Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I'm not hip to the spoiler rules for Netflix full drops, but I thought after a few days they weren't needed? I can't imagine watching 2 episodes and reading to the end of a thread like this, so if a mod needs to spoilerize me feel free. I sure as hell didn't set foot ITT til I finished the season.

I liked it. I haven't watched Dark but it was recommended to me and I definitely will, but perhaps not having seen it I didn't have it to compare too, because a lot of the criticism seems to be "it's not Dark" or "it's slower pace than Dark.

For me I compare it to :lost: but in this case it's much more fast paced. Like they cover a season's worth of Lost twists and character infodumps each episode. I liked the way things built, and it morphed into a different show several times.

TIL ITT goons hate classic rock. I thought the songs were great. I didn't hate the White Rabbit cover any more than I hated All Along the Watchtower (both in BSG and The Young/New Pope). And the end songs were rad, especially The Wizard.

Bula Vinaka posted:

I kinda guessed the ending, but, hasn't this been done before?

Yeah, I also got that vibe. The Bowie song was a bit on the nose as a reference. It's also got a Westworld feel, where it's like S1 exists to setup an entirely different show set in a different world. But the real challenge for them will be to do something different than Westworld, Life on Mars (UK and US), Lost, The I-Land, etc. I think it will be worth watching next season and the potential 3rd to see if they stick the landing.

I also have a severe case of Goon Face Blindness, so can someone help a brotha out and give a list of the characters in the pods at the end? It was tough to see recognize some with only faces and different hair, but I assume they are the only real non-NPCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

mcmagic posted:

It's the music equivalent of all your base are belong to us

The all your base song still slaps though.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Only up to episode 4 but poking around has convinced me that Dark would have been an international phenomenon if Netflix had done one episode per week.

Binging kills the meta that makes shows like this really thrive.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
I disagree with the slow sentiment actually, there's no way this is slower than Dark season 1 (btw, which I enjoy, I like a slow burn) - there's a lot of poo poo happening in 1899, it's just that the way you're introduced to the characters you're kinda thrown in there, not really sure what people's motives are or what they went through.. or who's an rear end in a top hat and what is actually occuring with the entire show for most of it, so I think there's an illusion of it being slower than it really is. I think being able to re-watch Dark now in full makes the pacing seem way faster.

Dark really went heavy with introducing you to the characters, and even though there were an equal amount of "I'm not sure if I like this person or not" feels within that, the way a lot of the reveals and "!!!" moments hit is because of that slow burn of things being introduced, often towards the end of the episodes.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I hate the full season drops because I like thinking about the episodes, speculating, and posting here and talking about them. Especially shows like this and Stranger Things. All you get with these are a bunch of SPOILER REDACTED posts like:

quote:

I've watched the first two episodes and I really like how the Quick Brown Fox jumped over the lazy dog. I can't wait to see the rest!

quote:

Watched the whole thing, hated it.

If you read the thread before finishing, you get a bunch of vague stuff, if you click the spoilers you get spoiled, and everyone is on different episodes so there's no actual discussion. You come in at the end and drop your thoughts on the whole thing in one. Takes the fun out of "prestige tv".

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Astroman posted:

I'm not hip to the spoiler rules for Netflix full drops, but I thought after a few days they weren't needed? I can't imagine watching 2 episodes and reading to the end of a thread like this, so if a mod needs to spoilerize me feel free. I sure as hell didn't set foot ITT til I finished the season.

I liked it. I haven't watched Dark but it was recommended to me and I definitely will, but perhaps not having seen it I didn't have it to compare too, because a lot of the criticism seems to be "it's not Dark" or "it's slower pace than Dark.

For me I compare it to :lost: but in this case it's much more fast paced. Like they cover a season's worth of Lost twists and character infodumps each episode. I liked the way things built, and it morphed into a different show several times.

TIL ITT goons hate classic rock. I thought the songs were great. I didn't hate the White Rabbit cover any more than I hated All Along the Watchtower (both in BSG and The Young/New Pope). And the end songs were rad, especially The Wizard.

Yeah, I also got that vibe. The Bowie song was a bit on the nose as a reference. It's also got a Westworld feel, where it's like S1 exists to setup an entirely different show set in a different world. But the real challenge for them will be to do something different than Westworld, Life on Mars (UK and US), Lost, The I-Land, etc. I think it will be worth watching next season and the potential 3rd to see if they stick the landing.

I also have a severe case of Goon Face Blindness, so can someone help a brotha out and give a list of the characters in the pods at the end? It was tough to see recognize some with only faces and different hair, but I assume they are the only real non-NPCs.

Yeah, I really liked it too. Getting into Dark now because of it.

I think the show would be better received if it had come out right after :lost: because in many ways it feels a bit like a take on it. The first four episodes introduce these disparate characters with their own mysteries revealed through flashbacks while they're also isolated and caught in a bigger mystery.

And then that structure completely breaks and you even get glimpses of the flashbacks you won't get to see.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
I liked the show but like others here, I think they dropped the ball on the music choices. A lot of the songs took me out of it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I like All Along the Watchtower.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I wonder if the music issue is the production team being a bunch of foreigners who don't know just how trite the needledrops are.

Also, if you enjoy convoluted mystery boxes, you might also like From, which "airs" on the Epix network.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
I spoiled myself because show bad

Lol that they pulled a Life on Mars. But maybe with a more purposeful simulation, but I’m not gonna read the details

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

mystes posted:

Assuming the second season is still a simulation, I'm wondering if we're essentially just going to see the same stuff play out in different metaphorical ways in the second season but with more clues about whatever the reality is

Hey thanks for posting a big loving spoiler without putting it in spoiler tags

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Taear posted:

Hey thanks for posting a big loving spoiler without putting it in spoiler tags

If you haven't watched the whole season, what did you expect to gain from reading a 4 page thread discussing the entire season? :confused:

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Tbf, that post was a massive unmarked spoiler when tags were still being used in the posts right before it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Junkenstein posted:

Tbf, that post was a massive unmarked spoiler when tags were still being used in the posts right before it.

Yea exactly. I'd got like two pages in and everyone was using spoilers, so I was just reading bits about the episodes I'd seen.
Then, bam

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

SirSamVimes posted:

According to my European girlfriend, if you know one romance language and one germanic language, you can generally get a vague gist of what people are saying in other European languages even if you don't know them. Which is one of the reasons why Ling Yi was particularly isolated lingually, the only languages she spoke had completely different roots so she had to rely far more on interpretation.

I'm British and I speak german and this is just bollocks. Even knowing bits of Danish (and danish/norwegian are mutually intelligable) you've got super different words for things.
It's like saying "well you speak english so you should be able to get the gist of french/german due to so many loan words". No.

I think That's what bothered me the most about the show. Them giving huge speeches to a person who definitely doesn't understand them. While yea, sure, you want it as a cathartic thing, you've said it and the person doesn't know what you mean so it doesn't matter. But to have it happen over and over and over wound me right up.
The very end as well - I could buy the idea that these people all have a horrible thing they want to forget. Maude's kid dying, Portuguese man killing the priest, Tove's rape. Sure. But now it's revealed it's 2088 in actuality, how can all of those things really have happened? How can that danish family not speak english, for one thing!

Sure it might represent what did happen, okay. Maude's one I can buy even. But it does then make it feel like it's all been total bollocks and almost like a waste of time until we see season 2. It feels like it's a difficult hole to dig out of I guess.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

well it wasn't as good as Dark but I liked it! But I love Mystery Box poo poo and twist endings so of course I'm gonna like this.

also feel like it could have been 6 episodes with a little more editing. lots of loooong and ponderous scenes that maybe didn't have to be so long and ponderous.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I watched up to the end of the Fog, and I am super invested in the mystery of the weird poo poo, but I cannot give a single poo poo about the past trauma part of the show.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
I never saw Dark, but this felt like a combination of Lost, Inception and Westworld - mostly the good bits from those things, though, not the poo poo. I really hope there's a point to all the character backstories, though. They need to get on top of that poo poo next season.

AndrewP posted:

lots of loooong and ponderous scenes that maybe didn't have to be so long and ponderous.

It felt like there were a million scenes where a character talks to someone who doesn't speak their language and the other one just stares intensely for a while and then walks away.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Yeah it feels like a good part of the pitch, this tower of babel multilingual barrier during a supernatural crisis. But the show never really does anything with it. It alternates between characters who don't share a language at all just sort of talking at each other, or pretending that they do understand each other well enough to get along with whatever is happening.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Okay finished it, so it was the same plot as Life On Mars?

I'm super confused about the stuff with her Dad and son, if they're on a spaceship and the sim to to basically keep them occupied while they're travelling, what does that part have to do with the rest?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Okay finished it, so it was the same plot as Life On Mars?

I'm super confused about the stuff with her Dad and son, if they're on a spaceship and the sim to to basically keep them occupied while they're travelling, what does that part have to do with the rest?

We don't know yet.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Captain Monkey posted:

We don't know yet.

Ah, I thought there might have been some context I was missing that explained it, or at least gave a hint.

I watched it dubbed because I didn't bother selecting the other language option when i started, so I had no idea certain people were meant to be speaking something other than English because most of the principle cast speaks english anyways. The Danes are the Religious people in Steerage, and I know Ling would be speaking Chinese, who else is speaking what? I figured the crew might have been speaking German due to some of their names.

I looked at back at earlier posts and yea some of that stuff makes sense. Guess we'll find out more when ever season 2 comes out.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

The Danes are the Religious people in Steerage, and I know Ling would be speaking Chinese, who else is speaking what? I figured the crew might have been speaking German due to some of their names.

There's Ángel and Ramiro, the slick-looking guy and the fake Priest, who speak Spanish throughout (Ramiro is supposed to be Portuguese but I have no idea if he actually uses any or if he just speaks Spanish the whole time.)

Then there's the French trio: Lucien and Clémence (the upper class married couple) and Jérôme, the black guy who stows away on the ship. Clémence actually speaks a bit of English here and there, but I think the other two only speak French throughout.

Among the Danes there are also some Norwegians (I remember the subtitles saying "In Norwegian" a few times and thought I'd screwed up thinking Krester's lot were Danish for some reason, until I realized that both nationalities were present). Also I think maybe some of the Scandanavian characters switch to German when speaking to the crew, but I can't remember for sure.

The crew mostly speak German, but some of them speak English, especially the captain when talking to Maura.

Lastly there's Olek, who mostly speaks Polish but also a smattering of German when talking to the crew.

The native English speakers are Maura, Daniel, Elliot (the boy), Henry (Maura's father), Virginia (the madame) and the two stokers down in the boiler room (also that old doctor guy, but I think he only speaks in one scene). Virginia speaks French and Chinese a few times.

(Yes I looked up the names - I couldn't remember any of them except Maura, Olek and Jérôme)

Drunk in Space fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 12, 2022

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I have no idea why it gives you the option to watch it dubbed, it makes the entire thing not make any sense and there's a few bits where you expect one language and it's another.
Eg ling speaks cantonese, but speaks some japanese at the start. Ramon speaks spanish - but is actually portuguese and speaks that later, or when he's surprised.

Drunk in Space posted:

Among the Danes there are also some Norwegians (I remember the subtitles saying "In Norwegian" a few times and thought I'd screwed up thinking Krester's lot were Danish for some reason, until I realized that both nationalities were present). Also I think maybe some of the Scandanavian characters switch to German when speaking to the crew, but I can't remember for sure.

Norwegian and danish are mutually intelligable so the main real difference between the two is the accent and how it's said
Only Tove speaks German and a bit of english out of the scandinavians

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The difference between Danish and Norwegian is definitely not just the "accent". There are somewhat different vocabularies, pronunciations and word orders (there's also the whole schism between Bokmål and Nynorsk, which is an entirely different discussion). It's quite easy to READ both Swedish and Norwegian, but because of the different cadences in the spoken languages, being able to have a full blown conversation with a native Norwegian speaker would be tricky unless you had practice or took it slow. These days I rarely get to hear any Norwegian at all so I'm incredibly rusty.

Ask any Scandinavian how much poo poo Danes get for the way our numbers system works and how no one is able to understand it.

Edit: There are also many cases of English speakers who become fluent in Danish and find both Swedish and Norwegian to be utterly incomprehensible.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 12, 2022

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Drunk in Space posted:

I never saw Dark, but this felt like a combination of Lost, Inception and Westworld - mostly the good bits from those things, though, not the poo poo. I really hope there's a point to all the character backstories, though. They need to get on top of that poo poo next season.

It felt like there were a million scenes where a character talks to someone who doesn't speak their language and the other one just stares intensely for a while and then walks away.

Dark is the best version of any show you just named. You should watch Dark.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

The difference between Danish and Norwegian is definitely not just the "accent". There are somewhat different vocabularies, pronunciations and word orders (there's also the whole schism between Bokmål and Nynorsk, which is an entirely different discussion). It's quite easy to READ both Swedish and Norwegian, but being able to have a full blown conversation with a native Norwegian speaker would be tricky unless you had practice or took it slow. These days I rarely get to hear any Norwegian at all so I'm incredibly rusty.

Ask any Scandinavian how much poo poo Danes get for the way our numbers system works and how no one is able to understand it.

It's 1899 so Nynorsk has only just come into existence (five years ago? ten?)
I know danish is a huge joke to norwegians but still, at this point in history you'd not long have since been one big country.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I mean the real world logistics of that are pretty pointless considering no one in the show speaks 19th century Danish either.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

I mean the real world logistics of that are pretty pointless considering no one in the show speaks 19th century Danish either.

Well true, related to my first post about the show the entire way the language stuff works is stupid but having the show dubbed makes it make even LESS sense

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I really wanted to like this, because old timey ocean liners are cool and introducing mystery and supernatural elements is even cooler but it just feels like too much of a shaggy dog story. The characters never have time to properly react to or investigate any hint of mystery, 'cos 30 seconds later, yet another weird thing pops up. It's like the writers thought that if a plot hook is good, 50 plot hooks must be 50 times as good, and it really isn't.

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

Should update the thread title to say Watch Dark first.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Pistol_Pete posted:

I really wanted to like this, because old timey ocean liners are cool and introducing mystery and supernatural elements is even cooler but it just feels like too much of a shaggy dog story. The characters never have time to properly react to or investigate any hint of mystery, 'cos 30 seconds later, yet another weird thing pops up. It's like the writers thought that if a plot hook is good, 50 plot hooks must be 50 times as good, and it really isn't.

Yeah, the difference between this and Dark is that in Dark, each surprising reveal provides an interesting new layer to the existing story or an enticing new direction we could go in. Like, showing how (vague Dark premise spoilers) an event was part of the time loop in a way we hadn't realized, or one character is related to another character (or IS another character), or that there's ANOTHER time period that's part of the loop. Whereas here each reveal just feels like extending a new path out into the abyss and I have no idea what it means or what it's building to. Okay so the mystery behind the ship tunnels is that (1899 spoilers) it's a computer simulation so literally anything could just have secret portals to anywhere else arbitrarily. That's surprising, but too broad to be compelling.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah, the difference between this and Dark is that in Dark, each surprising reveal provides an interesting new layer to the existing story or an enticing new direction we could go in. Like, showing how (vague Dark premise spoilers) an event was part of the time loop in a way we hadn't realized, or one character is related to another character (or IS another character), or that there's ANOTHER time period that's part of the loop. Whereas here each reveal just feels like extending a new path out into the abyss and I have no idea what it means or what it's building to. Okay so the mystery behind the ship tunnels is that (1899 spoilers) it's a computer simulation so literally anything could just have secret portals to anywhere else arbitrarily. That's surprising, but too broad to be compelling.

and totally invalidates every single thing that has happened in the show up to that point

As you say, with Dark each bit builds on what comes before

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Wanted to write up some 1899 thoughts but I finished it, and having loved Dark and really loved the look of this show from the previews, I did not find this enjoyable whatsoever. I felt like the multiple languages conceit in this show just ended up hamstringing the narrative. You have multiple scenes of people talking at each other but not relating at all, and despite it all there just isn't even any character drama mined from it!!! Like theres just multiple scenes of people jibber jabbering at each other and the other person just stares blankly, no one ever breaks and says "WHAT R U SAYING MY GOD I CANT UNDERSTAND WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!" they just blink and then probably jibber jabber back in their own language something unrelated. The worst is that the characters who can speak to each other don't share information, and its in the worst way of these mystery box shows where there ISN'T REALLY a reason why they can't.

Daniel and the kid are portrayed villainously at the beginning (ep4+ spoilers) but the moment you realize they're on the "good" side or whatever the dark shadowy lighting goes away from their faces or whatever and they are just normal characters like everyone else. Stupid. (end spoiler) Why is everyone having memories from the 1800s and reliving them when they're actually on board a space ship?

It just feels like everything was designed to obfuscate the twist at the end instead of working in service of the story. I never felt that way in Dark, where the gradual reveal of many different twists and turns felt organic to the story. There also was like... zero likeable characters in this show. My god. Dark had a bunch of characters, who even if they were bad people, were fun to watch. This show was a charisma abyss.

Due to the steampunk tech aesthetic not really mattering, they also don't bother explain anything, so (overall show spoiler) you just have people going on using those dumbass little circle remotes and we the audience have no idea what is happening or why or what will happen if character does X or Y so there is zero tension. Like Daniel at the end they spend 5 minutes cutting back to him intensely moving his circles around and we learn that he "rewrote the code" or whatever but none of that is coming through at the time, its just a fully failed scene.

Really surprising to see such a fall from grace. Maybe the show will be more interesting now (end spoiler) that its in space.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 12, 2022

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Drunk in Space posted:

There's Ángel and Ramiro, the slick-looking guy and the fake Priest, who speak Spanish throughout (Ramiro is supposed to be Portuguese but I have no idea if he actually uses any or if he just speaks Spanish the whole time.)

Then there's the French trio: Lucien and Clémence (the upper class married couple) and Jérôme, the black guy who stows away on the ship. Clémence actually speaks a bit of English here and there, but I think the other two only speak French throughout.

The crew mostly speak German, but some of them speak English, especially the captain when talking to Maura.

Lastly there's Olek, who mostly speaks Polish but also a smattering of German when talking to the crew.

The native English speakers are Maura, Daniel, Elliot (the boy), Henry (Maura's father), Virginia (the madame) and the two stokers down in the boiler room (also that old doctor guy, but I think he only speaks in one scene). Virginia speaks French and Chinese a few times.

(Yes I looked up the names - I couldn't remember any of them except Maura, Olek and Jérôme)

This was helpful, as it explained some of the reactions between characters that seemed really confusing with it dubbed. Like I had no idea why when everyone else reacted to Jerome besides the French couple like they couldn't understand him.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Risutora posted:

Should update the thread title to say Watch Dark first.

Makes more sense to watch the better one second imho.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Hakkesshu posted:

The difference between Danish and Norwegian is definitely not just the "accent". There are somewhat different vocabularies, pronunciations and word orders (there's also the whole schism between Bokmål and Nynorsk, which is an entirely different discussion). It's quite easy to READ both Swedish and Norwegian, but because of the different cadences in the spoken languages, being able to have a full blown conversation with a native Norwegian speaker would be tricky unless you had practice or took it slow. These days I rarely get to hear any Norwegian at all so I'm incredibly rusty.

Edit: There are also many cases of English speakers who become fluent in Danish and find both Swedish and Norwegian to be utterly incomprehensible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95eq0AzQ7Mw

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
For me, the only really abrasive thing about the show are the formulaic, repetitive and overly negative comments in this thread.

I'll give the authors a chance to finish their story and hold off on the harsh judgments until then. For some inexplicable reason, outside of this thread the show was apparently not hated by an overwhelming majority, so there's a chance those seasons will be made.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

For me, the only really abrasive thing about the show are the formulaic, repetitive and overly negative comments in this thread.

I'll give the authors a chance to finish their story and hold off on the harsh judgments until then. For some inexplicable reason, outside of this thread the show was apparently not hated by an overwhelming majority, so there's a chance those seasons will be made.

I actually like the show enough to be frustrated by it, and I'll keep watching in the hopes the later seasons deliver. I do enjoy most of the characters and the whole language/culture mashup conceit. I'm just really frustrated with the mystery and the way that it's unraveling feels counter to what makes one of these shows really click, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

Most of the reviews I've seen have been pretty bad?
Because it's a pretty bad show, right now