Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
This is the post to remind you that every time they print loving Karl (or any other card that makes things cost 0) they break the game, but keep doing it.

Bet I get to quote this in the next thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Wait - Are they really adding another variation on ‘gems’ like every Pachinko Mobile Developer? Another abstraction of real money to get you to spend a bit more (Buy a 2000 value pack, get 400 ‘bonus/free’, everything costs a division that ensures you have 300 left over)? On top of the nonsense we already have?

gently caress, I was on the edge already, that’s it, I’m out.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Excelzior posted:

to be fair they announced it would come in increments (paraphrasing) "matching our most popular products"

but uh.....lol.

I believe they will. I genuinely do. Believe they'll stick to that policy though, and I have a bridge to sell you.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I’m happily stuck at Dad Legend, purely playing Aggro Druid to irritate the Ramp Druid / Spooky Mage crowd. Legend is simply out of the question, so at least I can antagonise the idiots on flowchart ramp.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

PneumonicBook posted:

I've been playing rogue in legend and I see a few others, but yea its mostly druid/spooky mage/quest priest/aggro priest/aggro druid

This, but removing the Priest, Aggro Priest, and the Aggro Druid is rare as gently caress. (I've literally played against it twice.)

Everything else is Spooky Mage and Ramp.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
What’s funnier is Brann isn’t even an interesting or compelling lore character - nobody cares, his only purpose is to be a voice box for writer exposition, and never really does or is affected by anything. He’s a narrator with an in-game avatar, yet Blizzard loving love wheeling him out.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
BG Quests are another in the long litany of 'More random is more fun!' from them at this point.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Funny thing is even if Druid gets dumpstered (it won't, there's too many loving things to correct) then Mage is right behind it, either being Freezed for the entire match (a game design based on 50% of the players not playing, genius!) or mashing the RNG button over & over and hoping the Pachinko machine pays out. It's like a less intelligent version of Thief Rogue, because even the Mage player doesn't know what he's going to play.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Toshimo posted:

The alternative was that the game mode goes away because it was losing money, so... Hearthstone is a land of contrasts?
I would be willing to bet a significant sum that like everything ActiBlizz does, it was not losing money. It just wasn't making ENOUGH money.

The entire company has absolutely no interest in creating content beyond 'what is necessary to monetise'. They believe games are art as much as the industrial scale milker believes cows' lives have value.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I only just realised the stupid loving Rush whelps from the Druid Legendary are Whelps for Onyxia, and now I hate Druid all over again. A class whose identity is ‘being good at the strong things in card games’ is not an identity you dicks.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
It finally happened, and I made Legend for the first time (3800) using Relics DH - All three games in Diamond 1 were Quest fuckin’ Priests, and all three got very upset at Theotar swaps loving up their numbers.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Quests also make fighting KtZ much more swingy. Some of them are effectively voided by the player being dead (Helpful Refreshes and the like) whilst some may have pushed the stats of Minions to truly silly numbers.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Guff nerf helped, but the very existence of Ramp Druid having the clearance it does means to exist, Aggro needs to be crazy dumb/quick. Cards like SoO being functionally a cheaper (or rampable) ‘Twisting Nether gently caress you everything is gone’ gives you the option of either end the game before Turn 7 or lose for aggro.

I think the Guff nerf itself was ‘correct’ - It’s still a rock solid Hero card. Just there’s core issues with the Druid pool that messing with it alone won’t address.

And then the necessity of Aggro (lol Druid again) being as quick as it is to be viable pushes a bunch of middling concepts out of existence. It’s quite an interesting problem, in a way.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

AnacondaHL posted:

I made a prediction a while back and a few nerfs ago that Scale of Onyxia would not get nerfed, because it felt like a card that they instead would want to naturally phase out of the meta with gentle power creep.

Instead they lit everything on fire, then doused it, leaving Scale soaked and still the secondary lynchpin of Druid's "either I have it and live or die" strategy. So RIP that prediction!

I'm playing Naga Priest until the end (because it's the only deck I have left after all the nerfs and dusting, and because somehow my brain just knows the right plays with the deck despite the disgust at playing Priest), and it's at least challenging the Hunter dominance

Agree with all of this Anaconda, apart from apparently we have wildly different interpretations of the word 'gentle'.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Having played a shitload of Relic DH, I'd say it's problem is it really suffers specifically against the top two T1 decks. It's a really interesting, fun deck to play, but both Beast Hunter & Naga Priest poo poo on it. It's only T3 because of the pressure of them, otherwise it'd be higher.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I like that Priest has still managed to find a deck that's, true to form, not actually good, but still drags games out for 20m anyway to the point it's probably inflating it's (middling) win rate by boredom concedes.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Three Hunters in a row, all have the 2/2 that summons a Wildseed and the Summon 2, speed them up at 3. 25 stats on the board Turn 4.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Does anything actually just crush Wildseed Hunter? Like, mercilessly, miserably crush it? Happy to lose every other matchup now (because I’d still be winning 80% of my games.)

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

bravesword posted:

I’m not sure what you hit in Beast Hunter, to be honest. The deck is just kind of generically strong rather than having any huge outliers that demand attention. I guess revert the Harpoon Gun buff, but that’s not enough, surely? Tack a mana on Pet Collector?

I don’t think you can. Literally, the only reason Guff isn’t 100% of Ladder is that Hunter deck exists, and the moment you drop it, he’s back. Game is actually hosed right now.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Who could have imagined that a mechanic based on number of Minions killed would support most the Class that can create token Minions? :iiam:

(I don't know which I hate more - Brann existing at all, or I'm just bored of seeing games swung by Denathrius. In a vacuum, he's fine, but even if they live through him, you've probably tempo'd hard enough to win afterward.)

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Boatswain posted:

The only times Denathrius feels bad is when you play against Druid and they curve out into brann-denathrius-zola turn 18 (actually turn 5). But then you hosed up and rolled badly already and you can go next.

I don't agree - He feels bad because so many games end up being decided by 'Who had him in hand on T10?', and neither player had any Agency in it after 'putting him in the deck'. You have a close game, you're both playing back & forth, both probably had him in deck but whoops never mind one side had him and the other didn't so the game is over now. He's rarely tutored (it's not like you see Taelan in decks with him) he's just an extra coin flip decision that undermines the rest of the experience. You've basically got a random buzzer next to the table that if it goes off on your turn, you win regardless of game state.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I’m gonna sound like an idiot, but I honestly don’t get how it works reliably. For every time you get to Smokescreen the 8/8 you get three games where you flounder impotently, and I think I must be fundamentally misunderstanding the game plan.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Which is dumber:

1. That I, as Rogue, can drop 20 health worth of Minions on Turn 4, OR:
2. My opponent, the Demon Hunter, can erase 20 health worth of Minions on Turn 4.

Both of these things seem extremely stupid and indicative of the level of power creep this game has experienced to me.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I think I can upgrade my hatred of 'casual Denathrius' to 'actual loathing'.

Why the gently caress is this random coinflip of an effect in the game at all?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Just take Brann, and toss him in the bin.

Then I'd prefer Infuse in general was looked at as a mechanic (and the way it's naturally inclined towards cards that can generate large volumes of tokens, which influences Class impact like SoO etc.), and I'm being picky but I still think Discover is too strong in general and needs a limiter like only 2, (hence the prevalence of those cards) but that's more my personal dislike of sideboards in general, and Discover is arguably better because it lets you exceed the deck limit easily.

Now, all that moaning aside, I'd agree at least there's more viable decks than before.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I think starting with the battlecry dealing 1 or 0 damage would be a good way to tone down Denathrius’ power without redesigning or fundamentally changing the card

Arguably that’d make it another in the big pile of ‘Neutral cards that might as well be Brown’.

Which is a stupid state of affairs, and arguably not Denathrius’ fault.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Lister posted:

It's definitely bugged. It wraps around to the forth fight and it's with illidan, which would be the final confrontation at ice crown, not the first.

Same. Small indie company, etc.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
So we've left Brann as is, and made Daddy D into more of a Druid card, as the only one able to generate enough deaths to utilise him. Right-o.

Shoot. The loving. Dwarf. Blizzard.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

GTO posted:

Yeah it's really a combo deck. As soon as you have discounted 2 spell damage minions, you have the aoe spell and a couple of other damage spells you drop the minions, clear the board with aoe so all the ' hits the lowest health enemy' stuff hits the enemy hero and win. You can easily do 30 or even close to 40 from hand. The rest of the deck is just there to draw and discount and to keep you alive.

Highlight was facing the 60 Health DK who Reno'd, Naga'd Reno to get another one, and just happily chewed through all 120 health with Jace/Spirits/Fel Barrage/Spell Damage.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
As the Druid plays his second Denathrius and third Astalor, I realise I want Brann AND Guff gone. Stop allowing core limits to be broken easily and only by one class you dicks.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Brann/Spitter/Devour, full OTK, ignoring Taunts & board state. (Lifestealed back to 30) Delete loving Brann Blizzard, he’s a dumb oval office of a card.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I still can't fathom why they don't normalise the Arena distribution pool - I love LCG draft modes, but knowing I could be just being given chaff and someone else can pull nearly T1 Meta drives me nutso.

Oh wait... 'more fun'. RNG is fun, I forgot.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Starsfan posted:

Yeah most of the arena streamers have been crying out for years now that there should be a curated draft pool.. the current system of drafting is fine but the problem is you have sets from 2017, 2020 and 2022 in the same pool and if you end up getting a deck with a bunch of cards that were printed 5+ years ago you are pretty much hosed.. Having a curated pool that is designed with synergies in mind would make the average deck more fun to play and would help mitigate against the problem they've faced the last 2 years with DH and they will be facing the next 2 years with DK where the new class is always the strongest in the meta because it doesn't have any old bad cards to pick from watering down it's pool relative to the other classes. I think most arena players aren't so much turned off by the fact that you can have a strong deck or a weaker deck because that's part and parcel of the game mode, but when the weaker drafts are just 20 neutral minions with no interesting synergies or effects and some spell cards from 5 years ago the game is horrible to play.

Hell, even consistently offer rarities.

(I'd echo myself repeatedly by pointing out Discover is part of the problem, as it's such a stupidly strong and widespread mechanic)

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Me, back in May posted:

Also, this is the first expansion of the new year. Imagine what the end of Hydra is gonna look like. :v:
Caaaaaaaalled it.

I'm actually surprised given how recently Honorable Kill was added, that the three DK Strike cards aren't using it. They're just 'If the Minion dies'...

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I like tradeable a ton as a keyword for narrow-use cards. Imho Rustrot Viper is one of the most perfectly designed tech cards ever printed in hearthstone

Agreed, and that’s an example of where the mechanic was used well - To introduce a tech card that was still okay value if played, and had a way for a slight cost to be usable if the value wasn’t there. Rustrot Viper is a brilliant, brilliant card, but it’s nothing like the rest of the design philosophy you see elsewhere.

(Need for Greed using it as a way to discount was interesting too, I’d suggest)

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Miracle (Read: Pachinko) Rogue was, but other varities are arguably playing 'honest' Hearthstone.

Druid finally aligning to WoW proper (Having a class identity of 'Be good at the things the game wants you to do', and still crying they're bad all day) was a mistake. :v:

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
They just need a dim view on anything that allows duplication of things that are otherwise deck limited.

Discover is the main culprit (With the comedy of some DK lists being like 70% cards that let you Discover past limits - And ignoring their own Rune system) but also Brann (because he’s just duplicating for 3 in the same play) and anything that generates more copies of a Legendary you already have. Problem is, you can’t change it to something like ‘Not in your deck’ when it comes to that, or people will find ways to only not include 3 specific cards so they always get them. Zola only doesn’t make this cut because she does the same thing, but still costs twice the manner - You could argue she’s the ‘fair’ version of Brann.

Again though - I can accept that’s just my taste in design, and Team 5 clearly do not share it - They (presumably, driven by the effects on revenue) want big swingy things every turn, and all the various Mana Cheat / Discover shenanigans support that.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I’d like to applaud the BG changes for making that revolve around loving Brann as well.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
As much as I hate BG people leaving because they don't get a Hero they want - Offering Denathrius and THEN doing the Q, with him 0 armour, knowing so many of them were never meant to be viable late is madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

fanny packrat posted:

Climbing with it has been really slow for me. I've been queueing into endless control decks; nothing like watching a BBB DK discover its fourth Vampiric Blood to make me want to play another game for a bit. I probably should have switched to something like Bomblock, but I got stubborn. Glad it's working for you!

Again, Discover in general is either too good a mechanic (Just Offer 2 - For small card pools it's basically a Sideboard) or wildly undercosted on the cards it's on.