Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Lumbermouth posted:

Anyone actually seen a Joymancer Jepetto out in the wild? We're coming up on the deadline and I haven't seen a single person play it.

I still have my deck for that quest.

I'm DesertBus#1367 on the America server, add me if you still need to do it and you'd like to borrow and play it or play against it or do a mirror match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Lumbermouth posted:

Anyone actually seen a Joymancer Jepetto out in the wild? We're coming up on the deadline and I haven't seen a single person play it.

I got offered him as my arena legendary once and got it done that way. 🥳

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Lumbermouth posted:

I saw him once but the guy was about to lose so he conceded before I could kill him next turn. Fortunately you can finish the reward track without actually completing that quest.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I can't believe I am playing this again.

Since I am not in EU anymore I started a new account and went through the new player experience. If you are just getting into the game the DK starter deck and be transformed into Plague Control with only one extra Legendary and it's doing me very well for casual laddering:

# 2x (1) Scarab Keychain
2x (1) Staff of the Primus
2x (2) Distressed Kvaldir
2x (2) Down with the Ship
1x (2) Frozen Over
2x (2) Kobold Miner
1x (2) Mining Casualties
2x (2) Necrotic Mortician
1x (3) Chillfallen Baron
1x (3) Plucky Paintfin
2x (3) Reap What You Sow
1x (4) Helya
2x (4) Skeleton Crew
2x (4) Tomb Traitor
2x (5) Burrow Buster
1x (8) The Primus
1x (0) Zilliax Deluxe 3000
1x (0) Zilliax Deluxe 3000
1x (4) Twin Module
1x (5) Perfect Module
2x (11) Chained Guardian
1x (20) Reska, the Pit Boss
#
AAECAfHhBAiH9gST+wXt/wX7gAb/lwaSoAbHpAb7qAYL9fcFgvgF8vgFu/kF6/8FyoMG0IMG9YwG85EGy58G4OUGAAED9bMGx6QG97MGx6QG6N4Gx6QGAAA=
#

The only legendary you need to craft is Zilliax who looks like he goes in every deck anyway. The Primus, Reska, Helya, The Guardians, and pretty much everything else come in the precon.

There are lots of outs, the double Zilliax can net you 12 HP the turn you drop it and saving your Azurite Rats to bring back your Chained Guardians can net you a ton of health. Sometimes you luck out and get a Headless Horseman off of a Primus discovery and just win. It's definitely helped me get my foundations in what feels like like a very different game from when I last played.

I started off getting really annoyed at Spell Mages but most of the time they seem to just whiff now, I am sure it will be worse when I get to higher ranks but rn it's pretty funny.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Where is this DH nerf, anyway?

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

I've been running nearly the same deck, but dropping the Necrotic Morticians and Frozen Over to complete the sets of Mining Casualties, Chillfall Barons, and Plucky Paintfins. The extra baron is outstanding for drawing into Helya faster because every plague that gets triggered before Helya is played doesn't get to endlessly recur, Mining Casualties is deceptively strong because it's only 2 mana to trade with an X/4 while also lowering Reska's cost by 4, and the extra Paintfin makes it more reliable to get your strongest cards in Reska, Zilliax, and Chained Guardians as well as the Burrow Busters to hit your legendary excavate ASAP. Reliably getting Reska in your hand and playable early via both Mining Casualties and Paintfin can be clutch against the virus rogue deck, as stealing a random minion is one of the few counters the deck has for a stealth attack-doubling Zilliax (other than 2x of either Tomb Traitors or Collapse from excavation).

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Shockeh posted:

Where is this DH nerf, anyway?

I think it's tomorrow with the battlegrounds patch?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

The night before the executioner's axe Duels is loving hopping. Where were you people before? :mad:

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

If you have an active run when the music stops you get a free tavern ticket out of it so i imagine everyone's playing to 2 losses for value, i know I did this week.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Looks like Blizzard figured people were getting too much free gold from the rewards track so they could get packs and expansions for free and go basically F2P.

One way to counter that, is apparently to triple the requirements for weekly XP quests (and increasing the reward by ~25%, but if you don't have the time to finish them in the first place, this increase is meaningless).

Those weeklies were a doozy easy to clear and if you did all of them consistently, they alone would net you 6 free packs per week (without Tavern Pass bonus XP) if you got past lvl 100.

Edit: my bad, not "doozy". I meant the opposite.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 16, 2024

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
"a doozy to clear" is certainly a way to put having to win five whole games over the course of a week

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Who even has time to play 2 battleground games every single day let alone win 2 a day? At 50% win rate that's over 4 battlegrounds matches every day.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

I could see people grinding out the wins on brawls as there are often broken decks with t1-3 finishers.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
And the "play X Miniaturize/Mini cards" is currently set to 60. That was already a mission I always refreshed because I don't have enough good Miniaturize cards to bother with it, but screw that.

And yeah, you could grind these quests out if you want to, but that's just more Heathstone than I want to play in a week.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

They also keep killing decks that actually play Mini cards. That quest was doable with Handbuff Pally and Window Shopper DH but now, uhhh, Sleet Skaters?

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Play 20 titans

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
I don’t mind them tinkering with the values on quests — I actually think the weeklies are a little too easy to clear — but it doesn’t look like they put much thought into their number adjustments. The least they could have done is make the rewards proportional to the increased input.

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Maybe it's deliberately tuned too high so that people will be more ok with the final numbers. They've done this enough times that my thoughts just go conspiratorial at this point

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
I seriously doubt they want this overshadowing the Battlegrounds patch or Duos mode. It’s just something that wasn’t fully thought-through and communicated poorly.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Well at least you can give Blizzard more money for the meme Boulderfist Ogre skin in the shop

EDIT: Actually it comes with 5 packs and a card back so I guess you could say it has good statsvalue for the costprice

RatHat fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 16, 2024

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

Luff posted:

Maybe it's deliberately tuned too high so that people will be more ok with the final numbers. They've done this enough times that my thoughts just go conspiratorial at this point

Seems likely.

If they cut the reqs in half they'll have only increased the amount of work by 50% while increasing the rewards by 30%! Still a win on their end and it almost seems reasonable!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I don't know if it's bugged or just a really powerful skill, but the new 5* Naga's spellcraft to give the stats of a minion in the tavern to a random minion doesn't go away after thr turn ends.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

GTO posted:

I could see people grinding out the wins on brawls as there are often broken decks with t1-3 finishers.

It's just too dependent on the particular brawl. It's the kind of thing that would range from maybe 30 minutes of play to several hours, and the longer ones tend to be the less fun ones too.

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I don't know if it's bugged or just a really powerful skill, but the new 5* Naga's spellcraft to give the stats of a minion in the tavern to a random minion doesn't go away after thr turn ends.

That's intentional from what I heard. I'm not sure how they thought it was ok to have Fluidity in the game with that minion during testing and didn't remove it until after the patch was out.

It looks like Jandice is still in, so I'm going to try getting a pair of them up to a couple of thousand stats by selling off the rest of my board.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
They need to just delete Brann already. Either you have pretty specifically Helya and another plague card before turn 6, or you just automatically lose to infinite value that you have no ability to do anything about. Reno’s honestly fine! But O have no idea how they thought Brann was going to be okay.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

The Lord of Hats posted:

They need to just delete Brann already. Either you have pretty specifically Helya and another plague card before turn 6, or you just automatically lose to infinite value that you have no ability to do anything about. Reno’s honestly fine! But O have no idea how they thought Brann was going to be okay.

Well most of this thread hates Plague DK for existing because it ruins Warrior’s lunch. Imo I agree with you, there should be *even more* counters for that bullshit.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

The best counter to Brann is better and more efficient Brann.

I reserve the right to redact this opinion at any point in the next 2 years.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Brann is fun.

Edit: Plagues are also fun.

I think the biggest problem, and I'm not sure if that has been a problem for much longer than last expansion, but the matchups are often just polarizing. You queue up with Brann warrior into plagues or wheelock? You might as well just concede. You queue up with Wheelock into Hunter? Concede button is right there.

Oenis fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 17, 2024

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Yeah I've heard it called a rock - paper - scissors meta before. It's like, almost amazing but just not quite once you work out the matchups. The DH nerf will shake the whole thing up though.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

maybe the change to quests and rewards wasn't all bad

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

GTO posted:

The best counter to Brann is better and more efficient Brann.

I reserve the right to redact this opinion at any point in the next 2 years.

This is true. Second best is to pressure them enough that they can't play a 6 mana 2/4.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
After downloading this game again for the first time in many years, I got absolutely stomped in every game with the freebie decks I got thrown at me, most memorably by some absolutely nonsense priest dragon deck that gives you a second turn?

Very memorable, even fun, but no I don't feel like learning this game again, uninstalled again

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Luff posted:

Nailed it

Do they think players don’t remember that they keep doing this?

Context
Sep 11, 2006

quote:

We had seen that many players routinely completed their Weekly Quests through their regular play, without even really engaging with the Weekly Quest system.

I think they'd be surprised what my "regular play" looks like without the weekly quest system

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Also the only time they mentioned they were doing this in the last patch notes was in the bulleted list at the bottom beneath all the random bugfixes, so they had to know that people weren't going to like this. If they thought we would, they would have mentioned it literally anywhere people would notice.

Context
Sep 11, 2006
The only way their statement could have any credulity would be if the rewards had been increased anywhere near proportionately to the increased completion requirements. We all know why they made this change, and it's pretty funny to see them have to defend it without saying that.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I mean they clearly made the change because they wanted people to have to spend more time playing the game to do quests, and that's what they're saying they did

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Just make the weeklies a tiered system.

For instance, play 12/18/24 miniature/mini cards for 2500/3600/4800 XP. They clear and credit the XP either if you maxed it out or when the quests reset on Sunday.
Fudge the numbers a bit until it looks right and fair.

But I guess that's too hard to code for the lone remaining intern.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I haven't played in a while and didn't feel like I played that much when I did, but weeklies were a little undertuned. Like I could play Hearthstone while I drank my coffee before work for 2, maybe 3 days in a row, and easily knock them all out. The change is a stupid overcorrection though. Could have like halved that increase and it would have been sensible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
They would be fine if they were to just play 15 games but winning 15 isn’t a trivial ask for a casual player