Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Finished it, liked it, but has that DARK "problem" where they're clearly expecting a second season to continue the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

From what I understand the story is planned for three seasons.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I feel like basically this show just isn’t inherently as interesting as Dark was. Like it’s all well-written and well-made and well-performed and well-paced and everything especially in this second half but I just don’t really care as much about the answers to the mysteries as much I guess. I’ll definitely finish the season though.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The big thing that Dark had that this is missing is Winden, this lovely town full of history and secrets and grudges.

I'm still loving it though.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

finished 2nd episode, things move better than in the first one but the big reveal at the end worries me that the showrunners may have bitten more than they can chew.

I'll probably marathon the rest tomorrow.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh man, the use of Volume in this is the best I've seen since The Batman. They did a really good job of it IMO.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finished. I gotta say, I liked it overall, and I dug the twists, but almost every single music cue was absolute dogshit.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

3 eps in and it feels like a nolan film. All cerebral and puzzlebox, not much else. Which is fine, it makes for ok tv, but Dark at least had some emotional hooks as opposed to just dropping you in the deep end.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
4 episodes in and it feels like a total slog. I'm sticking it out because it looks good and the actors are decent. Just could use the show to put Cerberus to sleep

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

watched the whole season in two sittings and overall i liked it. they can definately craft a compelling mystery box with a delightfully creepy atmosphere and interesting characters.

however i loving hated the simulation twist after spending the entire show hoping that they wouldnt go there. it basically reduced a ton of the mysteries into red herrings intented to just fool the viewer. all the steampunky difference engine thingies ended up completely pointless, especially after they just pulled out a loving touchscreen tablet to fiddle with after spending most of the season using those uix nightmare sliding puzzle remotes.

if they can get netflix not to cancel them partway (and i think thats a big if) i believe they have potential for something really interesting since the simulation is obvously heavily linked with the ”real world” parts and not just some in flight entertainment thing, but overall im much less impressed than i was at the end of dark season one.

also the music choices are just completely baffling, its like they forgot they were supposed to have special songs at the end of each episode and just threw a greatest of dad rock collection there the night before launch. loving white rabbit as the opening song after the greatness of the dark opening is just ugh.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Was thinking about this show again; I really like it, but I am frustrated with how much more I wanted from everything. I loved the characters, the performances, th visuals, everything, but it's so blatantly only part of a show and it frustrated me greatly.

I reckon the second season will inevitably see the cast wandering around inside each other's memories and doing weird hosed up things in there, and I'm super down for that.

Holy poo poo the original score was good in this though. I love, love, love Ben Frost (DARK, Fortitude, the first season of Raised By Wolves) but this was a whole new level.

Risutora posted:

also the music choices are just completely baffling, its like they forgot they were supposed to have special songs at the end of each episode and just threw a greatest of dad rock collection there the night before launch. loving white rabbit as the opening song after the greatness of the dark opening is just ugh.

yeah it's frustrating because the opening is otherwise really strong. The lobotomy image is great.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

This show has what is probably the worst opening of any modern show I’ve seen. White Rabbits sucks poo poo already and the cover is somehow worse and the cgi credits that shows you basically everything that happens. It’s like it’s mandated by Netflix to have some crazy flashy opening.

I’m only up to ep 6 but in like the first ten minutes of the first episode the newspaper clipping has a headline that says ’Are you being hypnotised?’ So I kinda assumed that none of the boat stuff is really happening and that this would be revealed in like two episodes, but the boat stuff kept going. so it made it hard to care about anyone or what’s happening since I was sure that the boat stuff is not actually real lol

I like the broody captain, the French soldier and the elfy British lady but if i didn’t know it was the Dark people I probably wouldnt have kept going after the second episode.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Pet peeve but as a Danish person it really bugs me that all the danes just speak modern Copenhagen Danish. I assume the same goes for all the other languages, but it specifically stood out to me when the pregnant lady said "loving" even though it's supposed to be 1899 and she doesn't speak English. At least the names are era-appropriate.

Good show, though. A bit slow going, but great vibes. The music cues are a bizarre stylistic choice, but they're such a small part of every episode, that I don't think it really matters that much.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
The music is really jarring, I'm half expecting the season to end on Don't Stop Believing

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

actually now that i think about the season end song more i want to punch my head through a drywall lol

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Just finished ep5 and I actually like how they ramp up the pace and also how the characters don't act like the people in Dark, I had previously feared the showrunners might have a thing for the 'blindly rushes into any confusing situation' character archetype.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Finished the season.

I was initially disappointed with the fact that they were going with a simulation, but with that ending I am now fully on board. :stare:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

MechaSeinfeld posted:

This show has what is probably the worst opening of any modern show I’ve seen. White Rabbits sucks poo poo already and the cover is somehow worse and the cgi credits that shows you basically everything that happens. It’s like it’s mandated by Netflix to have some crazy flashy opening.

Yeah it's awful I just skip it every time. It's also a minute+ long which is pretty hosed up

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

SirSamVimes posted:

Finished the season.

I was initially disappointed with the fact that they were going with a simulation, but with that ending I am now fully on board. :stare:

Watched all of it in a few sittings. Not as good as Dark, but whatever.

Having every single person speak a different language is a neat solution to the "if these people would only talk to each other everything would be solved in about 5 minutes" problem. On the other hand, nobody speaking the same language did make me wonder how anybody ever communicated anything to anyone - except for the occasional bilingual person. Well, until almost everyone turned out to speak at least a couple words of English in the end.

Really curious about the next season. You do have to wonder if this 'reality' is actually real though... It's another ship called 'Prometheus' after all.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Risutora posted:

actually now that i think about the season end song more i want to punch my head through a drywall lol

hated hated hated this. worst possible accompaniment

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

uXs posted:

Having every single person speak a different language is a neat solution to the "if these people would only talk to each other everything would be solved in about 5 minutes" problem. On the other hand, nobody speaking the same language did make me wonder how anybody ever communicated anything to anyone - except for the occasional bilingual person. Well, until almost everyone turned out to speak at least a couple words of English in the end.

Really curious about the next season. You do have to wonder if this 'reality' is actually real though... It's another ship called 'Prometheus' after all.

According to my European girlfriend, if you know one romance language and one germanic language, you can generally get a vague gist of what people are saying in other European languages even if you don't know them. Which is one of the reasons why Ling Yi was particularly isolated lingually, the only languages she spoke had completely different roots so she had to rely far more on interpretation.

edit: I will agree the show is not as good as Dark, but I still really liked it. I loved how it uses language and it's a solid lmao that the default language setting dubs all the foreign language stuff into English.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

uXs posted:

All my spoilers are end of season.

This is a reach, but the language barrier felt like a commentary on echo chambers. The characters talk at each other, but it isn't before they've gone through growth that they understand what's said in a language they don't speak. At least that analogy justifies the lack of gesticulation when communicating with language barriers.

I think if season 2 follows the Dark format, then 2099 will be another sim. Maura will find her brother and it turns out he isn't the antagonist. I wonder if there's a pattern to all the room numbers and dates that'd let us predict the true year.

SirSamVimes posted:

According to my European girlfriend, if you know one romance language and one germanic language, you can generally get a vague gist of what people are saying in other European languages even if you don't know them. Which is one of the reasons why Ling Yi was particularly isolated lingually, the only languages she spoke had completely different roots so she had to rely far more on interpretation.

edit: I will agree the show is not as good as Dark, but I still really liked it. I loved how it uses language and it's a solid lmao that the default language setting dubs all the foreign language stuff into English.

I'm not a history buff, but I think German culture and language was to Europe, or to Northern Europe, what English is to the West today. Our coastal towns in Norway are heavily influenced architecturally and linguistically from years of trade with them, particularly in that time period. I suppose what I'm getting at is there would be more bilinguals. We see some of that with the Danes below deck. The nature of the show makes it anachronistic though. Like someone mentioned earlier, the Danes were speaking modern Danish.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Nov 21, 2022

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Apparently a Brazillian comic artist is claiming that 1899 plagiariased her graphic novel.

https://twitter.com/marycagnin/status/1594190866041610240

For some reason Twitter will only let me translate the first tweet, but from what I've heard from people who can read it, it seems kind of flimsy.

(thread contains hefty 1899 spoilers)

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 21, 2022

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Is it just the black pyramid, because that idea is hardly unique.

Anyway I finished the season and despite myself I enjoyed it for it's relative simplicity and cohesion of the narrative.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Found a translation of the tweet.

"It's all there: The Black Pyramid. The deaths inside the ship/ship. The multinational crew. The apparently strange and unexplained things. The symbols in the eyes and when they appear. Codes written. The voices calling to them. Subtle plot details, such as the characters' personal dramas, including their mysterious deaths."

https://www.popbuzz.com/tv-film/news/1899-black-silence-comic-plagiarism-copy-netflix/

It seems tenuous at best to me.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
There are a few Reddit threads that firmly show they share little beyond pyramids and sci-fi tropes.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

cant imagine why a show about a cuh-razy boat needs to have a subplot that involves the rape of a girl in front of her family and features a pov shot from the perspective of the victim. the whole time I was thinking ‘they wouldn’t do that that’s so lazy and pointless’

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I watched the first episode out of curiosity, and I'm intrigued. All standard story beats for a supernatural/sci-fi mystery/horror show so far, but executed well.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
I kinda guessed the ending, but, hasn't this been done before?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

Pet peeve but as a Danish person it really bugs me that all the danes just speak modern Copenhagen Danish. I assume the same goes for all the other languages, but it specifically stood out to me when the pregnant lady said "loving" even though it's supposed to be 1899 and she doesn't speak English. At least the names are era-appropriate.
What if it's actually set in the present? It's pretty clear that all the characters can also understand each other all the time regardless of what language is being spoken even though that obviously makes no sense in the supposed setting, so this seems very intentional.

My totally wild guess about what's happening:

Maura is a neuroscientist who created some sort of neuralink-type device that is either intended to keep people's in comas in some sort of simulation, a process for treating traumas, or as some process for editing memories.

Possibly multiple real people are connected together, but the minor characters are not real.

It's a "simulation" but not like a 3d programmed environment, it's more like the collective unconscious of the people in the simulation and can be affected by their memories, etc.

The puzzle devices and quantum computer aren't representations of actual "code" in the simulation that can be modified but are just a sort of metaphor because Maura knows she's in a simulation.

The show keeps talking about things like plato's cave and the beetle is apparently a thing from Jung, so I think the show is really more about psychology and the seemingly technological parts are trying to be intentionally misleading (to mislead the viewer into thinking it's a matrix-like simulation).

The different places through the passageways may be traumas that the different real people in the simulation experienced.

I think her "father" isn't real but just Maura herself (I can't remember the exact line but there's something about why her brother calls her "Henry" and I'm wondering if it was intended to mean that she's literally her "father").

The show implies that her son died and she somehow tried to do something to keep him alive but I'm not sure the son that we see is really that, or if it is some result of her memory of her son that she is trying to make herself forget.

The show seems to imply that there are multiple "runs" of the simulation that are the different ships in the 1899 world, but I think that's just a metaphorical representation, and so the 2099 world is just the same thing repeating.

mystes fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 22, 2022

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Hakkesshu posted:

Pet peeve but as a Danish person it really bugs me that all the danes

As a hypothetical Danish person it would have bothered me much more that pretty much all of them were tremendous assholes. Personally, the character I liked least in the entire show (or season) is that Keister guy with his whiny Radiohead/mime/traitor energy. Good thing he decided to jump overboard a few moments after I came to that conclusion.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Finished, my opinion is it's just so typical, they needed to go harder to be interesting but the way they went is bog standard.

Like, you know it's a loving simulation pretty quick but the question is how is it a simulation? They way they went is so boring.

I was thinking it would be a literal physical simulation because the fake world had limitations, walls, hatches, wiring, that might have had interesting implications. In my mind I thought well there's hatches that go through the ship to another "reality" maybe the two worlds are simply split by a plate, the ocean is fake, and the ship never actually moves. I thought maybe they're actually inside the pyramid and it's like a Cubea-like and each face of the pyramid on the inside is a different simulated world they can travel between if they could only "shift their perspective".

In any case, what we got is just a typical computer simulation thing and we're supposed to be blown away by the fact they're in space but that's like the most boring predictable poo poo they could have done.

TheMopeSquad fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 23, 2022

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

finished the show. Pretty weak, especially compared to Dark, which is still the best Netflix show I think I’ve seen yet.

Most unbelievable is that a person who looks like Iben still exists in the future. she got an old timey face. extra in The VVitch lookin face

Ultimately a hollow experience that seemed more interested in having vfx happen rather than anything else.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Finished watching it. I got spoiled on the twist/premise from a dumb article after watching the first episode but it didn't take away from my enjoyment of the series much.

Production stuff that goes into spoiler territory:

Mostly, I enjoyed the meta-commentary that comes with the show's premise and its pointed use of the Volume tech to simulate so many different environments, light the stage realistically, and give the actors something concrete to look at instead of a greenscreen. Literally everything in the show feels like a wink and a nudge towards their use of the Volume--characters peeling back panels to reveal wiring or metal sheets, going around in circles in corridors that don't lead anywhere, or (when it dawned on me personally) when Maura chucks the gun and cracks a glass panel where there should just be air. I never stopped chuckling at people crawling out of holes in the air and grabbing the sides of them on their way out. It honestly made me wonder if they actually achieved those shots practically with the Volume screens with a hole in the center.

It's not the most original idea out there but considering the actual production process as a part of the overall package rather than just a means to an end made me enjoy the whole thing a lot more.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Finished watching it. I got spoiled on the twist/premise from a dumb article after watching the first episode but it didn't take away from my enjoyment of the series much.

Production stuff that goes into spoiler territory:

Mostly, I enjoyed the meta-commentary that comes with the show's premise and its pointed use of the Volume tech to simulate so many different environments, light the stage realistically, and give the actors something concrete to look at instead of a greenscreen. Literally everything in the show feels like a wink and a nudge towards their use of the Volume--characters peeling back panels to reveal wiring or metal sheets, going around in circles in corridors that don't lead anywhere, or (when it dawned on me personally) when Maura chucks the gun and cracks a glass panel where there should just be air. I never stopped chuckling at people crawling out of holes in the air and grabbing the sides of them on their way out. It honestly made me wonder if they actually achieved those shots practically with the Volume screens with a hole in the center.

It's not the most original idea out there but considering the actual production process as a part of the overall package rather than just a means to an end made me enjoy the whole thing a lot more.

Yeah, this is what I was alluding to earlier re: Volume. It's certainly the best use of the technology I've seen so far, the way it mixes the flatness of the image (despite the apparent depth) and the tactility of the SFX projections to create some very cool images. I really loved all of that.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Finished watching it today. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who hated the opening song. I don't remember exactly what episode it was but at some point I was very confident that it was a simulation cause there was no other way for that poo poo to be real. Like, a child gets thrown into the sea then teleports back??? :psyduck: But will the space stuff also be a simulation though? It would make sense if it was cause I don't see Maura being able to do anything in the "real world" at that point. Also I liked that there was a Portuguese character, cause I'm Brazilian and you know, same language but different accent and whatnot.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I've finished episode six and am feeling pretty underwhelmed. I feel like the episodes have gotten rather formulaic, and the only actors who I feel have any chemistry are Tove and Clemence who aren't even supposed to be more than acquaintances.

We'll see if the last two episodes surprise me tomorrow, but right now my gut feeling is that this show did not need to be eight episodes long.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cythereal posted:

I've finished episode six and am feeling pretty underwhelmed. I feel like the episodes have gotten rather formulaic, and the only actors who I feel have any chemistry are Tove and Clemence who aren't even supposed to be more than acquaintances.

Oh man, I thought the Spanish dude and the Amish kid had scorching chemistry.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I watched the first episode, and as someone who really liked Dark, this didn't grab me.

The basic premise, "a ship that's been lost at sea for 4 months, mysteriously returns" is awesome. But it almost feels like a secondary concern, because literally every loving character on the show has a ~*deep and dark secret*~ and a ~*troubled past*~ which is what we're really supposed to care about, and I just don't give a gently caress.

And then at the very end of the episode of course they find a mysterious and creepy devil child locked in a cupboard. On a ship that looks like it's literally sat at the bottom of the ocean for months, it's rusty, it's covered in hanging sea weed and the floors have puddles of water on them, but nobody even remarks on this.

I dunno, I guess it doesn't cost anything to keep watching but the first episode almost feels like a parody of this type of show at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Personally I feel like this is a show that can't really be evaluated based on the first season alone. That's kind of obnoxious, but it either has to explain everything satisfactorily by the end of the second or third season or it's bad.

If you object to that kind of thing in principle and say that it's unreasonable to have an entire season that doesn't make sense until you watch subsequent seasons, that makes complete sense, but otherwise I don't think it makes that much sense to judge specific elements in too much detail based on the first season when their significance (hopefully) simply isn't clear yet.