Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

Pet peeve but as a Danish person it really bugs me that all the danes just speak modern Copenhagen Danish. I assume the same goes for all the other languages, but it specifically stood out to me when the pregnant lady said "loving" even though it's supposed to be 1899 and she doesn't speak English. At least the names are era-appropriate.
What if it's actually set in the present? It's pretty clear that all the characters can also understand each other all the time regardless of what language is being spoken even though that obviously makes no sense in the supposed setting, so this seems very intentional.

My totally wild guess about what's happening:

Maura is a neuroscientist who created some sort of neuralink-type device that is either intended to keep people's in comas in some sort of simulation, a process for treating traumas, or as some process for editing memories.

Possibly multiple real people are connected together, but the minor characters are not real.

It's a "simulation" but not like a 3d programmed environment, it's more like the collective unconscious of the people in the simulation and can be affected by their memories, etc.

The puzzle devices and quantum computer aren't representations of actual "code" in the simulation that can be modified but are just a sort of metaphor because Maura knows she's in a simulation.

The show keeps talking about things like plato's cave and the beetle is apparently a thing from Jung, so I think the show is really more about psychology and the seemingly technological parts are trying to be intentionally misleading (to mislead the viewer into thinking it's a matrix-like simulation).

The different places through the passageways may be traumas that the different real people in the simulation experienced.

I think her "father" isn't real but just Maura herself (I can't remember the exact line but there's something about why her brother calls her "Henry" and I'm wondering if it was intended to mean that she's literally her "father").

The show implies that her son died and she somehow tried to do something to keep him alive but I'm not sure the son that we see is really that, or if it is some result of her memory of her son that she is trying to make herself forget.

The show seems to imply that there are multiple "runs" of the simulation that are the different ships in the 1899 world, but I think that's just a metaphorical representation, and so the 2099 world is just the same thing repeating.

mystes fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Personally I feel like this is a show that can't really be evaluated based on the first season alone. That's kind of obnoxious, but it either has to explain everything satisfactorily by the end of the second or third season or it's bad.

If you object to that kind of thing in principle and say that it's unreasonable to have an entire season that doesn't make sense until you watch subsequent seasons, that makes complete sense, but otherwise I don't think it makes that much sense to judge specific elements in too much detail based on the first season when their significance (hopefully) simply isn't clear yet.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Assuming the second season is still a simulation, I'm wondering if we're essentially just going to see the same stuff play out in different metaphorical ways in the second season but with more clues about whatever the reality is

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kin posted:

Just read that this was cancelled. I've had it on my backlog to watch though. Is it still worth watching even though it won't get resolved?
Definitely not, unfortunately, and I say this as someone who enjoyed it and was excited for the next season.

It was just too pure of a mystery box to stand on its own.

mystes
May 31, 2006

A bunch of things in season 1 of the OA annoyed me but season 2 was just so delightfully insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I mean, The OA didn't go anywhere else because it was loving insane and played all of its, "the audience is just watching this to see where it takes us" cards by the end of season 1. That was really a show that nailed a complete story in 1 season and never should have continued. It was a great meta narrative on how willing you were to suspend disbelief when being told a story, and needed to end with no clear answer on WTF the end meant, but Nope, they just decided to make that terrible second season and no one watched it.
I have said this multiple times before but the real problem is that people who liked the end to season 1 definitely wouldn't like season 2 and people who would like season 2 probably didn't bother to watch it because they hated the end of season 1

I disagree about season 2 but I say that as someone who hated the end to season 1

I also don't feel like the show was complete and they just pointlessly stretched it out, because despite being a somewhat surprising direction to go in that will piss people off who like intentionally ambiguous endings, season 2 actually makes a ton of sense and was clearly planned out because of how well it explains the seemingly contradictory/impossible stuff in season 1, and in retrospect it makes perfect sense that the thing that happened at the beginning of season 2 had already happened at the beginning of season 1.

It's also just took it in a really cool, interesting sci-fi/fantasy type direction that's pretty unusual for a tv show.

mystes fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 6, 2023