Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Excelzior posted:

I'm playing *as* those reno decks

Then play something else if you want to poo poo on Plague DKs? I don’t get it! You’re complaining your deck has a hard counter! Don’t they all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Sandwolf posted:

Then play something else if you want to poo poo on Plague DKs? I don’t get it! You’re complaining your deck has a hard counter! Don’t they all?

no, no they don't have a hard counter. That's the whole conversation! Reno decks are the only type of decks that have a hard counter at the moment

that's literally the point.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Excelzior posted:

no, no they don't have a hard counter. That's the whole conversation! Reno decks are the only type of decks that have a hard counter at the moment

that's literally the point.

I’m not sure I follow?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I would argue that Nature Shaman has a very hard counter in the Warrior class

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Sandwolf posted:

I’m not sure I follow?

Highlander decks are to some extent always going to have a longer, grindier gameplan because that's what you need to do to make the limitation work. After the one anti-generation tech card rotated, plagues have gone from something you're bad into but you can find a way to turn your Highlander cards back on if you have to into something that just says "your highlander cards are off for the rest of the game, enjoy your dead draws while your grindy deck gets ground down". It's not literally a hard counter the way control warrior counters a pure burn deck like Nature Shaman and having a strategy that worked if your highlander cards got disabled has always been part of making modern versions of the archetype work, but the matchup still feels really bad.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

I enjoy playing highlander decks and am not a fan of Helya (playing as or against) . I think the best courerplay right now is to get brann out ASAP by having numerous tutors. Basically whichever card gets played first decides the match up imo.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

What Highlander cards are there really? Reno, Brann, is that it? If your entire deck relies on proccing those two cards you deserve to be interactive. I don’t know man, this all feels like Reno decks pissed they don’t get to just do whatever they want. No one cares that you missed the ability to double up battlecries for the rest of the game, that’s called balance.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Sandwolf posted:

Play a deck that doesn’t depend on a poo poo gimmick

All top decks in current meta depend on poo poo gimmick.

Anywho, DH nerf is coming and knowing Team5 nerf policy it is going to be either "nuke it into oblivion" or "nothing really changed", nothing in between.

Szarrukin fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 5, 2024

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Szarrukin posted:

All top decks in current meta depend on poo poo gimmick.

Anywho, DH nerf is coming and knowing Team5 nerf policy it is going to be either "nuke it into oblivion" or "nothing really changed", nothing in between.

Wow specifically for Demon Hunter.. I have to imagine they’re gonna absolutely kill it.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Yeah, I bet it's gonna be handbuff paladin treatment (followed with inevitable warlock meta).

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sandwolf posted:

What Highlander cards are there really? Reno, Brann, is that it? If your entire deck relies on proccing those two cards you deserve to be interactive. I don’t know man, this all feels like Reno decks pissed they don’t get to just do whatever they want. No one cares that you missed the ability to double up battlecries for the rest of the game, that’s called balance.

Well, Reno and your class' designated understatted battlecry minion that's completely dead weight, but the point stands. And objectively, you're right. Like I said, working without your Reno cards was always the best plan A and having a Steamcleaner in an ETC was always a Plan B in good Reno decks. Subjectively... Reno Warrior deserves to get punched in the shape by Plague DK. Reno DH is being propped up by Window Shopper, but it's so card draw-focused that being hard countered by plagues feels right. But Dragon Druid is pretty good but not so good that having your big late-game stabilization tools shut off feels right. Reno Shaman isn't so good that you feel like you deserve to randomly get all your cool stuff turned off. Has anyone even done anything worth mentioning with Reno Paladin or Priest in months?

I just wanted to be clear that I'm not talking about why it sucks for Reno decks because I'm sad for one of the best decks in the game. I'm talking about it because decks that probably wouldn't be particularly meta anyway are getting hit by stray bullets that make you wonder why you even bothered trying.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Reno Shaman was v good before they killed Doc Holli’dae. That one’s on Blizzard too. I have never seen a Reno Paladin, isn’t their Reno card poo poo? I have seen Reno Priest and it loving ruined my life but basically any control priest deck is hoping to do that.

I’d be okay with them nerfing plagues (they don’t even feel particularly fun to play) but if they do so they need to kill Warrior decks beforehand. No one wants an all Odyn/Reno/Brann meta, which we have been teetering on for months anyways.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Ideally an unfavorable matchup for decks should be like, 40/60 or 35/65. Hard counters are lame and turn ladder climbing into a question of dodging certain classes.

And frankly, none of the current Highlander payoffs are good enough that they need to be unilaterally and permanently turned off in order to keep them in check. Reno is certainly strong, but it’s an inherently reactive card. (I would honestly be more interested in finding a way to remove Reno as an option for decks that aren’t strictly Highlander than in making it a weaker card in decks that are.)

bravesword fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 5, 2024

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Hearthstone has always been the dumbed down smash big dudes into each other cardgame that is supposed to be characterized by fast games. Highlander decks have always leaned heavily into slowing the game down to a crawl and making it suck poo poo so that it can take advantage of its extremely powerful payoff legendaries. For this sin, they absolutely deserve to be hard countered by plagues, and should in fact be able to be hard countered by even more things so that people stop fuckin playing them.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Ah yes, famous fast deck Plague DK

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sandwolf posted:

Reno Shaman was v good before they killed Doc Holli’dae. That one’s on Blizzard too. I have never seen a Reno Paladin, isn’t their Reno card poo poo? I have seen Reno Priest and it loving ruined my life but basically any control priest deck is hoping to do that.

Nah, their Reno card's good. It's just... you could run a slower more value-focused midrange game that's kind of inconsistent because you're a Reno deck, or you could consistently do the extremely good things Paladin could do anyway.

(There's also some weird mechanical interactions with mirages, iirc, but it just got squeezed out by plague DK and better paladin decks before I could internalize them.)

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
hearthstone players trying to not get mad when game lasts more than 7 turns challenge [IMPOSSIBLE]

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Szarrukin posted:

hearthstone players trying to not get mad when game lasts more than 7 turns challenge [IMPOSSIBLE]

You're goddamn right. If I want a game to go longer than five minutes I'll play Magic instead.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Szarrukin posted:

Getting those people mad is what made playing BBB Renathal DK so good

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

someday this gunslinger kurtrus I opened will have his day in the sun

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
pre-emptive post that they should probably nerf Forge of Wills

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

World War Mammories posted:

someday this gunslinger kurtrus I opened will have his day in the sun

It's alright in the reno window shopper deck.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
Just had a game with Painlock where I was at 8 health on the end of my second turn. I won, but it was close.

Writing this down so I remember it: using Forge of Wills on a full board will expend a charge and not summon, even if it's the last charge.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Firebert posted:

pre-emptive post that they should probably nerf Forge of Wills

I really don’t know how they could without completely killing it, the mana cost hardly ever matters because it’s usually just sitting there until Fanottem can be played

and the only other change is the durability which would absolutely destroy it

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

a decent turn 4

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Julio Cruz posted:

I really don’t know how they could without completely killing it, the mana cost hardly ever matters because it’s usually just sitting there until Fanottem can be played

People always say this, but the mana cost always matters. Forge of Wills very rarely does anything the turn it comes into play, and the more expensive it is the bigger an ask it is to take a turn off in hopes of a big swing turn later on.

The graveyards are full of cards that went from busted to unplayable because their mana cost got increased by one, and yet every time nerfs come down people say mana nerfs don’t mean anything. Just a few pages ago people were saying the Odyn nerf was pointless, but that deck’s winrate plummeted after its central card went from eight to nine. The number of cards that are unsafe at any speed can be counted on your fingers.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

If you make it 4 mana they can’t make 7/7+ minions with rush on turn 4 which gives aggressive opponents more leash to punish the warlock, mana would be enormous.

You could also make the rush guy die after attacking so you aren’t just getting two mountain giants on 4 with Dark Alley pact.

Firebert fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 6, 2024

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I can’t imagine why we’d care about Forge, when in the first expansion of the year we have hard, capital C Control Warrior & DK everywhere. This will only get worse as more tools are introduced, and they’re already clearing boards reliably for 6-8 turns.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I kinda think the game feels really good right now, and nothing really needs a nerf. Maybe Umpire’s Grasp?

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.

Shockeh posted:

I can’t imagine why we’d care about Forge, when in the first expansion of the year we have hard, capital C Control Warrior & DK everywhere. This will only get worse as more tools are introduced, and they’re already clearing boards reliably for 6-8 turns.

Even if it's less than 50% of the time, two 7/7s or 8/8s on turn 4 with their setup requirement being a single card on the field... this produces a lot of "non-games" against many decks.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Give us Rustrot quality tech for the various things we need then:

* Destroy a Weapon
* Destroy a Location
* Remove 3-5 cards from your deck that didn’t start there

Hell, make it a real mini-version, and just remove 1 durability on the first two options, and then you could make a Neutral ‘Pick 2’ option, and add ‘Silence a Minion with less Attack than this’ or something. (That’d be too good, but you get the concept)

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Every creature should be nerfed and just be a mana cost and a ?/? stat line. No special abilities, just two people bashing creatures together until orgas.... winning.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Shockeh posted:

Give us Rustrot quality tech for the various things we need then:

* Destroy a Weapon
* Destroy a Location
* Remove 3-5 cards from your deck that didn’t start there

Hell, make it a real mini-version, and just remove 1 durability on the first two options, and then you could make a Neutral ‘Pick 2’ option, and add ‘Silence a Minion with less Attack than this’ or something. (That’d be too good, but you get the concept)

I was going to post an image of demolition renovator going "am I a joke to you?" because I thought they put it in the core set, but I went to check and apparently they didn't. weird

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

World War Mammories posted:

I was going to post an image of demolition renovator going "am I a joke to you?" because I thought they put it in the core set, but I went to check and apparently they didn't. weird
I mean, yeah, at 4/4/4, they were. :v:

The 3 cost, 3/4 Tradeable is a very sweet spot, of being a justifiable tech slot that it doesn't hurt too much if it's not usable. Because they carry an obvious Opportunity Cost, any dedicated Tech needs to be worthwhile as a Body/Trade even if you don't get the Tech.

Desert Bus posted:

Every creature should be nerfed and just be a mana cost and a ?/? stat line. No special abilities, just two people bashing creatures together until orgas.... winning.
Don't stop now I'm so close.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 8, 2024

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

The mad lads from the Hearthstone Secret Finder Discord did it.

They figured out the last mystery.
Apparently you need this (wild) deck code to get into it.
Build it and start a Wild match with it. (Yes, it works, I just checked)

As for what to do then... :shrug:
The big brains are cracking down on it as we speak I guess.

quote:

Big thanks to all the hard work in the secret finding Discord! They cracked the deck code last night needed to get into the puzzle. Now come join us, and let's figure out how yo solve this thing!

https://discord.com/invite/wowsecrets

AAEBAdT8BSiTB/kOjhDSEZAVt2z5rALDtAL2vwLdwgKD1AKM7wKTgAPRiQPEmAOhqQOFsQO6tgOTzQPq4QOR5APy6QOo7wPL+QOmgQSvjgS7rASStQS7zgSX7wSi7wSfpAX9xAWp5QWt6QXa+gXRnAaSngaeogbmqQYAAAEDhM4C/cQF97gD/cQF1JUG/cQFAAA=

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Apr 8, 2024

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
Copied from discord:

okay, so I'm going to just braindump what I have from my testing and from watching the Chinese work on this puzzle

obviously the tiles are numbered 1-14. I don't think which minion it is matters at all. the board resetting is just showing you the new board after your action, and you need to identify which tiles are 1-14 again

(a hassle, but a tool could make this easier)

You need to keep swapping tiles until you get them to be ordered 1-14, with 1-7 in order in the top row and 8-14 in order in the bottom row

the board is using some sort of a sorting algorithm. when you move one piece from the bottom to the top, it calculates the new positions of all the tiles based on the algorithm that's applied after you do the swap

the game is figuring out which algorithm is being used and how you swap tiles in order to get it to do what you want (arrange them all from 1-14)
[6:58 AM]
the best guess I have for which algorithm is in use is some sort of an even / odd alternating pattern that it's applying based on which tiles is in which position
[6:59 AM]
unfortunately my puzzle solving crptgraphic thinking brain can't push it much farther than that. but I think that is the gist of it

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Pretty wild it took this long to find it

EDIT: pun not intended

RatHat fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 8, 2024

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

RatHat posted:

Pretty wild it took this long to find it

EDIT: pun not intended

the trick was that they needed to gather a LOT of data, as the cards that make up the deck were hidden in a rare amount of plays of the Say My Name secret (the one they made a tavern brawl out of a few weeks back)

in some small amount of plays, you got two of the same card in your opening hand

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
If there wasn’t a community actively dedicated to finding it I doubt it ever would’ve been found

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the secrets in hearthstone and wow have always been directly targeted at the secret finding community, pretty much