Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
Platinum 8 was 6 stars for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
Could someone help me out here? I have hit a brick wall after reaching Diamond 10 where my star bonus fell off. I only really have good legendaries for three classes. I could craft one or two if I really need to.

Demon hunter: Last season my bonus dropped at Platinum 10 but I reached D5 easily with an aggressive Demon Hunter deck. It stopped working there and now there are too many taunts around for that deck. I lucked out and got the legendary scythe but no matter how I try to adjust my deck, I just can't win.

Rogue: I tried a deathrattle deck with bombs. Too swingy, too many 40hp decks around. Also tried deck with drawing, Draka and the rogue locations. Again too many taunts.

Death Knights seem to have super long games and they still lose anyway.

Mostly my problems are against druids, priests and mages. How can you beat something like priests who consistently have something like 40/60 stats total on board by turn 5? No matter how aggressive I go, they still win.

E: I don't like looking for decks from the internet but I do adjust my decks according to what I face. So what I am mostly looking for is tips about crucial cards i might be missing from my decks against those classes or deck archetypes I might not have considered.

Valiantman fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 18, 2022

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Actually, if anyone would help me refine this one or just tell me to stop bothering, I guess that would be great. I really don't like aggro decks but I don't have legendaries for most of the control decks I see so, yeah.

(I assume the starfish is odd but I just try to counter all the taunts I face.)

### Alakazam
# Class: Demon Hunter
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Hydra
#
# 2x (0) Sigil of Silence
# 1x (1) Dreadprison Glaive
# 2x (1) Feast of Souls
# 2x (1) Fury (Rank 1)
# 2x (1) Relic of Extinction
# 2x (2) Chaos Strike
# 2x (2) Fel Barrage
# 2x (2) Mark of Scorn
# 2x (2) Relic Vault
# 1x (3) Lady S'theno
# 2x (3) Relic of Phantasms
# 2x (4) Fel'dorei Warband
# 1x (4) Smothering Starfish
# 1x (4) Souleater's Scythe
# 2x (5) Deal with a Devil
# 2x (5) Relic of Dimensions
# 1x (6) Kurtrus, Demon-Render
# 1x (8) Artificer Xy'mox
#
AAECAea5AwaHiwSEjQSNtQT7vwSq3QSVkgUM6+8DwvEDifcDtp8E1p8Er94EsN4EquIEheUEhpIFiZIFkJIFAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

3000ish dust

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Patrick Spens posted:

So you're pretty close to something like Fell Demon Hunter And even if you don't want to just copy another deck list, I think you really want a Jace Darkweaver as a finisher. That deck does struggle against rogues though. Depending on exactly how much dust you have you could craft Jace and the Quest and do something like Quest Demon Hunter which is what I used to get to legend and is a ton of fun to play.

You've got a bunch of cards dedicated to silencing taunts, and I'd recommend killing them instead.

Hmm, yeah, that is pretty close. I do have Jace since my previous aggro deck was most just fel spells and face damage. How does that +2 spell damage minion work there? It won't stay alive a single turn, will it?

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Oh, right. I'm too much in "go face" mindset. Also I had not noticed Unleash Fel is "all enemies" instad of just minions. :aaa:

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

mcbexx posted:

Monkey paw curls and minisets are no longer sold for gold.

That was a potential option in a couple of questions.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Oh, wow. I'm totally in love with the music theme and they seem to be taking it to ridiculous enough lengths that the cards themselves seem just plain fun. I've never paid for anything in this game but for the first time I'm tempted to. Even the signature cards look nice.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Valiantman posted:

Oh, wow. I'm totally in love with the music theme and they seem to be taking it to ridiculous enough lengths that the cards themselves seem just plain fun. I've never paid for anything in this game but for the first time I'm tempted to. Even the signature cards look nice.

Well that temptation got cured fast. I'd never actually looked at what the packs cost in real money. :retrogames:

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Firebert posted:

I like that shaman got another fire spell that doesn't do anything with Radiance of Azshara lmao

I have never dusted any legendaries since I just like collecting stuff but I did open a golden one back then. If it still isn't becoming playable, I might just press the button to get a card that at least is thematical and fun, if not necessarily any better.

Oh wow, hey, it doesn't say friendly minion. I bet someone figures out a deck that takes advantage of an enemy Raggy.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

peer posted:

shadowjeweler hanar in core :pwn:]

Oh my god, I'll never play anything else for the next year but secret/thief rogue.

Wait, Shadowsteps, the legendary spell and the two other almost Shadowsteps? I think I'm in rogue heaven.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Julio Cruz posted:

so are all my opponents getting ridiculously lucky or is Menagerie Warrior a whole lot better than people were expecting?

I put together a warrior deck that is not even menagerie and it does okay. I mean, about 30% winrate is not good or anything but I'd suppose a proper deck will be much better.

In my opinion individual warrior cards are pretty good. They just don't have any real synergy compared to every other class.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Color Printer posted:

so this was about JIVE, INSECT! and hey I just used it to bypass a taunt for lethal lmao

Living the dream vision.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Shockeh posted:

Thief Priest is creeping back in, and My God is that a boring deck to play against.

It actively wants to fatigue the game, which just shouldn't be a desirable win con from a game design PoV.

After playing a match of Magic a couple of days ago against a deck that had the same win condition without milling, I'm never going be more than mildly annoyed at HS fatigue decks anymore.

But yeah, if it iss supposed to go to fatigue, there should probably be some kind of draw engine there.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

To make everyone else's legendary luck feel better:

*20 standard packs and 57 Titans packs later*

Odyn and Norgannon.

Whee.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Huh. Is Sargeras also bugged? I was playing a mage and copied the enemy Sargeras. Sending everything to Twisting Nether did precisely nothing, except for the opponent emoting "Sorry" at me.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

fanny packrat posted:

I was running into a lot of annoying disruption and control decks, so I switched to Rainbow Mage and climbed to legend. Felt really strong, I think I had 2 losses from D4 on.

### sif
# Class: Mage
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Wolf
#
# 2x (1) Arcane Artificer
# 2x (1) Arcane Wyrm
# 2x (1) Discovery of Magic
# 2x (1) Flame Geyser
# 2x (1) Miracle Salesman
# 2x (2) Cosmic Keyboard
# 1x (2) Infinitize the Maxitude
# 2x (2) Prismatic Elemental
# 2x (2) Void Scripture
# 2x (3) Reverberations
# 2x (4) Cold Case
# 2x (4) Inquisitive Creation
# 1x (4) Volume Up
# 1x (5) Lady Naz'jar
# 2x (5) Wisdom of Norgannon
# 1x (6) Sif
# 2x (7) Elemental Inspiration
#
AAECAf0EBNiyBOv0BdD4BdH4BQ3b3gSqmAWrmAWAwgXs9gXe+AW//gXY/gWk/wXxgAaFjgaDlQayngYAAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Yeah, might be just the new expansion chaos but the old Outcast Demon Hunter seems to be working quite okay in platinum, too. Probably mostly to do with knowing how to pilot an old deck though.

E: How do the snake oils work for you? Are they worth the extra hand size management stress or do they actually free other cheap spells to be used for minion clearing?

Valiantman fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 20, 2023

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Desdinova posted:

I feel stupid, my snake oil salesman died, I got a tradeable 0 dmg, do I buff it with Sif for a sub-par arcane bolt or just for trading?

Yes.

Depending on the situation, both. Just after my previous question I tried modifying my rainbow deck to fit in the snake oils and immediately went and won against a druid by theowing two snake oils at their face for 14 damage.

I would not call a 0-mana card sub-par. It allows the Sif combo to be used way earlier if you have managed to get some chip damage in.

Valiantman fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Nov 21, 2023

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

drat. I've played almost exclusively rainbow mage and paladins are such a snack. I guess i should be glad.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Where any of them Earthen Paladin? I've been playing a lot of that and I'm pretty sure I've beaten like, 90% of Mages I went against with it.

No. That sounds miserable unless I get real lucky with discovers.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

drat, that Arcane Wyrm from 1/2 to 1/1 is a significant nerf in mage/paladin matchup. Thank goodness for paladin nerfs but it is hard to catch up if you cannot trade well right off the gate.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

So, what old decks would be worth trying out now? Big Demon Hunter? Seed Hunter?

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ew. Wheel of Death into Fanottem and then copy it with Forge of Wills.

I can't even be mad about how ridiculous that is.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Sandwolf posted:

Just take Magtheridon out of the discover pool imo. The Inquisitor and Abyssal thing are good but not especially unstoppable.

Or take Window Shopper itself out of the pool.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Don't forget sometimes they hit the Abyssal Bassist and get a 3 mana 6/5 and a 1 mana 6/5 lifesteal taunt turn 4!

1 mana 1/1. It copies mini Window Shopper's stats.

But speaking of Demon Hunter, how are people actually succeeding with that deck? I have most of the demon hunter cards in standard and crafted the Shoppers because I like discovery decks. I have now played like 10 games while I started to climb and I cannot get out of silver with 6 star bonus which makes my win percentage like 16.

It seems too slow to beat warlocks and has too little output to beat warriors. Hunters are okay if I draw lot a of cheap board clear. If it makes any difference, I'm playing a highlander version.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

I don't think Demon Hunter is too oppressive but then again I'm in low diamond and probably still playing poorly against some classes, but I wonder if a proper nerf (if the indeed are doing it) would be buffing the weapon to 3 durability instead. It would slow everything down one turn without making the Shopper obsolete.

Maybe nerfing the damage of the weapon to 2 at the same time, though that seems major, considering how crucial point that 3rd attack power is.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Excelzior posted:

the single biggest xp achievement for whizbang is your opponent letting you finish them off with the mustache'd minion drawn by Caricature artist

I got that with the disguised minion merely being on board.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

"Without engaging the weekly system." Such garbage. How do you "engage" with that "system" anyway?

I'm a free-to-play player. I like Battlegrounds, for instance, but if not for the weekly, I would not play it more than once or twice a week for variety. Looks like I won't be bothering to even try that quest anymore. Probably kinda the same with the traditional Hearthstone quest, unless I happen to come across a particularily interesting deck.

Remains to be seen if I have enough gold come next expansion to keep playing. Can't fault them for trying to make people spend money on their own game but eh, I'll just stop playing instead if it comes to that choice. Kinda weird way to try to drive profits up.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

I'm doing okay in low diamond with Shopper/mech demon hunter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

I just kept staring my rogue collection tonight. I want pirate rogue to be at least a fine deck so bad. It would seem to have so many interesting and challenging decisions with all the discounts, hand size management, extra summons and bounces.