Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021

lol this is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

This thread reminds me of the fact that the original ending theme of Sesame Street is pretty cool still. I Remember watching the show particularly so I could hear a part of the ending theme since I liked it so much. They never played it in its entirety so I only got to hear it in pieces. As a 3 year old it was a big deal to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K_SD2GWEHE

Also, the Canadian version in the early 80's had all kinds of clips of kids running through Toronto playgrounds and cityscapes. I so wanted to be them, playing around.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I love the muppets. The muppets are why I had such a permissive childhood, because Jim Henson destroyed an expensive coat of his mother’s that he made into one of his proto-muppets, and his mom didn’t punish him, and that informed my mother’s entire parenting style for decades.

Getting that out of the way, I don’t care for The Rainbow Connection. As a child, I felt like life couldn’t possibly that magical, sensuous, spiritual, or glorious, and adulthood has proven that. Most human beings only experience highs like Kermit/Jim Henson experienced during mushroom trips, which I am not at all denigrating. Beauty and profundity are just vanishingly rare, and they just get rarer as you get older. I mean, unless you do mushrooms a few times a year.

Sorry, feeling like a bit of a bummer, here’s two songs about everything being wonderful that I enjoyed after puberty and that only piss me off if I’m actively depressed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHWHPPHpAj8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3yCcXgbKrE

Satchmo was clearly stoned when he wrote it so it feels kind of like cheating but being stoned on muggles is still nice.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
Rainbow connection is all about longing for those moments. Beauty and profundity are rare but they exist and are achievable in life. Not just through drugs (though drugs are awesome) but also simply by living well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg0VTiL6YUE

Even sadness can be profound and silly.

2nd Amendment fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Aug 23, 2022

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

2nd Amendment posted:

Rainbow connection is all about longing for those moments. Beauty and profundity are rare but they exist and are achievable in life. Not just through drugs (though drugs are awesome) but also simply by living well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg0VTiL6YUE

Even sadness can be profound and silly.

Liar! I am the saddest person ever and it never gets me off, unless I start feeling Kermity and then oh god I can feel the sadness miss piggy save me with your hot self!

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
A dear friend of mine gets very weepy about Miss Piggy when he gets drunk and openly admits to having married her. As in, his wife is very much the Miss Piggy type and his sexuality was largely informed by Miss Piggy. We toast to Miss Piggy and life is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSE1Mtnnm4Y

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Getting that out of the way, I don’t care for The Rainbow Connection. As a child, I felt like life couldn’t possibly that magical, sensuous, spiritual, or glorious, and adulthood has proven that.
:psyduck:

This is like thinking Piano Man is about the joys of having a successful music career.

The lyrics and tone of Rainbow Connection are everything but the things you listed. It is about wanting those things, but being unable to feel them or have them because reality is not like in fairy tales.

The chorus saying that one day he'll find it can either be interpreted as him being hopeful or he is using verbal irony and deep down knows he won't find it. Or it could be a mantra he is compulsively repeating to himself as a defense against the bleakness of existence. But the lyrics in the verses make it pretty clear that it isn't truly hopeful.

The beauty of the song is that the subtext is that merely wanting these things has value and can give meaning, even if they will never be achieved. People get wistful and teary-eyed with this song because they, too, have hopes and dreams that they know deep down will never become reality, but those hopes and dreams have value in themselves.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Inferior Third Season posted:

:psyduck:

This is like thinking Piano Man is about the joys of having a successful music career.

The lyrics and tone of Rainbow Connection are everything but the things you listed. It is about wanting those things, but being unable to feel them or have them because reality is not like in fairy tales.

The chorus saying that one day he'll find it can either be interpreted as him being hopeful or he is using verbal irony and deep down knows he won't find it. Or it could be a mantra he is compulsively repeating to himself as a defense against the bleakness of existence. But the lyrics in the verses make it pretty clear that it isn't truly hopeful.

The beauty of the song is that the subtext is that merely wanting these things has value and can give meaning, even if they will never be achieved. People get wistful and teary-eyed with this song because they, too, have hopes and dreams that they know deep down will never become reality, but those hopes and dreams have value in themselves.

It’s just, there are no moments like that at all, nothing even comes close to that without booze, acid, and speed involved. People don’t ever feel that way, except maybe when they’re having hypomanic episodes, or they’re in love. Maybe some people feel that way other times and I just need to find my own rainbow connection.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Nigmaetcetera posted:

It’s just, there are no moments like that at all, nothing even comes close to that without booze, acid, and speed involved. People don’t ever feel that way, except maybe when they’re having hypomanic episodes, or they’re in love. Maybe some people feel that way other times and I just need to find my own rainbow connection.
He is singing about the disconnect between reality and an idealized fantasy of how things might be. The rainbow connection is the bridge between these things.

You're free to think that the idealized fantasy is some state of bliss or pure childlike wonder or whatever, but that is not how I interpret it. To me, it is more like me, a 39-year-old who can barely skate, skimming through the sports section, and thinking about playing in the NHL. Or Kermit sitting in a swamp and wanting the glamour of Hollywood stardom. And even if these things miraculously came to be, my life in the NHL would mostly be practice and traveling, with very little of me making the overtime shot in Game 7. And Kermit's life in Hollywood would similarly be far more mundane most of the time than he fantasizes about - well, as mundane as muppet life will allow.

But rainbows are beautiful even if they are merely illusions and you can't touch them or go over them or find the other side. Life is far more bleak if there were no rainbows or indulging ourselves in imagining what's on the other side of them, knowing full well that it is nothing.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Inferior Third Season posted:

He is singing about the disconnect between reality and an idealized fantasy of how things might be. The rainbow connection is the bridge between these things.

You're free to think that the idealized fantasy is some state of bliss or pure childlike wonder or whatever, but that is not how I interpret it. To me, it is more like me, a 39-year-old who can barely skate, skimming through the sports section, and thinking about playing in the NHL. Or Kermit sitting in a swamp and wanting the glamour of Hollywood stardom. And even if these things miraculously came to be, my life in the NHL would mostly be practice and traveling, with very little of me making the overtime shot in Game 7. And Kermit's life in Hollywood would similarly be far more mundane most of the time than he fantasizes about - well, as mundane as muppet life will allow.

But rainbows are beautiful even if they are merely illusions and you can't touch them or go over them or find the other side. Life is far more bleak if there were no rainbows or indulging ourselves in imagining what's on the other side of them, knowing full well that it is nothing.

I’ve felt it though, that thing Kermit was imagining, it’s real, and it connects us all, it’s just so absurdly elusive as to be beyond pursuit through any rational or traditional means.

Never mind.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I’ve felt it though, that thing Kermit was imagining, it’s real, and it connects us all, it’s just so absurdly elusive as to be beyond pursuit through any rational or traditional means.

Never mind.

From muppets to severe mental illness crying for help, this thread has it all!!

It's good that muppets can tie it all together imo.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

satanic splash-back posted:

From muppets to severe mental illness crying for help, this thread has it all!!

It's good that muppets can tie it all together imo.

Come on, can’t a man get drunk and read about the collective unconscious and play with some new ideas he’ll quickly discard without getting labeled crazy? I’m not being literal.

Also the doozers were the coolest puppets ever, I’d pay a grand for one with any degree of motion. I mean, if I were in the position to waste a grand.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

mupp you if you don't like the fuckets

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I like defunctland's documentary series on Jim Henson

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLplWWKocAfTYIGzH8eQ0x0kEQgoV9CpYm

The muppets are cool and good

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nigmaetcetera posted:

This just sounds like clinical depression talking, frankly. And being in love is a pretty
goddamn big deal and not exactly vanishingly rare as to be not worth pursuing.

I don't think Kermit is remotely talking about drug trips or one in a million irrational dreams. The whole movie is quite literally about the journey being worth it and, cliche as it now is, the friends he made along the way.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
I don't believe anyone has ever felt anything other than sadness, anger and hate. Everyone else are just pretending to feel other things.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

The Bloop posted:

This just sounds like clinical depression talking, frankly. And being in love is a pretty
goddamn big deal and not exactly vanishingly rare as to be not worth pursuing.

I don't think Kermit is remotely talking about drug trips or one in a million irrational dreams. The whole movie is quite literally about the journey being worth it and, cliche as it now is, the friends he made along the way.

Yeah Kermit is a square.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

LordArgh posted:

I don't believe anyone has ever felt anything other than sadness, anger and hate. Everyone else are just pretending to feel other things.

You’re wrong we feel anxiety, helplessness, and dread also.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Five pages and the grooviest Muppet funk hasn't been posted yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN5Mqr6tRlw

IWatch Hugga Wugga and you will be grooving to it all day wether you want to or not.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
I am sad that you had to learn it here but your brain is horribly broken. I'm not normally one to suggest going "full Karen" but you need to go where you got it and demand a replacement. Do not leave until they give it to you.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

2nd Amendment posted:

I am sad that you had to learn it here but your brain is horribly broken. I'm not normally one to suggest going "full Karen" but you need to go where you got it and demand a replacement. Do not leave until they give it to you.

lol

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

tbh I'd be discerning, too, like if they hand you cold french fries same as last time don't be afraid to vault across the counter and program the deep fryer yourself

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Never mind.

Buddhism threads over in ask/tell buddy.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I'm pretty sure Kermit got addicted to benzos and became a weird far right pundit

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Yes but what if I want to gently caress a muppet?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

MEIN RAVEN posted:

The only muppet anyone should ever want to gently caress is the dude that throws the boomerang fish.

No, I will not be taking any further questions about this.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxFF3RzieIU

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
Given that Kermit is basically Jim Henson, I'm confident he did a looooot of drugs while still being a professional.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MEIN RAVEN posted:

It is acceptable to get a handy from the Swedish Chef

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
New love is the best drug

Nothing comes close

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

2nd Amendment posted:

Given that Kermit is basically Jim Henson, I'm confident he did a looooot of drugs while still being a professional.

Hugga Wugga

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

2nd Amendment posted:

Henson was a workaholic and a devout Christian. Probably had no time or interest in psychedelics. Guy just wanted to work with puppetry and tv all day and all night.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

axolotl farmer posted:

Henson was a workaholic and a devout Christian. Probably had no time or interest in psychedelics. Guy just wanted to work with puppetry and tv all day and all night.

No, he was a workaholic who left a cult he had been raised in. And his work was puppetry in theater. The cult he left still had a hold on him so, for example, he didn't trust doctors. But that's also part-and-parcel with counterculture of the time so there is a feedback loop.

Dude definitely did a lot of drugs.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

There's just this tired trope that anyone who made weird och psychedelic art would have to have been on 'soo many drugs, man'. It's just wrong. For some people that stuff comes naturally. The guys in Monty Python didn't use other drugs than alcohol, Frank Zappa wasn't interested in drugs, Weird Al is a teetotaler and vegetarian.

There's an anectdote about Jim Henson trying LSD exactly once, and it had no effect on him.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
No, I think it's that anyone that involved in the counterculture would be doing drugs.

That anecdote is absolutely a joke on the level of Clinton's "I didn't inhale".

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

yiiiip yip yipyipyipyip

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
How have y'all not posted the Swedish Chef making popcorn shrimp?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvDvTnTGjgQ

vortmax fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 5, 2022

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Canuckistan posted:

Hugga Wugga

you are my sunshine

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Bea Nanner posted:

pop culture has never recovered from jim henson's death

Toxic Mental posted:

Jim Henson was one of the most altruistic people ever and ruled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Mooey Cow posted:

The only good muppet is the cookie monster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWac5UT80no

Adam likes cookie monster as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1tOX_TOuUc