Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
DRSpaceman#1433 (Americas).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Is Kaelthas Sinstrider a safe craft or nah

I feel like being released alongside Denathrius (and in the same rotation as Brann) makes the new Kael a safe craft.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I got a 1st on the first stage of the BG quest :negative:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

That's a big hit to Kael.

Everything else seems safe and reasonable.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

This was my BG questline win. Staff of Origination (+15/15 at start of combat) and double golden Tarecgosa were very loving strong.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/IksarHS/status/1570821289388175363?s=20&t=UVdeaKpamqCHll0ACec_EQ

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

In previous seasons some achievements gave golden cards as rewards but I think they stopped doing that for Nathria?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

goferchan posted:

I think they still do it but it's always for "previous seasons" -- any battle pass reward that gives an "uncraftable" golden card gets turned into an achievement reward when the next expansion comes out. So like during the last expansion you couldn't craft golden Schoolteacher but you could get it from the battle pass; now you instead get it from an achievement.

I don't think it's that. I've got the battlepass each time but am still missing a bunch of earlier achievement rewards.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lots of pre-release stuff for Mercenaries was released on Art Station

Reddit posted:

• the mode has been in the works since 2019
  • You used to be able to pick 3 out of 6 different attacks for each merc
  • You used to be able to upgrade Abilities with coins OR through a special quest (for example: defeat 100 Mercs or spend 25 coins for that merc)
  • You used to be able to promote max level mercs with coins up to 2 times. This gave them a new frame, increased their max level, increased the max level for their abilities and allowed you to equip a additional ability. Promotions were also mentioned in the Mercs cinematic btw: "or get yourself some gear and grab a potion, glory waits for you and a promotion".
  • The Reason why the Merc boards are so different is simply because the cards and attacks would be too close together otherwise and overlap each other.
  • Mercs was called "Hearthstone Legends" at some point and pve maps were based on regular Hearthstone Expansions (Outland, Scholomance, Darkmoon Faire etc.)
  • The mode used to have 4 different types of attacks: Spells, Summons, Melee and Ranged
  • The village wasn't a thing originally, instead the main menu was similar to Battlegrounds and had bounties aswell as pvp in a list.
  • There used to be a clear rating for bounties with up to 3 stars (faster = better = more stars?)
  • They originally planned to add a animation when a duplicate merc turns into coins (I guess they just didn't have the time/ressources to add this low priority thing)
  • There used to be some kind of "Tavern coin" reward for beating heroic map encounters, aswell as some kind of Tavern Icon on the map. I guess it used to be a spendable currency for the run.
  • It seems like the extra loot coin on the map was planned very early on. Though it seems like you instantly got the bounty rewards and didn't have to complete the bounties for it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

How much gold do the minisets usually cost? Im getting back into constructed and im trying to keep just enough gold that ill be able to get it day 1 but my standard collection is a bit sparse and im still seeing some value in opening packs when my only solid decks are ramp druid and ping mage

The previous ones have all been 2000.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Excelzior posted:

if anybody still refused to believe that they plan minisets years in advance and are powerless to fix the meta using them...

Yeah they don't plan poo poo.
https://twitter.com/Songbird_HS/status/1573464046791180288
https://twitter.com/Songbird_HS/status/1573503749796020231

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The thing with money and Mercenaries is that aside from very specific bundles and deals you get gently caress all for your cash. It might change with coin conversion but at the moment it's basically F2P because while grinding is slow it's still the only way to actually progress with the mercs you want.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Blooming Brilliant posted:

We live in a world where Bolf Ramshield may legitimately eat a nerf/change,

what a time to be alive.

I want to believe that the Jailer is the result of a bet or long-game to make Bolf overpowered.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Strawberry Panda posted:

Same. I just choose a deck based on what my daily quest tells me I need to play.

Yeah. I'll fall back on Control Shaman if I just need some wins (since somehow I've got all the cards for it despite barely spending any money on the game) but otherwise I let the quests guide me.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

RatHat posted:

Oh you get them from just playing too? I thought they were only from the event quests

Been getting 1-2 per merc fight and ~5 per standard game.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

NorgLyle posted:

Cabalist's Tome saw play during Whispers of the Old Gods and it was 5-mana, get 3 random Mage spells. Sunwell feels like a card that you'll be able to use in a control deck where you'll occasionally have turns where you don't need to do anything in particular and can just add a bunch of value to your hand.

(But there's also a chance you'll get four copies of Glacial Mysteries.)

Cabalist's Tome gave mage spells to a mage though. You were far more likely to get something usable.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The main reason I'm not enjoying this meta is that I've had absolutely atrocious luck with legendries and am missing key ones for a lot of current decks.

Except somehow I can build a Control Shaman list which has a dust cost of 22k.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

frajaq posted:

I can complete specific element damage quests with Mercenaries??? :shepicide:
Very quickly too, assuming you have touched the mode before.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Looking forward to the videos using Treachery / Silas Darkmoon and that.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

NorgLyle posted:

Tavern Brawl this week is Blood Magic so get your Druid decks ready.

Or try this, which throws a board full of charge minions at the opponent's face on turn 1.

Not even sure it's the best version since you could chuck in battlemasters instead of the golems.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Coming to the conclusion that I have enjoyed Nathria the least out of the entire game since launch. New expac cannot come soon enough.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Yeah changing the base value or the scaling is the least disruptive way to change Denathrius.

Mr Beens posted:

Agreed. We seem to have this conversation every 6 months or so - last X expansions have been terrible , X card has destroyed the game, but at the same time all metrics actually report things are pretty stable. Feels over data

Oh my complaint was entirely based on my feelings and I made sure to express it as such.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I've been enjoying a lot of Rarran's videos but this recent one (where he and two other streamers took on an high-level player) was one of his best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvTzW7pageQ

It was a lot of fun and also really cool to see someone talk through their decision making.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Last King posted:

yea i'm pretty bummed that i missed out on this too.
Yeah same. Whole thing happened overnight my time so I wake up and find out I've missed a shitload of legendaries.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Yeah Spell DH feels it has potential.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I like the comment somewhere about Cataclysm going from a boardclear with the downside of a full discard to a full discard with the downside of a boardclear.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

Still holding out hope for more dk buffs

They said that these are meant to be safer changes and that there will be a spicier round of nerfs/buffs later.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Just can't find something to get to work for D10 to D5. Evolve Shaman and Spell Demon Hunter should be viable but I struggle to make them work.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 28, 2022

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

fanny packrat posted:

What are you facing? New VS report tomorrow, so that should give some idea of the shape of the meta.
Rogues seem to be the nasty combination of frequency and efficacy in my matchups.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Sinful Scythe Demon Hunter is pretty fun. Super strong but also not easy to pilot.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

fanny packrat posted:

I unpacked the scythe in my ranked rewards. Can't wait to learn it!

Between the quest, the scythe, Jace, Kurtrus and the relics (all of which are useful, none of which are required) there are a lot of combinations for viable DH decks at the moment.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jan 1, 2023

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I like tradeable a ton as a keyword for narrow-use cards. Imho Rustrot Viper is one of the most perfectly designed tech cards ever printed in hearthstone

Yeah it's great.

Blacksmith's Hammer was a good tradeable card for warrior too since it worked well with the quest and didn't lead to degenerate poo poo.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

enki42 posted:

I haven't touched Mercenaries since I hit the wall of "progression isn't super fast anymore", but is there even like an evolving meta or anything? It seemed like from the little bits of things I read that the early meta got solved very quickly, and it doesn't seem like anything has been done to shake things up, or is multiplayer just completely pointless to play?

The meta does shift as they introduce new mercs and buff old ones. The downside of that approach is that the power creep is significant and most comps rely on more recent mercs (looking at you Khadgar and Nemsy).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Rattlegore is part of a very crazy build that gets 5 Mercs on the field. It's losing strength in the current meta but it absolutely ate up the Arcane bots.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Maestra should break on trading rogue cards.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

GTO posted:

I just made legend for the first time in some months using the evolve shaman deck posted some pages back. Be interesting to see how that goes as its unaffected by the nerfs /buffs.

I have absolutely no idea how the meta shakeup is going to affect it but it's definitely a deck people have been sleeping on.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

My advice is to not do this.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lurks With Wolves posted:

It would be a good change, but if the nerf is just that it's still three mana to get three uses of a really solid two mana card. They need to hit it harder than that.

I'd prefer to see the 4/5 nerfed. It gives them the most room for fine-tuning changes without changing the fun elements of the card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The human dance in WoW is from the Bee Gees too and I feel that played into it a little.