Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

1000 Sweaty Rikers posted:

the Martians were my favourite as a child

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_trSIBCgF0

e: drat it's still so good!

the design of the Martians im p sure is taken from the guy who does Telly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

ikanreed posted:

Dinosaurs was a solid comedy series.

It is a criminally underrated show. 100 percent worth a watch

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
I did a couples costume as the martians/yipyips. loving dominated the party. Everybody loves the muppets.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
The Muppets are where humankind peaked. Except the Martians, those made my cry as a child and still make me uncomfortable today and they should get their asses back to Mars.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

teen witch posted:

It is a criminally underrated show. 100 percent worth a watch

It could be a more scathing rebuke of American society.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Martians own wtf

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
http://sadkermit.com/

Muppets so good dude making edgy song covers as Kermit own and are heartfelt n sad to listen to. (Rainbow Disconnection might even hit harder in the soul than this does. Creep is pretty good but it depends if Rock Band made the song too overplayed for you.)

Fraggle Rock was good as was Dinosaurs. Henson and his team did some fantastic stuff. Would we love Yoda if it wasn't for them? No. No we would not.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Also shout out to a legit bright spot on IG: muppethistory. A thousand times worth a follow. Like a warm hug.

beaviss
Dec 20, 2021

https://twitter.com/HistoryMuppet/status/1088485109211242503

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I will most likely be garbling this quote, so I'm sorry.

But one of the muppeteers said something about the filming of The Muppet Movie that went something like this:

"People are always amazed at the scene where we got Kermit to ride a bike. That was no big deal, we just put it on strings or whatever. But nobody ever talks about how, during the scene that has Kermit, Fozzie, Gonzo and Camilla in the car, that we managed to cram 4 muppeteers, the sound guy, the camera mena nd the rest of the crew into the car and still manage to perform to our best."

So as much joyful whimsy that The Muppets inspires in us all, let us not forget that the people performing them were working their arses off.

Related pictures:

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Someone mentioned Emmet Otter’s Jugband Christmas, that’s a favorite of mine too. There’s a good lesson in there about gracefully accepting defeat if you enter a battle of the bands contest and you end up outclassed by a bunch of rowdy snakes and weasels and their awesome band that’s like Funkedelic meets Hawkwind or some poo poo.

Here are some delightful outtakes from that movie if no one has seen this

https://youtu.be/GduZhqftUn8

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I hated the Muppets and Muppet Babies as a kid because pigs were my favorite animal, and Miss Piggy was just so horrible to Kermit, I had a hard time watching the show. Add to that any Muppet toy I got was always her because she was the most easy to find, and I loved plush piggies, and there was nothing at all funny or nice about her!

I loving loved Dinosaurs.

The fact the Dark Crystal series only got one season led me to cancel my Netflix sub, only getting it back for one screen since my mom wanted to watch some shows on it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Muppet Babies was indeed great and also the only place allowed to use Star Wars clips on TV for many years!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Cowslips Warren posted:

I hated the Muppets and Muppet Babies as a kid because pigs were my favorite animal, and Miss Piggy was just so horrible to Kermit, I had a hard time watching the show. Add to that any Muppet toy I got was always her because she was the most easy to find, and I loved plush piggies, and there was nothing at all funny or nice about her!

I loving loved Dinosaurs.

The fact the Dark Crystal series only got one season led me to cancel my Netflix sub, only getting it back for one screen since my mom wanted to watch some shows on it.

Pigs can eventually turn into bacon, which is the fate that Miss Piggy suffered

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
The problem with Muppet Babies is it glorified Gonzo as an incel who (since it is a prequel and suffers for it) grows up into a Hugh Hefner-like figure. It also normalizes fairly static lifelong relationships, which is also incredibly toxic.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

2nd Amendment posted:

The problem with Muppet Babies is it glorified Gonzo as an incel who (since it is a prequel and suffers for it) grows up into a Hugh Hefner-like figure. It also normalizes fairly static lifelong relationships, which is also incredibly toxic.

Are you loving serious

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
I feel like there are two different kinds of Muppet fans: those who really appreciate the deeper lore and those who just watch felt things being silly. I'm telling you that I appreciate the Muppets on a much deeper level than you do.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

2nd Amendment posted:

I feel like there are two different kinds of Muppet fans: those who really appreciate the deeper lore and those who just watch felt things being silly. I'm telling you that I appreciate the Muppets on a much deeper level than you do.

Muppet Babies normalizing toxic relationships was the hot take this thread needed, so I'm grateful for your service!

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Did nanny’s knee-high green striped socks open the door to millions of young mens’ stockings fetish?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
:wal: The Muppets always brings back such happy memories
:stat: Yeah, the ones from before they made this awful show

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

A Strange Aeon posted:

Are you loving serious

No they aren't

It's a shitpost mimicking an article

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Spinz posted:

No they aren't

It's a shitpost mimicking an article

I'm sure they're full of poo poo but I also don't doubt that they think they have a deeper grasp on Muppets than most of us.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Szyznyk posted:

Did nanny’s knee-high green striped socks open the door to millions of young mens’ stockings fetish?

I always liked that as a representation of how kids see adults, kinda like the blah blah blah way that the teachers talk in the Peanuts cartoons.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Remember when they tried a soft gritty reboot of The Muppets six or seven years ago on network TV, and the big story was that Kermit and Miss Piggy broke up and Kermit was seeing a different woman? Also, that it showed The Muppets drinking and smoking and lightly cursing?

The backlash from fans was so immense that the showrunner was shitcanned and new people were brought in to relaunch the show the way The Muppets were always portrayed, but it was canceled almost immediately after that.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Muppet Treasure Island was the peak of Western Civilization, specifically from the roll call scene to Cabin Fever

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
The DefunctTV series on Henson is pretty good, the playlist is here: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLplWWKocAfTYIGzH8eQ0x0kEQgoV9CpYm

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

You Are A Elf posted:

Remember when they tried a soft gritty reboot of The Muppets six or seven years ago on network TV, and the big story was that Kermit and Miss Piggy broke up and Kermit was seeing a different woman? Also, that it showed The Muppets drinking and smoking and lightly cursing?

The backlash from fans was so immense that the showrunner was shitcanned and new people were brought in to relaunch the show the way The Muppets were always portrayed, but it was canceled almost immediately after that.

No but holy poo poo what was it called or link please for the love of God

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

My only muppets memory is Prince going on the Muppet Show when he was going through that “artist formally known as prince” phase and used that symbol for his name. He walked up to the security guard muppet and handed him a picture of the symbol and said it was his name. Then the muppet pronounced it lol

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

You Are A Elf posted:

Are you talking about the one where they tried to make the humor like the Office or something and all the muppets were neurotic stress cases working on the set of Piggy’s talk show and low key trying to gently caress each other?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Ralph Hurley posted:

Are you talking about the one where they tried to make the humor like the Office or something and all the muppets were neurotic stress cases working on the set of Piggy’s talk show and low key trying to gently caress each other?

Yeah The Muppets. I thinks it’s all on Disney Plus now. It’s really fuckin bad.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
I like how that guy made a movie that was his self insert fanfic.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

2nd Amendment posted:

I like how that guy made a movie that was his self insert fanfic.

charles dickens???

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Spinz posted:

No but holy poo poo what was it called or link please for the love of God

Dunno why my mobile poo poo refuses to link anything, but the show was simply called the muppets. from 2015. Yep, lowercase title and with the period just like that. It was a 30 Rock style show with the cast working on a late night show with Miss Piggy as the host, and Kermit was seeing a younger and more slender pig that I think was an associate on the show or something.

It was real bad.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Lol slender pig

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Muppets Tonight was a better attempt but they seemingly killed off Scooter just to introduce a more vaguely ethnic Muppet in his place

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Also most people who watched Muppet Babies probably know this, but Skeeter was Howie Mandel doing the exact same voice as Bobby Generic

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Well, I liked the 2011 The Muppets movie. I thought it had some really funny and cute parts.

I'm also partial to the Tom Waits/Cookie Monster mashups

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5X4N2exOsU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbiioBFkD_Q

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Oh, and this is the best Kermit clip on Youtube, and I'll have words with anyone who disagrees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYIRO97dhII

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Extra row of tits posted:

Nothing muppet related has been any good since they discovered Elmo made money and all the education and all the variety went out the window.
The rise of Elmo is mostly a consequence of Seasme Workshop reacting to the audience becoming younger. Big Bird is the audience surrogate for six year olds, Elmo is the surrogate for three year olds. Going from a variety of skits to a longer single narrative was also because little kids can follow it better.

(Unfortunately, three year olds are much more annoying than six year olds, so Elmo sucks to watch as a parent)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Look I don't hate Muppets, I just think that puppets and manaquins are better off living with their own kind