Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Bizarrely, the Kael’thas change is a buff for Quest Priest. As long as you play your seven first, you can play him as your eight, complete the quest, play a 1- or 2-drop, then play the quest reward right away without giving your opponent a chance to Theotar or Mutanus it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
This format seems pretty sweet since the nerfs. The only deck I really hate playing against is Miracle Rogue, which seems to have fallen off over the last few days, and there are multiple decks I’m having fun playing. Surprisingly, the Curse Imp deck feels really fun. I hated the straightforward Imp Aggro version because it felt like you might as well give up if you ever fell behind on board, and I hated Control Curse because of how reactive and passive it is, but the hybrid of the two hits the sweet spot. Sometimes you curve out and tempo them out with minions and buffs, and sometimes you do 10-15 damage with minions then fall back to dealing the rest with Curses. It probably doesn’t have the gas to deal with a deck that has a lot of dedicated healing, but it’s comfortingly versatile against most everything else.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

the exact same article posted:

Ramp Druid appears to have been weakened by the balance changes, but we wouldn’t write it off. There are definitely a few things it can do to adjust to the new format and recover. The important thing is that it can’t get away with taking over the format at huge play rates. It has become more situational. The nerf to Guff succeeded at reducing its late game dominance while maintaining its competitive viability.

I daresay this is more or less what they intended. It clearly wasn’t a nuke-from-orbit change, nor should it have been.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

mcbexx posted:

The devolved minions would still be immune though, from how the Jailer card reads. Right?

Yes, but if the idea is to combine Jailer with some other card that says “I can’t lose as long as this is around” (Bolf/Mal’ganis/Animated Armor, et al), silences and transformations remove the problematic ability. The minion is still immune to damage and targeting, but the ability is gone.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Mercenaries still feels like the devs saying “The suits yelled at us when we launched Battlegrounds without any monetization and it became a big hit; so we made sure our new mode would have it baked-in.” They seem to alternate between not caring about it in the slightest and not expecting anyone else to either, or desperately pretending it’s a big draw that people are anxiously awaiting news and updates for.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Just think of immune as permanent divine shield plus permanent stealth and you’re 95% of the way there. No damage, no unfriendly targeting, no attacks. Everything else works as normal.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
How many control mirrors are being played in Wild? When I made my one attempt to seriously climb in Wild is was all Pirates past, like, Platinum 5. (And I was playing Mind Blast Priest myself, so I wasn’t helping anything.)

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Literally a year ago the knock against the game was that it was pure solitaire; each player racing to do their own broken thing and ignoring the opponent because there was no viable axis of interaction. It got so bad that I ended up taking an eight-month break from the game, so from that angle, Theotar and its ilk is fine by me. Mana cheat and card draw/consistency are a far more frustrating aspect of this format to me.

I could see Theotar pushed to five to he isn’t quite as free to include and only goes into your deck if you’re specifically targeting something (a la Rustrot Viper, etc), but his overall effect is healthy, in my opinion.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
I’m not sure what you hit in Beast Hunter, to be honest. The deck is just kind of generically strong rather than having any huge outliers that demand attention. I guess revert the Harpoon Gun buff, but that’s not enough, surely? Tack a mana on Pet Collector?

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Shockeh posted:

I don’t think you can. Literally, the only reason Guff isn’t 100% of Ladder is that Hunter deck exists, and the moment you drop it, he’s back. Game is actually hosed right now.

This is silly. Lots of decks besides Hunter beat Ramp Druid. Aggro Demon Hunter, Aggro Druid, Naga Priest, Pure Paladin, Miracle Rogue, and Secret Mage all have a positive matchup against it, and Control Shaman and Relic Demon Hunter are even. The problem is that many of those decks are themselves terrible against Beast Hunter — the two DH decks especially may as well not even bother. Beast Hunter doesn’t need to be completely obliterated, but you could tune it down a little and you’d have the makings of a healthy format.

I’m just not sure how best to do it.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Go back seven years and tell yourself that King Krush is seeing more serious Constructed play than Tirion Fordring, Lord Jaraxxus, Grommash Hellscream, or any Dragon Aspect.

bravesword fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 7, 2022

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Mayveena posted:

Tirion hasn't had a fit in even Tier 1 Pally meta decks, probably because he costs too much for what he is and/or the Pally meta has been dominated by mid speed play vs control style play. Lord Jarraxxus doesn't fit in any kind of Warlock deck, he should probably be re-thought as it doesn't look like there's going to be a deck for him in any future metas. No warriors running Grommash? I don't run warriors so I wouldn't know. King Krush is currently a staple in Beast Hunter and was a staple in the previous meta expansion, so he's certainly current.

(note I'm only discussing Standard here).

Yeah, I know. The point was that back in vanilla, those cards were all seen as the best class legendaries (along with Edwin) and King Krush was viewed as easily the worst. (In fact, the joke back then was that the “real” Hunter legendary was Savannah Highmane, a card that these days is played more often off of Reconnaissance than actually put into decks.) None of those cards were changed, even (Jaraxxus was actually buffed twice). It’s just strange how the game has changed around them so much.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
I don’t think a balance change merits a “something fun.” I think it’s more likely they’ll do some kind of temporary ladder event, like the Wild cards thing from a few years back. Maybe run it through the month of November and end it when the next expansion comes out.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Yeah, even setting aside the fact that Demon Hunter doesn’t have one, I don’t think… any of the Death Knights would see play? (Maybe Shadowreaper Anduin?) Rexxar would see play just because it’s a fun card and people like it, but the meta’s not favorable for its grindy effect. Gul’dan is powerful but big Demons are on a low swing right now. The others have all been power crept into oblivion.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
I played a variant of it before Nathria came out, and while it’s definitely not a top tier pick, it can do some broken stuff. The list I played used Nerubian Egg rather than Mine — it’s a low roll on Smokescreen and Counterfeit Blade, but it provides much greater tempo opportunities in conjunction with Shattershambler, Lieutenant, and Graveyard. I copied the list from Kibler — he’s probably got gameplay videos on his YouTube channel.

Anyway, my last minute zero-inside-information prediction before the announcement tomorrow is: Death Knight is being added, but rather than a free giveaway legendary, the entire Death Knight Initiate set (or equivalent) will be made available.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Hahaha, Glacial Memories is back to gently caress up the Jackpots and Runes of the Archmage of a whole new generation.

Another weird card that affects the format just by being legal in it is the overload Giant; that means evolving a Gnoll will always give you a vanilla 8/8 rather that potentially giving you Onyxia or Denathrius or Graveborn or what have you.

I wonder if there are any decks whatsoever for which truth is found in death. Kind of doubt it — Snapdragon sunk without a ripple.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
The major problem with Death Knight Uther is that he overwrites the Cariel weapon, which is far and away the most compelling reason to play any kind of late game Paladin strategy.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
The hilarious thing about Death Knight Gul’dan is that the best thing he can resurrect is, like, the Dark Alley Pact token. The big demons in Standard aren’t just bad, they’re nonexistent.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Color Printer posted:

The rune mechanic is very interesting because it lets them make death knight a very varied class without letting them go completely apeshit at everything at once, all the time. Their strengths are many. Their weakness is they can't exploit all their strengths in one deck.

Yeah, it’s interesting. It kind of feels like they learned a lesson from Demon Hunter’s launch where even some of the cards that were clearly intended for other archetypes, like Imprisoned Antaen and Priestess of Fury, ended up getting nerfed because they were so strong in the aggro shells. It also avoids the problem that pops up periodically where they miss on the power level of a deck and can’t print anything good for that class for like a year out of fear of making the strong deck even better. If a card would be too good in Blood Death Knight, say, you can add a few more Unholy or Frost runes to it instead of outright nerfing it and making it a weaker card for everyone.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
I mean, Corpses are pretty easy to figure out. We’ve been playing with Infuse for three months and it’s basically the same mechanic, with the exception that some of the Death Knight tokens don’t increment the mechanic. (The fact that Corpse cards expend your dead minions is offset by the fact that they don’t have to be drawn to begin building.) It’s so easy to charge Denathrius, Sylvanas, Devourer, etc, that I have to figure Corpse cards will be pretty easy to use consistently unless you’re playing like 22 spells or something.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Celestalon went into Death Coil a little on Twitter. He said they only want Death Knights healing their hero, not minions, and even that healing should be more proactive (lifesteal etc).

We’ll see if that stands up. It wouldn’t be the first time they went back on a class’s supposed weakness because they had a cool individual card they wanted to make *cough*essentially the entire history of Druid*cough*.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Frost looks like generic-rear end miracle/combo/burst stuff, which is less than boring to me. I didn’t like it when Rogue did it, I didn’t like it when Priest did it, I I didn’t like it when Druid did it, I didn’t like it when Mage did it, and I didn’t like it when Demon Hunter did it, so I can’t imagine this take on it will be the one that grabs me. Hopefully Unholy and Blood have some stuff that’s more my speed.

It’s kind of weird in retrospect that they went all-in on the Volatile Skeletons theme for Mage last set knowing that ability would be in Death Knight’s wheelhouse going forward.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Kalko posted:

I think it is still true because I remember when the warrior quest came out a dev commented that they were still using it during playtesting for the expansion due in 12 months or something.

It’s never been confirmed, but I feel absolutely certain that the Suspicious Pirate from Nathria was nerfed in development as a direct result of the Questline. The other two Suspicious guys are one mana 1/3s, but the Pirate one is a Spider Tank, despite its effect not really being any stronger — but it does have the Pirate tag, and after nerfing the Pirate Questline twice, I bet they were leery about giving that deck another cheap Pirate to work with.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
I believe they did confirm that “discover a spell” disregards runes. School Teacher seems absurd in DK if so — there are very few whiffs, and lots of strong cards. (Imagine doubling Vampiric Blood with Brann, going to 60, and also incidentally drawing two cards.)

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
My experience trying to make Pyros work in a much lower-powered format makes me immediately skeptical of this thing.

I actually think it’s better in Shaman, though. Bolner + the third version is 32 missiles, and there’s lots of places elsewhere in the curve to squeeze in the first two pieces.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Weirdly, my first thought was Totem Shaman. That deck’s great at tossing a bunch of bodies onto the board, it’s just terrible at turning them into a real threat in the absence of Stonewright or Bloodlust. Maybe play the three mana spell and the legendary and suddenly clearing your board is a lot less free. The Murloc even works with Macaw, which you kind of want to be playing anyway (for Stonewright/Denathrius/Fool) but is also capable of creating do-nothing hands.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Oh, wonderful, they’re pushing Discard Warlock again. Does anyone actually like this archetype?

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
So granted, we haven't seen all the cards yet, and granted, it's a pretty open-ended theme (so they could be seeding cards for next year after the Deathrattle and Fel packages rotate)... but it's so weird to go all-in on Outcast tribal as a theme right now. The full list of Outcast cards in Standard is as follows:

Crimson Sigil Runner
Spectral Sight
Wayward Sage
Eye Beam
Gan'arg Glaivesmith
Chaos Leech
Kurtrus Ashfallen
Vengeful Spirit

So, at best, you can destroy a few medium sized creatures and draw some cards. (And two of the new Outcast payoff cards add more cards to your hand as their "reward.") I just don't see what this deck is supposed to look like, even setting aside the question of how good it's going to be. How do you win? None of these cards are proactive in any way.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
I mean, the dream with Asvedon is catching Rune of the Archmage or a Jackpot spell or something, but there are a lot of random-rear end spells that would be perfectly fine stapled to a three mana 3/3 even if they aren’t a total blowout — Arcane Intellect, Thrive in the Shadows, etc. The questions are a) what deck wants this, and b) are there enough decks where this is basically blank that it becomes a liability. (The only good target versus Beast Hunter is infused Frenzied Fangs, for example, and Imp Warlock doesn’t have any good picks.) I assume targeting is random, also.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Enrage Warrior's a tempo deck. If you're playing that deck and someone wrecks you with a seven mana Rotnest Drake, you were going to lose anyway. I think the Fire package is meant for Enrage, not combo or control.

bravesword fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 21, 2022

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

kater posted:

So I can't claim the level 100 season hero portrait reward?

It's a bug. You'll be able to claim it once the next patch drops and everything from the previous reward track is autoclaimed.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
This is not exactly the same take on Rez Priest as has been tried in the past, though. It’s not really the same as bringing back endless Obsidian Statues or Neptulons. It looks more like a reload/value tool in a tempo deck.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

GTO posted:

That's just deck of lunacy right? The only rotated that out this year...

It only affects your hand.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Oenis posted:

Aw yeah, I loved Shudderwock, I loved Zul'jin, I loved Tess, I'm going to be all over this one. Is this card going to break wild when someone figures out a way to consistently generate a copy Echo of Medivh/Potion of Illusion? I hope so.

It works with Sivara, so that’s definitely the easy way. It’s probably too slow for Wild though.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
I guess that explains why they preemptively nerfed Earthen Scales.

Incidentally, I expect the rarity is off on one of the Druid cards — as currently listed, they’ve got four commons and two rares, instead of the 3/3 split classes usually get.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
I’m not sure what Rogue deck even wants Concoctions. They’re not strong enough to go all-in on as the central theme in your deck, they’re too slow and expensive for Miracle, and I don’t think Thief has space unless it cuts the secret package or something. They’re a neat midrange value mechanic, but what’s the deck look like?

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Conjured Arrow is the big payoff here. It’s an absurd card with no buffs whatsoever as long as you can hold off until the manathirst kicks in; with two or three points of spell damage it’s laughably broken. It is disappointing that Arcane Shot is literally the only other Arcane Hunter card in Standard, but I could see the whole package going into some kind of Naga deck along with Naga’s Pride, the cast-twice guy at four mana, and the three-mana deal five guy.

(It seems pretty clear to me that this whole package was designed around giving the Questline one last push before it rotated, but then they realized everyone hates the Hunter Questline. I wonder if any of the cards were changed as a result.)

As for Denathrius, I wonder how much overlap there is between people complaining about him and people who complained about durdly no-win-condition Priest and Warrior decks.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
The card’s kind of iffy even at five. (I won several games on my climb to legend this month against people who thought it was more important to waste their whole turn stealing my Denathrius or Insatiable Devourer instead of dealing with my board that was actively killing them, never mind the ones who played it at the wrong time and got their choice of Trogg, Ramming Mount, or Pet Collector.) Six mana might actually make it no longer worth playing at all.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
The idea that Nathria is suppressing anything is kind of laughable on its face. All ten classes have at least one viable deck, several more than one, no deck is head-and-shoulders above anything else, the format is neither too fast nor too slow, their card changes have been largely on point, and no cards (not even Renathal or Denathrius) are omnipresent. It’s honestly been one of the most diverse and well-balanced constructed formats they’ve ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Luff posted:

These signature cards look like they're from a completely different game

Yeah, it’s kind of unsettling to go from golden cards to diamond cards to the almost distractingly overanimated legendary skins, then go to the completely lifeless signature treatment. I’m kind of hoping I don’t open any cards I actually want to play in that form.