Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
idk if people were complaining about them but they do fall under the umbrella of "just do anything without caring what your opponent plays"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Tendrils are supposed to be “lol random” cards, but the fact that there are only two tens and one of those tens is Sunset Volley makes them too consistent a win condition.

Ironically, you could kill them stone dead by buffing Sunset Volley to nine mana.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
On one hand, tentacles take up so much of that mini-set and they were so useless historically that I'm just happy they do something.

On the other hand... yeah, it is a pretty annoying play pattern.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Spending the entire game playing 10+ tendrils is super slow and unreliable, IMO it is totally fine as it is. Maybe it is a problem in warrior? (don't actually know)

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
You don’t actually play ten Tendrils, you play four or five in conjunction with Brann or Shudderblock, plus Projectionist and Zola to make more once you’re fully charged.

It’s fine as a meme, but I don’t think you want it being all that competitive/inevitable.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.
Playing against Tentacles in Standard is kind of a "Well, there's a 55+% chance I win or 45-% chance they'll spam me with a bunch of sunset volleys and nothing I do matters".

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Well, I know that, but my point is the problem is still Bran. I honestly don't know if Shudder/tendrils are a problem either, haven't played much standard recently.
Inevitability is fine as long as it takes effort, time and deckbuilding to achieve it. Also needs to be disruptable. Wheel is a problem because once it is played there's nothing you can do other than "Kill them first" and the drawback is often negligible. Odyin is the same although slightly better because at least you can run rat and taunts to a lesser degree.

I've always thought that (good) OTKs shouldn't be a thing in HS because the game lacks interactivity so they lead to awful gameplay and no player agency (as the devs are stating in the post).

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Chernabog posted:

Inevitability is fine as long as it takes effort, time and deckbuilding to achieve it.

Sure, but when it comes to tendrils it's not really "inevitability" as much as an extremely limited pool of random effects. It's a card intended for wacky random Yoggish fun rather than multiple Pyroblasts to the face every turn

I don't think tendril decks are powerful or popular enough to warrant immediate action, but I agree they're frustrating to face

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Oh look another Pogohopper Brawl. Goes great with Gearshift, although I did lose to a Breakdance variant (because I mostly drew gearshifts)

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Pogohopper - cute

My opener is embiggen embiggen embiggen patches. Have fun!

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Firebert posted:

Pogohopper - cute

Haha, goddamn

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Just got 56 damage on turn 2. Good brawl, would play over noblegarden eggs every time

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Firebert posted:

Pogohopper - cute

yeah that's my go-to for this brawl

everybody just concedes

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Firebert posted:

Pogohopper - cute

lol this ruled

felt bad for the Staff of Primus / 2-mana plague spell DK I just beat

### Brawl Deck
# 1x (0) Embiggen
# 1x (1) Patches the Pirate
#
AAEBAbSKAwKRvAL7rQMAAAA=

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
Got my rear end kicked by Pounce + Spread The Word and then used that for a win because it's just two commons. It's potentially a 1TKO if you could spam through the card and draw animations fast enough.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

Vanguard Warden posted:

Got my rear end kicked by Pounce + Spread The Word and then used that for a win because it's just two commons. It's potentially a 1TKO if you could spam through the card and draw animations fast enough.

I was only able to get 10 pounces off on T1 on mobile. I think it's totally doable with the full turn time though.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Here's an interesting tidbit I learned through this week's brawl:

According to how Flik Skyshiv works, both parts of a miniaturize card are the same card.
Fliking the big one also removes all the small ones (haven't tested vice versa though, but I assume it'd work the same).

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

mcbexx posted:

Here's an interesting tidbit I learned through this week's brawl:

According to how Flik Skyshiv works, both parts of a miniaturize card are the same card.
Fliking the big one also removes all the small ones (haven't tested vice versa though, but I assume it'd work the same).

Flik works on card name.
Really funny to see with the Demon hunter corrupt weapon/ minion.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
https://hearthstone.blizzard.com/en-us/news/24087317

highlights:

- highlander cards are now "if your deck started with no duplicates" :eyepop: (but reno costs 9)
- boomboss now shuffles bombs into opponent's deck
- time warp is once per game
- sunset volley is 9 mana
- wheel of death is slower
- snake oil costs 1

peer fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 25, 2024

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
So the only 10 cost spell is now the aoe lol

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

rip tentacles regardless lmao

I feel like nature shaman is still ridiculously strong? 3 mana flash and 6 mana crash don't really do it imo

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Pretty decent all in all. Should make Wild less annoying.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
did... did they just buffed bran?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

yeah Brann is no longer countered by plagues

lol

lmao

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
looks like brann warrior is back in the menu, boys

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
My first thought on the reno change was more "oh cool plagues don't deactivate my reno anymore" and less "oof I cannot run any 2-ofs"

I really like the changes overall, shoutout to the changes to wild cards too. It will be a good dust feast.

I don't really feel like tentacles were a huge issue though, dunno why they had to be nerfed.

edit: also I will some day be able to run a druid abomination that runs reno and the new jade card :)

Oenis fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 25, 2024

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Also the sunset volley "buff" that basically killed tentacle warrior.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Brand’s payoffs are pretty crippled now. Tentacles are dead as hell and Boomboss is not reliable at all. Control will probably just go back to Odyn.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
They hit almost every deck I play except rainbow death knight, gonna be a fun weekend for me.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Yes, Brann himself is buffed (but only against specifically Plagues), but a lot of his support is weakened. You can no longer Boomboss/Gatekeeper on the same turn, even with Audio Amplifier, and Sanitize, Trial By Fire, and Reno being slower makes pressuring them a lot more feasible.

(It’s been months and it’s still crazy to me that they thought Trial was okay at six. It’s substantially better than Scale of Onyxia, a card that was already a little too good at blunting aggression.)

I’m happy with most of these changes in a vacuum, although I’m now uncertain what the format even looks like. Pretty much everything that was strong took heavy nerfs, so you don’t have much of a baseline anymore.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Excelzior posted:

yeah Brann is no longer countered by plagues

lol

lmao

I sincerely can’t believe they’ve done this. Get ready for every loving game to be a Highlander game

Fake edit: these nerfs really don’t seem to be opening up any space for other decks but merely going to continue the trend of the “unhit meta decks become the meta,” so, Gaslight Rogue and Rainbow DK?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

gaslight got hit (gaslight itself in fact, goes to 4) and rainbow too - nerfs to Threads and to Sickly Grimewalker means you will no longer be able to clear the board at will quite as easily

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

i'm curious if they will update the older highlander cards in the same fashion, because the patch notes specifically single out the Badlands highlander cards - but the problem they describe is just as applicable in Wild decks (to varying extents)

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
they hyped it like the second coming of Thrall and delivered yet another "kill meta decks" update.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Gaslight Rogue’s key card got nerfed and it loses to anything aggressive as it is. Rainbow DK is going to be seriously hampered by the nerfs to Grimewalker and Threads — a lot of the boards it could previously easily clear, it no longer can.

If a preexisting deck walks in and claims the throne, that deck was like tier 3 before. No existing deck seems good just from dodging nerfs.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

bravesword posted:

Yes, Brann himself is buffed (but only against specifically Plagues), but a lot of his support is weakened. You can no longer Boomboss/Gatekeeper on the same turn, even with Audio Amplifier

Even if you could, it would no longer does anything because the dynamites go into your opponents deck. I'm not really sure why they felt the need to hit the gatekeeper anyway, it wasn't really played outside of Warrior, was it?

Szarrukin posted:

they hyped it like the second coming of Thrall and delivered yet another "kill meta decks" update.

kill them all until only the river croc meta reigns supreme

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Szarrukin posted:

At least they were a bit more draconian in hitting nearly all the meta decks

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
They even hit Sif mage by making Snake Oil cost 1 instead of 0 lol

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

"Music is the truth. Just listen..."
Yeeeeeees time warp mage and mine rogue got gutted

Good fuckin riddance

Also yay Zok got buffed, I always liked that card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Admittedly, Thorgrim *was* my most hated part of facing Brann Warrior, so I can tentatively accept that it might be okay even though I can no longer turn off Brann. I still think he’s a card they’re going to end up nerfing or banning, unless they’re okay with not printing good battlecroes in Warrior or Neutral for the next year.

I’d kind of rather have had Helya and Brann both disappear than this.