Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Bad Purchase posted:

op's argument in shambles, android users punching air

Nom epique thread is leaking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaelis
Dec 29, 2019

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

I've had both androids and iphones at different times and they're all poo poo. gently caress smartphones, I hate them all because now that they're ubiquitous I'm expected to be able to be contacted at any time or place.

Seriously, imagine liking and being happy about your smartphone. It's not 2010 anymore they're now a nuisance more than anything

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I’ve used an iPhone. They are fine

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

I switched from iphone to android because of the how awful itunes is, agreed OP

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Tiberius Christ posted:

I switched from iphone to android because of the how awful itunes is, agreed OP

same in general for the apple "ecosystem" but op is definietly a frail old man who is shouiting at the kids whomst he uploaded the music for onto their phone because he is obstinate due to advanced age

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

The iPhone sucks poo poo and has since day 1 but also lmao at giving the slightest gently caress about what slab of plastic and glass people choose to use

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
remember when they made the ipod come with the new U2 album already on it lol fuckiung crapple amiright :rolleyes:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Nooner posted:

remember when they made the ipod come with the new U2 album already on it lol fuckiung crapple amiright :rolleyes:

lol people were hella mad

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I strongly disliked my Pixel 4XL, so I decided to give iPhone a try. Used an iPhone 12 for about a year and a half before going back to Android. It was fine.

iPhone had much better battery life than any Android I have used, and FaceTime was nice.
But I stil prefer Android's way of handling cached audio apps, notifications, and some other quality of life stuff. Also, I will always prefer a fingerprint reader over face unlock, but I think I might be the weirdo on that one.

Anyways, that's my lazy review. Not enough differences between them worth getting worked up about.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
It wasn't just an ipod, they pushed the U2 album to every device with iTunes on it and then you couldn't delete it, as part of a marketing gimmick to do the 'largest album release of all time'. They only added the option to delete it a week later after everyone was super pissed lol

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

They're just phones. But the hardcore android guys are definitely a uh certain kind of person and if you don't what know I mean I'm probably talking about you.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I just use flip phones that I buy from gas stations.

I can go to the library if I need to use the internet.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

LuckyCat posted:

Imagine reading this thread from 2022 and wondering why someone is lugging around folders of mp3s like it’s 2003 which they have to manually transfer instead of using one of the many available streaming services which provide instant access to every song known to man.

also this lol

Who the gently caress actually transfer mp3 files to their phone in 2022 hahaha

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

What song did you transfer, OP

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

I mean seriously. It sucks poo poo. Just super LOL at anyone who actively chooses an iphone over an android.

I just spent hours trying to get some music on an iphone. Without using itunes. Took a while and I eventually got the music on there. But the iphone music player couldn't see it.

I then spent less than 5 minutes doing the same thing on my android and it worked perfectly.

Iphone sucks poo poo.

:agreed: :yeah:Too right!

And anything manufactured by Apple is way too expensive.

And what about Apple's (getting) infamous lack of servicability in their newer devices? The anti-competitive filthy swine now include serial numbers in the firmware of most parts (e.g. LCD screens), and by design the phone/pad firmware refuses to let anyone except Apple-trained Apple-verified service outlets ( who charge $$$$$$$$$$$$$$) replace parts even with the exactsame model Apple parts, because service personnel now must use a special servicing device manufactured by loving Apple costing $$$$$$$$$$ which 'allows" part replacement.

That's loving criminal, or should be (it's actually prompting new serviceability regulations in some U.S. states!) so I hope they go out of business as quickky as is reasonably possible, the slimy cheating profiteering environmentally destructive loving scumbags.

But to be fair, noobs with too much money who don't have what it takes to read a manual, experiment with their device a bit, or occasionally google how to do stuff on an Android phone/pad can probably only deal with iPads and iPhones etc., so I don't resent those sad seriously tech-challenged types (much). But they probably deserve all the reaming Apple Corp. will continue to give them.

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 22, 2022

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

I tip a maximum of 10% going in from Apple Pay. Each infraction earns the hapless worker a 2% deduction. They are warned.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
i phone means "information phone" :eng101:

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
OP I hope you got your Gene Autry.mp3s transferred safely.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
More like CRAPPLE

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Michaelis posted:

Seriously, imagine liking and being happy about your smartphone. It's not 2010 anymore they're now a nuisance more than anything

my phone is a helpful and entertaining device that rarely bothers me because i turn off notifications outside work hours and for calls from unknown numbers. not really sure what you think is a nuisance on your phone but you could try deleting or silencing it instead of letting it eat away at you until we get yet another green bubble linked mass shooting.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

My last journey with android, I liked the OS a lot, but every app seemed to be a less polished version of iOS, so I just gave up and stuck with my iphone. I dunno, they're overpriced and all that, but it takes nice pictures and does everything I need it to. I'm trying to spend less time on my phone anyways, to varying degrees of success.

I guess what I'm saying OP is get outside, go on a hike, and stop worry about which corporation you're more loyal to.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Michaelis posted:

Lol this is only true if you get the low tier free phones

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I wish they'd bring back the old Blackberry keypads. I knew people who could bang out entire paragraphs in a minute on those things.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
If you think iphone is a piece of poo poo when it comes to transferring files, just wait till you try to actually publish apps on it. You literally cannot do it without a loving mac and the nonsense they call xcode, and it's a nightmare of certificates for every step and they always expired yesterday. And then you need the special uploading software and gotta have icons in 250 different resolutions, an endless stream of bullshit

dot communist
Mar 28, 2005

Don't worry, I got your back, op. It's you and me against the world.

I had an iPod Nano and an iPhone 5 back in the day, and it absolutely sucked trying to sync my meticulously curated mp3 collection with buggy as gently caress iTunes on a Windows machine. Switched to a Cowon player and an Android phone and never had any trouble with it.

The Real Amethyst posted:

Apple users are in the same boat as Tesla fanboys in my eyes.

This. If you're making a mass market product "for everyone" and can't be hosed to adopt cross-platform standards then eat poo poo.

It's a money-grubbing con game run by control freaks trying to corral you into their walled garden in order to extract more cash. The result is a neverending, pissy slapfight perpetuated by the poor saps who fell for the grift, and who can't help but white knight for the company that bamboozled them in an attempt to save face.

This is what Zuck has been doing with Facebook and is trying to build with Meta, so add him to the list. We already have VR and online/VR communities, but he's walling off a section for himself so he can hook the milking machine up to your big, squishy teats. He's just not as good at the grift as Steve Jobs, Tim Apple, or Elon Musk.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I miss my Windows Phone :smith: If only there were more app support...

edit: I have an Android now though, there are so many phone options that way

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

pretty sure samsung is the most tesla-like phone company given their history of battery fires

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

I miss flipphones because once you were done making slick deals you could snap them in half like saul goodman

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

find an old iphone 6 plus, you can probably snap those in half pretty easily

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Waffle House posted:

*sits down, sweating, overwhelmed in jedi robes*

I just felt a tremor in the force, like it's 2008 all over again, and nerds think they are fighting a zeitgeist by having a really normal one sticking it to other posters with 15 year old complaints that a decade and a half proved to not really matter whatsoever

I don't know how I, a user of an iPhone, will ever recover from this

Honestly it's more impressive apple hasn't fixed this in 15 years. The complaint is as valid as it's ever been. I have a large digital collection of music and it's surprisingly annoying getting access to it on an iphone. I've previously only had android but a couple years ago when my wife was getting a new phone (she likes apple stuff so it sort of makes sense for her to use their phone cause it convenient syncs with everything else she has) they had a bogo deal so it's like sure why not I'll take a free thousand dollar phone to see what the hype is about.

I've basically spent 3 years regretting that decision. I mean a lot of the day to day functionality is fine but whenever I want to do something niche like say, connect my phone to a computer and be able to move files back and forth normally and you just can't for some reason it boggles my mind. I remember one time many moons ago my pc poo poo itself and in the process of fixing it by wiping everything and doing a fresh install I had to update drivers for it's ethernet card, but obviously I couldn't get the drivers on the computer because it couldn't connect to the internet until the drivers were updated, my solution was to just download the drivers on my phone then transfer the files from my phone to my computer that way, couldn't do that now, whoops.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Toxic Mental posted:

also this lol

Who the gently caress actually transfer mp3 files to their phone in 2022 hahaha
I know a lot of goons don't leave their house but this is a bit on the nose even for these forums. If you travel at all for business or pleasure you'll often find yourself without internet access in a situation, such as a long drive, where music might be nice.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

ArbitraryC posted:

Honestly it's more impressive apple hasn't fixed this in 15 years. The complaint is as valid as it's ever been. I have a large digital collection of music and it's surprisingly annoying getting access to it on an iphone. I've previously only had android but a couple years ago when my wife was getting a new phone (she likes apple stuff so it sort of makes sense for her to use their phone cause it convenient syncs with everything else she has) they had a bogo deal so it's like sure why not I'll take a free thousand dollar phone to see what the hype is about.

I've basically spent 3 years regretting that decision. I mean a lot of the day to day functionality is fine but whenever I want to do something niche like say, connect my phone to a computer and be able to move files back and forth normally and you just can't for some reason it boggles my mind. I remember one time many moons ago my pc poo poo itself and in the process of fixing it by wiping everything and doing a fresh install I had to update drivers for it's ethernet card, but obviously I couldn't get the drivers on the computer because it couldn't connect to the internet until the drivers were updated, my solution was to just download the drivers on my phone then transfer the files from my phone to my computer that way, couldn't do that now, whoops.

I just use a thumb drive.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Waffle House posted:

I just use a thumb drive.

Your thumb drive can connect to the internet and download files to itself?

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Imagine bragging about using an android phone with an OS developed by an advertising company for the sole purpose of user surveillance.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

ArbitraryC posted:

I know a lot of goons don't leave their house but this is a bit on the nose even for these forums. If you travel at all for business or pleasure you'll often find yourself without internet access in a situation, such as a long drive, where music might be nice.

Another thing you can do in 2022 is save your streaming playlist to your phone lol

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Imagine having strong opinions about the thing that steals your life and makes you dumber everyday.

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer
Imagine simping for a phone's "openness" when you never rooted or side loaded anything because it's a loving phone that you can use to shitpost.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Rad-daddio posted:

Imagine having strong opinions about the thing that steals your life and makes you dumber everyday.

you probably should have strong opinions about your kids, hopefully loving

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I make and receive calls on my telephone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

ArbitraryC posted:

Your thumb drive can connect to the internet and download files to itself?

Not whatsoever! And it sits in my old cd wallet for exactly the In Case of Emergencies reason you posted, untouched unless I need it. There are a variety of reasons I also would not use my cell phone for any size or scale of deployment.