Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

I agree. Even if the season had stuff I didnt like, Dark is still the only mystery box show to have a satisfying resolution to me. So I will definetely watch it all the way to to end (I watched all of Westworld, lol), but I’m a bit worried about Netflix letting them get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Strong start, weak finish in my book, and probably two or three episodes longer than it needed to be.

The big message of the show seems to be that if you try to forget and erase your past and your pain, you will be trapped by it. Only by acknowledging and accepting what has happened to you are you free to move on.

Which isn't a bad hook to hang a story on, but I feel like it was executed clumsily. Perhaps the second season will tie things together better. As it stands, I feel like the show played out episodes in a very formulaic fashion and took too long to start getting to the point.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 24, 2022

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Cythereal posted:

The big message of the show seems to be that if you try to forget and erase your past and your pain, you will be trapped by it. Only by acknowledging and accepting what has happened to you are you free to move on.

That's a very cool interpretation, I like it a lot.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Big Scary Owl posted:

That's a very cool interpretation, I like it a lot.

My further guess as to the ending:

The Prometheus, with a list of passengers and crew, is a colony ship. The simulation is probably a form of stasis for the crew and passengers on their voyage - the body goes to sleep, but for reasons they can't put the mind to sleep. So the solution is to put everyone's minds into what's probably supposed to be a benign simulation for the journey.

Except Maura and Daniel's son was found to be dying right before the ship left, and Maura in her grief hooked up Elliott to the simulation and perhaps the stasis system, hoping to keep him alive forever, in a fashion. Then she - and here I'm guessing she was the ship's medical officer or some such - put herself into the simulation and altered the simulation to erase her own memories and pain. I'd guess, then, that logically at least the other main characters asked to be put into the simulation with similar modifications.

We know that the falsity in Maura's memory is that she was the one performing the procedure on her son, so it's anyone's guess at this point how the other tormented pasts we saw were altered.

I'm guessing that that was supposed to be the unifying idea of this season. Everyone in the Kerberos simulation except for Daniel and the first mate was trying to erase some awful event from their past.

How things got corrupted from there into the looping simulation and why the Kerberos of all ideas was picked, I don't have much to go on but I'd guess that Ciaran - probably with Henry's help at first - turned the whole thing into an experiment. Henry kept talking about people being driven by their emotions and being unable to separate themselves from their feelings. Daniel and Elliott noted that the Kerberos got farther than any loop before it. So Ciaran wants to see if people ever can truly separate themselves from their past and their feelings and survive.

We never did learn what was killing people belowdecks, and my guess is that that's going to be important for the next season.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Cythereal posted:

My further guess as to the ending:

I guess that depends if Netflix lets them do the planned 3 seasons, in which case I assume the plot would need to be a lot more convoluted to fill that span.

My guess:

The spaceship is also another level of the simulation somehow (that's season 2). The specific clues (like Elliot's tattoo) most likely mean there are more complexities around that they're hinting at. Because of 1) the tattoo indicating someone that was created inside the simulation, 2) the child playroom being the first supposed simulation Maura and Daniel created together, and 3) Maura claiming she can't have children could mean that: she actually can't have children in the real world, and then she and Daniel created Elliot as an AI kid in a simulation. Maura fell in love with him and decided to forget the real world to be with Elliot forever. Daniel is trying to rescue her and get her back to the real world (where she never had a son). Elliot and Ciaran are both AI with one or both of them trapping or extending the simulation in order to "live". How the other characters are involved in all this is unclear though. If the real world is some sort of future then their repressed memories being in the 1800s would mean those memories are not real, and they're some sort of study subjects for trauma in order for AI to learn human behavior or gain consciousness in some way. All hints so far in the show point to at least Ciaran being AI. Everyone has an invitation from him because he runs the simulation. Daniel also refers to something watching them as "it", which can't be Maura's dad. We'll see!

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 25, 2022

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rad Russian posted:

I guess that depends if Netflix lets them do the planned 3 seasons, in which case I assume the plot would need to be a lot more convoluted to fill that span.

My guess:

The spaceship is also another level of the simulation somehow (that's season 2). The specific clues (like Elliot's tattoo) most likely mean there are more complexities around that they're hinting at. Because of 1) the tattoo indicating someone that was created inside the simulation, 2) the child playroom being the first supposed simulation Maura and Daniel created together, and 3) Maura claiming she can't have children could mean that: she actually can't have children in the real world, and then she and Daniel created Elliot as an AI kid in a simulation. Maura fell in love with him and decided to forget the real world to be with Elliot forever. Daniel is trying to rescue her and get her back to the real world (where she never had a son). Elliot and Ciaran are both AI with one or both of them trapping or extending the simulation in order to "live". How the other characters are involved in all this is unclear though. If the real world is some sort of future then their repressed memories being in the 1800s would mean those memories are not real, and they're some sort of study subjects for trauma in order for AI to learn human behavior or gain consciousness in some way. All hints so far in the show point to at least Ciaran being AI. Everyone has an invitation from him because he runs the simulation. Daniel also refers to something watching them as "it", which can't be Maura's dad. We'll see!

What I realized this show really reminds me of is the 1998 film Dark City, which has an extremely similar atmosphere and premise based on questioning reality as a construct. Maura and Daniel even look strikingly similar to the male and female leads of that movie, just with Maura's role shifted to include the role of the neurologist.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

It struck me that this would’ve been much better as a second season, and having the first seasons played more straight, giving us reasons to give a poo poo about characters 4 through 18 and dropping more subtle hints that something is amiss. As it is, we get weird detached character moments from the 3rd string players that don’t really add anything, in the middle of a pretty uninteresting reveal.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I find the simulation reveal to be a little more interesting than it seems tbh, because I've been trying to work out the implications for all the various flashbacks. I suspect they're all rooted in some sort of truth, even if none of them literally happened the way we saw them. What kind of war is everyone reacting to? What actually happened with Ling Yi and the woman she replaced? What's up with the recurring box motif? etc. etc.

This is what I mean by being frustrated by only getting part of the story; I think what we're seeing is, essentially, the truth, except fractally displaced via dream logic. e.g. the way that Jung's Scarab is also a bug in the computer code. If we'd got at least one of these side stories expounded on in this way, towards the end of the season, I think, would alleviate the feeling that this series hasn't really been about anything.

What I'm saying is that I think this show really needed some sort of indication of what its second act is about on a broader, structural level.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Assuming the second season is still a simulation, I'm wondering if we're essentially just going to see the same stuff play out in different metaphorical ways in the second season but with more clues about whatever the reality is

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Cythereal posted:

What I realized this show really reminds me of is the 1998 film Dark City, which has an extremely similar atmosphere and premise based on questioning reality as a construct. Maura and Daniel even look strikingly similar to the male and female leads of that movie, just with Maura's role shifted to include the role of the neurologist.

The John Murdoch character in Dark City was the very first thing I thought of when I saw the Daniel character.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I hope the space ship isn't a second level of simulation, because you can start to piece things together if it isn't. The brother is an AI; they're on a colony ship and the simulation is a stand-in for the journey they're on, perhaps the work they do on the boat even helps the space ship's systems; the war is some future war they're escaping; you've got your classic sci-fi fundamentalist cult etc.

Until we know what's actually reality though, there's no real point thinking about it.

Based on absolutely nothing, I'm saying it's going to be S1: 1899, S2: 2099, S3 (reality): 1999.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Junkenstein posted:

I hope the space ship isn't a second level of simulation, because you can start to piece things together if it isn't. The brother is an AI; they're on a colony ship and the simulation is a stand-in for the journey they're on, perhaps the work they do on the boat even helps the space ship's systems; the war is some future war they're escaping; you've got your classic sci-fi fundamentalist cult etc.

Until we know what's actually reality though, there's no real point thinking about it.

Based on absolutely nothing, I'm saying it's going to be S1: 1899, S2: 2099, S3 (reality): 1999.

Season 2 speculation: 2099 is another sim. Maura has been saying 'wake up' to people in the 1899 sim, but she isn't in a position of control in 2099 where it makes sense that they were hearing her earlier.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I'm hoping 2099 is real just because you can start to play with the puzzle, but if not oh well. Dark did well with increasing escalations and reveals so I'm still optimistic.

Based on what we saw, I think they are on a generation ship fleeing an apocalypse. A ton of the backstories involve guilt over killing someone and taking their place, and if the world is ending taking someone's place IS killing them.

Why they are in a sim is anyone's guess though. I do think the fact that it is also a ship is interesting.

Also that they are on the Prometheus in 2099, not the Kerberos.

But 2099 could easily be a sim as well.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Well I don't know what I was expecting, but this was it.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
After 3 episodes, meh.

So far it has had people really not communicating poo poo they should be communicating, creating unnecessary drama. And people communicating too explicitly, making stuff extremely obvious for the audience so nobody misses it. The “mysterious backgrounds”, already annoying, are made more annoying by being revealed in expository paragraphs.

Reading other opinions it seems it doesn’t get much better

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Mr. Nemo posted:

After 3 episodes, meh.

So far it has had people really not communicating poo poo they should be communicating, creating unnecessary drama. And people communicating too explicitly, making stuff extremely obvious for the audience so nobody misses it. The “mysterious backgrounds”, already annoying, are made more annoying by being revealed in expository paragraphs.

Reading other opinions it seems it doesn’t get much better

A lot of that is because information is siloed by language differences. It's completely intentional, are you listening to it with everything dubbed in English?

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Just finished this show up tonight. I have to agree with most of what everyone else said, but I really cannot stress how aggressively sllllloooowwww paced this show was. I rewatched Dark recently and that show was breakneck pace compared to this. It took me this long to finish this show because I could not be bothered to sit through the glacial plot movement for more than one episode a day at best. Just a complete miss on what made Dark so compelling.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Finished the season and enjoyed it thoroughly but I haven't seen Dark so maybe it will seem awful by comparison based on a lot opinions shared here. I will echo that the cover of White Rabbit for the intro was loving terrible but I do like the original and was fine with its inclusion. I also like a lot of the song choices, they may be obvious and popular but they're songs I like and thought fit well.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Levin posted:

Finished the season and enjoyed it thoroughly but I haven't seen Dark so maybe it will seem awful by comparison based on a lot opinions shared here. I will echo that the cover of White Rabbit for the intro was loving terrible but I do like the original and was fine with its inclusion. I also like a lot of the song choices, they may be obvious and popular but they're songs I like and thought fit well.

Agree about the music. I wish people who cover songs should ask themselves what improvement or shift in perspective (heh) they think they're adding over the original on any level whatsoever, which the awful, awful cover version of White Rabbit most definitely doesn't. The other songs were all good and fitting.

I tend to not make the kind of comparisons nearly everyone here makes to Dark, but try to see if something has its merits. I think this show does and I hope it'll get its second and third season.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
My sister was in town this week and we watched both 1899 and Severance (2nd and 3rd watch respectively). 1899 was a solid 7/10 mystery box but it definitely is a lot slower paced than both Dark and Severance so I can see why people don't like it as much.

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

Levin posted:

If you enjoyed this, you should go watch Dark, now.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

Risutora posted:

Also, under no circumstances should you look anywhere on the internet for explanations of any questions you have about Dark before you finish the series or you run the risk of ruining major plot points for yourself.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The official interactive guide at dark.netflix.io is still up and is excellent, because it lets you select an episode you've seen up to and trims all the spoilers out from what you see.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
And yet I still stand by my statement that under no circumstances should you go on the internet looking for information about Dark without finishing it yourself.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Risutora posted:

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Captain Monkey posted:

A lot of that is because information is siloed by language differences. It's completely intentional, are you listening to it with everything dubbed in English?

Lol no. It’s the main woman not telling the captain she received the exact same letter, or that she recognises the triangle symbol in the hatch, or that the child has it tattooed. Her not mentioning a mysterious random dude showed up in the room next door. Ithe captain not confronting her ok the Promotjeus’ passenger list.

It’s just poo poo. Priest dude and other going “you are jealous” “i killed a man to steal his place so we could be here”, totally unprompted just tl hey the audience up to speed.

It’s shi
Edit: I’ll obviously continue watching

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

mystes posted:

Assuming the second season is still a simulation, I'm wondering if we're essentially just going to see the same stuff play out in different metaphorical ways in the second season but with more clues about whatever the reality is

That sounds super tiresome tbqh.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Finished it. Overall I liked, but it got better in the second half when it stopped being Lost on a Boat.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

This probably would've been better as a movie or something - pretty good but unnecessarily long.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Forgive me, but when does this show get good?

I'm 3 episodes in and I can barely pay attention I'm so bored, Dark had already hooked me hours ago.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Hipster Occultist posted:

Forgive me, but when does this show get good?

I'm 3 episodes in and I can barely pay attention I'm so bored, Dark had already hooked me hours ago.

I just finished it and I'm sorry to say, it doesn't.

I'm willing to give the rest of the series a try if they get the chance to finish it but this is a huge step down from Dark in pretty much every measure. Much less than the sum of it's parts. It has much less going on than Dark did at this point but seems dedicated to making sure any time information is revealed, the characters all tell each other the same information back and forth. The episodes drag on as characters just sort of run around from scene to scene trying to find each other so they can say "wow this stuff that's happening sure is confusing and weird" at one another in a different room this time. In a way, the pace and the script feel like they were altered as a response to people saying Dark was difficult to keep track of by making sure everything happens more slowly and deliberately.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

If you stop now you won’t see the French lady’s big moment: putting on pants. Or the harrowing, tension filled scenes in the final episode where three pairs of people just run down hallways for like 15 minutes and someone says ‘he’s hacked the mainframe’

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
This show was like the caffeine free diet coke version of Dark. Maybe my expectations were too high.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Man, that's disappointing. I had pretty high hopes for this show.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
I mean, I'm not that miffed about it. Dark is an incredibly hard act to follow, and when that show was done I pretty much never really expected anyone to be able to capture lightning in a bottle like that again (kind of like how I feel about True Detective). Dark was actually a really weird aberrant in general, because German TV is almost universally terrible based on the time I spent in Europe, and several of my German friends were kind of surprised that somehow their country managed to produce such a solid piece of television. We're not likely to see that kind of thing again for a long time.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 1, 2022

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I thought this was a fine first season and I enjoyed it and wanted to see what happened. I REALLY think that there isn't a path for season 2 to be any good though. Either it's a completely different show or they contrive some way to reboot everything which would also be dumb. My one issue was WE GET IT YOU HAVE A VOLUME, you don't need to bludgeon us over the head with it. The less you notice that kinda stuff, the better IMO.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

They spent way too much time following characters running around distressed after they revealed it's all a sim and they'll just get rebooted. Why should I care then? I wanted most of these people dead anyway.

Also the music selections were particularly lazy and groan inducing but I'm hoping it's revealed in 2099 the only contemporary music to survive is a "Now that's what I call classic rock" cd or something as a meta excuse.

nooneofconsequence fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 1, 2022

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

GOD the music choices were so bad, the most on-the-nose poo poo imaginable, it's like I was watching a CW show.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It's the music equivalent of all your base are belong to us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
watched the first half hour of the first episode but kinda didn't want to spend all this time with titanic people if there wasn't a monster, ghost, a spaceship, magic or something, the episode previews weren't clear except some creepy little kid shows up and I just didn't wanna go through all that, so skipped to the last episode to see what's up. there is a spaceship but then it's over so the rest of the show must be misfiring simulation junk as they start to figure stuff out. Oddly I don't wanna go back and watch what I skipped but I'm down to watch a season 2?