Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

BB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

AC

Pella

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
BB

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
CB and Pella

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
AB

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
BC

Eleven Eleven
Nov 12, 2016

BC

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
CA

The Light must remain untainted

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Interim tally:

A 6
B 9
C 5

A 1
B 11
C 7
D 1

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

BC.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

B B

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
CB

Arioch
Oct 6, 2018
AB

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

Xelkelvos posted:

Interim tally:

A 6
B 9
C 5

A 1
B 11
C 7
D 1

Thanks for this.

Manichean will be an autocephalous religion that seeks to supplant other Abrahamic faiths. The Punic and Scythian Elect will recognize each other at game start

Final question: Sons of Thunder

North of Scythia lies dense marshes and forests, cold and damp. The people dwelling there worship the maker of lightning and move from settlement to settlement, hunting and fishing. They have little wealth - our Wusun client state has secured the trade routes to the valuable Baltic coast and it's lucrative amber trade, so traders exchanging furs for our merchant's gold and jewels marks the only substantial interaction they have with the outside world. As the climate cools, more and more were driven south to escape drought - what form did that take?

A: Frontier, Conquest

As the Slavs were driven south by famine, their raiding of farms and fields turned the Scythian Empire and other agriculturalists against them. Their adept forestry kept them safe against the Scythian cavalry on their migration, and the crushing defeat of the Wusun king and his Scythian allies in ambush at the battle for Tanais is generally agreed to mark the start of the early Migration period

The Slavic faith will get the Prepared Invasion feature, and a strong Slavic kingdom will be invading the Crimean peninsula at game start

B: Swords, not slaves

The conquest of the eastern Vandalic kingdoms at Scythia's behest had left Wusun dangerously overstretched and short of manpower, especially with Scythia embroiled in wars to it's south and west. At the king's behest, entire tribes of Slavs were encouraged to resettle west in exchange for military service, securing the amber and grain trade which sustained the kingdom.

Several powerful Slavic chiefs will serve under Wusun in the north. Further event-driven migration will occur.

C: The Sea Peoples

Travelling through Northern Scythia in such numbers that chronicles record that the grass would not grow on the riverbanks they passed over for some years, the Slavs poured down the coastlines of the Black Sea, flooding into the lands left depopulated in the wake of the Galatian-Parthian war and carving out their own chiefdoms in the Middle East or swearing fealty to larger kingdoms

Slavic rulers and culture will be scattered from the eastern coast of the Black Sea down through the Middle East, both Galatia and Parthia will be considerably weakened.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
B

Angstrom Gothington
Feb 19, 2007

Raise your arms in the big black sky, raise your arms the highest you can, so the whole universe will glow.
Love me some C peoples.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

B.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
C

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

C

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
A

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Angstrom Gothington posted:

Love me some C peoples.

:yeah:

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Love me some C peoples.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Today's post is brought to you by the letter C

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
A

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Love me some C peoples.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

B

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

SlaviC migrations

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

C

Eleven Eleven
Nov 12, 2016

B

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
B

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Love me some C peoples.

This.

Vinny Possum
Sep 21, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER
C all the way

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
C

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

B

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

Conversion nearly done - just need to tidy up India/Tibet and stop the rise of Islam from causing CTDs from my over-ambitious modding. Here's the Mediterranean, in the meantime - the East is in chaos from Slavic migrations, and in Carthage and Caul in the West the old order fights a rearguard action against the rising monotheistic tide.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Hype! Need any help with the modding? I'm not great at modding, but I do know a thing or two about megacampaigns.

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

15: A Republic, if you can keep it

Scythia, under the rulership of the newly styled ‘Consul’ Nandake, who had appropriated the language of his Roman clients to give gravitas to his new status, looked set to enter a new golden age as it recovered from the ruinous civil war. Yes, many good soldiers had died fighting each other to lay the Republic’s foundations, but for the great families - the Ytarim, the Lyam, the Agaridii, the Kausika and the Nandake’s own family the Yarkarm, such sacrifices promised to be the foundation of their future greatness.

Yes, the capital swirled with intrigue and plots, and not all scores were fully settled - the weakness of the border garrisons in recent years had allowed scores of slavs to pillage and raid the north-east of Scythia, and countless more has flooded across the Black sea, plunging Scythia’s old ally in Galatia into chaos and anarchy. Such wounds ran too deep for some - Nandake’s own wife had been married in a last-ditch effort to stop the family from turning on each other, and with the war concluded he set her aside without second thought, aided by her continued devotion to heathenry.

Nandake’s family wasn’t the only part of Scythia riven with sectarian strife - the realm, and the council, was divided between ‘Manicheans’, followers of the Roman rite, and devotees of the old ways. Getting any proposal past the council was fraught at the best of times, yet Nandake devolved more and more power to it - sometimes of his own accord, and sometimes because his councillors demanded it.

While such gridlock paralyzed Pella at times, it was minor compared to the full-blown crisis confronting Carthage. The silver mines in Iberia, the jewel in the Punic crown and the source of bullion for her mints were offering less and less each year. The Empire which spanned the Mediterranean as an eagle was seeing her troops desert her legions, her captains turn to piracy, and her governors in the provinces ignoring her edicts and ruling as a law unto themselves day by day.

Scythia, at least, was able to finance infrastructure in her own lands - new roads to fields that had laid fallow since the war, or even since the plagues, could be laid down. New soldiers could be conscripted (although they tended to lack horses). A grand fort was drawn up under Nandake’s careful eye, conveniently placed to protect the Yarkarm family’s traditional estates in Tauricia.

While the times were seemingly good for Scythia, not all seemed satisfied with it - not least Mauros, king of the Goths of the Istros. While he was graced with the position of ambassador on the council - given the honour of speaking for the Republic both within and without its borders - he did not return honour to Nandake, who could do no right in his eye. The new fortress? A disgraceful squandering of taxes to protect Nandake’s private wealth. The intermittent wars fought by the client-kingdom of Wusun against the northern Goths? An insult to his people. While most of the criticism seemed as if it was being ignored, more points landed than Nandake cared to admit, and he fretted that his popularity was ebbing away.

It was almost a relief, therefore, to have a minor uprising on one of the innumerable islands scattered around the Aegean sea escalate to the Republic’s attention. What began as a minor peasant revolt against their taxes, which had remained steady despite a disastrous harvest, changed dimensions when the local magistrate failed completely to disperse the peasants. After burning his estate to the ground, the peasants torched two of the Republic’s galleys moored in port, with a third escaping with only half its crew on board.

Pella thronged with outrage, and Nandake called for a sacrifice to make the Heaven’s will known - albeit at no huge expense. While doctrinally questionable for a Manichean to undertake, it proved hugely popular amongst the council, especially when the signs pointed to a great victory for Nandake in the year to come. The army was marshalled, and preparations were made to embark as to crush the upstart peasants.

The Scythian army would never leave Hellas.

The declaration of war by Candre - aided, unsurprisingly, by Mauros and a smattering of Thrakian lords - was a lightning bolt out of a clear blue sky for Nandake. He had gathered together a force to smash aside a mob of lightly armoured peasants, loot and burn the countryside, and make his way back to Pella, a conquering hero. Candre now had his own army, but also thousands more Gepid warriors marching for their king, alongside whatever forces the Thrakian lords could scrape together. He was hopelessly outmatched, and while it was good news of a sort, the discovery that his prophesied ‘great victory’ referred to his wife falling pregnant had him bar himself in his tent with his council for a day.

Unable to match the numbers of the rebellion himself, Nandake turned to Roman mercenaries - the infamous ‘Scholae Palatine’, named for the central hill in lost Rome, were all clad in the finest armour which could be found in the mediterranean. While expensive, their devastating charge was nearly unstoppable, and would run roughshod over Mauros’ lightly-armoured followers, some of whom came to battlefields wielding pickaxes. The strain on the treasury of retaining their services was considerable, but costs were cut everywhere.

It took time for a trusted messenger, set on a swift ship loaded with most of the treasury, to reach Nova Roma, for the Romans to equip themselves, and for them to arrive - time Nandake could ill-afford as the enemy grew closer to Pella. Areange, his wife, was hanging under a cloud of suspicion in the capital due to her Gothic roots. For safety from both the approaching army and the public, she was dispatched to the Yarkarm estates in Taurika shortly after giving birth, even though the arrival of a young, healthy son did much to prove divine favour remaining with Nandake.

Finally, the Romans arrived, and in a climactic clash south of the Istros the rebels sought to press an engagement. While the initial skirmish went poorly, the impact of the Roman horses against the lightly armoured Goths and Scythian peasants conscripted into the rebellion saw their lines buckle, waver - and reform, as the Romans were dragged from their horses and hacked apart.

Even Nandake himself took a spear to the lung, only barely managing to escape before collapsing. He would struggle to maintain consciousness for much of the next two months as the tattered remnants of his army fled back to Pella, lapsing in and out of lucidity and burning up in fevers.

While many would-be sorcerers and medics offered their services, the council refused all, fearing any one could be an assassin sent by the rebels, who were pillaging the lands of the Thracians who had remained loyal to Nandake.

The rebels barely needed to approach Pella regardless - the entire city was at fever pitch. Rumours of Nandake’s death, recovery, abdication, or some combination of all three spread round the city like wildfire, and the local Christian preachers wandered the streets proclaiming that the end of times was at hand. In distant lands, the earth itself shook, knocking over more of the remains of the grand Colossus at Rhodes. As Nandake recovered, he proclaimed the earthquake a gift from the heavens, and ordered the brass pieces to be melted down and sold, and the proceeds to be used to hire more mercenaries.

The latest to answer the call came from the fringes of Wusun - a wild gathering of amber-sellers, they lacked the gleaming equipment and fine horses of the Romans. That was irrelevant, however - they were warriors, and together with the remnants of the Romans and a fresh mustering of the Scythians, they might just be enough to turn the tide.

It is possible that, all together, Nandake’s forces could have achieved victory. That was not to be, however. As the newest mercenaries marched out to join up with the Republican army, they were set upon by furious Christian peasants, who saw Nandake’s embrace of the earthquake as a sign of favour as proof he was the antichrist. Taken by surprise and divided, the Scythian army was routed as the rebels took advantage of the confusion to storm their camp, burning their tents and capturing the baggage train.

With the route of the republican army, the path to the capital lay open. Wasting no time, Mauros marched down it at the head of his army, trailed by Candre with his smaller forces. At the gates , Mauros promised to spare the city if it would let him enter, threatening to take it by fire and sword otherwise. Cowed, tired of war, and utterly spent, the skeleton garrison gladly opened the gates to Mauros and the gepid horde, which poured into the city in the thousands. With the city held by the throat, Mauros marched into the abandoned council chambers, proclaiming himself the new ‘High King’.

Nandake, of course, was nowhere to be found. While his mercenaries and his men had failed him, his lands in Taurike were still his own, and disguising his way to the coast and stealing a fishing vessel proved simple enough. No, the Taurikan peninsular would prove too difficult for Mauros to seize from him, especially with the fort at its only entrance. And it was self-sufficient, too - there was food in the fields, unravaged by war, supplies in the larders, gold and wealth in the ports to fund the war, entertainment and distraction to keep him and his family safe and sane, food and drink-

Over his lifetime Nandake ‘the Wicked’ presided over the destruction of the Republic, the loss of the rule over Scythia to a non-Scythian barbarian, and the near extinction of his own family.
His subjects pray his son takes after his mother.

The three year old lord of Taurike, along with the queen regent and his siblings

King Mauros I

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Good to see this is back, RIP the Republic

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

easy come eassy go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceblocks
Jan 5, 2013
Taco Defender
Good to see you back.

I recognize Twilight of Empires, are you using any other mods?