Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh man I want this now.

Now!

Do we reckon it's a virus or time poo poo or a monster flick or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
What I find interesting is the trailers aren't giving away pretty much anything at all. They're really keeping the concept back on this one, pretty much just indicating a tone and a location.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Someone needs to ban White Rabbit.

Edit: oh ship, that's Emily Beecham. She better do a loving high kick or this show is RUINED FOREVER.

(No but seriously, she's a good actor who spent several years on the very silly but surprisingly well cast Into The Badlands, and she really sold her fight choreo.)

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Nov 17, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Ep 2.

I've watched too much TV and now I can spot a psycho gay at twenty paces.

That these flashbacks aren't just hallucinations, but seem to be physically altering the structure of the ship is very cool.

I do not enjoy these bugs, no I do not.

Wish they'd stop getting Jefferson Airplane on my Ben Frost.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Finished it, liked it, but has that DARK "problem" where they're clearly expecting a second season to continue the story.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh man, the use of Volume in this is the best I've seen since The Batman. They did a really good job of it IMO.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Was thinking about this show again; I really like it, but I am frustrated with how much more I wanted from everything. I loved the characters, the performances, th visuals, everything, but it's so blatantly only part of a show and it frustrated me greatly.

I reckon the second season will inevitably see the cast wandering around inside each other's memories and doing weird hosed up things in there, and I'm super down for that.

Holy poo poo the original score was good in this though. I love, love, love Ben Frost (DARK, Fortitude, the first season of Raised By Wolves) but this was a whole new level.

Risutora posted:

also the music choices are just completely baffling, its like they forgot they were supposed to have special songs at the end of each episode and just threw a greatest of dad rock collection there the night before launch. loving white rabbit as the opening song after the greatness of the dark opening is just ugh.

yeah it's frustrating because the opening is otherwise really strong. The lobotomy image is great.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Finished watching it. I got spoiled on the twist/premise from a dumb article after watching the first episode but it didn't take away from my enjoyment of the series much.

Production stuff that goes into spoiler territory:

Mostly, I enjoyed the meta-commentary that comes with the show's premise and its pointed use of the Volume tech to simulate so many different environments, light the stage realistically, and give the actors something concrete to look at instead of a greenscreen. Literally everything in the show feels like a wink and a nudge towards their use of the Volume--characters peeling back panels to reveal wiring or metal sheets, going around in circles in corridors that don't lead anywhere, or (when it dawned on me personally) when Maura chucks the gun and cracks a glass panel where there should just be air. I never stopped chuckling at people crawling out of holes in the air and grabbing the sides of them on their way out. It honestly made me wonder if they actually achieved those shots practically with the Volume screens with a hole in the center.

It's not the most original idea out there but considering the actual production process as a part of the overall package rather than just a means to an end made me enjoy the whole thing a lot more.

Yeah, this is what I was alluding to earlier re: Volume. It's certainly the best use of the technology I've seen so far, the way it mixes the flatness of the image (despite the apparent depth) and the tactility of the SFX projections to create some very cool images. I really loved all of that.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cythereal posted:

I've finished episode six and am feeling pretty underwhelmed. I feel like the episodes have gotten rather formulaic, and the only actors who I feel have any chemistry are Tove and Clemence who aren't even supposed to be more than acquaintances.

Oh man, I thought the Spanish dude and the Amish kid had scorching chemistry.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I find the simulation reveal to be a little more interesting than it seems tbh, because I've been trying to work out the implications for all the various flashbacks. I suspect they're all rooted in some sort of truth, even if none of them literally happened the way we saw them. What kind of war is everyone reacting to? What actually happened with Ling Yi and the woman she replaced? What's up with the recurring box motif? etc. etc.

This is what I mean by being frustrated by only getting part of the story; I think what we're seeing is, essentially, the truth, except fractally displaced via dream logic. e.g. the way that Jung's Scarab is also a bug in the computer code. If we'd got at least one of these side stories expounded on in this way, towards the end of the season, I think, would alleviate the feeling that this series hasn't really been about anything.

What I'm saying is that I think this show really needed some sort of indication of what its second act is about on a broader, structural level.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I guess the question now is, will Netflix give them the chance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Significantly more people.watch dubs than subs, right? Or is that just anime, I forget.