Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

If I’m a budding One Piece fan who’s only now just starting the Enies Lobby arc, would I be able to watch Film Red?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Just got to 400 chapters, about halfway through the Enies Lobby arc.

God drat. What an arc so far. Gear 2, Robin’s backstory, Luffy declaring war on the world gov, so many great moments one after the other. So many pieces that have been stacking up all this time being woven together so effortlessly. The giants, the ponyglyphs, all these little marine characters coming back into the story. It’s incredible!

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Nov 8, 2022

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I finished the Water 7/Enies Lobby saga!!

I don’t need to tell anybody here how great it was.

My question right now is based off where I’m at, are there any good One Piece movies I could watch?

I’ve already (also only) seen the sixth movie, Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island. But I was wondering if there were any other good ones at this point.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I just read up to the time skip. Wooooh. Manga milestone, baby. The story truly begins!

Yohohohoho!!!

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 1, 2022

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I finished Fishman Island saga today. I’m not sure why people don’t think of this one very favorably. It starts slow, sure, but man I think Oda really is a great storyteller.

Thriller Bark I get why people don’t like, but this one is a great morality tale.

Now I’m onto the Doflamingo story, which I’m excited about.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 22, 2022

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Happy birthday, Chopper!!!

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Guy who has not caught up update: I’m currently on chapter 678, pretty deep in the Punk Hazard arc. I’m finding it kind of a slog to get through. Is this a common consensus or do I just need to take a break for a little bit?

I find the elements to be overstuffed and not quite congealing the way these stories tend to be. So many disparate pieces moving around and I have yet to find a coherent theme to tie them together. It’s coming off as noise to me.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Delphisage posted:

I wish I could figure out how to make critiques as detailed as "the arc has all these elements yet none of them really congeal".

I’m picking up on your sarcasm but I’m over 3/4ths through this arc and I’m not yet picking up a running theme here.

As far as I can tell, it’s something to do with things being split. The samurai, the chimera pirates, the harpy woman, Law switching around the bodies, and the island itself.

Then you have the mad doctor and the drug addicted babies. I’m sure Oda may be going somewhere with this but to me it’s taking a long time to make the connections for how the conflict in the lab ties into the split nature of everything else.

Where I’m at, it doesn’t feel like the conflict has a grander message behind it than, say, the Fishman Island arc. It feels shallow and the mad doctor reads kinda flat right now, though I like his laugh.

I’m not finished yet so hopefully I’ll be proven wrong here, but this has been a pretty slow arc to read through.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Delphisage posted:

It's not sarcasm. I'm wishing I was smarter out loud.

My bad, friend.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Just popping in to say that I just now finished the Dressrosa saga. Such an incredible finale and enjoyable read, I’m beaming.

Oda is supernaturally gifted at keeping all these characters and events in order while giving us clear and entertaining moment-to-moment action.

Plot-wise, this arc’s climax was similar to Alabasta in many ways, but the sheer volume of new characters, environmental complexity, and added lore injected wherever possible shows how much Oda has grown as a storyteller since then.

So excited to see what’s coming, yet bittersweet to know I’m nearing the home stretch.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Guy who just finished reading the arc here again:

I had no idea the birdcage was going to be such a touchy subject. It seemed like a perfectly functional ticking clock element that heightened the stakes and seemed plausible enough in Doffy’s wheelhouse. His powers are a little more vague than usual but that’s fine. Puppet master : strings : very strong antagonist.

Works just fine for me.

I think the actual Doffy/Luffy fight was the least interesting part of the climax though. Pretty familiar territory. They don’t spend too much time on it though.

The one criticism I will agree on is the weird vibes surrounding the women, but this is something I’ve just kind of accepted with the series. Definitely amped up in this arc, though. Oda sure loves his bazongas.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Happy birthday Usopp!

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Happy birthday Jinbei!

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Happy birthday Brook!

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I hit 900 chapters!!

Home stretch.

Zou was fantastic.

Whole Cake Island was fantastic.

Oda is a god.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

First act of Wano read. This face is so loving good.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Happy Birthday Blueno

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Finished Wano act 2. I’m on your tail, caught-up people.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I’m in the third act of Wano but taking this huge flashback detour of Oden and the…other pirates. It is amazing to see this stuff. Oda does such a great job at paying off these reveals. Every detail of Roger and Whitebeard feels legendary.

Just felt like sharing.

Also I find this color spread is hilarious.
I don’t know much about the speed of boy band culture but I assume an outfit like Arashi has already become quite dated. But what do I know.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Scholtz posted:

Also lmao that we have to spoiler text for the next 10 days

I have 100 chapters left to read before I catch up. I can easily do it before the spoilers come down.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Scholtz posted:

godspeed, but when you finish...

Will you join our crew?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Just passed 1000 chapters. I wanna thank all the haters and losers who said I’d never make it, or that I should be working. This has been one of the best pieces of fiction I’ve ever read.

Edit: and now I’m out of colored chapters. Sigh. It’s rough for you people caught up, isn’t it??

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 29, 2023

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I did it.

I’m finally caught up with One Piece.

What am I supposed to do with my life now??

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

MorningMoon posted:

Meme and slowly descend into reading the scanlations.

What were your favorite arcs?

Overall I just want to say how much I loved how controlled and planned this story always felt. An immense amount of good will is given from the audience when your stories feel this satisfyingly self contained while pushing a grander, expanding narrative along. So arcs that I would consider to really be ‘peak’ feel that way largely because they’re paying off what’s been building up so much.

For me, the best of the best is probably Marineford. And I expect Oda to top that with the climax of this story soon which is so exciting. The board being set up for this end game continues to intrigue and exceed expectations.

But I don’t want to sound too basic. I think the smaller arcs are really underrated bc they have to compete with these huge fight scenes. Sabaody, Zou and Reverie all do so much for the world in their smaller timescales while giving these really satisfying stories in themselves.

In short, favorite arc…Wano. Or Marineford.

Least favorite…easily Punk Hazard (though looking back I see the importance). Or Syrup Village but that feels mean.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

And it shows off the GOAT, my man Bon Clay.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

^Yes!! I intend to watch the last four movies, the full Wano arc, and the G-8 filler arc as well.^

Impel Down had my favorite moment in the entire series, which continues to pay off today.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I watched Film Red last night and had a really great time with it. Perfectly overstimulating without losing the plot. Loved the music and the cameos of characters and places was just the kind of fan service I enjoy. Bepoooooo!!

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Scholtz posted:

I hope it covers the entire series and spoils the ending, Game of Thrones style.

Episode 8: Wano, Egghead, ???

“There’s nothing in the world more powerful than a good story…and who has a better story than Gaimon?

Will you be our pirate king?”

“Why do you think I came all this way?”

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Are we sure “logia” as in logia devil fruit is NOT pronounced like actor Robert Loggia? Because that’s how I’ve been saying it.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Larryb posted:

That’s what I assumed anyway, how does the anime say it?

I’ve heard others say it like ‘Lugia’. Hard G.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Live action Morgans just needs to be a repurposed Splash Mountain animatronic.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Man, reading in real time is brutal. Still, it feels like we’re on a slowly ascending roller coaster..

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

This is the only weekly manga I am actually caught up on. Monthly manga chapters are the norm in my experience so I don’t mind the wait. That said I hope Oda is okay.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Gonna use this break to reread this arc. There’s a lot to remember.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

What is the turnaround on official colored manga? Do they come out in large chunks? Is there any regularity to that?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Five weeks.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I got this really weird gacha yesterday. The theme is den den mushi projecting the Strawhats at their lowest. I pulled two Zoro.

Really weird idea for a set and I’m not sure if it sucks or owns.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Maybe it's me but I think one piece (especially the early stuff) should look green and blue.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

hatty posted:

I’m hearing brown and yellow

Oh, it looks brown and yellow alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

The quips must flow.