Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

fanny packrat posted:

Or disrupt their combo...

with? there's one playable disruption card in Standard right now which is Dirty Rat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Gaining 30 amour and 30 attack at the same time and killing them is a kind of disruption, when you think about it

Powered Armor
May 5, 2023
I've heard it said that without Charge, Taunt is kind of a meaningless keyword, and I agree with that. They should still use it sparingly and I think it only blew up as an "issue" recently with Paladin handbuff, but I'd rather have it in the game than not.

I've been watching more top streamers and browsing through the hsguru decks, and here's a couple I've been having fun with lately. First up is Zarimi Priest:

### Zarimi Priest
# Class: Priest
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Pegasus
#
# 2x (1) Crimson Clergy
# 2x (1) Funnel Cake
# 2x (1) Giftwrapped Whelp
# 2x (1) Glacial Shard
# 2x (1) Miracle Salesman
# 2x (1) Ship's Chirurgeon
# 2x (2) Celestial Projectionist
# 2x (2) Dreamboat
# 2x (2) Power Chord: Synchronize
# 2x (2) Scale Replica
# 2x (2) Whelp Wrangler
# 1x (3) Pip the Potent
# 1x (5) Magatha, Bane of Music
# 1x (5) Timewinder Zarimi
# 1x (6) Harth Stonebrew
# 2x (6) Thirsty Drifter
# 1x (7) Aman'Thul
# 1x (0) Zilliax Deluxe 3000
# 1x (0) Zilliax Deluxe 3000
# 1x (3) Pylon Module
# 1x (5) Ticking Module
#
AAECAaSrBAbm5AXP9gWknQbHpAbpqAbmqQYMougDyMYFu8cFoukF44AGhY4GxpwG8ZwG054G6qgG66gG3PMGAAED87MGx6QG9rMGx6QG7d4Gx6QGAAA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

I just went 8-0 with this to hit D5 and it's a lot better than the list I was playing only a few days ago. You can recover surprisingly well from an empty hand and board with Magatha and/or PC:S/Projectionist on Magatha, or even Harth Stonebrew. I won a game against a Tendril Warrior that went to T15 or so when I got the Stonebrew hand that had the "Everyone, get in here!" guys because you also get the guy that gives them Charge. Zilliax is cost reduction and +1/+1 to everything. The list I copied had Leeroy instead of Harth, but I prefer Harth.

And here's Hero Power Druid Plus Spell Power:

### Spell Hero
# Class: Druid
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Pegasus
#
# 1x (0) Innervate
# 2x (1) Free Spirit
# 2x (1) Lesser Jasper Spellstone
# 2x (1) Magical Dollhouse
# 2x (1) Peaceful Piper
# 1x (2) Bloodmage Thalnos
# 2x (2) Bottomless Toy Chest
# 2x (2) Gold Panner
# 2x (2) Groovy Cat
# 2x (2) Popular Pixie
# 2x (2) Sing-Along Buddy
# 2x (3) Frost Lotus Seedling
# 1x (3) Photographer Fizzle
# 2x (3) Swipe
# 2x (4) Spread the Word
# 2x (6) Doomkin
# 1x (8) Joymancer Jepetto
#
AAECAc6LBQSunwSXoASs0QXJwQYN/N8FiuAFkeAFqeAFo+kF2/oFzoAGzpwGlLEG2bEGorMG9+UG+OUGAAA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

It's really not a good deck but I enjoy playing it. The Spellstones are for Taunts and they're usually not enough (even with the Swipes) but sometimes they'll get you there. This deck does well against Sif Mage, which is one of the best decks now it seems, but it dies to most other stuff. The Doomkins are a flex slot. I forget what was there originally but I didn't like it, and Doomkin is very good against slow decks.

Now that I'm D5 I might go back to my Wishing Rogue deck and see if I can make some more refinements. I tried making a Reno Rogue as well and it inexplicably won its first three games, but I don't think it's very good unfortunately. Reno Mage might be interesting too but I don't think it's very good either. Better than Rogue though.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

Julio Cruz posted:

with? there's one playable disruption card in Standard right now which is Dirty Rat

There aren't really any strong OTK decks right now though, so what's the problem? If any do get powerful and popular enough to make it worth teching against them there's Neophyte, Speaker Stomper, secrets demon, Muck Plumber Trapdoor Spider, Dead Air, and probably more that I'm forgetting.

And, yes, those aren't "playable" now (Neophyte and Stomper see some play), but part of why is because there's no deck worth countering with them. If that changes, there are options beyond the best one (which remains to pressure the combo deck so hard that they die or spend combo pieces surviving).

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

fanny packrat posted:

There aren't really any strong OTK decks right now though, so what's the problem?

I know it's been days since handbuff paladin got nerfed but it's still something to include in conversation

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Not that it was ever a real tech card, but Muck Plumber rotated.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Mostly loses to aggro, I did not come up with the name. You build big Floppy's and go face basically. I just killed a druid with a 38/34 thanks to Maxima:

### Fwoppy Hydwa
# Class: Hunter
# Format: Wild
#
# 2x (0) Devouring Swarm
# 2x (0) Smuggler's Crate
# 2x (1) Flare
# 2x (1) The Beast Within
# 2x (1) Tracking
# 2x (2) Always a Bigger Jormungar
# 2x (2) Arcane Quiver
# 2x (2) Castle Kennels
# 2x (2) Doggie Biscuit
# 2x (2) Fetch!
# 2x (2) Goblin Prank
# 2x (2) Scavenger's Ingenuity
# 2x (2) Ten Gallon Hat
# 1x (3) Floppy Hydra
# 1x (3) Revive Pet
# 1x (6) Beaststalker Tavish
# 1x (6) Maxima Blastenheimer
#
AAEBAa/XAwSS4wPbkQTXowSXuAYNgAfnvQKC/QLUiwP/ugOU/APDgASpnwTS5ASNkgWZ9gW+nAbqpQYAAA==
#

Desert Bus fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 30, 2024

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Was Patchwerk part of the core set they give you access to but you don't own? I had him and had been using him forever, now that he rotated I don't.

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Yes, Patchwerk was core. Now it's in the Legacy set

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah I think so, I just tried to make a wild deck with selective breeder but don't have them anymore, I thought they were from an older set that then became part of the core (so I was very annoyed because I thought they'd been "stolen" from me) but apparently they were introduced as a cord card that year and so I didn't ever really "own" them.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

flatluigi posted:

I know it's been days since handbuff paladin got nerfed but it's still something to include in conversation

I guess, it was never really oppressive in my pocket meta. I was also never OTKed by it, mostly because games were decided way before they could get that many buffs on a minion and have mana to play it with windfury. It's also funny that one of the best counters to it could OTK reliably around turn 6, because handbuff's early game could just be ignored.

I had no idea Muck Plumber rotated! The only reason I even remembered it existed was its presence as a summon from Chaos Creation.

Powered Armor
May 5, 2023
My Zarimi Priest is still going strong. I'm glad this is the only good deck the class has at the moment.

Highlander decks feel bad to play because of all the DK around. It must be the most popular class by far even though it's not very good. Are there any high roll Hunter decks? There used to be one where you copied a King Krush or something and did a heap of damage from hand. I want something new to toy around with.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Got an Origami Frog off of a Webspinner and man, it feels good stealing all of Fanottem's attack power. Might just add this to my Buff Hunter deck as a tech piece.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Powered Armor posted:

I want something new to toy around with.

Well, given the expansion, that's appropriate.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Lumbermouth posted:

Got an Origami Frog off of a Webspinner and man, it feels good stealing all of Fanottem's attack power. Might just add this to my Buff Hunter deck as a tech piece.

Both thief beasts are unreasonably good and are kind of the reason beast hunter sort of works

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Personally, I like the name change from "Deathrattle" to "Jeffrattle".

https://hearthstone.blizzard.com/en-us/news/24064740/29-n0-patch-notes

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

given that the ogre skin was datamined earlier it might actually be the "real change slipped into the april fool's notes" they've done in recent years

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Battlegrounds Octuples hell yeah

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Excelzior posted:

given that the ogre skin was datamined earlier it might actually be the "real change slipped into the april fool's notes" they've done in recent years

Yeah, it’s definitely the “we really did give Worgen Greaser +1 health, lol” change

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
any predictions for the inevitable umpire's grasp nerf?

- 4 mana?
- 2/3 instead of 3/2?
- reduce demon cost by 1 rather than 2?
- other text change (e.g "draw a minion" rather than "a demon")?

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
I dunno, but it’s going to be frustrating, because Umpire’s Grasp and Window Shopper are propping up DH to a degree I don’t think I’ve ever seen. If they nerf one or both of them into unplayability, you might as well delete the whole class.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Shopper feels really janky and swingy and if it dies I hope it's replaced by something that's actually fun to play.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

bravesword posted:

If they nerf one or both of them into unplayability, you might as well delete the whole class.

a.k.a. "the Paladin nerf"

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

the best nerf would be to add a middling neutral Demon to Core, diluting the discover pool ever so slightly

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Make it so it just discovers a 1/1 version of a demon and produce new cute art of every demon card as toys.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Excelzior posted:

the best nerf would be to add a middling neutral Demon to Core, diluting the discover pool ever so slightly

This is probably the best idea, it doesn’t even necessarily need to be middling, but the pool is so small that it’s hard to not get at least one Mag, and a few games I’ve seen three.

The most satisfying win I’ve gotten in a while was against a DH as a rainbow DK, I kept the two lifesteal/freeze maces in my opening hand and discovered another and just kept him frozen the entire time, gently caress youUuuuUUUUuuuu

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Excelzior posted:

That’s another thing; Window Shopper is the kind of card that gets materially worse as the discover pool expands and the powerful hits become less likely, so it feels silly to proactively nerf it

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

bravesword posted:

That’s another thing; Window Shopper is the kind of card that gets materially worse as the discover pool expands and the powerful hits become less likely, so it feels silly to proactively nerf it

“Guys just endure a few more months of DH having a board full of premium 6/5 demons by turn 6 it will be fine after that I swear”

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Just take Magtheridon out of the discover pool imo. The Inquisitor and Abyssal thing are good but not especially unstoppable.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Sandwolf posted:

Just take Magtheridon out of the discover pool imo. The Inquisitor and Abyssal thing are good but not especially unstoppable.

Or take Window Shopper itself out of the pool.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Valiantman posted:

Or take Window Shopper itself out of the pool.

Window Shopper cannot pull Window Shopper from Window Shopper’s discover pool.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

What’s this DH deck? I’ve never really played much of that class and wouldn’t mind trying it for reasons…

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
2x window shopper
2x umpire’s glove
26 other cards, they largely do not matter

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

omg chael crash posted:

What’s this DH deck? I’ve never really played much of that class and wouldn’t mind trying it for reasons…

I dunno why you'd bother making and learning a deck that's almost certainly going to get its loving kneecaps broken in a week or so

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

omg chael crash posted:

This is the one I play:

AAECAea5AwSU1AT0yAWongbHpAYNuMUF2dAF5OQFsvUFuf4FhY4GjZAG6Z4G7Z8GvrAGv7AGw7AGzLEGAAED87MGx6QG9rMGx6QG6N4Gx6QGAAA=

but there are all sorts of slight variations

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
there's also a reno version (which still runs double grasp, double shopper)

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Window Shopper isn't the problem card. On its own the card isn't even worth running in standard. It's just when you consistently discount and draw it that it becomes broken.

My balance guess is either Umpire's Grasp gets nerfed to 4 mana, or the mana discount goes from 2 to 1.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

I dunno why you'd bother making and learning a deck that's almost certainly going to get its loving kneecaps broken in a week or so

Just to gently caress around for a bit and try something new. I almost exclusively play Paladin and Warrior, and I wasn’t around when DH came out

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Orange Crush Rush posted:

“Guys just endure a few more months of DH having a board full of premium 6/5 demons by turn 6 it will be fine after that I swear”

The card is going to be legal for two years. If you take it out back and shoot it now, it’s just another worthless epic clogging up your packs.

I just really hate the new balance philosophy of “anything that’s good gets immediately killed.” The pattern of the best deck always being whatever dodged nerfs in the last patch, with everything better being obliterated, is getting old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

What about the fact that no matter what nerfs happen Odyn Warrior stays Tier 1, why’s no one care about that!