Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
I need to watch more of this but it's pretty good in an older anime kind of way. Maybe someday read the manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Monolith. posted:

I need to watch more of this but it's pretty good in an older anime kind of way. Maybe someday read the manga.

The anime starts veering away from the manga starting at episode 21, and I recommend switching to the manga at that point. The anime original stuff is really bad. The only issue is that its really hard to keep track of characters in the manga because they all look nearly identical aside from their hairstyle.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Speaking of old anime that once commanded acclaim only to be forgotten, what is the community opinion on Scryed? I saw it won AOTY in 2001 (according to 2ch/5ch?) but I've never heard anything about it, which is weird because a number of other highly-acclaimed anime from that period are still talked about to this day.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the animation is sort of bad for the most part, but the voice acting makes it transcendent. i rewatch it every few years.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Malsangoroth posted:

Speaking of old anime that once commanded acclaim only to be forgotten, what is the community opinion on Scryed? I saw it won AOTY in 2001 (according to 2ch/5ch?) but I've never heard anything about it, which is weird because a number of other highly-acclaimed anime from that period are still talked about to this day.

i just finished this one a couple days ago and it was good! has some interesting ideas about shonen-style rivalries and the final episode was tremendous.

AOTY in 2001 doesn't mean a whole lot though if you look at the list of tv anime that ended that year, its competition is like...noir and the old fruits basket anime? like all the big shows you'd think of from that era are in 2002

MagicAlex
Jan 6, 2007

I miss Bodacious Space Pirates. I wish people still talked about it, I wish there was another season, and I wish it was still available to stream on Crunchyroll.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

MagicAlex posted:

I miss Bodacious Space Pirates. I wish people still talked about it, I wish there was another season, and I wish it was still available to stream on Crunchyroll.

Well thanks to this, I'm going to resume watching. I got like 3/4 episodes in, but got distracted by new season shows, it's been languishing on my "watching" list for a while. :razzy:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bodacious space pirates had a very very bad movie that seems to have killed most of the good will for the series

Tales of Woe posted:

i just finished this one a couple days ago and it was good! has some interesting ideas about shonen-style rivalries and the final episode was tremendous.

AOTY in 2001 doesn't mean a whole lot though if you look at the list of tv anime that ended that year, its competition is like...noir and the old fruits basket anime? like all the big shows you'd think of from that era are in 2002

scryed has some cheap animation in spots but it honestly looks nicer than people give it credit for in others. it also has a really great cast and a pretty good exploration of the shonen rival dynamic, and at 26 episodes it has enough room to breathe but gets in and out before it wears out its welcome. its the definition of an anime in the 7/10-8/10 range imo, not mindblowing but very solid with a few neat ideas.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

scryed has a character named straight cougar, and he basically steals the entire show

Endorph fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Aug 22, 2022

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Endorph posted:

shin jeeg owns

Hell yeah, Shin Jeeg.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

My buddy had shown me Legend of Koizumi ages ago and I loved it. It's a crime it only ever got 3 episodes and it's nowhere easy to find. I think I found a random clip on YouTube and that was about it.

Seriously, world leaders playing Mahjong like it's YuGiOh to solve political problems is an excellent and hilarious idea.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

There’s a whole manga to read

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Every so often I come in here to see if there's a thread on a show I like. There generally isn't so I assume it's not popular among goons and leave. My most recentish example is no one seem to talk about Takahashi's stuff post Inuyasha, and while I thought Rin-ne sucked, I'm all in on Mao even though it's mostly a remix of her particular cliches.

And old anime wise I loved the poo poo out of Ghost Sweeper Mikami, but fully recognize it too is early 90s comedy comfort food and there's probably a reason Toei put it up for free on their YouTube channel. Still had a neat little two episode time travel arc.

It goes with out saying too that Kenny Lauderdale's YouTube channel is like crack to me. God, I love his dives into the obscure and old series.

Edit: Forgot to state my point that yeah no one talks about old series because they are old, and most of them barely made it to the west. Which is a shame, but what can you do?

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 22, 2022

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
radio city fantasy is an 80s music video ova with in between scenes written by up and coming writer takeshi shudo exploring the relationship between a young artist who sees wonder and mystery in the world around him and a realist young woman who smokes

takeshi shudo would go on to write much of the early pokemon anime and also dancouga nova, a 2007 mecha anime starring a hotblooded lesbian race car driver who nearly bangs the team's lonely bisexual mechanic. dancouga nova was cut short to 12 episodes despite having a clearly longer story planned out so it abruptly ends with one of the greatest conclusions to a low budget mecha anime ever created

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 22, 2022

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
I think deciding that you like something only if other people like it is insane, OP.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Turbinosamente posted:

Every so often I come in here to see if there's a thread on a show I like. There generally isn't so I assume it's not popular among goons and leave. My most recentish example is no one seem to talk about Takahashi's stuff post Inuyasha, and while I thought Rin-ne sucked, I'm all in on Mao even though it's mostly a remix of her particular cliches.

And old anime wise I loved the poo poo out of Ghost Sweeper Mikami, but fully recognize it too is early 90s comedy comfort food and there's probably a reason Toei put it up for free on their YouTube channel. Still had a neat little two episode time travel arc.

It goes with out saying too that Kenny Lauderdale's YouTube channel is like crack to me. God, I love his dives into the obscure and old series.

Edit: Forgot to state my point that yeah no one talks about old series because they are old, and most of them barely made it to the west. Which is a shame, but what can you do?

You can always make a thread about whatever Hyper specific series you want to discuss or talk about or gush over, worst case it doesn't get much discussion but convinces a couple of people to check it out, best case you get a bunch of conversations about various aspects and tangential topics going while also convincing people to check it out.

A more recent example would be the Ranma 1/2 thread, and there was a similar thing with an anti goblin Slayer joke thread the just became a thread about beloved classic Slayers.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Turbinosamente posted:

You could make a thread

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Lamebot posted:

I think deciding that you like something only if other people like it is insane, OP.

I’m pretty sure the point is about being mad that a work you personally think is the tits doesn’t get the appreciation it deserves over some lame show you don’t like.
Like I loved Book of Bantora, but literally no one but me ever watched it and it’s completely forgotten while crap like [your favorite anime] sells millions.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

galagazombie posted:

I’m pretty sure the point is about being mad that a work you personally think is the tits doesn’t get the appreciation it deserves over some lame show you don’t like.
Like I loved Book of Bantora, but literally no one but me ever watched it and it’s completely forgotten while crap like [your favorite anime] sells millions.

[your favorite anime] isn't crap. I mean, it's not as good as the director's previous work, [pretentious and obscure anime original] but it has some pretty fun scenes with [primary love interest] and [controversial protagonist] has some personality to him, unlike what you'd expect from his archetype.

I just wish we got more time with [comedy side character]. She had some real potential, you know?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I had considered a thread, but I am pretty terrible at writing OPs. I am also a terrible Takahashi fan.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Turbinosamente posted:

I had considered a thread, but I am pretty terrible at writing OPs. I am also a terrible Takahashi fan.

Speaking from experience?

Just go for it.

Take some other random thread as a baseline example for the OP, replace the words that don't fit, toss in some pictures from the official website or a fanpage if there's nothing else, and then edit when people point out problems.

It's easier than it looks.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Turbinosamente posted:

I use the chat thread op and it's often lead to a nice short discussion

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

chiasaur11 posted:

Speaking from experience?

Just go for it.

Take some other random thread as a baseline example for the OP, replace the words that don't fit, toss in some pictures from the official website or a fanpage if there's nothing else, and then edit when people point out problems.

It's easier than it looks.

Oh yeah, I've had some failed threads. Perhaps later I might try again and open the Takahashi Appreciation Station. Until then I could complain about Black Lagoon in the chat thread lol.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 26 days!)

so you guys are saying claymore is well liked

well poo poo

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Meme Poker Party posted:

I watched Claymore and I thought it was cool, OP.

Some cool things about Claymore:

* Sick rear end violence.

* Badass women who aren't sexualized.

* Randomly there are like three Claymores who are elves but like I don't think we ever see any elves that aren't Claymores, it seems to just be a world of humans and monsters, so it's not clear if there are elves elsewhere in the world or if elf ears are a potential side effect of the Claymore-ization process, and no character ever mentions anything about elves and the elf Claymores never say anything that would indicate an elf background or that they are anything but human so really I'm not sure if they are actually elves or not.

* Has a lamia.

* Basically witchers before anyone knew or cared about witchers.

* Actually made a dark setting without it being either hokey or too over the top.

* Seriously those ladies are just cool

gently caress yeah

knew i liked you

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

please rename this the claymore thread or i swear, i will make one

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

roomtone posted:

Make one

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

roomtone posted:

Don't worry, OP. Changing thread titles is a simple task. Any mod can do it.

Oh no!

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

Meme Poker Party posted:

Don't worry, OP. Changing thread titles is a simple task. Any mod can do it.

Oh no!

Ironically I find myself hanging out ADRW the most since it seems to (lately) need the least amount of mod intervention out of all the subforums

Off-topic: Just started watching Nana and god-drat it's good. Definetly another classic that doesn't get enough love; I've forgotten how much more space old shows have to just let characters develop, instead of the speedrun-esque style approach that most modern one season shows take nowadays.

On-topic: make the thread OP.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
It does suck when you finish a series and the cultural conversation has moved on/never started. I’m very sympathetic to that.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

thetoughestbean posted:

It does suck when you finish a series and the cultural conversation has moved on/never started. I’m very sympathetic to that.

Me watching The Future Diary in 2020.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

thetoughestbean posted:

Me watching and rewatching Assassination Classroom.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I try to get people to watch Read Or Die and ROD The TV (the dub for the latter in particular because it's great), but no takers. It was the first OVA and series I bought, with my high school part time job money back in the DVD days, and I still throw the CDs for the OST in my car from time to time.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

chumbler posted:

I try to get people to watch Read Or Die and ROD The TV (the dub for the latter in particular because it's great), but no takers. It was the first OVA and series I bought, with my high school part time job money back in the DVD days, and I still throw the CDs for the OST in my car from time to time.

aw poo poo I need to go back and watch that. I really dug it, though I never finished the TV or managed to catch all of the OVA

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

OAV and TV are really good, though TY is very much a different type of good than the ROD OAV. Shame about the actual light novels and the Read of Die manga being bleah and the attempted relaunch of the manga being just super bad

GloriousDemon
May 1, 2009
Sometimes good anime just falls out of syndication and only exists as dead media.

My favorite anime was Katanagatari and it just doesn't exist on any streaming landscape so I'll never speak to anyone in the wild about it ever.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The age of high effort thread ops died with zorak just say what a show is, a brief bit about what it’s about and maybe why you like it. Even I have made threads before.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

GloriousDemon posted:

My favorite anime was Katanagatari and it just doesn't exist on any streaming landscape so I'll never speak to anyone in the wild about it ever.

Just tell people it's a standalone series by the monogatari author. That'll get people to bite.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

GloriousDemon posted:

Sometimes good anime just falls out of syndication and only exists as dead media.

I still think about the super epic fight tease that you never get to see that they kept from the novels and chuckle. also the weird but cutesy designs and the animal themed ninjas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
imo just because an anime is lesser known doesn't mean that it is insane to