Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Dan
Jul 10, 2022

HELLO
Esteban Trabajo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Peggy Edson posted:

thanks for weighing in, Goth Odell Beckham

oh yeah anytime

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

We’ll all be dead one day and trying to define yourself by having opinions about computer purchasing decisions for devices that we all need to get by in the world is a fool’s errand that will only lead to a sense of emptiness.

The walled garden is beautiful and agreeably sunlit and also shady. There are smooth and gorgeous sculptures, there are pools of cool and gently perfumed water. Enter it, give yourself up to it, and enjoy the time you spend there.

But if you want to bash rocks against each other trying to make fire, that’s fine too

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

if you want an electronic device that isn't beholden to preloaded poo poo and design decisions/flaws just build a super expensive tower desktop and then only put some minor, prompt-based linux kernel on it

problem solved, the only person to blame for how lovely it is, is yourself

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Tiberius Christ posted:

I miss flipphones because once you were done making slick deals you could snap them in half like saul goodman

You could aiso pretend it was a two-way space radio like Kirk etc. used to call the Enterprise from planetary surfaces in Star Trek TOS.

I had one back in the day but it wasn't as configurable as I'd have liked. Somewhat tempted to buy a contemporary one just so I can set its flip open & closed etc. sounds to the Star Trek ones.

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 24, 2022

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
iphone does suck, the typing is worse, ios is annoying, the gestures are weak. it sucks rear end!

i have an iphone from work and an android for personal use, android is better.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
might be gettin a s22 ULTRA today

we shall see. verizon stores loving suck though.

Fat Dan
Jul 10, 2022

HELLO
I'm getting a Nokia X20 because thats about as much I will pay for a phone and I'd be surprised if anyone needed a phone even this powerful.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
yeah, overpaying for a phone at this point is stupid. all the previous gen stuff is so much cheaper and works nearly the same. I guess having one of those folding screen phones would be pretty cool.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the main reason to buy a new phone, or at least new iphones, is that retailers occasionally run insane trade in programs, like trade your 4 year old iphone for an $800 credit. sometimes these require you to lock in 2 years of an expensive carrier plan, but not always.

i got my 13 pro with a huge trade in credit for my iphone 8. i did have to switch carriers, but the deal didn't carrier lock the phone or use billing credits that go away if you leave, so i just switched back to a $25 prepaid plan after a couple billing cycles.

retail promotions make no drat sense.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
imagine liking or wanting a smart phone, moreso picking a side in this stupid corporate war

get a life op

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Waffle House posted:

why did you not use iTunes, it's made by the company that made the phone and it does exactly what you wanted it to

Because he’s poor.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Just using T9 on my Motorola peanut. Technology cannot surpass this.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I'm gonna go take a poo poo and I'm gonna use my iPhone while I do it.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

its all nice on rice posted:

Just using T9 on my Motorola peanut. Technology cannot surpass this.

Sometimes I miss my Motorola SLVR

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

putin is a oval office posted:

What is "goonsay" about not liking corporate over-reach exactly?

I agree with that but then your message is destroyed when you’re a huge dork that everyone hates.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I can shitpost on any phone I don’t need to make them my identity.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

BigBadSteve posted:

You could aiso pretend it was a two-way space radio like Kirk etc. used to call the Enterprise from planetary surfaces in Star Trek TOS.

I had one back in the day but it wasn't as configurable as I'd have liked. Somewhat tempted to buy a contemporary one just so I can set its flip open & closed etc. sounds to the Star Trek ones.

Back in 2005 I had a Motorola i860. It was a metal bodied flip phone that opened when you pushed a button on the side. Not only was it handy, but it felt like opening a switchblade knife every time I used it. It also had a bunch of cringey tribal tattoo sort of markings on it but at the time it was still cool.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Chinatown posted:

might be gettin a s22 ULTRA today

we shall see. verizon stores loving suck though.
Good phone, stylus owns, zoom lens is cool.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

Good phone, stylus owns, zoom lens is cool.

my Note 10+ has served me well but its time. Clicky stylus ftw.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

do they make any good small android phones these days. i have an SE (2020 version) because I don't wanna walk around with some quasi-tablet all day.

This is really the only thing I care about and sadly the answer seems to be no. At least there’s no budget options which is the only thing I’ll buy

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
It's actually quite humorous that there's a button innocuously labeled "Sync" that is constantly shoved in your face and it deletes all your poo poo

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntRA4HrzKhc

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Fartington Butts posted:

I'm gonna go take a poo poo and I'm gonna use my iPhone while I do it.

smart phones should just be called "shittin screens" IMO

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

old beast lunatic posted:

smart phones should just be called "shittin screens" IMO

The only thing the iphone is good for, btw

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
new S22 ULTRA humming along nicely.

dope display, cameras rule, and 5G is speedy :blastu:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

S22 SUPER ULTRA EX (PLUS ALPHA)

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Enjoy your malware! I mean bixby or whatever tf

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I can't stand how the people at Apple huff their own farts and think we should too. Just blatantly huffing rear end gas left and right and then patting themselves on the back for how "brave" they are to huff so much of it.

It's just weird and off-putting.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I do not use apple things, simply because I do not enjoy the ecosystem. If others do that is fine.

However, I hate the "reactions" thing that apple has done with texting. If you're on an android and someone does it, all you get is a text that says the person "loved" the text or whatever.

gently caress you, talk to me like a person, text messaging isn't twitter or facebook or whatever. Do that poo poo there. If you can't think of a reaction, don't send me anything, dipshit, texts are for irl things that matter.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

DicktheCat posted:

I do not use apple things, simply because I do not enjoy the ecosystem. If others do that is fine.

However, I hate the "reactions" thing that apple has done with texting. If you're on an android and someone does it, all you get is a text that says the person "loved" the text or whatever.

gently caress you, talk to me like a person, text messaging isn't twitter or facebook or whatever. Do that poo poo there. If you can't think of a reaction, don't send me anything, dipshit, texts are for irl things that matter.

That just means what you said was either so unimportant or uninteresting that they couldn’t even be bothered to cook up even fake enthusiasm or wit

So basically that’s a self-report bud

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
i was thinking about buying a used iphone to try it out.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
when my mom texts me a funny new yorker dog cartoon i can just reply with the smile instead of saying how funny it was

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Yeah it does. The thing is last I checked Android sucked more. Good job everyone way to suck. I'm going to get a new one and lidar the poo poo out of things!

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 7, 2022

dot communist
Mar 28, 2005

DicktheCat posted:

I hate the "reactions" thing that apple has done with texting. If you're on an android and someone does it, all you get is a text that says the person "loved" the text or whatever.

Newer versions of android show the reactions properly rather than as a separate text. And for a minute you could even do reactions back at iOs users, but I think Google must have gotten a cease and desist or something because you can't do it any more.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
if the text comes back blue, she won't date you.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rad-daddio posted:

if the text comes back blue, she won't date you.

Meaning she has an iPhone but if you have one she won’t date you??

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

LuckyCat posted:

Meaning she has an iPhone but if you have one she won’t date you??

are you questioning their lived experience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Chinatown posted:

new S22 ULTRA humming along nicely.

dope display, cameras rule, and 5G is speedy :blastu:

Powerful self own lol imagine owning a Samsung phone