Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Did I miss something somewhere or is Robo-Kuma actually working with Dragon a known thing? Because that surprised the hell out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

No Wave posted:

This is exactly what I thought was being communicated when green bull showed up and momo frantically tried to solo him.

BB's crew seems too ragged to actually use the mero mero so it seems weird for him to go after it this hard. Surely making friends with hancock would be an easier option.

It's a dumb thought, but given how kind of vague some fruit powers can work; what if Boa's fruit doesn't strictly have to work on lust, love, or romantic feelings but any kind of "attraction"? If that were the case, being able to petrify anyone drawn in by his gravity powers would be obscenely useful for Black Beard and would make sense for him to want. But beyond that I can't think of any reason why he'd want it, unless as other people have speculated, he's doing it solely to unpetrify someone in which case just getting her to do the work for him would probably be easier.

hosed up he's taking the creator's name off of his own creation.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 10, 2022

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So how long until Luffy remembers a third mysterious brother who gets to show up with the fire fruit and then die :v:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I too can't wait to wink wink and nudge nudge about all the spoilers the non-spoiler people are avoiding

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

If we're still giving our post-time skip hot takes, mine's that these past arcs have been more focused on issues you can't fix just by punching the bad guy at the head of the bad crew really hard, but instead more systematic issues brought on by a broken and corrupt government and all that jazz. But sometimes it just doesn't mesh well with a genre almost solely dedicated to punching people really hard to solve all of your problems.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Everyone else here has detailed takes on the post time skip arcs involving plot and pacing and I don’t think I saw anyone else complain that the art is too busy and hard to parse, so maybe I need to prioritize going to the optometrist. It’s been like a decade since my last check so maybe I need bifocal lenses.

I just assumed either everyone felt that way and said nothing, or I was dumb and said nothing out of embarrassment. Because some of the more recent fights have been hard to track.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Infinitum posted:

I'm hype for the inevitable Franky nonsense this arc is going to involve :allears:

It would be really cool if we got a new franky design.

That was just his old design.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

anime was right posted:

vegapunk: no sense of right or wrong being true is very funny

as for kuma: im guessing hes older because old kumas consciousness was put into seraphim kuma. cp0 seems to imply that new kuma is some kind of hinderance. he was probably the first seraphim created as a test for the others.

You mention that, and like a few pages before they show seraphim kuma Bonny's literally talking about how og kuma's mind is gone and how that upsets her. So going from that conversation to a shot of the mysterious problem child kuma clone kinda makes sense. Also, you know, like half these island storylines lately have had storylines about kids reconnecting with their families one way or another.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

ThingOne posted:

Why would you make a hologram that can feel pain?

so you can create a weapon that lets you hurt it

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Drakkel posted:

You know we're in the darkest hours of the pre-chapter lull when the thread devolves into Power Level Discourse

But could luffy beat superman

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

davidHalestorm posted:

Not sure I like the concept of strong Haki just straight up negating Devil Fruit's abilities. That's a such standard battle shounen trope, if your number is big enough, you can't be hurt unless by someone with a bigger number. But I do trust Oda in his ability to make the upcoming battles to be as wacky as ever. Like it doesn't matter how strong your Haki if Gear 5 Luffy can drop an anvil on you out of nowhere

I genuinely don't get why people are taking this one as hard as they are this isn't really different from like, earlier in the story, Zoro deciding he needed to get better at sword fighting to cut iron or whatever, then kicking Mr. 1's rear end. It's just more visualized through haki, because haki's always been a representation of a character's willpower, which has always been a facet of the story. The entire reason Roger was able to become pirate king was because he was a strong, rad, dude. Not because he had like, sick nasty haki. He had the haki because he was a strong, rad, dude. Haki is and always has been just a dynamic way of characters doing the usual shonen "My willpower is so strong you can't affect/kill me" thing and that being shaken being the huge turning point in a battle.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

YggdrasilTM posted:

???
Haki allows you to feel the presence of enemies and predict their moves, to harden your body like iron and to make weak willed people people faint. That is 100% NOT just a representation of "My willpower is so strong you can't affect/kill me"

But all of those things are literally just common manifestations of strong will across the entire history of anime and manga. You've always had characters without any super natural power just being like "I detect a strong killing presence from over there" or being just so darn strong and powerful in their resolve that normal humans wilt away in shame. Haki is genuinely just putting a name to a bundle of classic tropes that show up in almost any shonen series :psyduck:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Cornwind Evil posted:

I remember years and years ago reading raw fan translations of Thriller Bark and the 'heavily injured old man' who Luffy mistakes for a zombie was translated as "an old man with a big wound."

So sometimes you get gems like that.

As for Big Mom, I'm expecting her to turn up as O-lin again, perhaps permanently. She seemed happier like that. As for Kaido, he's so drat tough that he could be dead or alive now, it's just as credible either way.

Maybe Kaido shows up wearing a tengu mask working with O-lin to run a bath house or something outside of the capital. Both retire in peace having been so thoroughly owned there's no going back to being warlords.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

tbp posted:

i've sorta just come around to waiting for vegapunk to explain this to me cuz the idea that nobody noticed feels like it requires a lot of gymnastics but its also not really the end of the world if oda just didn't tighten up the idea and had to invent one partially through the story

I assume this is the world government's plan as well.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Eiba posted:

I feel like people overcompensate in dismissing Enel's potential. If Crocodile can come back and hang out with the Emperors, Enel can come back and do the same. It's an interesting revelation that he would not effortlessly Lord it over everyone on the Blue Seas like he did in the sky, but that doesn't mean he's stuck at sub-Sanji levels. All he needs is a dream and possibly an army of moon robots to back him up.

Maybe we'll see sooner rather than later. I give this arc about even odds of going to Elbaf or Fairy Vearth. If the Space Pirates are ever going to be relevant and woven back into the main story, this is the time to do it.

I know it'll feel weird to run into an old antagonist in a completely new context, but we've already got Lucci here. Let Crocodile and whatever's left of Moria show up and you've got a full Paradise antagonist reunion.

I imagine a potential return of Enel being a sort of dragon ball z freeza situation; "this guy always had the potential to be disgustingly powerful, but was always just a big fish in a small pond. But he's strong now." It might make for a fun movie, I guess.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

TaurusOxford posted:

If it's anything like Yu-Gi-Oh, then it's a way to have more "Kozuki Oden" cards in your deck for more consistent support use or without running into a duplicate clause that I assume this game has.

It's like how there's a dozen differently named Harpie monsters but they're all treated as "Harpie Lady" so there's consistent synergy with support cards.

This is literally the basis for the skull servant deck in Yugioh. There's a monster called King of the Skull Servants and its attack power is the number of monsters named "Skull Servant" in your graveyard x1000. There's also a ton of skeletons who have the effect of "this monster's name is "Skull Servant" when in your graveyard". so you just send like 8 of those to the graveyard and now have one of the strongest monsters in the game. But since its a 1-star monster with a base attack is like 100, it gets past a lot of monster effects that typically destroy powerful monsters because a lot of those target base attack power above certain levels or high level monsters.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

My uncle works at one piece and he says oda didn't have Yamato join the crew because not enough people saw film RED, true facts.

the bitcoin of weed posted:

yamato is part of the straw hat grand fleet that will assemble for the final war, which at this point probably includes the main friendlies from every . major island. at the very least Vivi, fishman island, zou and the minks, and all those guys from dressrosa in addition to the Wano cast

Looking forward to the big final fight where the marines get beat the gently caress out by literally everyone cool, and some dudes who aren't cool but aren't bad either.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Given how poo poo he is, do you think he's going to have the most tragic backstory, or the least?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Supersonic Shine posted:

Akainu being a divorced dad sounds right to me.

He'll be the one dad who doesn't want to reunite with his kid. The ultimate one piece villain.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I would play a dragon quest game where they replaced Toryiama's style with Oda's.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

blackbeard's one great crime was betraying whitebeard. everything else he's done is pretty normal pirate poo poo. he's definitely a bad person that is directly opposed to luffy, but he's not fundamentally different from say, don krieg. teach is just more capable and successful, is all.

Don Krieg was also a giant rear end in a top hat no one liked. Except for Gin.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I love all the stupid new theories this brings to the table.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

What if Luffy is a clone of Luffy, and he's never actually won a fight; he just dies and a new luffy is swapped in off panel and everyone's in on it except the reader.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Blackbeard actually has multiple clones of himself and they live inside one another because the biggest of them has the matryoshka doll fruit

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

What if it's the wing-wing fruit and she just likes to bite people?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

My bonkers theory of the week is that Vivi will end up eating a water Logia. I base this solely on the fact that she has blue hair.

Wouldn't a water logia be an unending life of hell?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Scrap Dragon posted:

I imagine that the Bird Cage did suck to read week-to-week, but as someone that read it archivally it was excellent

This has basically been my take on almost every post-timeskip arc. However good the highs are, or rough the lows can be; they're all just better when you can read them via archive and appreciate a pace that isn't one chapter a week or so. When one piece is finally finished in fifty years I look forward to spending a million dollars on whatever fancy rear end collected edition they manage to work up and reading it until I die.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Wano was just so bloated and it really lessens the impact of what’s going on to have so many characters taking up space that I just simply do not give a gently caress about

This is why it's going to be really fun when one piece enters its big shonen finale arc and every character has to have their chapter spotlight to punch the villain.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

MorningMoon posted:

oh this is embarrassing, turns out there was one more page TCB didn't get so they had to update the chapter. Here's the real final page of the chapter

You joke but showing up out of nowhere and ganking a dude is exactly the kind of thing Don Krieg, the king of the pirates would do.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Sogeking had enough of Vegapunk's poo poo

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

anime was right posted:

seems like:

pancaea that can cure any disease + the frog oil cure

He knows Law though.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Jiro posted:

He KNEW Law, who knows if Law survives against Blackbeard.

Which means Usopp can eat the magical cure fruit and thus, he's not a liar anymore :colbert:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I can't wait for him to come back like Darth Maul; with stupid robot legs.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

I mean getting your dream crushed, being firmly eliminated from the race for Pirate King, getting badly injured AND having your ship destroyed are all pretty serious consequences. I never get why people think “death” is the only way a story has stakes.

Kid becoming the next generation's Don Krieg or Moria would be an interesting spin on that.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

I think everyone is forgetting something incredibly important here

RIP Law's hat

It's okay in like five chapters we'll get a flashback showing Law's Hat's motivations after it's finally confirmed as Black Beard's eleventh captain.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Probably easier to get around as a Monkey than as a Rocks

Even if he isn't some great infamous criminal's family; it's not entirely uncommon for someone marrying into a more prestigious family to take their name instead, and Garp's a pretty famous dude.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

RatHat posted:

So the Elder heading to Egghead is the one on the far left, with the big horns.

The one on the far right really looks like some kind of elephant. Are there any notable elephant-like Yokai or mythical creatures? I’d predict Mammoth if it wasn’t already taken.

If we're going with the "they're all demons/yokai" theory: then it could be a Baku, the dream eater yokai.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The pro move would be for him to die before the last chapter and on his death bed tell everyone if they want it they can have it, but they have to find it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Crocodile is actually the third blackbeard sibling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I do not like this live action one piece