Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
I'm the weirdo who really enjoys playing as and against the top meta decks (ramp druid and spooky mage), so I had a lot of fun playing a lot this month and even hit legend!

I particularly love that the meta feels very much like a safe space from dumb aggro decks who're being pushed out by spooky mage. The new-ish aggro druid that's been creeping into the meta also feels pretty fair to play against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
If they're hitting neutrals it sounds like they're going after denathrius? Maybe remove the initial 5 damage, or make it infuse 2 instead of 1? Or they could also maybe go after kael, but I haven't found him to be that backbreaking. Going after my boy theotar would be counter intuitive, it feels like it's the only thing you can use to defend yourself against the combo pieces, even if it's mostly used in mirror matches.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
I have zero interest in BGs, especially after trying it out a few times, so I just sent the quest to the bin.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
I don't know if it's a lack of refinement for the cooler decks, but the patch did the opposite of making the game more interesting for me. Imp+Curse warlock is kinda fun, but I could do without the absolutely boring highroll aggro decks.

Oenis fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 12, 2022

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
I thought the meta of ramp druid and mage was much more enjoyable than the absolute dominance that wallet midrange hunter presents. Very boring. Worst part is, it's likely to stay this way until the mini set. Ugh.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Lurks With Wolves posted:

I know no one really cares about Mercenaries around here, but at least their single burst of content this expansion is getting mentioned literally at all before the patch notes.

Also, there better be literally any cards that make playing totems worthwhile in the rest of the mini-set, or Totemic Evidence is going to be as nothing as the rest of the package.

I do care a little, enough to have a full collection at least. (not maxed though, I'm not a maniac) I'm prepared to jump right in as soon as there's good endgame PvE content to speak of. Which has been announced for the end of the year or so, I think.

Also mini set coming out on tuesday is a pleasant surprise, means I can hold off on spending ~6000 dust for the beast hunter -- I dusted all the wild seed stuff after the nerfs.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Remind me how immune works again, aren't there certain effects that circumvent it, like psychic scream? Does starfish work? Gigafin?

Also yeah Sylvanas is pretty good on paper (especially when compared to vanilla HS cards like assassinate or mind control), but when I look at how you usually die in this meta it's rarely from any single huge beatstick but most frequently a board full of varied minions of all sizes. Or face damage with spells, which this also does nothing against.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
The latest VS report just came out, It has relic DH in the middle of Tier 3

For more context, you can read the full report here:
https://www.vicioussyndicate.com/vs-data-reaper-report-242/

Oenis fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Sep 23, 2022

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
The what now. For years they've been feeding us the lie that they are 1-2 cycles ahead.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
It's the only silver bullet against the flood of "I win" cards they have been printing.

(Not the only one, there's also Mutanus. But the number of silver bullets is less than the number of single-card finishers, is my point)

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Hunterstone is so boring, gimme back Druidstone. What's the scuttlebutt on the balancing changes front?

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

victorious posted:

If the persistent rumours are true and Death Knights are coming back in some form, it would be pretty crazy to see the old Death Knights come back temporarily as part of the lead-up. That would definitely shake up the meta.

I'm not sure the old death knight cards as-is would even have any kind of significant impact. They have very little support in the rest of the set, and have been significantly powercrept since they've come out.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

bravesword posted:

Rexxar would see play just because it’s a fun card and people like it, but the meta’s not favorable for its grindy effect.

Remind me, any Wild Rexxar enjoyers, has the make-a-beast discovery pool been updated over the years, or has it stayed the same? Can you get, say, a rat king effect on your beast?

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
You should easily be able to reach rank 5 diamond with this deck, commonly referred to as dad legend, because going to actual legend requires an increasing amount of effort, and all you get is an extra pack.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Math You posted:

Hey, I stopped playing hearthstone a few years back. I had a pretty good collection as of saviors of uldum, and nothing after that.

Looking at the game now there seems to be a few new game modes and obviously several new expansions. I figured I'd at least be able to play wild but you can't use classic cards in that mode now??
I got some welcome back big druid dragon deck but it seems pretty mediocre.
I figured I'd just spend the 7000 gold or so I have on the latest expansion packs but when I checked the shop there's all sorts of mini packs and poo poo with a set list of cards you get with them. I have no idea if they are any good or will enable any decks for me.

Anyway, I'm wondering where I should focus. Are there any competitive wild decks I should be able to field with my current cards? What are some good, low cost decks I can work towards and major pieces for the expansion? Any critical cards I should craft from other xpacks in standard?
Any of the newer game modes exceptional?

It's all a lot to pour over so some expert opinions will be appreciated. Thanks!

If you can hold off a few more weeks, a new expansion is going to be announced on tuesday, I'd wait for that to come out before you spend all your money on current packs. There's also supposed to be new free decks for returning players that will be announced then.

I like d0nkey.top a lot more than hsreplay, you don't have dumb paygates and better filtering. Maybe you could do Even Shaman with minimal investment if you have Genn already? https://www.d0nkey.top/decks?format=1&period=past_week

Otherwise if you want to go with standard, aggro druid should be the cheapest deck to craft.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
I hate decks like this because either you draw like poo poo and roll over or you get the nuts and the opponent has zero counterplay before dying to your bullshit. These highroll decks have been the bane of hearthstone ever since keleseth came out. But other than this deck, which is not exactly common, and jackpot highrolls, the meta is pretty okay right now overall.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Can't say I'm not excited, the Death Knight rune system seems cool, I wonder if that's coming to the other classes some day.
I also really like that with the KotFT set returning and the new card we are bound to have another significant meta shake-up. The Shaman DK will probably boost evolve shaman, I'm not so sure about the others. A new DK for demon hunter would've been cool, but probably too much to ask.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Ugh why are there Battlegrounds rewards in my Hearthstone event rewards track. That's terrible for all players who exclusively play one or the other.

edit: holy poo poo spreading plague is back in standard

Oenis fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 1, 2022

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Gwaint posted:

Death Knight looks like it's going to be disgustingly OP like Demon Hunter was at launch. Also Death Knight is yet another class for which I don't really get the appeal of the fantasy of the class, so I guess it's nice I get to open more card packs to get cards I won't use.

Kind of lame we get two ARGH SUPER BADASS I WILL DESTROY YOU AND YOUR FAMILY edgelord classes back to back

Oh well, hope everyone who enjoys the idea of playing death knight has lots of fun with it

On the bright side, with Death Knight out of the way, a Pandaria/Monk expansion for peace-loving, beer-chugging treehuggers like us is only a matter of time :)

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
obvious hightlights from KotFT:

Druid: Spreading Plague, Crypt Lord, Ultimate Infestation. Some meme potential with Gnash and DK Malf and the Questline? Will the return of Hadronox be enought to enable Deathrattle Druid?

Hunter: Bear Shark, DK Rexxar, some big beast/deathrattle synergies with Play Dead, Corpse Widow and Abominable Bowman. If your deck revolves around getting maximum value out of Mountain Bear your deck is probably bad but you're in for a treat.

Mage: Pretty much nothing. No idea if DK Jaina has a chance competing against Dawngrasp. Not optimistic.

Paladin: Righteous Protector. This was a terrible Paladin set otherwise.

Priest: Spirit Lash, big/rez priest tools like Eternal Servitude, Shadow Essence and Obsidian Statue, also Benny for Thief Priest could be crazy.
Shadowreaper Anduin too. I can dig it.

Rogue: Lilian Voss was a card that saw very little play in standard back then, but she's a great fit for Tess Rogue. Spectral Pillager (6 mana minion, combo: deal damage equal to the number of cards you played this turn) could be interesting but most likely redundant and too expensive for the Rogue deck that spends a single turn to play 10 cards and gets a beefy stealth dude and a large dagger.

Shaman: lol this was the Moorabi expansion. I will be so happy if this finally ends up being a viable archetype. There's never been so much freeze support, so maybe? DK Thrall evolve shaman will probably overshadow any such attempts though.

Warlock: Defile, baby. Drain Soul, Gnomeferatu, Howlfiend + Treachery, and DK Guldan. This was a crazy expansion and will give Warlock even more flexibility with deckbuilding.

Warrior: A lot of enrage warrior tools that could push that archetype further into viability and then Dead Man's Hand for the memes and dreams.

Neutral: Oh god Keleseth is back. The rest is filler by today's standards. How good are cards like Bone Mare and The Lich King by today's standards? Probably not very.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Toshimo posted:

"Terrible" is a bit of an overstatement if it's just a daily you can reroll, and not a requirement (as spoiled). That, and it's still a unified client. It's not so bad to just play a game or two in another mode if you want faster rewards.

This is what I'm talking about, these are the rewards you have to actively work for (by playing Hearthstone, not BGs), and it's either wasted for those who don't play Battlegrounds, or annoying to earn when all you want to do is play Battlegrounds. I was hoping that now that BG has their own rewards track we would be spared from any further BG exclusive bullshit in mainline Hearthstone.

It is terrible.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Mayveena posted:

All I see is the one spell. Can someone give me the name of a card that I can look up? Thanks!

You can also see all the Knights of the Frozen Throne cards at a glance in your collection under here:

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Ugh been trying for 6 games to find a chance to play sindragosa and trigger her deathrattles for the quest but I'm always already dead or too close to dying.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Will this quest trigger in a game with friends? I don't play mage and need to get this done too, so if you (or anyone else) want to help cheese this out I'm open

Managed to do it in casual after eventually queueing into a mage with the same idea. Best of luck to you!

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

bravesword posted:

I mean, Corpses are pretty easy to figure out. We’ve been playing with Infuse for three months and it’s basically the same mechanic, with the exception that some of the Death Knight tokens don’t increment the mechanic. (The fact that Corpse cards expend your dead minions is offset by the fact that they don’t have to be drawn to begin building.) It’s so easy to charge Denathrius, Sylvanas, Devourer, etc, that I have to figure Corpse cards will be pretty easy to use consistently unless you’re playing like 22 spells or something.

I looked this up because I was confused on what does and doesn't give corpses, maybe this helps someone else: If you summon a token via the new raise a corpse mechanic, it won't give a corpse when it dies. Otherwise, any time a friendly minion dies, you get a corpse.

From what has been revealed, I'm most excited for a Blood/Frost Death Knight, but there's still a lot of cards to go. Patchwerk alone is worth the price of admission for Blood and I can't imagine a world where it does not get nerfed.

Also, so far we got Frostmourne, Anti Magic Shell, Army of the Dead and Obliterate, I think it's pretty safe to assume that we'll get the rest of the Lich King set in some form as well.

Oenis fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Nov 8, 2022

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

https://youtu.be/D11auLUWnwA?t=486

"It has been confirmed that the following cards did not match the DK identity:
Death Coil
Death and Decay
Death Grip
Doom Pact"

so 4 out of 8 is all

That's weird, Doom Pact I understand, but Death Coil could've been a fine Blood Rune card? I thought they were about life manipulation and healing. And Patchwerk is already one half of Death Grip, and Overseer Frigidara is a conditional Death and Decay, so blaming class identity in particular feels weird when they've managed to rework Army of the Dead in a similar fashion.

But thanks for the info!

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
New 1 and 2 frost rune cards are up on twitter, 3 frost rune cards are coming in 30 minutes: https://twitter.com/PlayHearthstone

1 frost rune cards seem insanely strong and absolutely worth splashing (better conc that draws a card and 3 mana frostbolt+swipe, on top of some insane tempo/aggro cards).
2 frost rune cards are strong too, but in a way that has frost synergy to the point where you probably might as well go 3 - depends what the payoff is, I'm not sold on the 7 mana spell that has been revealed already.

edit:

Ok this card is bonkers combined with how good frost spells are, how easy it is to draw them, and how many of them can go face.

Oenis fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 8, 2022

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
I keep reading on reddit that reborn minions only ever give one corpse instead of 2 like I had assumed, does anyone have an official source for that handy? I couldn't find one and I want to know for sure.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Blood DK has some nice control options, but I can't imagine it bonking heads with something like Aggro Druid and coming out ahead, so I think it'll fall flat even with cards like Blood Boil and Corpse explosion. It's just way too slow and Morgraine is a bait card if I've ever seen one in a world where Denathrius is already the apex of inevitability.

I'll wait for Mark Mckz to try and stack the effect 10 times somehow for the OTK and that'll be good enough for me.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
1. Play FFF Death Knight
2. Draw a lot of frost spells that can go face
3. Tutor out Malygos with Tealan Fordring
4. Play and kill Bonelord and Lady Deathwhisper (copy frost spells in your hand)
5. Play free Malygos and send your opponent to the cold storage

edit: Nevermind spell damage maly isn't even in standard. Guild Trader will have to do. Spelldraw Malygos is still good to fill your hand with frost spells

Oenis fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 12, 2022

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
I dunno, I liked the design spaces that let you mitigate the discard by returning the card to your hand, or making it targeted discard instead of random. The two 5-mana minions revealed so far are pretty bad, but the spells are good. I mean warlock has been top tier for a while now, it's alright if the next set is somewhat lower in power level, but there's still a few more to be revealed. I'm calling it now, there's gonna be a double-sided disruption card among them, where both players discard a card, or possibly even multiple, and it's going to lead to so much frustration.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
All those cards are undead that have been incidentally revealed by playing The Scourge, so we don't know yet what a Vision of Darkness is or does. But a permanent card in your hand certainly seems novel. Maybe something like a repeatable 1 or 2 mana spell: Discover a shadow spell, or gain a random shadow spell or something, if I had to guess?

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Boo, I thought we were getting some Spell-DH support after that first reveal, but it was just a red herring, apparently.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Oenis posted:

All those cards are undead that have been incidentally revealed by playing The Scourge, so we don't know yet what a Vision of Darkness is or does. But a permanent card in your hand certainly seems novel. Maybe something like a repeatable 1 or 2 mana spell: Discover a shadow spell, or gain a random shadow spell or something, if I had to guess?

Almost called it. I think at three mana it's too expensive to be great, though. I mean yeah it's infinite value but a three mana tax for each spell seems very steep.

This, however, is the power creep that will probably carry shadow priest quite a bit.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
I love the idea of Souleater's Scythe to enable spell DH. What are the 2 other minions you run besides Jace? Also, do I understand it right that you could use these discovers to get like 3 Jace if you wanted?

Maybe you'd want Xymox since Relics are so good, but the infuse requirement is probably awkward. Lady S'theno for burst? Mel'tranix for disruption? Glaiveshark for Aoe?

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Aw yeah, I loved Shudderwock, I loved Zul'jin, I loved Tess, I'm going to be all over this one. Is this card going to break wild when someone figures out a way to consistently generate a copy Echo of Medivh/Potion of Illusion? I hope so.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Kalko posted:

Does Hunter have a lot of arcane spells?

I guess this is everything arcane adjacent to Halduron:

Can ricochet hit the same target (face) three times?

Even then, you'd have to have a clear board and hit all the arcane synergy draws perfectly to do something like 3x4 damage for 1 mana.

Oenis fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Nov 26, 2022

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
On the topic of combos, just lost my first game to a degenerate druid celestial anubarak combo otk featuring smite and faceless and battlemaster and the new druid undeads on turn 6 or 7. Don't dawdle! Also how the gently caress did he have all the cards of this 8ish card combo and the perfect ramp to boot. I'm over here trying to play janky vs lists before the meta settles and they become unplayable.

Spell DH is pretty fun and good, amorphous warlock didn't work for me because I drew both undeads in my mulligan twice, and rager priest is okay but feels slow to get online and is pretty one dimensional.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Don't touch my Brann, I still want to do things like Brann + Migraine against control or Brann + Patchwerk against combo decks as DK. The issue is and will always be druid's crazy mana cheating. Druid is blocking a huge amount of design space because they're the king of all inevitability and laugh in the face of any other control attempts, i.e. triple blood DK, big spell mage, deathrattle-discard warlock, etc.

I love playing druid, but going above 10 mana is something that either all or no classes should be able to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Renathal change is sad, I loved 40 card/40 health decks. They should've hall of famed him instead so we can at least use him properly in wild. Hopefully he'll get reverted when he rotates.
Otherwise I would've hoped for more/different buffs to DK, but maybe combined with the nerfs to the power classes it'll get there.