Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

My friend once told me that people who own Apple products tend to have a penchant for sucking cock, and when I think about it... they've been right in my experience. Blessed be iPhoners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

god please help me posted:

Let's listen to an online radio service that uses up data and battery life, costs money, while also having ads in between songs! :)

this might shock you but all things you do on your phone use up data and battery life. wild poo poo, i know.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

itunes is free, op

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Wall Balls posted:

itunes is free, op

It also sucks.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It also sucks.

still free

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
if you like the album layout of itunes but don't want the bloat, use musicbee, it's lightweight and infinitely configurable and doesn't whip any llama rear end cause that would be animal abuse

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Wall Balls posted:

still free

So are the standard and open file transfer protocols built into every OS that could easily service this need - without the need to install proprietary software - if not for Apple's desire for a walled garden.

I don't care about the quality of the phones, iPhones and Android are both totally fine in that regard at the same price point. Android has some wins, iPhone has some wins, they both have their place.

It's more the walled garden approach that bothers me and the eschewing of standardised peripherals in order to instead create their own revenue channels that - aside from being customer-hostile - is also environmentally irresponsible.

I'm not bothered by iPhones so much as I'm bothered by Apple, and I'm bothered by Google too obviously but that's generally for other things they do as a company, rather than Android specifically which is innocuous really.

putin is a cunt fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Aug 23, 2022

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

All of this could have been avoided if the OP would have decided to just blast some tapes instead

No iTunes just some double a batteries

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I've had both and they both do the same thing :confused:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

putin is a oval office posted:

So are the standard and open file transfer protocols built into every OS that could easily service this need - without the need to install proprietary software - if not for Apple's desire for a walled garden.

I don't care about the quality of the phones, iPhones and Android are both totally fine in that regard at the same price point. Android has some wins, iPhone has some wins, they both have their place.

It's more the walled garden approach that bothers me and the eschewing of standardised peripherals in order to instead create their own revenue channels that - aside from being customer-hostile - is also environmentally irresponsible.

I'm not bothered by iPhones so much as I'm bothered by Apple, and I'm bothered by Google too obviously but that's generally for other things they do as a company, rather than Android specifically which is innocuous really.

:goonsay:

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Nah.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Yes

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

actualyl, lol if you,

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I got the iphone 3g waaay back when and then i tried to put my own ringtones/notifications on it, but you could only put on the pre-loaded ones. My apple friends told me this was actually better because it was more secure, what if I uploaded a ringtone virus. Every single other phone had been allowing you to do this feature for the last 10-15 years.
I had a pile of mp3s I put on the phone using itunes. A few months later, I had got a new computer and I wanted to add 1 single song. It wouldn't let me add a song, it would only allow me to "sync" which meant deleting every song off my phone so it could add the 1. Every single mp3 player on the market allowed you to just drag and drop.
I tried connecting to stuff using the phone's bluetooth. It would only allow me to connect to an audio device. Every single other phone with bluetooth allowed you to data transfer

I'm sure things have changed since 2012 or whatever, but it never sat right that they'd just purposefully hobble the functionality of their own devices.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Ackshually

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

iphones are great because whenever the bad with computers people need help with them I can just say, I dunno, I have android, take it to the apple store

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

The Fattest PI posted:

I got the iphone 3g waaay back when and then i tried to put my own ringtones/notifications on it, but you could only put on the pre-loaded ones. My apple friends told me this was actually better because it was more secure, what if I uploaded a ringtone virus. Every single other phone had been allowing you to do this feature for the last 10-15 years.
I had a pile of mp3s I put on the phone using itunes. A few months later, I had got a new computer and I wanted to add 1 single song. It wouldn't let me add a song, it would only allow me to "sync" which meant deleting every song off my phone so it could add the 1. Every single mp3 player on the market allowed you to just drag and drop.
I tried connecting to stuff using the phone's bluetooth. It would only allow me to connect to an audio device. Every single other phone with bluetooth allowed you to data transfer

I'm sure things have changed since 2012 or whatever, but it never sat right that they'd just purposefully hobble the functionality of their own devices.
iphone wouldn't let me put the john cena intro theme as my text alert :bahgawd:

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
People who unironically use itunes are probably also the people who liked quicktime. That is, their essence is such that the guillotine hungers for their blood.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

i bought an iphone at costco and also a watermelon

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

if you buy the little sachets of persian cucumbers, you have to eat them in like a day or they get soft anfd mouldy

i have a lot of good costco tips

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

poverty goat posted:

iphones are great because whenever the bad with computers people need help with them I can just say, I dunno, I have android, take it to the apple store

Very true.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I haven't transferred music to a device in a decade

remember when you used to be able to engrave an iPod with a message?

"trapped in ipod factory please send help!!"

hahahah!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Buce posted:

if you buy the little sachets of persian cucumbers, you have to eat them in like a day or they get soft anfd mouldy

i have a lot of good costco tips

any other sachet related tips, advisoruies, etc.?/

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I had a little ipod shuffle, and I used to wear it on the waist band of my shorts when I went running.

Overt time, that one spot on my waist developed some kind of damaged sebaceous gland and eventually emitted this weird little apple seed sized chunk of goop while I was in the gym locker room.

Some old guy(who was completely naked) came over and looked at the thing I'd just squeezed out of my body and said, "neato!"

This experience would not be possible without Steve Jobs.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I have a bunch of music on my phone because a lot of times I work in faraday cages where I have to airplane mode it anyway but still want to listen to music

I have to transfer that music to a SD card through a USB stick, though, because my USB-C port broke years ago, but thankfully my S8+ still had that feature. Not gonna fault them for that, though, I made a board for a couple years and a straight 6 month period of time was spent remaking solder screens with smaller apertures and poo poo to fix a bridging problem caused by the fact that the USB-C SMD part is extremely complex for its size (which is already extremely large for an SMD component). That is much less annoying than the fact that the only way to charge my phone for years has been wirelessly :mad:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
If your phone doesn't have at least 3 cameras I feel really sorry for you.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Chinatown posted:

get a load of ansel adams over here

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Ehud posted:

I haven't transferred music to a device in a decade

remember when you used to be able to engrave an iPod with a message?

"trapped in ipod factory please send help!!"

hahahah!

Mine said "Tunes before poons"

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Chinatown posted:

1 for the dick and 2 for the balz

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

CaptainSarcastic posted:

:actually: Getting rid of those things makes it easier to waterproof the phones and increase structural integrity. Well, not the internal storage limits - those do seem way more arbitrary - that is something that both Android and Apple are guilty of.

The iPhone Lightning port is loving stupid, though.
I'm not getting on your case specifically, but I have heard those exact same generic arguments repeated multiple times when the initial uproar happened a few years back when Apple and other companies started removing staple hardware features. The fanboys tried to act like it was a good thing, while everyone else thought it was dumb as hell. I don't buy these excuses because of how much they've assumed a "common sense" argument against consumer choice.

Waterproofing I can understand as a piss poor excuse, though nearly all flagship and mid-tier phones as of like 2017 were IP6X rated and had all sorts of holes in them. The main counter argument against phone companies would be: why should the few cases of phones getting wet trump the 99.9999% of times people are using their phone in a dry environment, etc., when phones were already rated up to 30-60 minutes in water immersion before removing jacks? If consumers were so worried, they would already have bought a basic case with silicone plugs to go with their IPXX phones. Otterbox people are a special breed of phone owner that will cover that thing in kevlar, carbon fiber, and bulletproof glass no matter what the phone is rated for. Workplaces that supply company phones often have phone case policies for this exact reason, even if they're all using the latest iPhones.

Increases in structural integrity I'm not buying, considering that phones have gotten thinner and thinner, and have been made of stupid poo poo like all-around glass, super bendy aluminum, and thinner plastic. Screens still shatter (which means they are no longer waterproof), and thin phones seem to break, bend, or crunch easier than in previous generations. I doubt a headphone jack plays a role in any of that. Wasn't the first iPhone to ditch the headphone jack also the one that would bend in a C-shape in people's pockets? lol

IMO, it's straight greed and nothing more. They save a dollar or so on each production unit and and charge $100 more in the market place, along with selling bluetooth headphones, proprietary USB dongles, storage cloud subscriptions, music streaming services, and so on. Phone companies aren't removing hardware for our benefit as if they were benevolent parents who had our best interests at heart.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

PITY BONER posted:

I'm not getting on your case specifically, but I have heard those exact same generic arguments repeated multiple times when the initial uproar happened a few years back when Apple and other companies started removing staple hardware features. The fanboys tried to act like it was a good thing, while everyone else thought it was dumb as hell. I don't buy these excuses because of how much they've assumed a "common sense" argument against consumer choice.

Waterproofing I can understand as a piss poor excuse, though nearly all flagship and mid-tier phones as of like 2017 were IP6X rated and had all sorts of holes in them. The main counter argument against phone companies would be: why should the few cases of phones getting wet trump the 99.9999% of times people are using their phone in a dry environment, etc., when phones were already rated up to 30-60 minutes in water immersion before removing jacks? If consumers were so worried, they would already have bought a basic case with silicone plugs to go with their IPXX phones. Otterbox people are a special breed of phone owner that will cover that thing in kevlar, carbon fiber, and bulletproof glass no matter what the phone is rated for. Workplaces that supply company phones often have phone case policies for this exact reason, even if they're all using the latest iPhones.

Increases in structural integrity I'm not buying, considering that phones have gotten thinner and thinner, and have been made of stupid poo poo like all-around glass, super bendy aluminum, and thinner plastic. Screens still shatter (which means they are no longer waterproof), and thin phones seem to break, bend, or crunch easier than in previous generations. I doubt a headphone jack plays a role in any of that. Wasn't the first iPhone to ditch the headphone jack also the one that would bend in a C-shape in people's pockets? lol

IMO, it's straight greed and nothing more. They save a dollar or so on each production unit and and charge $100 more in the market place, along with selling bluetooth headphones, proprietary USB dongles, storage cloud subscriptions, music streaming services, and so on. Phone companies aren't removing hardware for our benefit as if they were benevolent parents who had our best interests at heart.

I don't completely disagree with you, but I do think there is some merit to what I said, too. The last year or so I've spent way more time looking into phone hardware and did a lot of comparison shopping, and the last couple years of work-from-home have given me a lot more hands-on time with cellphone poo poo. I use Bluetooth headsets every day for work, began using wireless charging, and moved files around between different phones both using wires and wirelessly. The only thing that I have used the 3.5mm jack on my phones for is very rare cases where it was easier for me to record a voicemail to a computer by hooking up the phone that way, which is a bit of an edge case and really should be possible without having to kludge recording to an external device, but on consumer phone plans is not.

To get back closer to the topic at hand, I have found that Android handles Bluetooth way more reliably and predictably than iOS, at least in the last 6 months or so. Hell, even Windows 10 with a USB Bluetooth dongle handles Bluetooth more reliably and predictably than my iPhone this year. I'm not even talking about obscure or no-name hardware, either - I use a Plantronics headset for work that my work iPhone just decides it doesn't want to be connected to at random times during the day.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
iphones are a dumb waste of money like most phone and tech poo poo

pick up knitting, or maybe gardening

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I still squirt my zune every day

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

What is "goonsay" about not liking corporate over-reach exactly?

Fat Dan
Jul 10, 2022

HELLO
There's a simplicity about iPhone products that is intentionally created for unimaginative people.

There's only a few things that can be done and only one way to do each of them. If you dare to think outside of that box it just aggravating and lovely.

I think anyone who grew up with the early internet and choice and experimentation and tailoring things to your liking, will find that iPhone products suck.

99% of people don't need a phone device with the power of an iPhone and will never use its potential, they are paying a premium due to some kind of societal peer pressure.

They are seen as a status symbol to some extent that people susceptible to said peer pressure feel the need to buy in case their fellow employees or friends make fun of them for not having the latest iPhone.

A 2022 Nokia Androind One phone, as a random example, for half the cost will do twice as much because you can MAKE IT DO TWICE AS MUCH because you can tailor it to your wants and needs.

Fat Dan fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Aug 24, 2022

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
I will personally kill stebe jubs

for his crime

Of making a mouse with only one button!!!

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
As someone who sold phones for a while, Apple was generally better because you didn’t have people who would install bad apps and then get a billion viruses on their phone and expect you to fix it.

There’s a lot I do dislike about Apple, but the fact that you can’t just do whatever is actually a selling point to everybody that doesn’t post on these forums.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

trying to think of a single good modern device in my life and they all suck poo poo in some lol way

iPhone is a portal to online misery like every other smartphone and i can already feel the battery life getting worse

stupid rear end bloatware on my PC laptop

PS4 sounds like a drat harrier jet to watch a movie

i think the last truly Good device I can remember having was the DS Lite lmao

I really only scroll Instagram and text on my phone so I'm not really sure what I'd do with an android. im sure they're fine

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

do they make any good small android phones these days. i have an SE (2020 version) because I don't wanna walk around with some quasi-tablet all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

thanks for weighing in, Goth Odell Beckham