Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I think they've somehow managed to make the meta worse with every subsequent patch this expansion.

First they immediately murdered Paladin because of how strong it was in an underdeveloped meta

Then they bumped DH to the top of the heap by trying to bring down the other good decks

Now it's just Reno warriors endlessly because unless you kill them by turn 7 or 8 they're going to beat you in the late game no matter what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

It’s just another way discover is making GBS threads up the game, instead of drawing cards and your deck mattering and maybe Highlander’s drawback being relevant, you discover whatever badda bing badda boom

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

kater posted:

It’s just another way discover is making GBS threads up the game, instead of drawing cards and your deck mattering and maybe Highlander’s drawback being relevant, you discover whatever badda bing badda boom

I’m not sure this is how HL Warriors are winning games?

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Now it's just Reno warriors endlessly because unless you kill them by turn 7 or 8 they're going to beat you in the late game no matter what

It’s weird to me because the last balande patch did a pretty good job at actually reasonably nerfing a bunch of power decks. That’s good! It opened up the meta a lot! But they barely touched HL Warrior, and now that’s the top of the meta. Predictably.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
extremely cool that we finally had an expansion where death knight was fun and good and it got absolutely murdered because ????

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Blockhouse posted:

extremely cool that we finally had an expansion where death knight was fun and good and it got absolutely murdered because ????

They were able to counter Reno Warrior and that’s not allowed!!!

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Sandwolf posted:

It’s weird to me because the last balande patch did a pretty good job at actually reasonably nerfing a bunch of power decks. That’s good! It opened up the meta a lot! But they barely touched HL Warrior, and now that’s the top of the meta. Predictably.

They hit all the board clear but none of the lategame value. Only way to beat it now is to go under. This is why guaranteed lethality is healthy for a format

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Sandwolf posted:

It’s not. The idea that Highlander Warrior is some infinite value discover fiesta like Barrens Priest is completely ridiculous. The only class that currently meets that description is Mage, which is pretty much universally acknowledged to be class 11 out of 11 right now.

I know people like to blame poor metas on whatever their particular bugaboo about Hearthstone is, but the anti-discover brigade needs to take a seat for now. All the powerful decks right now win with cards that started in their decks.

My read of the most recent patch is that Warrior actually did get nerfed fairly severely, but this was counterbalanced by the overall power level of the format being lowered and its two big counters being taken behind the shed, so those nerfs weren’t as impactful as they might have been in a more focused “let’s deal with Warrior” type of patch. That’s the risk you run when you make huge balance changes affecting almost every class; it’s a lot of moving pieces and it’s difficult to make high-confidence changes.

bravesword fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 30, 2024

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Reno warrior is being helped a lot by all of the strongest decks rising in the post-nerf format being hard aggro decks

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
I just want a card that says "end all ongoing effects".

And tbh, I wish there was a way to see what ongoing affects were active on the battlefield as opposed to having to remember what permanent affects have been played 15 turns ago.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Has anyone found a way to make Wheel-lock work since the Big Patch? I miss that deck.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Love that Reno/Brann warrior has so little to fear that they now can go for some absolutely greedy poo poo like Zola, Brewmaster and Photographer Fizzle to get a bazillion bombs going and apparently no one can do a drat thing about it. Except maybe Hunter, which is unfun for an entirely different set of reasons.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
you could always add greedy cards to a singleton deck though, because it's singleton

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

skaboomizzy posted:

Has anyone found a way to make Wheel-lock work since the Big Patch? I miss that deck.

The combination of the Forge nerf, Wheel delay, and Reno being removed as an option has killed that deck as anything but a meme.

I've actually been having quite a bit of fun with the Hero Power/Spell Damage/Dragon Druid deck. It has a lot of wacky plays available, it can push enough damage fast enough to pressure Warrior, and it's flexible enough that it doesn't feel like there are any truly hopeless matchups. The biggest problem is that, as it's playing three different "packages" that don't have a lot of overlap, you run the risk of drawing, i.e., spell damage payoff cards without any enablers, or not enough Dragon cards to trigger all the "holding a Dragon" bonuses, but I've found this to be surprisingly uncommon. (Chia Drake feels so much less anemic as a 3/5; it's unbelievable.)

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

im ambivalent aobut the meta..

on one hand reno warrior is the undisputed king of late game between all of its removal and late game bombs, to the point where all other control decks have been obliterated;

but on the other, the meta slowed enough to allow midrange shaman, hunter and druid strategies to now exist!

it's alright I guess. Better than it has been for a while.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
hearthstone is in its "you either kill enemy before turn 6 or you can concede" phase again. (unless you are brann warrior, where it's "survive until turn 7 then you win")

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.
I would say the standard meta is better after the nerfs, but there are still a couple overturned Warrior cards.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

bravesword posted:

I've actually been having quite a bit of fun with the Hero Power/Spell Damage/Dragon Druid deck. It has a lot of wacky plays available, it can push enough damage fast enough to pressure Warrior, and it's flexible enough that it doesn't feel like there are any truly hopeless matchups. The biggest problem is that, as it's playing three different "packages" that don't have a lot of overlap, you run the risk of drawing, i.e., spell damage payoff cards without any enablers, or not enough Dragon cards to trigger all the "holding a Dragon" bonuses, but I've found this to be surprisingly uncommon. (Chia Drake feels so much less anemic as a 3/5; it's unbelievable.)

Agreed, I love this deck. Aviana gives it at least a fighting chance when games go long, too. Feels like it has a good matchup spread.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
It's 2015, and Brann was a mistake.
It's 2022, and Brann was a mistake.
It's 2024, and Brann was a mistake.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
I will argue that Brann was perfectly harmless his first time through Standard, which is why they thought it was reasonably safe to reprint him in the first place. The most damage he was doing in the Year of the Kraken was, what? Antique Healbot? OG Kazakus? Coldlight Oracle? C’Thun? Jades?

He was strong, but he was mostly a value multiplier for strategies that were hoping the game would go long. However, by the time he was put in the Core Set during the Year of the Hydra, that was no longer the case, and he was being used in conjunction with mana cheat like Wildheart Guff and Kael’thelas Sinstrider and huge damage battlecries like Astalor and Denathrius to do OTKs. If the worst Brann could do was double up on your School Teachers or whatever, he wouldn’t have been nearly as much of an issue.

bravesword fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 4, 2024

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Bran is great Odin is the mistake

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Odyn has seen precisely zero play since he got nerfed, and yet Warrior is still the format-defining deck, so I think you’re wrong

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I think the bad-feeling card in Warrior is Boomboss. If that was changed in some way, Warrior would be pretty much fine.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

The problem is the lack of lethality in the format. If you could OTK the warrior then they wouldn't be able to sit around and milk all that value. But they killed wheel so oh well.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

bravesword posted:

I will argue that Brann was perfectly harmless his first time through Standard, which is why they thought it was reasonably safe to reprint him in the first place. The most damage he was doing in the Year of the Kraken was, what? Antique Healbot? OG Kazakus? Coldlight Oracle? C’Thun? Jades?

He was strong, but he was mostly a value multiplier for strategies that were hoping the game would go long. However, by the time he was put in the Core Set during the Year of the Hydra, that was no longer the case, and he was being used in conjunction with mana cheat like Wildheart Guff and Kael’thelas Sinstrider and huge damage battlecries like Astalor and Denathrius to do OTKs. If the worst Brann could do was double up on your School Teachers or whatever, he wouldn’t have been nearly as much of an issue.

This is a good point, and it feeds into another point that makes Control Warrior so annoying right now: there are only two pieces of permanent hand disruption in Standard right now, and both of them are significantly better when you double their battlecries. I get why they included Dirty Rat in the core set this year, since Brann is the kind of card it was designed to counter, but so many ways to deal with Warrior as a control deck hinge on playing specific minions that it just gets filthy. As for Boomboss, everyone already knows how nuts that is.

Ultimately, the problem is that Warrior is the control deck with the best removal suite and the easiest ways to win the game and has the best disruption. If you can knock out one of those legs, other control decks might be able to beat it at some point.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I think the bad-feeling card in Warrior is Boomboss. If that was changed in some way, Warrior would be pretty much fine.

T. N.T. should randomly destroy a card on board OR in hand OR in deck.

Still annoying, still disruptive, but no longer game ending. With it switching to shuffling into the opponent's deck, it just self-accelerates the effect by thinning out the deck, cascading until there is nothing left. Or allow it to destroy other T. N.T.s. to reign it in.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

1-Brann's effect is too powerful for "rest of the game". The difference between Brann on T6 or T20 is massive in deck quality. This leads to the bad kind of RNG where a match is decided by whether he was drawn early or not.
Compare him to any other current highlander card and the only one that is somewhat close in long-term value is Rhaestraza, but even that doesn't feel as hopeless and can also be countered by Reno.
2- Only ways to deal with Brann are "Kill them before they play him", which is a poo poo mechanic in a random ladder, or dirty rat, which is too unreliable.
3-Original Brann was always held back by needing to be on the board, which limited him by mana or by the body itself being in danger. Usually (in the old days) you'd get 1-2 battlecries and then he'd die immediately after, or else the game was pretty much over.
With current Brann that's not a thing anymore because once they play him they can do whatever they like. Obviously they have to survive losing T6, but Warrior is probably the best equipped classed to do so.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
As long as high cost Legendaries exist that are primarily based on their Battlecry, (especially those that are functionally 'From here on, your win chance just spiked like gently caress) and Brann exists, Brann will continue to be a problem. Whether that's Boomboss, Denathrius or Odyn, you'll just shuffle the problem around.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I agree and this post seems quite well thought out. If be surprised if it didn't see a nerf quite soon.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/1cibhz8/boomboss_is_by_far_the_main_problem_with_brann/

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
change boomboss to deathrattle

edit: while boomboss might be the problem right now, if he's nerfed and brann remains they'll almost certainly need to do more brann-related nerfs in the future (or hold back when it comes to designing new battlecries)

peer fucked around with this message at 12:15 on May 5, 2024

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

While in theory I like the Highlander change so that you NEED to build your deck with no duplicates to get their effects, I kinda wish it was something like “if your deck started with no duplicates and currently has no duplicates”, that way there would a at least be something the opponent could do to disrupt them. Maybe that’d be too harsh of a condition then?

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Yeah, that’s the worst of both worlds. You have to build your deck to accommodate the restriction but it can still be easily disabled.

Other than Warrior, Highlander decks were dead as a doornail before the last patch because Plagues were so popular.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I just think it's silly that warrior's reno class card is essentially an "every turn for the rest of the game you have a massive advantage" effect, while the other classes get a good swing card, a disruption card, a stats bomb, and a permanent free copy of a minion

None of the other Reno cards come close to the same power level

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Hot take: the biggest issue with Control Warrior isn't Reno. It's that Warrior is the only class that can get to high enough life totals so that combo decks can't finish them off. Normally if a hard-control deck got too popular something would be able to come up as a hard-counter, but because it's Warrior the only potential way to beat it is to race damage before they get their inevitable wincons online. Every single lifegain card in the class is never offline, there's a ton of games where the Warrior accidentally ends up at 50+ life from just cycling cards/hero power.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

As someone who is playing Dummy Warrior, Safety Goggles feels like it shouldn't have been printed.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
"For the rest of the game" with no way to dispel is poo poo mechanic.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

bravesword posted:

Yeah, that’s the worst of both worlds. You have to build your deck to accommodate the restriction but it can still be easily disabled.

Other than Warrior, Highlander decks were dead as a doornail before the last patch because Plagues were so popular.

Highlander decks were not dead as a door nail last patch, not even close, this Brann Warrior deck was consolidated in that time period. It’s crazy to me they saw Plagues and Highlander Warrior and said “these plagues are too strong”

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Szarrukin posted:

"For the rest of the game" with no way to dispel is poo poo mechanic.

I think it would be ok if the effect wasn't so powerful. New or OG Raza come to mind.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
I said "other than Warrior" right there in the quote you posted. As for the other classes, you saw Reno more from Wheel Warlocks and non-Highlander Warriors and Druids than you saw from dedicated Highlander in Demon Hunter, Druid, Paladin, Priest, or Shaman -- you know, the designated Highlander classes. That's an issue!

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

bravesword posted:

I said "other than Warrior" right there in the quote you posted. As for the other classes, you saw Reno more from Wheel Warlocks and non-Highlander Warriors and Druids than you saw from dedicated Highlander in Demon Hunter, Druid, Paladin, Priest, or Shaman -- you know, the designated Highlander classes. That's an issue!

Fair enough, but other than HL Shaman I don’t see any of those other HL decks anymore either. I suspect we’re only seeing HL Shaman because Nature Shaman died as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Just for something not involving Brann, I've been having some fun with this in Wild.

### mechadin
# Class: Paladin
# Format: Wild
#
# 2x (1) Drone Deconstructor
# 2x (1) Frequency Oscillator
# 2x (1) Glow-Tron
# 2x (1) Skaterbot
# 2x (2) Galvanizer
# 2x (2) Instrument Tech
# 2x (2) Noble Minibot
# 2x (2) Radar Detector
# 2x (3) Prosthetic Hand
# 1x (3) SN1P-SN4P
# 2x (3) Stonehearth Vindicator
# 2x (4) Goldwing
# 2x (4) Painter's Virtue
# 2x (5) Wargear
# 1x (5) Zilliax
# 1x (7) The Leviathan
# 1x (0) Zilliax Deluxe 3000
# 1x (0) Zilliax Deluxe 3000
# 1x (5) Perfect Module
# 1x (5) Ticking Module
#
AAEBAYsWBKCAA5+3A7CyBMekBg2f9QLW/gLX/gL5pATa0wSEpQW4xQXZ0AWG/gW5/gXKngbQqQbMsAYAAQP2swbHpAb3swbHpAbt3gbHpAYAAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

You want to mulligan as hard as you can for the brush, radar detector, the tutors, and probably a galvaniser.

Idea is basically just flood boards with sticky mechs while you build up insane magnetic bots and then send it all face when you have lethal.

It's not gonna be some meta tyrant, but it is fun to slam 50 into someone.

Olpainless fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 5, 2024