Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Nybble posted:

lol, this rips. Turn 1 is a bit tight with the shortened timer on mobile, but you can definitely get the OTK on desktop.

speaking of "better on Desktop" - the Duos Battleground is actually really good if you use the pings and icons to communicate with your partner. It's really well thought out, there's even some indicators for Partner Double/Triple minions if you aren't paying attention to their screen, so it might be okay even passively paying attention. Definitely give it a shot, especially if regular BG is a bit boring.

Nybble fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
i'm really enjoying Duos

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Pro tip for pings on mobile in Duos: You have to use a two-finger tap for the menu to come up.

Also my partner came up with a mechanism to print massive minions every round with golden Orc-estra, Brann, and the Naga/Dragon spell craft to activate battlecries. They were creating 300/300s every round and sending them over to me. Absurd

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Ladders been feeling like endless Warriors and DKs so Wheel Warlock has been on a tear for me

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Why is the Naga giant there? You can spending mana on spells this brawl?

Just another option to hit with pendant for the heal, but yeah, guess it's cuttable.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

EDIT: Wrong thread

I will say though, I’ve made my own spin on elemental shaman and it’s been quite fun playing and beating top tier decks with it. Shudderblock into Kalimos for 18 face damage never gets old when I can pull it off

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Orc-Estra Conductor should probably grow per guy rather than per trigger. wasn't a super long game either

(ended up at +220-something)

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Whelp didn’t finish my weeklies this week, gently caress me for not playing according to the new HS schedule

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Disargeria posted:

Whelp didn’t finish my weeklies this week, gently caress me for not playing according to the new HS schedule

you should still have nine more hours, and apparently the requirements were dropped on the backend even if there needs to be another patch to change the text in the quest pane

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
don't think i'll play 32 mini cards this week lol. insane they did this. probably won't win 10 games either. didn't finish all 3 last week either. if i did i wouldn't play 32 loving minicards.

also, just remove the double zilliax module. change it to... i don't care. all it's there is to combo with stealth and be unfun.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

On the plus side, winning 10 tavern brawls was basically a coin toss and a couple of seconds APM'ing like crazy.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

That weird, pretty sure my weeklies last week were just the normal ones?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Whether it’s good or not, losing matches because a Stealth Zillax doubled itself then got Windfury is incredibly uninteresting. There’s so few meaningful ways to interact.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah Virus Rogue has to be on their radar as a future nerf contender.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

If you kill that Zilliax though Virus Rogue has no plan B

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Disargeria posted:

Yep. I know I'm an addict but between this and Duels going away I can't think of a time I was less happy with the game.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I'll probs finish up all the quests in an hour or so. Takes like 3-4 hours total? Just about doubles the time to do them. The win 10 in Ranked is bullshit for people who don't have good decks.

Anyway have a new deck:

### DB DK Head
# Class: Death Knight
# Format: Wild
#
# 2x (1) Irondeep Trogg
# 2x (1) Staff of the Primus
# 2x (2) Cult Neophyte
# 2x (2) Dirty Rat
# 2x (2) Distressed Kvaldir
# 2x (2) Down with the Ship
# 2x (2) Far Watch Post
# 2x (3) Chillfallen Baron
# 2x (3) Coldlight Oracle
# 1x (4) Helya
# 1x (4) Maw and Paw
# 2x (4) Tomb Traitor
# 1x (5) Loatheb
# 1x (5) Magatha, Bane of Music
# 1x (6) The Headless Horseman
# 1x (7) Mutanus the Devourer
# 1x (7) Patchwerk
# 1x (8) The Primus
# 2x (11) Chained Guardian
#
AAEBAfHhBAj6DqbvA+bkBZP7Be3/BYuSBr2xBq/0Bgv4B/foA+GkBIf2BPX3BYL4BfL4Bbv5Bev/BdCeBtGeBgAA
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah Virus Rogue has to be on their radar as a future nerf contender.

Any nerf would kill this deck. Currently it falls like a house of cards against any hard removal - it's frustrating to play against when it highrolls, but it's nowhere near overpowered.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Imo it should be nerfed/killed because that kind of deck just shouldn't exist in the game. Plenty of other fun and interesting combos in the game.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Szarrukin posted:

Any nerf would kill this deck.

Good!!!

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

GTO posted:

That weird, pretty sure my weeklies last week were just the normal ones?

the patch that changed them was on tuesday the 16th, so if you busted last week's out on monday or early tuesday they would've been the normal ones

and right now they display at the ridiculously high values like 15 wins, but server-side they're the new, very slightly less ridiculous values like 10 wins, and will complete when you hit those values even though the client-side UI still shows the higher ones

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
I had been grinding a Plague Deathknight deck towards legend and constantly bouncing between ranks 1-3 in diamond, and then I decided to just craft the last couple of rares for a Zilliax Rogue deck and hit legend in only an hour or two more. It's really hard to deal with for other players outside of racing for lethal and hoping the Rogue doesn't don't draw enough of the right components in time.

Killing Zilliax is a lot easier said than done when it's not only ~7 health with stealth and elusive, but also has reborn so killing it just resets the clock on its growth until you do it a second time. If you don't kill it twice in one turn the Rogue player might get a reborn sparkbot to give it another shot anyway, if not divine shield. The Zilliax will usually hit the board on turn 4 (3 with coin) too, so however you plan to kill it needs to not cost much mana on top of drawing it early.

The most absurd part of the deck is definitely pulling a windfury sparkbot, it's not consistent but if you pull it the game is just over. If you don't want the deck concept to be completely shut down then the windfury sparkbot would have to be replaced at the very least. Stalling out the perfect draw scenarios by increasing the mana cost of the "double attack" Zilliax component would probably help a lot without killing the deck completely, Zilliax being on the board already when you hit 4 mana is pretty hosed.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

I've lost a few to the rogue deck and sap was the problem for me. Without untargeted removal a taunt minion is your best defence but they can just sap it, twice in a row in my case. I always thought sap was a druid card, had to look it up just now to see that it's a rogue one.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
whooooo, time to burn down the entire meta lol

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/hearthstone/t/dev-insights%E2%80%94upcoming-card-adjustments/126720

quote:

Hey everyone!

We’ve got a really big balance patch planned for later this week, with changes to around 30 cards, including buffs and nerfs—and a few Wild changes. Since this patch has different goals from most other patches, I’d like to provide you all with some more context as to what we’re thinking and how we got here.

In this patch, we are attempting to address issues which have cropped up with the overall health of Standard, as opposed to correcting issues with the health of the specific meta like we normally do. Alarm bells started to go off within the design team when we noticed that the power level of Hearthstone didn’t seem to drop much (if at all) after the recent annual rotation. This sparked a lot of internal discussion about certain gameplay patterns in the current meta – particularly hyper-efficient AoE board clears, “OTK” style decks that lack sufficient counterplay, and powerful Legendary cards like Zarimi, Reno Lone Ranger, and Wheel of Death, which tend to either end the game on the spot or create such a dramatic swing in the game state that the game can feel like it is effectively over. While these cards are a lot of fun for the players playing with them, it was clear that those playing against these cards often felt they had little agency in their ability to affect the outcome of the game.

Increasing the overall feeling of player agency is our key focus with this patch, and it will continue to be our key focus in future patches until it feels like the trend of powerful low-agency cards and archetypes has been reversed. We think it’s fine for there to be exciting, dreamy, and lower-agency cards in the game, but not if they’re also the most powerful cards in the game.

In the latest expansion, too many of these lower-agency designs were allowed to become powerful meta contenders. As the lead of Final Design, it’s ultimately my responsibility to make sure that doesn’t happen. We hope that this upcoming patch will be a big step towards course-correcting a few of these mistakes, and that by closely monitoring feedback from our players after big changes like this, the game will be a great spot for future expansions in the Year of the Pegasus.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
not only that but they're also hitting like every minion in battlegrounds

https://twitter.com/PlayHearthstone/status/1782816717736972319?t=OxDM9e1FQO1YTfBSwo9WCg&s=19

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

I’m so happy about this, this has probably been the most destructive expansion for the long-term health of the game since they did the Stormwind quests

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Balance changes sound like a good idea. Its got a bit like solitaire where the decks are fun but there isn't enough counter play. Just hope there are still some fun decks left afterwards.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Weirdly this month I ended up enjoying the power and simplicity of the current meta decks that I ended up jamming dragon priest enough that I accidentally hit legend with it and now (less successfully) have been running painlock post legend. So by personal metrics it’s been a great meta. Fine with getting a bunch of refund dust and some new things to experiment with next month though. Just hope they don’t manage to leave something strong untouched by mistake and have to do an immediate 3rd round of changes

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

GTO posted:

Balance changes sound like a good idea. Its got a bit like solitaire where the decks are fun but there isn't enough counter play. Just hope there are still some fun decks left afterwards.

I agree with this. I think the meta would really benefit from a full balance patch, so while this is daunting, I think it’s long term very healthy

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Burn it all down, Standard has been miserable IMO.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

boy you weren't kidding about BGs, that's A LOT of cards

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Firebert posted:

I’m so happy about this, this has probably been the most destructive expansion for the long-term health of the game since they did the Stormwind quests

This feels like an overreaction

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
This meta isn’t nearly as bad as Stormwind, but that’s a low bar

That blue post is interesting because it indicates a complete philosophical adjustment rather than tinkering around the edges and hitting outliers. Maybe we can finally get off the “nerf the best deck, everything else moves up in rank” carousel for an expansion or two.

I wonder if we’ll see any complete reworks as opposed to number adjustments. They very rarely do that, but it’s tough to imagine them getting where they say they want to be by just turning their usual knobs.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.

bravesword posted:

This meta isn’t nearly as bad as Stormwind, but that’s a low bar

Agree, Stormwind was too linear with the feed-forward quest rewards and the solitaire nature of them.

I feel like they have a lot of interesting and theoretically balanced cards in the current Standard meta, but maybe too much variance? Even if I have a 55% win rate, the 45% of the time losing to repeated Sunset Volleys from tentacles or two turn 4 7/7s from Forge of Wills, or an Odyn Warrior that curved their early armor and removals... it just feels bad.

Another advocate here for Casual Wild.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

I wonder if they'll do :

Wheel of Death - damages both players until one dies - so they can race you for health and it only works as a counter to extreme control decks.

Rogue zilliax - only stealth for one turn.

Reno hero - wipe both sides or something thematic like leave one minion on each side (like an actual standoff). Maybe remove limitation on next turn play or change to 'you can only play 1 minion' vs only room for one.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

GTO posted:

I wonder if they'll do :

Wheel of Death - damages both players until one dies - so they can race you for health and it only works as a counter to extreme control decks.

Reno hero - wipe both sides or something thematic like leave one minion on each side (like an actual standoff). Maybe remove limitation on next turn play or change to 'you can only play 1 minion' vs only room for one.

My big bet for wheel of death; make it so it triggers on the OPPONENTS turn, not yours (extra turn to counter, gets rid of Drakkari shenanigans in wild). Reno yeah, I'm expecting 'clear both sides' would be a fair thing.
Timewinder, I'd expect either more dragons to activate, cost increase, or both. It's too easy to fire off.

For the wild changes, I am absolutely hoping that Time Warp and (possibly) Ice Block are once per game effects; And that the effect of Shadestone Skulker should, realistically, only trigger once, even with Snowfall in place. I'm not sure Naval Mine alone is the right card to target. (Comedy option, though, make Naval Mine target both heroes). Floop should probably refresh, rather than gain mana, so you don't have stupid 70 mana turns.

Olpainless fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Apr 24, 2024

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

GTO posted:

I wonder if they'll do :

The deck already runs a bunch of the magnetic spider bots to allow for swinging to clear taunts or hit face before stealthing back up, so that wouldn't do a whole lot. The spark bots can roll non-duration stealth too.

Making wheel of death inflict damage instead of killing the player makes the identity of the card a lot more boring. I would assume that the simplest nerf would be to extend the turn timer before it kills you, but that would actually require their art department to redo the wheel for the animation so that seems unlikely. I'm kind of curious if it would still be a remotely viable card if it destroyed the other player's deck too instead of killing them.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

wheel of death to 10, delays wheel lock and kills tentacle abuse in one stroke

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Were people really complaining about tentacle decks?? What in the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

ferroque posted:

Were people really complaining about tentacle decks?? What in the world

Yeah I don't know about tentacles, I don't think they are too powerful at any rank?