Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
Yeah I overall enjoyed this despite some of the criticism i had of the dialogue. Hope we get a story outline of seasons 2 and 3 to see if this would have improved or gone fully off the rails. i would have watched the whole way through either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
There is a good chance the should would have improved in a second season. My main problem was the characters who were not interesting which makes sense from a story point as they are not real, just avatars in a simulation unaware of that
Maybe the creators were so sure they would get three seasons that they did not feel the need to have the audience invest in the story and characters for an entire season.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Just read that this was cancelled. I've had it on my backlog to watch though. Is it still worth watching even though it won't get resolved?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Kin posted:

Just read that this was cancelled. I've had it on my backlog to watch though. Is it still worth watching even though it won't get resolved?

I would honestly say no. It didn't come to a satisfying point and was going to live or die based on how the next few seasons went. I would just watch Dark if you haven't already, it's already finished and it's excellent.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Kin posted:

Watch Severance

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

General Battuta posted:

Watch Severance

This. And then suffer waiting for the second season :negative:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Kin posted:

Absolutely not, it's really bad and without a resolution to how it ends it genuinely doesn't make sense right now.
As others have said I do hope they release a thing going "so this is what we were gonna do"

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Well, shame about this show I guess, but from reading the last few pages it looks like people eventually soured on it anyway. I read some very positive initial impressions and had this on my shortlist of stuff to watch, but I guess it's not worth it.

Looking at Dark right now instead -- is the recommendation to watch it in German with English subtitles, or is the English dub good? It's easier for me to stick with a show if I can look away from the screen without missing dialogue.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Phenotype posted:

Well, shame about this show I guess, but from reading the last few pages it looks like people eventually soured on it anyway. I read some very positive initial impressions and had this on my shortlist of stuff to watch, but I guess it's not worth it.

Looking at Dark right now instead -- is the recommendation to watch it in German with English subtitles, or is the English dub good? It's easier for me to stick with a show if I can look away from the screen without missing dialogue.

German with subs. Also, Dark is not a show you can look away from for a second. Huge implications are hidden away in poo poo like family photographs or other things that appear on screen for a few moments and which are never commented on verbally. It's not a show that holds your hand, and it moves at a breakneck pace.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
If you want a not Dark German show on Netflix watch Babylon Berlin.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kin posted:

Definitely not, unfortunately, and I say this as someone who enjoyed it and was excited for the next season.

It was just too pure of a mystery box to stand on its own.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I just finished watching this last weekend, enjoyed it and now its cancelled. Great. :sigh:

I guess I'll check out Dark next, at least that's done with no chance of being cancelled.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Phenotype posted:

I (re-)started it the other day, and I'm kind of the same as you; I tend to focus too much on the bottom of the screen when I watch something without English dubs and miss a lot of visual elements. The English dub has been fine so far? If you watch the dub with subtitles, you'll see some discrepancies. The gist is always the same, but sometimes sentences are inverted or short lists are presented in a different order. I can't think of an actual example off-hand, but you might see subtitles that read, "He was as tall as dad and had blue eyes," while the dub says, "He had blue eyes and was dad's height." Little stuff like that.

But otherwise the dub hasn't taken me out of the story or been a distraction so far. The actors' voices have emotion that appears to match the scene and all that stuff.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Also, Dark is not a show you can look away from for a second. Huge implications are hidden away in poo poo like family photographs or other things that appear on screen for a few moments and which are never commented on verbally.
I do agree with this though. Either way you watch, expect to pay attention. The dubs just help me take in more of the screen.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Didn't realize there was a thread for this show, but I enjoyed it well enough. It bears an extreme resembles to a book that came out this year, Alistair Reynolds's Eversion, which fully plays out a way I expected the show to keep going with future seasons.

It is really a remarkably similar concept sci-fi wise, though the book doesn't have anywhere near as many side characters/fluff as the tv show, and I'd recommend it as a read if you were planning on watching this or its now canceled future seasons.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Taear posted:

As others have said I do hope they release a thing going "so this is what we were gonna do"

How often does this happen, though? Most creators seem to want to keep their stories to themselves, just in case they can use them.

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

Snuffman posted:

I guess I'll check out Dark next, at least that's done with no chance of being cancelled.

Hey now, Netflix could still take note from Hbo and banish the show into the nether.

Moltke
May 13, 2009

werdnam posted:

How often does this happen, though? Most creators seem to want to keep their stories to themselves, just in case they can use them.

The example coming to mind is "The Knick" where Soderbergh confirmed that the series would just ahead 50 years with the same cast playing new characters for 2 more seasons, followed by another time jump for seasons 5/6. Light on detail but enough structure to let you fill in the plot yourself.

For 1899, I'd settle for a confirmation that season 2 is 2099, and season 3 is 1999 without much other detail. That's more than enough for me to fill in the story with my own head cannon.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I dunno, if they confirmed that 2099 was reality, you could start making sense of a lot of stuff. If 2099 is another layer of the simulation.....not so much, given what we have to go off.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
The alternate reality "what is real?" element of the show might make an explanation of the big picture seem just monkeycheese random if it was just summed up on writing. If Dark was cancelled after a season and you got a brief summary of the rest of the story it would hardly make you go "oh, that makes sense."

I guess we'll never know if they'd have stuck the landing. From what we got I have my doubts.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Dark had a ton of other stuff going for it at the end as well, even down to the textural level; there was a real joy in seeing the end result of all the absolute galaxy brain horseshit they pulled to create the incredibly uncanny scenes in the final season (specifically how the absolute madmen built separate mirrored sets and then had the actors do all their scenes with the directions flipped and then mirrored the footage, creating the illusion of mirror image people doing completely normal actions), and, like, you would never in a million years have seen that kind of thing coming just from looking at season 1, and I'm quite confident 1899 had something equally incredible in the works and there absolutely cannot be a written synopsis that does it justice.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

AtraMorS posted:

But otherwise the dub hasn't taken me out of the story or been a distraction so far. The actors' voices have emotion that appears to match the scene and all that stuff.

What

I turned off the subs in under two minutes, or whenever the first quiet, almost whispered dialogue(in the German) scene between two lovers in bed in the morning was delivered with the same emotion and volume as a regular conversation between friends in a somewhat loud restaurant.

I was gonna get around to checking out 1899, sad to see the way it went and peeps saying not to bother. Quite a shame. Dark was just wonderful.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Bula Vinaka posted:

Another one from 2019, is The OA. It got a second season, but the writers wanted a third one and ended the 2nd one on a "meta" twist/cliffhanger.

The OA actually angered me. One of the characters is this legit psychopath who is violently attacking people constantly and threatening others, but oh no poor guy is just misunderstood. "Isn't it your job to teach all kids?" she asks of the Teacher that expels him after he openly threatens to murder her because she told him to stop assaulting people? What the gently caress? I then read that the creators are real new age shitheads and I shouldn't have been surprised at the shows content.

mystes
May 31, 2006

A bunch of things in season 1 of the OA annoyed me but season 2 was just so delightfully insane

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Can't another network just pick it up? Seems like anyone can get a show on Amazon Prime. Manifest switched and that show is crap. The Expanse switched too if I recall correctly.
Why dont shows like The OA and this go elsewhere? gently caress Netflix and their terrible Programming department.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I mean, The OA didn't go anywhere else because it was loving insane and played all of its, "the audience is just watching this to see where it takes us" cards by the end of season 1. That was really a show that nailed a complete story in 1 season and never should have continued. It was a great meta narrative on how willing you were to suspend disbelief when being told a story, and needed to end with no clear answer on WTF the end meant, but Nope, they just decided to make that terrible second season and no one watched it.

Most of these canceled shows don't go anywhere, but their ratings are trash. The Expanse actually had solid ratings on cable, but it wasn't hitting the GoT numbers the network wanted. That's why it got picked up. Same for other shows that make the jump.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I mean, The OA didn't go anywhere else because it was loving insane and played all of its, "the audience is just watching this to see where it takes us" cards by the end of season 1. That was really a show that nailed a complete story in 1 season and never should have continued. It was a great meta narrative on how willing you were to suspend disbelief when being told a story, and needed to end with no clear answer on WTF the end meant, but Nope, they just decided to make that terrible second season and no one watched it.
I have said this multiple times before but the real problem is that people who liked the end to season 1 definitely wouldn't like season 2 and people who would like season 2 probably didn't bother to watch it because they hated the end of season 1

I disagree about season 2 but I say that as someone who hated the end to season 1

I also don't feel like the show was complete and they just pointlessly stretched it out, because despite being a somewhat surprising direction to go in that will piss people off who like intentionally ambiguous endings, season 2 actually makes a ton of sense and was clearly planned out because of how well it explains the seemingly contradictory/impossible stuff in season 1, and in retrospect it makes perfect sense that the thing that happened at the beginning of season 2 had already happened at the beginning of season 1.

It's also just took it in a really cool, interesting sci-fi/fantasy type direction that's pretty unusual for a tv show.

mystes fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 6, 2023

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Justin Credible posted:

What

I turned off the subs in under two minutes, or whenever the first quiet, almost whispered dialogue(in the German) scene between two lovers in bed in the morning was delivered with the same emotion and volume as a regular conversation between friends in a somewhat loud restaurant.
I don't mean to be a poo poo, but I said what I said. If you need to read the post again, you're more than welcome. The dub was fine. Not superb, but it gets the job done. No translation is perfect, no matter the medium, and the dub helps me watch the show instead of reading the script. I was trying to give advice to someone who's coming at the show from a similar perspective.

But hey, I'm sure two minutes' worth of knowledge is valuable to somebody.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

AtraMorS posted:

I don't mean to be a poo poo, but I said what I said. If you need to read the post again, you're more than welcome. The dub was fine. Not superb, but it gets the job done. No translation is perfect, no matter the medium, and the dub helps me watch the show instead of reading the script. I was trying to give advice to someone who's coming at the show from a similar perspective.

Stop watching things dubbed. Especially this.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Significantly more people.watch dubs than subs, right? Or is that just anime, I forget.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Personally I like watching subbed stuff, specially when it's from other countries cause I like hearing other languages. Also german sounds cool imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQTUCOx7TwI

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I just don't see how you can compete with the original production, with the complete performances of the original actors, as personally directed by the original director. In certain animated media and video games with either stylised art or advanced lip physics generation combined with a very good localisation director, you can make something that avoids any disconnects but for any live action show I'm 100% sub 100% of the time. I don't think it's possible for a dub to be made that's worth it. This is all triple true for 1899, a show in which multiple language disconnects are literally written into the plot (even if the overall writing around it was clunky).

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I usually watch subs, especially of all the Korean sci-fi I've been watching lately (if you haven't seen Sissyphus or The Silent Sea you are missing out big time). And I really am enjoying Into the Night and it's various sister series. I like to hear the emotion in the original actors performances, even if I can't quite match up the words I'm reading to what they say. Subs force you to pay attention too. I'm very guilty of reading or surfing the internet while watching a show, but you can't look away for long with a subtitled show.

That said Dark is a bit hard to follow, and I think it's because of the cultural disconnect as an American. I don't see a lot of difference in 1980s Germany and 2020s Germany so when they are showing the different time periods, except when they really throw it in your face (LOOK AT THE 1980S COLORS THE KIDS ARE WEARING! HERE'S A RUBIK'S CUBE!) it all looks same-ish to me. Like I cannot easily tell a 1985 European car from a 2018 European car, at least not as easily as I can American ones. Especially compared to watching period pieces in the US, like Stranger Things or Mad Men. I also, at least the few episodes in I am, am having more than usual difficulty keeping up with the characters and who is who's younger self. I'm enjoying it though.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

AtraMorS posted:

Wasn't a personal attack on you, and I'm of the opinion that if they can't even get one of the introductory parts of the show even halfway there with the dub, it would be pointless to bother with the rest. And why I think it's bad. Enjoy things how you like, I just think you'll be missing the real tapestry of it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I can't imagine watching Dark without Adam's incredible voice

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Astroman posted:

That said Dark is a bit hard to follow, and I think it's because of the cultural disconnect as an American. I don't see a lot of difference in 1980s Germany and 2020s Germany so when they are showing the different time periods, except when they really throw it in your face (LOOK AT THE 1980S COLORS THE KIDS ARE WEARING! HERE'S A RUBIK'S CUBE!) it all looks same-ish to me. Like I cannot easily tell a 1985 European car from a 2018 European car, at least not as easily as I can American ones. Especially compared to watching period pieces in the US, like Stranger Things or Mad Men. I also, at least the few episodes in I am, am having more than usual difficulty keeping up with the characters and who is who's younger self. I'm enjoying it though.

Is this sarcasm?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bip Roberts posted:

Is this sarcasm?

Nope, I'm just a big dumb fat burger eating 'Murican with face blindness.

But there is a definite difference in European culture and clothing trends compared to American. To the point where I can pick up the minutest differences in the timeline with historical events or technology in, say "For All Mankind"'s America when looking at their 80s/90s vs ours, but the differences between past and present in Dark don't register with me the same way.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Astroman posted:

don't see a lot of difference in 1980s Germany and 2020s Germany so when they are showing the different time periods, except when they really throw it in your face (LOOK AT THE 1980S COLORS THE KIDS ARE WEARING! HERE'S A RUBIK'S CUBE!) it all looks same-ish to me. Like I cannot easily tell a 1985 European car from a 2018 European car, at least not as easily as I can American ones. Especially compared to watching period pieces in the US, like Stranger Things or Mad Men. I also, at least the few episodes in I am, am having more than usual difficulty keeping up with the characters and who is who's younger self. I'm enjoying it though.

This loving blows my mind what the hell, it's so insanely different. And it's different in the same way the US is, I don't understand how you can't see it.

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010
I get not "seeing" fashion and such, but failing to see the difference in time between a 1980's boxy compact VW and a 2010's Audi SUV is just unbelievable to me.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Random thoughts...

I would have watched Cowboy Bebop, but after I learned they cancelled it, now I don't want to.

Another thing I wondered, is if torrenting is affecting this, as they have no real way to track all of the illegal downloading stuff. (Some pay services let users download torrents on their servers using a web interface, and they cache the popular torrents, so a user entering a magnet link will get an instant download... again, no way to track how many people are doing things like that, even if they try to monitor the torrents themselves.)

I think they're cancelling too many series and it's going to hurt them. No one is going to want to watch a season of something that ends on a cliffhanger or twist and then gets cancelled right away.

Who is old enough to remember when Farscape got cancelled? I don't remember now how they got the money to make the two part movie series finale. No Kickstarter et all back then. I remember reading, that it was cancelled because even though it was a highly rated series with millions of fans, it cost a lot of money to make it, and SyFy decided it wasn't worth it to spend the amount of money the final season would have cost them, as it took too much away from the end revenue. A lot of viewers, just not enough.

Even though ratings work different now on streaming services that don't have ads, I still think we're seeing the same path on Netflix, where they want shows that get them more subscribers and are cheaper to make, like reality shows (i.e., Too Hot to Handle, etc.).

1899 is larger budget, and I think since Netflix is no longer the cash cow that it once was, they have to be very selective now about larger budget series. But they shouldn't be greenlighting large budget series that are intended for multiple seasons, and then cancel them right away. I think that kind of poo poo is going to cost them more viewers than just not greenlighting at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Edit nm

Koirhor fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 13, 2023