Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
I just came here to say that I absolutely hate the "let's check what's the main deck people whine about on r/hearthstone, take said deck behind a barn and shoot it in the head" nerf policy, because that's exactly how we get situations like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Window Shopper isn't the problem card. On its own the card isn't even worth running in standard. It's just when you consistently discount and draw it that it becomes broken.

My balance guess is either Umpire's Grasp gets nerfed to 4 mana, or the mana discount goes from 2 to 1.

The very limited demon pool doesn’t help either

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Nerf umpire shopper now, unnerf it next expansion when the demon pool is larger and getting good demons is less consistent. Getting not one but two 3 mana 6/5 as early as they do, on top of 2 free hellfires on a highroll so you can't counterdevelop is just busted. At least add a mana cost here or there or reduce the stats of shopper.

Edit: On that note I can also see the 4 mana 5/7 Zilliax combination that doubles its attack every turn become a nerfworthy problem. It's very hard to deal with on curve for most decks right now.

Oenis fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 2, 2024

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.
One fun thing about playing ranked Standard "casually", using Achievement decks or Kibler decks or homebrew, is that I can get a good feel for rank floors and see which decks are all-out brutal to anyone not running tier 1 netdecks. I can also see outliers who make for frustrating, swingy Non-Games and which decks become so "good" they eventually move into the upper ranks entirely.

Paladin was definitely high, but it only needed one of Shroomscavate or Deputization Aura nerfed, not both. Odyn's nerf to 9 lowered it marginally, but the underlying problem of a huge swing correlated with heavy protection still exists. Warlock isn't necessarily overpowered but when it gets the draw and has two 7/7 or better on turn 4, it can be polarizing.

Demon Hunter has been covered extensively here, but it could be that it will be taken out back and shot rather than reasonably nerfed.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
turn 6 wheel of death + fanottem + double 15/15 rushes into turn 7 reno. thank you very cool

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
What’s discounting Wheel by two there?

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Shockeh posted:

What’s discounting Wheel by two there?

doomkin

edit: though hang on that doesn't add up, you're right. checking the replay the wheel was turn 7, not 6

edit: my next game i took 35 from hand (without coin) against a shaman on turn 6 (without crash of thunder)(he had 1 mana left when he started playing spells). i'm done for now

peer fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 2, 2024

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

peer posted:

turn 6 wheel of death + fanottem + double 15/15 rushes into turn 7 reno. thank you very cool

I was lucky when facing that today - got them down to 6 life when they pulled that trick on Turn 7. The heart of the cards was with me: Primus showed up on Turn 8 and destroyed it. They conceded immediately.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Oenis posted:

Nerf umpire shopper now, unnerf it next expansion when the demon pool is larger and getting good demons is less consistent. Getting not one but two 3 mana 6/5 as early as they do, on top of 2 free hellfires on a highroll so you can't counterdevelop is just busted. At least add a mana cost here or there or reduce the stats of shopper.

Don't forget sometimes they hit the Abyssal Bassist and get a 3 mana 6/5 and a 1 mana 6/5 lifesteal taunt turn 4!

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
If they don’t wanna nerf DH that’s fine by me, farmed them with rainbow DK all night

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Blockhouse posted:

I dunno why you'd bother making and learning a deck that's almost certainly going to get its loving kneecaps broken in a week or so

Finding the current most broken deck and rinsing it out before it gets nerfed or countered is the quintessential hearthstone experience.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Blockhouse posted:

I dunno why you'd bother making and learning a deck that's almost certainly going to get its loving kneecaps broken in a week or so

Sooner you hit your whatever rank you care about the sooner you can muck around with a wider range of decks.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Don't forget sometimes they hit the Abyssal Bassist and get a 3 mana 6/5 and a 1 mana 6/5 lifesteal taunt turn 4!

1 mana 1/1. It copies mini Window Shopper's stats.

But speaking of Demon Hunter, how are people actually succeeding with that deck? I have most of the demon hunter cards in standard and crafted the Shoppers because I like discovery decks. I have now played like 10 games while I started to climb and I cannot get out of silver with 6 star bonus which makes my win percentage like 16.

It seems too slow to beat warlocks and has too little output to beat warriors. Hunters are okay if I draw lot a of cheap board clear. If it makes any difference, I'm playing a highlander version.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Valiantman posted:

The Bassist in the example is 1 mana because the demon hunter has played a weapon

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Valiantman posted:

But speaking of Demon Hunter, how are people actually succeeding with that deck? I have most of the demon hunter cards in standard and crafted the Shoppers because I like discovery decks. I have now played like 10 games while I started to climb and I cannot get out of silver with 6 star bonus which makes my win percentage like 16.

It seems too slow to beat warlocks and has too little output to beat warriors. Hunters are okay if I draw lot a of cheap board clear. If it makes any difference, I'm playing a highlander version.

From what I understand, it's mostly that highlander DH also runs two copies of Umpire's Grasp and two copies of Window Shopper because turn 3 weapon into turn 4 Window Shopper into turn 5 four mana version of a big demon is such an important power spike for them right now. People weren't kidding when they said they were being propped up by that combo.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 3, 2024

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

You gotta treat the aggro version of the deck like face hunter. You want a early turn to snowball off, the 2/1 mech into a free 1 drop mech, into a instrument tech into umpires grasp is ideal, mulligan hard for the weapon or the tutor.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Valiantman posted:

You're probably mulliganing wrong. The cards you keep are instrument tech and umpire's grasp. Literally never keep any other cards besides those two and your winrate will improve

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Until you mulligan away some 2 drops and get both Window Shoppers in your hand

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Sandwolf posted:

Until you mulligan away some 2 drops and get both Window Shoppers in your hand

sure, it sucks to get your dead draws, but in decks like this where so much of the power level comes from just one or two cards, your winrate over time improves if you're as aggressive as possible looking for those cards in the mulligan

it's also why for most Reno decks you keep Reno in your opening hand. It doesn't matter that you can't play the card for 7 turns because it's so far and away the strongest card in your deck that your winrate is still noticeably higher than if you look for a better curve

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

sure, it sucks to get your dead draws, but in decks like this where so much of the power level comes from just one or two cards, your winrate over time improves if you're as aggressive as possible looking for those cards in the mulligan

it's also why for most Reno decks you keep Reno in your opening hand. It doesn't matter that you can't play the card for 7 turns because it's so far and away the strongest card in your deck that your winrate is still noticeably higher than if you look for a better curve

Oh I was not arguing with your advice. You always mulligan for weapon or weapon tutor. It’s just funny when you do so and get the window shoppers back.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Looks like Battlegrounds Duos launches next week.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Completely normal 5 turn game. Nothing to see here.

https://hsreplay.net/replay/cDd7dgmrAH6SGk4b7Hz2FY

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

battlegrounds season 7 is announced https://hearthstone.blizzard.com/en-us/news/24064742/announcing-battlegrounds-season-7

duos coming, quests rotate out, spells are staying in going forward, reveals over the next few days, patch notes april 11th, release april 16th

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Firebert posted:

If they don’t wanna nerf DH that’s fine by me, farmed them with rainbow DK all night

I was playing Rainbow DK before it was cool (because I thought the Excavate package was really neat).

I've since cut the excavate package for Plagues. Which on one hand is a little sad, but on the other hand gave me a game against a Warlock yesterday where I held onto my plagues until they Wheeled, I slammed them all in and built a board (stealing Fanottem with Reska), and they immediately responded by playing Reno, pausing for confusion that my board was still there, and conceding.

Yes, it is a blunt hammer answer to Highlander decks that they don't have counterplay against anymore, but I did my time getting Reno'd into the ground or praying that Patchwerk hit Brann. I deserve this.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Plagues are basically the only counterplay DK has for warlock (unless you beef up an incredibly powerful CNE)

Rainbow DK is the all arounder that has good game against the 2 top decks and 50%s against the next two, probably going to run it to legend over DH now that i'm at dad legend.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

It’s just a really satisfying deck. You’ve got good answers, you’ve got a nice array of splashy power cards (Primus, Reska, Helya, Horseman, CNE), fun corpse synergy… it’s just solid.

Maw and Paw is such a fun card. I am always excited when it manages to stick a turn.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

The Lord of Hats posted:

It’s just a really satisfying deck. You’ve got good answers, you’ve got a nice array of splashy power cards (Primus, Reska, Helya, Horseman, CNE), fun corpse synergy… it’s just solid.

Maw and Paw is such a fun card. I am always excited when it manages to stick a turn.

On the subject, what would you consider the most important legendaries to getting Rainbow DH going? I lucked into opening Helya and CNE and I know Reska's a lot of fun from generating her. I just also know Primus and the Headless Horseman hero card are really fun in a more abstract sense, and I know Maw and Paw are both really fun to have stick and really important for generating corpses and spending them with something besides Corpse Bride.

Please. The one signature card I've ever opened is the useless Warrior excavate legendary, I need something cool to justify dusting it.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Helya's a tech card and not required. Reska and Primus are equally powerful and will get played in basically every DK deck until they rotate. Maw and paw and horsemen are marginal in the current meta but Maw and Paw is a cornerstone card of the previous version of the deck and feels wrong to cut. If you wanna get spicy and run a corpse/handbuff DK though, maw and paw is a standout there.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

While Helya isn't required, I personally find comfort in knowing that, after I play her, I at least have A Wincon locked in. In the long run, they are going to eat a bajillion plagues, so I don't need to worry too much about Primus getting removed or the like. Plus, you've got her anyways, so why not?

As much as I love Maw and Paw for generating a pile of corpses, cranking up CNE, and quietly demanding a fast answer from the opponent, they aren't vital to the deck, just really satisfying. Shooting someone for over 20 with a CNE because they weren't able to quickly answer Maw and Paw early in the game is great.

Headless Horseman absolutely goes in the deck if you have him, but I wouldn't call him a high priority. It feels weird to say, because he's great whenever I play him--a solid removal spell, a good hero power, and then later a great hero power--but there are actually times that I'm a little annoyed by not having the ghoul anymore--typically when I want a few more corpses, but also when I've got the guy who gives poisonous who I do not immediately remember the name of.

Between Reska and The Primus, I think I would give Primus the nod. Even back when I was running Excavate DK, there would be times where I would avoid playing Reska so I could get a second Primus instead, and Primus is just a bit more flexible. Also sometimes you discover Reska with Primus, and that just feels like cheating.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Thanks for the advice, y'all. Between this and my Plague deck Death Knight's probably going to be the focus of my upgrades for the foreseeable future, so I'll take whatever advice I can get.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Lurks With Wolves posted:

On the subject, what would you consider the most important legendaries to getting Rainbow DH going? I lucked into opening Helya and CNE and I know Reska's a lot of fun from generating her. I just also know Primus and the Headless Horseman hero card are really fun in a more abstract sense, and I know Maw and Paw are both really fun to have stick and really important for generating corpses and spending them with something besides Corpse Bride.

Please. The one signature card I've ever opened is the useless Warrior excavate legendary, I need something cool to justify dusting it.

if you want the best card for Rainbow DK craft Reska. It's probably the strongest single card in the deck. Primus is arguably a better craft for the class since he has no rune restrictions, but if you just want to focus on Rainbow DK then Reska's the one to craft. Headless Horseman and Maw & Paw are both decent but definitely a tier lower. Right now headless is the better card in the current meta but that could easily change in a patch or two if Warrior/Mage/DH become less prominent

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
I switched back to Reno Warrior and of course my next four matches were all plague DKs. How do you even deal with them with Steamcleaner being gone?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Szarrukin posted:

I switched back to Reno Warrior and of course my next four matches were all plague DKs. How do you even deal with them with Steamcleaner being gone?

Play a deck that doesn’t depend on a poo poo gimmick

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

youre right plague dks should stop playing their poo poo gimmick

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Ahaha sorry I am of the opinion that Reno decks need a counter and the only one is Plague DK. Maybe be upset with Blizzard that there is only one counterplay to Reno decks, but the problem is definitely not with the ONLY deck that counters a gigantic Reno meta.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

reno decks counter themselves by being incredibly inconsistent

you might say "but what about the decks that rip through and "become" reno? yeah those are an abomination

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Excelzior posted:

reno decks counter themselves by being incredibly inconsistent

Are you playing against the same Reno decks I am??

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Sandwolf posted:

Are you playing against the same Reno decks I am??

I'm playing *as* those reno decks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

(sagely, floating on a cloud, surrounded by an unblemished aura of wisdom) play snake oil seller