Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tender Bender posted:

I actually like the show enough to be frustrated by it, and I'll keep watching in the hopes the later seasons deliver. I do enjoy most of the characters and the whole language/culture mashup conceit. I'm just really frustrated with the mystery and the way that it's unraveling feels counter to what makes one of these shows really click, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

This is my feeling at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Goddamn I'm on episode 5 and I was not expect mass suicide. This show certainly goes 0 - 60

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I've thought about this for awhile and I want it to be two shows. I really enjoyed the weirdness of the 1899 setting and the mystery there and having it revealed to all be a simulation was a bit unsatisfying. I would much rather have explored some kind of mystery there, because some of it was so good. The mass suicide scene was so compelling with the light from the windows flickering as people fell past. I wanted that to be explored more. At the same time, I don't mind "it was all a simulation" as a plot, but I would have wanted them to get there a bit faster and focus on that more, instead of essentially the misdirection of the in-simulation strangeness.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
If I like this show would I like The Dark?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

SalTheBard posted:

oh hell yeah

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

SalTheBard posted:

Dark is amazing, it's a thousand times better than this.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I feel like 1899 is good but Dark is better so people should do like me and watch 1899 first, like it, then check Dark.

I'm still liking 1899 slightly more because I finished it and I got too busy to continue Dark lol. It's really good though!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I do not think anyone should watch this show as it is very bad. I did love it when they were like "god drat we're tired of all these extras and secondary characters just turn on the plot siren and MARCH THEM INTO THE SEA"

The apparent premise of 'bizarre experiments on an ocean liner' is much more compelling than the eventual reveal. Also every single character is incredibly tedious to watch. Stop asking the nonverbal kid if he's gonna say something! He's not! Oh wait he is. You asked enough. He talks now.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
He talks now?!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

He talks now.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

General Battuta posted:

I do not think anyone should watch this show as it is very bad.

ok ill stop watching

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

That’s for the best

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I like this show.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

SirSamVimes posted:

I like this show.

:same:

It's gonna be ambitious for them to stick the landing and not go Westworld, but I'll give them a chance.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I guess the question now is, will Netflix give them the chance?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Open Source Idiom posted:

I guess the question now is, will Netflix give them the chance?

18-nein-nein

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
The show will not return.

https://twitter.com/1899Netflix/status/1609989253571743871?s=20

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Well, gently caress.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

That's disappointing, I think it would have been much better viewed as a whole given they clearly intended to have three seasons to tell the story. It's pretty clear they would have gone 2099 for season 2 and 1999 for season 3, I recall at the very beginning of the show the protagonist starts to say it's 1999 before correcting themselves.

Levin fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 2, 2023

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Fucksake. Yeah, 1899 was mid but it deserved better than this poo poo. Netflix have literally any faith in your shows challenge 2023.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Well, that's some bullshit.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I only finished the stupid season because I expected a second. I had faith in the Dark creators to get better. Guess Netflix didn't.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Well, can we have at least an outline of how the plot would have been? That would be nice

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Feeling good that I won't be goaded into watching any more of this.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Want to get it un-canceled? This is certain to work:

https://www.change.org/p/renew-1899-on-netflix

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

not sure if the show deserves the amount of effort that is required to even click on the petition link

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 27 days!)

This is only the second time I've watched an anticipated netflix series get dumped shortly after released (the other was cowboy bebop). With both shows, I watched one episode and decided it wasn't for me. But there always seems to be a strong response to these sorts of cancellations because of the way netflix puts things out - whole season at a time, assesses immediate impact, and then cuts the head off.

episode 1 of this was pretty bad. There was probably a huge dropoff in viewers after that.

If it was aired weekly on a tv channel, it probably would've been clear from the ratings dwindling over time that the show was doomed. But since netflix does it this way, it seems much more dramatic and is probably much more disappointing for the actual fans and creators alike.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

roomtone posted:

This is only the second time I've watched an anticipated netflix series get dumped shortly after released

Another one from 2019, is The OA. It got a second season, but the writers wanted a third one and ended the 2nd one on a "meta" twist/cliffhanger.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare
The sad thing is that now there's really no reason to watch even the first season. I don't think they had anything very interesting to say, few if any really compelling characters, nor any real standout scenes in this first season. I liked the spooky steamship setting but the whole premise of the show makes that moot, too.

I guess creators shouldn't write a first season assuming they will get more.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
So I started rewatching Dark after this and it's ridiculous how much better Dark is

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

So it was LITERALLY the Life on Mars US ending. In every way, right down to the "no second season." :drat:

There is really no point to doing an ambitious mystery box show with a multiseason plan if you can't get a multiseason commitment. Even less point in watching one I guess.

The fact that Netflix won't do so even for proven successful creators like the people who did Dark, or Mike Flanagan, makes it even more pointless for anyone to try. And with Flanagan they got what they deserved, though allegedly him jumping ship and taking his Henry Thomas and Carla Gugino elsewhere had nothing to do with the cancellation of Midnight Club.

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

disappointing but extremely unsurprising

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
I want to preface by saying this would be really stupid if true, but…

What if this is to garner attention shortly before Netflix announces a ‘new’ series named 2099?

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I thought this was weaker than Dark, but I enjoyed it enough and am disappointed we aren’t getting more. Even comparing first seasons, since it’s unfair to hold this to a concluded show, it didn’t feel as tight.

It’s fun finishing mystery box shows in a couple days, but I feel like something is really lost culturally without a weekly drip. People’s pet theories don’t get a chance to breathe and I think the week-to-week discussions help pull people in who then join the discussions, which pull people in, etc. You could say this about all TV of course and can see it with HBO and Disney. I think it especially applies to mysteries, though.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
If people had to watch this show weekly it would be even more vapid and frustrating. "Random bullshit happens for no apparent reason and once you know the reason it undermines the entire setting and the motivations of all the characters" does not interesting weekly discussion make. Imagine how many times whats-her-face the protagonist begged the kid to talk, how many theories we'd have about why he doesn't talk, how frustrating it would be when he just decides to start talking. Oh man, the ship teleported? What's going to happen next week? Nothing. Nobody will care. How is the civil war on the ship going to work out??? It doesn't matter. Everybody just stops fighting and jumps in the ocean.

Also it would be excruciating, excruciating to deal with this show's pacing on a weekly basis.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

You’re not wrong about people getting frustrated, but I think you :lost: the forest for the trees.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Lost and 1899 are very similar! Lost had a very clear schema (what the showrunners called an operating principle) which kept people engaged while they waited for The Big Answers. Every week a character would encounter something on the island - a conflict, an enigma, a crisis, a decision - which would ask them to confront something from their past (as revealed in flashbacks). So there was a constant byplay between new revelations about the characters’ past and new connections or mysteries on the island. That’s why people loved Lost. Jack’s dad is on the island, Locke can walke, Sun speaks English, Kate was the fugitive, Hurley is cursed by the numbers - these are all stories that we get from the byplay between flashback and island.

1899 tried to do that too, with the ship acting as a literal vessel for various peoples’ losses and trauma, but the weird things happening on the ship were too arbitrary and the characters too bewildered and miserable. Lost worked because people gave a poo poo about the colorful and weird personalities involved, even background characters like Rose and Bernard. I think 1899 was also at its best when it gave the characters a little room to breathe and dig into their own past. I liked some of them and wanted to know more: the fake prostitute and her mom, the French foreign legion broke dick epileptic guy. But the show dove so deep headlong into guys pushing funny buttons and teleporting ships and bedroom portals and sinister children and mysterious deaths and pathfinding beetles and triangles and “the ship company” (use the name you weirdo) that it became a series of meaninglessly absurdities to which the only obvious solution was either “it’s all a dream” or “they’re in the Matrix”. The characters weren’t exploring their relationships with their past, they were just reacting to escalating amounts of nonsense happening all around them. Reactions are interesting, but not as interesting as choices.

And neither of those solutions, dream or matrix, are really as interesting as the initial premise of “a bunch of people on the Marie Celeste II but it’s also a weird experiment”.

Also Lost had a big colorful expensive island to explore. 1899 had an ugly little titanic.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I also don't know if this is a fair comparison, and I know there are other "life is a simulation" stories, but The Matrix exists and pulled off the "Everyone is living in a simulation and these intricate settings and architecture are just arbitrary simulation settings" without making me question why I'd care about anything if it's all fake, instead reinforcing why I SHOULD care. So much of this show feels like a less tight replication of that, especially Matrix Resurrections which is explicitly about people forced to relive a traumatic cycle and trying to break out :v:

Still like I said, I enjoyed this show enough to critique it and want to see how it played out. Losing it is a bummer.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Not surprising because this show was capital-B-Bad but how does Netflix can a show made by one of their acclaimed creative teams which is explicitly based around some 3 season story progression? Like if anyone should get leash it should be the people behind Dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

It wasn’t Dark but I was into it. That really sucks.