go in understanding that 80% of the game is fluff, and 90% of the substance is also fluff.

If you check out Winky Howdy's at various points in the game, the Wispowurwee will move from one object to another. I know it goes into the pot belly stove at some point. The terminal entry always made me think that if I was in the saloon at the wrong time, it would kill me, but I never made that happen. I also always felt like hiding behind the cardboard cutout at the right time would reveal something, but I can't imagine when that might be.

I didn't realise that Gud moved about. I've entered Winky Howdy's a few times and they've been at different points in the game and Gus has been the plant every time that I've entered.

There's an interview with Steve Meretzky here where he talks about various things including The Space Bar: http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/interactive-fiction/magazines/XYZZYnews/XYZZY11.PDF. From what I've read of it, his intention with The Space Bar was to create a collection of interactive short stories and tie them all together within the main plot, something that I think they've done so rather well. The game does contain a lot of fluff and was designed to be hard but I appreciate how much effort that they put into telling all of the various character's stories of why they are in this place at this time. I really had no idea what to use the residue printer on apart from the cerebomb and the voice printer occasionally picked something up but never give any information about what they have actually picked up. Even though I felt like they could have been utilised more, the time that we're actually given is far too short for the environment that we are thrown into.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Sep 27, 2022

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Giving the drink to the Napthaleens early doesn't make much sense, because Ni'Dopal hasn't turned into one of them yet. I think the timeline is that he's the band leader when you first arrive, then he turns into Arksh the repairman, and finally, into one of the Napthaleens. I don't believe there's a way to encounter him properly in any form but the last, so you don't get to, say, show him the datacart and see how he reacts. You could leave it on the table for him, but he'll kill you the moment you do. No watching to see who picks it up.

You can use the residue printer on anything you can carry to a place where nobody will see you use the wand, but I think by the time you get to anything Ni'Dopal has touched, the DNA will be too old. You can get Seedrot's DNA from her fruit, for example, and I think there may be some DNA on the darts, but again, if it does give any useful results, they won't help you get through the game. Basically "Ni'Dopal touched this dart recently", but since the point of residue printing is that his DNA doesn't change to match his form, it doesn't tell you anything about the body that shot you. And Seedrot's DNA isn't useful either, since as the terminal says, Vedj are one of the few species that could be identified by voice print if Ni'Dopal were posing as her. I think you can rule out Borksh, the cook, and that's about all the usefulness you get from it.

Gus probably doesn't start moving around until you meet him. If you pop in early to say hello, then leave and come back later, he'll probably have moved. Not that it has any bearing on anything - it's just another bit of flavor.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Nidoking posted:

Giving the drink to the Napthaleens early doesn't make much sense, because Ni'Dopal hasn't turned into one of them yet. I think the timeline is that he's the band leader when you first arrive, then he turns into Arksh the repairman, and finally, into one of the Napthaleens. I don't believe there's a way to encounter him properly in any form but the last, so you don't get to, say, show him the datacart and see how he reacts. You could leave it on the table for him, but he'll kill you the moment you do. No watching to see who picks it up.

You can use the residue printer on anything you can carry to a place where nobody will see you use the wand, but I think by the time you get to anything Ni'Dopal has touched, the DNA will be too old. You can get Seedrot's DNA from her fruit, for example, and I think there may be some DNA on the darts, but again, if it does give any useful results, they won't help you get through the game. Basically "Ni'Dopal touched this dart recently", but since the point of residue printing is that his DNA doesn't change to match his form, it doesn't tell you anything about the body that shot you. And Seedrot's DNA isn't useful either, since as the terminal says, Vedj are one of the few species that could be identified by voice print if Ni'Dopal were posing as her. I think you can rule out Borksh, the cook, and that's about all the usefulness you get from it.

Gus probably doesn't start moving around until you meet him. If you pop in early to say hello, then leave and come back later, he'll probably have moved. Not that it has any bearing on anything - it's just another bit of flavor.

You get the same reaction whether Ni'Dopal is there or not. I didn't even think to try giving away the datacart. I may take a look later and redo the Napthaleen video.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Sep 27, 2022

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
Incidentally, I thought I'd try and take a look at the game's inner workings now that doing so won't spoil the LP for me, and it turns out they're actually pretty easy to datamine! Once you've got everything installed and extracted, it's all in familiar file formats except for the videos (stored in .smk files, which you can decode with RAD Video Tools) and the game logic (in .wld files, which is actually just plaintext with a fancy name).

A few interesting things of note, from a cursory poking around:

- In addition to the more obvious randomly-generated codes, there's also some per-game RNG in the Cerebomb recipe (either the whole-bug requirement or the 5-bug-legs requirement can be Twitter Peep's instead, though because each bug's identity and their wing/leg amounts stay constant it shouldn't actually prevent the solution I posted before from working regardless) and in the final puzzle (Ni'Dopal's flower allergy can be to moonflower or teleweed rather than blinkbloom).

Nidoking posted:

- Yep, Gus is set to switch hosts 75 turns after you first encountered him in his current form (unless you're currently talking to him when the switch would happen, in which case it waits 5 turns and then tries again). He starts out in the plant and then moves to the stove, the cow model, and Arksh's corpse, in that order, with a unique intro line for each of them.

Nidoking posted:

- I haven't checked if it can be triggered in-game, but there is assets and logic for a dialogue tree with the band leader in the files (at /BAR/CHAR/BALOOKSH/ and as part of /SPACEBAR/WLD/BAR.WLD, respectively, if you're wondering). He's presumably already Ni'Dopal at that point, seeing as how if you ask him about the residue printer, voice printer, or datacart he says he doesn't know anything about it but then darts you 5 turns later :v:
There's nothing there for setting off his allergy early, though, which wouldn't be possible anyway since which flower it is isn't set until you see it in his flashback...

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus Video

I had a bit of time this morning to go back into the game to see what happens when you leave the datacart on the coffee table for Ni'Dopal. I decided to add it to the Napthaleen video as it's only a minute long segment. I've updated all of the relevant links in the thread. I've also corrected my spelling aside only realised I had been spelling Napthaleen wrong when I was reading Nidoking's posts.

The Napthaleens & The Datacart

Zyxyz posted:

Incidentally, I thought I'd try and take a look at the game's inner workings now that doing so won't spoil the LP for me, and it turns out they're actually pretty easy to datamine! Once you've got everything installed and extracted, it's all in familiar file formats except for the videos (stored in .smk files, which you can decode with RAD Video Tools) and the game logic (in .wld files, which is actually just plaintext with a fancy name).

A few interesting things of note, from a cursory poking around:

- In addition to the more obvious randomly-generated codes, there's also some per-game RNG in the Cerebomb recipe (either the whole-bug requirement or the 5-bug-legs requirement can be Twitter Peep's instead, though because each bug's identity and their wing/leg amounts stay constant it shouldn't actually prevent the solution I posted before from working regardless) and in the final puzzle (Ni'Dopal's flower allergy can be to moonflower or teleweed rather than blinkbloom).

- Yep, Gus is set to switch hosts 75 turns after you first encountered him in his current form (unless you're currently talking to him when the switch would happen, in which case it waits 5 turns and then tries again). He starts out in the plant and then moves to the stove, the cow model, and Arksh's corpse, in that order, with a unique intro line for each of them.

- I haven't checked if it can be triggered in-game, but there is assets and logic for a dialogue tree with the band leader in the files (at /BAR/CHAR/BALOOKSH/ and as part of /SPACEBAR/WLD/BAR.WLD, respectively, if you're wondering). He's presumably already Ni'Dopal at that point, seeing as how if you ask him about the residue printer, voice printer, or datacart he says he doesn't know anything about it but then darts you 5 turns later :v:
There's nothing there for setting off his allergy early, though, which wouldn't be possible anyway since which flower it is isn't set until you see it in his flashback...

This is interesting, thank you for taking your time out to poke around the data files. I will go back in and poke around some more soon. I didn't even stop to consider that Ni'Dopal's allergy would be randomised even though it makes absolute sense that it is so.

I wonder if the band leader conversation is triggered somewhere along the 20:03 mark around the area where he is killed. I'll try to find Gus in his varying forms as well at some point as well.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus Videos

I wandered around the areas outside of The Moist Grotto but nothing was triggering apart from a dead body would suddenly appear in the room at its allotted time. I then remembered that Cilia would occasionally take a break which means that her band would too. This is the conversation that we can have with the band leader, minus any repeats, with a short time afterwards to show that Zyxyz was correct with Alias being hit with the dart shortly afterwards. I'm not sure if I actually uploaded footage of Alias dying from a poison dart before now so this is a double bonus.

Missed Dialogue - Balooksh & The Band

It's getting late so I'll annoy Gus another time.

Edit: Grammar, it's late and my brain no work well.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 27, 2022

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've managed to record three of Gus' transformations but I'm unable to get the fourth as Alias gets hit by the dart just before I can trigger it. The only way that I can do so is by replaying the whole game from the start again. This means triggering Gus early and then working on the antidote to see it through. I'll start a replay at some point soon but right now I'm putting things on hold, I need to put all my notes together and work on a walkthrough but that's not something that will happen overnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

A couple of updates. I've started a replay and a walkthrough of the game, it's still in the early stages but I'm hoping to have a complete draft within the next couple of weeks. I've also updated the cast list on imdb to give people credit and will try to add more information in the future. They haven't made the amendments to Joe DiMaggio and Alan Rickman that I submitted at the same time, for some reason: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6377616/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm I will retry again another time.