Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Once again the manga reigns supreme in the face of poorly paced animation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
i like the cool clips and when tehy really juice up episodes taht aren't action but yeah, the pacing's pretty atrocious even when they go all out.

I do really like Lucci seeing Luffy coming, quickly remembering the last time he got punched like that, guarding up against the punch, seeing it come and then regardless getting gut punched to hell. Sells very well how Lucci is not Him.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I get that they went all out because luffy v lucci was THE shounen fight of one piece it's just a fight that matters so little to egghead that it feels wrong. I would have preferred a dust cloud with fists coming out of it.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Mr. 9... Joyboy???

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

He's upside down, so he's Joyboy's opposite, the Nightman

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I'm as annoyed as anyone by the anime's pacing in general, but definitely not in this case. You've got to consider that in the manga you can sit and look at that dynamic punch as long as you want. If it was a kinetic blink-and-you-miss-it moment in the anime that might be cool in its own way, but it would be missing out on the impact that image has. It was made to be an impactful image. So the anime will need to dwell on it more than is "realistic" to capture that aspect of the manga.

When you read the manga you can look at a static image and (especially with Oda's skills) get a feel for the movement. That's a way of reading the image- it's a translation your brain does with certain cues.

If you just read that anime scene the same way you'll find it's fantastic and adds a lot to the manga version. The anime is as representative and not-realistic as the manga. Don't pretend you're watching a video of a real fight, treat it like a manga slideshow with sick animations between the panels.

This can be done badly when the animation implies things are actually slowing down- like Luffy's final blow against Doflamingo was one amazing punch in the manga, and a lame slow beam battle in the anime. But that's not what's happening in Luffy vs Lucci there.

No Wave posted:

I get that they went all out because luffy v lucci was THE shounen fight of one piece it's just a fight that matters so little to egghead that it feels wrong. I would have preferred a dust cloud with fists coming out of it.
Strong disagree. Every instance of Gear 5 should be a whole season's worth of animation budget. That's the point of Gear 5. It's not because he's fighting Lucci, it's because Gear 5 is always that animated.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

vegapunk is not a prophet. he had no way of predicting that all five of the elders would show up and start wrecking poo poo. of what is going on right now, the only thing he saw coming was the marines trying to execute bonney with pacifista. why is this certain? because if he had predicted kizaru showing up, or the elders attacking while immortal, or yorki's betrayal, he would have invented measures to handle those problems. instead, what he's got is a laser dome that doesn't work against the people attacking it, seraphim that the elders have priority control over, and a posthumous automated broadcast of unclear purpose.

really though, he probably should have predicted that kizaru would be there.
This is a good point, but that 10 minutes of stalling is really suspicious. That's just enough time to be stopped, but only if the Gorosei are panicking and rushing. It's a perfect scenario to draw them into a trap.

But you're right it seems like an insane thing to predict... So maybe he didn't. Maybe it is live- the dead Vegapunks are doing this right now in Punk Records, and this was a plan that Vegapunk put into action only when he actually died- after he knew Saturn was here.

Who knows. It might also be ridiculous luck. Assuming something advantageous happens as a result of all this. It could also just be really bad luck if Mars actually stops it and everyone is defeated.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
im beginning to suspect that vegapunk is going to have a big puppetmaster “i knew all of this would happen and in fact arranged this outcome!!” moment

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I don't.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Wasn't there a random, unexplained Den Den Mushi in Imu's throne room? Maybe Mars' reaction is seeing that Vegapunk has a live video feed and/or recordings showing that Imu exists, which would actually be a bombshell for the world and deserving of being called the Egghead incident.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

scary ghost dog posted:

im beginning to suspect that vegapunk is going to have a big puppetmaster “i knew all of this would happen and in fact arranged this outcome!!” moment

“You just got Vegapunk’d. Look, there’s a snail there, there, and there.”

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
If you’re playing 5 dimensional chess to engineer an outcome, presumably you’d want to engineer a good outcome. But seems like every faction is going to be pissed about how the Egghead incident shakes out.

Multiple Vegapunks died. WG/marines are pissed that Bonney has command of the pacifistas and that they had blow up half of science land and that a bunch of giants smashed their ships. Straw hats pissed that they got forced into retreat and had to run away from their second (third for robin) buster call. Lucci is pissed that he got stomped on in his glorious rematch.

Well I guess the giants seem like they’re having fun.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
we’ll see

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

it will turn out the broadcast is actually sent from Mariejois and the five elders screwed themselves over by zooming over to the island

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
To me it's felt like this whole thing is a break glass in case of emergency deal. Vegapunk wasn't sure when and what would get thrown at him so he tried to cover as many bases as possible but you can't plan for everything. Or maybe that's just me projecting too much because I hate the anime super genius who's seventeen steps ahead trope.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I feel like if one dude gets to pull the big brained super planner trick, it should be the dude whose brain is in fact so big it alters weather patterns

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Yeah I don't think Vegapunk's big reveal is gonna be OMG the Gorosei have Devil Fruit! It'll be a hey there is a King of the World and here is what actually happened during the Void Century.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Whatever happened in the Void Century must have been really funny since the One Piece made Roger laugh. Maybe a recording of a Kipper Kids performance.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Still can't believe that we're no closer to learning what the one piece is.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
One Piece, much like Sniper Island, is in our hearts

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Caidin posted:

I feel like if one dude gets to pull the big brained super planner trick, it should be the dude whose brain is in fact so big it alters weather patterns

Nami's a little busy right now though

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
vegapunk's brilliant in very specific ways. if he was one of those "just according to keikaku" characters, kuma's story wouldn't have been nearly so tragic. heck, he gave the wg a dose of the mother flame and then they immediately used it to kill an entire country just because they could. dude's really bad at predicting the consequences of his actions.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

vegapunk's brilliant in very specific ways. if he was one of those "just according to keikaku" characters, kuma's story wouldn't have been nearly so tragic. heck, he gave the wg a dose of the mother flame and then they immediately used it to kill an entire country just because they could. dude's really bad at predicting the consequences of his actions.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I like Atlas the most because violence solves everything

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

You guys ever hear about a dude called “Albert Einstein”

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Vegapunk is an immensely flawed person which makes him really interesting. Besides his intellect he also has a strong sense of right and wrong, but applies it haphazardly and can just selfishly decide to ignore what he does to others if it results in a cool enough invention. This is IMHO worse than being amoral and not caring, because he actively understands the pain he is causing and just chooses to not care. When he does care, he is naive to the point of idiocy in how others will act. He is the type of character where if he dies here in Egghead, it will be horrible and tragic and I hope it doesn't happen, but it would also be 100% absolutely well deserved because what the gently caress mate.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Cat Machine posted:

The difference between Vegapunk and Einstein was he did have a good level of people smarts, he understood well how others would act and how to influence others. He was faced with dealing with Nukes and although he regretted things I honestly can't say he made the wrong decisions. I don't know that he ever intentionally did anything that would hurt anyone or take any action not intended to minimize loss of life. Vegapunk however is a naive baboon in predicting other's actions and did some absolutely wrong decisions and now has the blood of entire nations on his hands.

Like you can try to compare Mother Flame to the nuke, but the difference is Vegapunk does not have an antagonistic other country racing to find the Mother Flame before him and then he gave it to people he knew ahead of time are basically the prime evils from hell. For Einstein it would be like if noone even knew about nuclear fission, then one day Einstein just pops up in Hitler's office with a cool bomb with a 'please don't use it kthx ;)' post-it note attached.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 22, 2024

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Still can't believe that we're no closer to learning what the one piece is.

we are way closer, geographically

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Cat Machine posted:

The end of Oppenheimer but with Vegapunk and Kuma

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Kaku to Spandam: Do you think... perhaps they weren't talking about you, at all? Maybe they were talking about something... important?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

The end of Oppenheimer but with Vegapunk and Kuma
is saint saturn played by robert downey junior

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yes

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

has the bubble bubble fruit ever shown up again past Nami's fight with Kalifa?

I love that stupid fruit

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Meowywitch posted:

has the bubble bubble fruit ever shown up again past Nami's fight with Kalifa?

I love that stupid fruit

yeah its what vegapunk gave the seraphim version of crocodile

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It showed up when Boichi did a redrawn version of the fight that was even hornier

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

JahRoo posted:

Kaido had it

I lied i got his dragon clouds (boring) confused with awakening clouds (fun)

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Bisse posted:

The difference between Vegapunk and Einstein was he did have a good level of people smarts, he understood well how others would act and how to influence others. He was faced with dealing with Nukes and although he regretted things I honestly can't say he made the wrong decisions. I don't know that he ever intentionally did anything that would hurt anyone or take any action not intended to minimize loss of life. Vegapunk however is a naive baboon in predicting other's actions and did some absolutely wrong decisions and now has the blood of entire nations on his hands.

Like you can try to compare Mother Flame to the nuke, but the difference is Vegapunk does not have an antagonistic other country racing to find the Mother Flame before him and then he gave it to people he knew ahead of time are basically the prime evils from hell. For Einstein it would be like if noone even knew about nuclear fission, then one day Einstein just pops up in Hitler's office with a cool bomb with a 'please don't use it kthx ;)' post-it note attached.

In fairness to Vegapunk, I think the Mother Flame is a power source rather than a weapon itself. The actual weapon was probably Uranus.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Waffleman_ posted:

It showed up when Boichi did a redrawn version of the fight that was even hornier

I just looked this up and I'd like to apologize to Oda when I criticized him for being too horny when drawing Nami

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Oda can draw Nami however he wants as long he doesn't put an actual baby face on her like Boichi does to all his female characters, it's genuinely creepy as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Silver2195 posted:

In fairness to Vegapunk, I think the Mother Flame is a power source rather than a weapon itself. The actual weapon was probably Uranus.

it's a pretty powerful weapon, especially on taco night