Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Chernabog posted:

I think my Bob's Buddy app must be broken or something, because I literally lose more often than I win in games I'm favored on. It's so bad that I actually get excited if I win on a 75% chance.

It's not unexpected that the percentages are off a bit after so many major changes. Give it a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

goferchan posted:

Having said this, it's really fun when the two come together. Just had a win with Sneed + Demons + Ritual Blade (when a deathrattle minion dies, give it +4/+4 permanently) and it was a blast; had me changing up my strategy from what I'd do normally but still felt like the tribe and hero power synergies were important.

Quest rewards are so incredibly high-rolly right now that I would almost lean into t3 armor heroes pretty hard because getting a fast quest beats out a good hero power often. People (even the pros) have been very slow to adjust to the new math. Still a lot of people going 3 on 3/ 4 on 4 then doing the shocked pikachu when they top 8.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
BGs aren't pay-to-win, and you don't need the pass to get a 1st. Honestly, if you aren't already a high-tier BG player, just popping in and playing at a remotely competent level should get you a 1st in a couple of tries, even with 2 heroes to pick from. The level of competition is very low and low MMR. Find something better to be mad at.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

goferchan posted:

That said, I'm not sure if the update brought in a lot of new blood or what, but I'm finding myself in some pretty braindead lobbies since the patch.

Yes. Just looking at the leaderboard numbers from week 1, there's been a massive number of people playing BGs. Turns out the Season Pass wasn't the apocalypse people predicted.

Even so, the "good" players have been glacially slow to pick up the quest meta, so I expect lower ranks is just a shitfest.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

PneumonicBook posted:

Putting in more cash only options is cool and good actually!

The alternative was that the game mode goes away because it was losing money, so... Hearthstone is a land of contrasts?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Shockeh posted:

I would be willing to bet a significant sum that like everything ActiBlizz does, it was not losing money. It just wasn't making ENOUGH money.

The entire company has absolutely no interest in creating content beyond 'what is necessary to monetise'. They believe games are art as much as the industrial scale milker believes cows' lives have value.

Maybe, but talking with players of varying backgrounds, I have a sneaky suspicion that BGs weren't selling >$1m/yr in cosmetics. And that's the minimum the game mode was costing them (in reality, I expect the the total cost was somewhere in the $3-5m/yr range).

I could be wrong, but I haven't seen anything to contradict that.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

meatpimp posted:

Edit: The beast Deathrattle exploit has to be called what it is.

What exploit?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

peer posted:

what would battlegrounds look like if neutrals were sometimes excluded from the pool, like any other tribe?

Much worse. Why would you want that?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Yeah, that's the point where you are selling Nomi to hard roll Tunnel Blaster and golden Selfless. Live and learn.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Not really unless he’s actually miles ahead of everyone else, there’s still 5 players left. He lost a 1-in-10

Yes really. He's big enough and it's time to turn that corner.

Btw, HSreplay odds have been incorrect all patch. They are still working on it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Quests are just another RNG lever, and one without a catch-up mechanism. They are like Darkmoon Prizes (also bad), but are 1-and-done and if you get bad ones, welp, enjoy playing for 4th.

I don't think quests can be balanced, but even if they were closer, one of the core problems is that the HSBG dev/test team obviously is so far removed skill-wise from the level they need to be tested at, they made it possible to get quests that are like "Spend 90 gold" or "Lose 5 rounds" and put them in against stuff that's like "Play 4 {type} minions". And nobody's ever going to take the quests that take 5-6 turns minimum to complete, because the very existence of quests jumps the power level up such that you'll be dead by turn 10, much less when you could start generating value off of those. Having a fundamental disconnect that people were going to rush completion on turns 5-7 (hell, at high level, often holding extra minions in hand on T3 to complete faster) and not be puttering around trying to finish on turn 10 or 12 is so removed from reality that there's just no way that they can be capable of pushing out updates that accurately keep up with the meta, which is what the move to paid season pass promised.

That's not even getting into stuff like how there should never exist in live games a 9-10 armor hero. And there's 16 of them (I think, I dunno. Nobody seems to be publishing a current list. Which is also insane.). There's no way that there should be such a massive disparity in power that you could be spotting a hero 10 armor. Every one of those should be pulled and reworked. Like, Millificent has been garbagetown since forever, why not just push the button and changer her from "mechs in tavern" to "mechs summoned". I don't think she'd be burning up lobbies, but at least you'd be able to narrow the armor bands a bit and, by extension, make quests not have laughable bounds.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Yeah, but playing matches and not working towards a quest feels wrong, and I'm going to have to brute force my way into playing thirty Pirates of Quilboar eventually either way.

You can play 30 pirates in 1 match when you get an APM board. Play what's fun, or what wins. Forcing poo poo is miserable.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Firebert posted:

HS devs were paying more attention than the WoW devs given that Nathanos didn’t show up once during Shadowlands

Yeah he did. They killed his rear end off right near the start because nobody wanted that gross self-inset for the dev who wanted to gently caress Sylvanas in their game anymore.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Chernabog posted:

Yuuup.... par for the course.

If you want some real-time help, I could hop on discord and spectacle at some point.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

goferchan posted:

What does the Cavalry Horn do for you there with a bunch of 1-drops in the deck? I don't think it's summons count as "played" for Kael

Because they are 1-drops, you empty your hand very fast and then play horn and swing.

Next turn you play 2x 1-drops, swing to death rattle Kael in, and play Jailer for free.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Anyone know anything about Mercenaries? Specifically, about the passive XP from putting dudes in the Training Camp. Is the XP gain linear? Or am I penalized for swapping dudes before the 25 hour mark?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Lurks With Wolves posted:

As far as I know, the gain is linear, but there's also no practical reason to take anyone out early unless you need someone to be level 30 right now for a task or you realized you just don't care about leveling someone right now.

Because I'm not going to be around for a while after the timer hits, so I'm just swapping now to someone who will get the full benefit.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

meatpimp posted:

Still exists, I still call it an exploit. This is loving absurd.

They don't have ritual dagger? What exploit is this?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

PneumonicBook posted:

And yet if Beasts are around someone is always able to put it together, somehow.

Only in slow, low MMR lobbies. When people actually learn to play, they often get punished out or people learn to play around it. It's a strong build, but that's in a field of strong builds.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
lmao I had to call my roommate in to watch this one wrap.

I didn't even have enough time to build BIG BEEFY BOIS. Had to settle for donking people out for 20-25 damage/turn for 5 rounds.

Mad props to 3rd golden hogger who I sold a bigger, better golden hogger to replace with a perma divine shield one.

Ended one turn with 58 gold unspent and 10 cards in hand.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Marvel Snap is a grift with laser-focused microtransactions so predatory stapled on the execs at blizzard have had raging boners all week and don't know why. It's not much of a game and is entirely designed to separate players from their money in ways that Hearthstone could only dream. For all the people who crow about gEmS In mY hEaRtHsToNe and BATTUL PASSEZ, you should go play Marvel Snap for a week to get a sense of perspective.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

victorious posted:

Snap has one major mixed blessing in that while you can't spend $ to just buy/craft all the good cards, you're at the mercy of RNG as to when you do get certain cards as you progress. I got lucky by finding Ka-Zar early but I'm at level 80 or something now and still no sign of Angela who seems to be pretty core.

I'll repost what I dropped in a discord last night:

I would say this about Marvel Snap, and I think it deserves a pin as a public service: if this scratches your itch, do what you enjoy, but everyone should read how the progression/monetization works, because its incredibly opaque, predatory, and unintuitive, and nobody should be throwing money or excessive time at this without a basic understanding of what the app is asking from you to be able to meaningfully play.

-------------

The progression is intentionally obscured and you hit the wall pretty quickly, so if your account didn't roll the correct order of card unlocks, you get drowned in meta decks after a certain point and since there's no targeted way to get the cards you need to complete a deck, it's either sink literal thousands into the slot machine or just never progress. There's also no catchup mechanisms, so the people who started playing earlier will be far ahead and able to leverage that advantage to stay ahead on the ladder. Additionally, the matchmaking is populated largely by bots (this is intentional, the bots are NPCs that the app generates to keep matchmaking time short), and the early adopters got to boost their ranking against bots in the absence of enough players to matchmake. Later players will have to grind their early levels against real people making progress slower.

-------------

All the cards in Marvel Snap are allocated to Pools. You get cards on the progression track for the Pool you are in based on your Collection Level (CL). Your randomly assigned hidden seed given on account creation determines what order inside each pool you get cards in the pool.

The pools are:
• {All Starter and Recruit Season cards} => These cards are not in any of the pools and are earned differently.
• Pool 1 => 46 cards. You earn these from CL 18 to CL 214.
• Pool 2 => 25 cards. You earn these from CL 222 to CL 474.
• Pool 3 => 75+ cards. You earn these at CL 486+.

The early estimates for "complete collection of all cards in all pools", when 75 cards were in Pool 3, was CL 2700-3250.

All new cards get added to Pool 3 (and, my suspicion is, after the cards already assigned to your account seed, so after CL 2700).

And there are no targeted ways to circumvent the pools or the CL. You are expected to just dump cash to boost CL or grind for 1000s of hours to get the cards you want. And all the new, cool, meta-defining stuff? Stuck at the end of the grind.

Also, as this is a PvP game, that means that everyone you get matched up against on ladder who has been playing longer is just permanently ahead of you. In the early meta, the game was all about abusing multiple copies of Nova with Carnage/Punisher. But a lot of the meta-critical cards, Armor, Cosmo, Winter Soldier, they were locked behind CL and the people who got their first just stayed ahead because they got unlocks faster from winning more. Even doing dorky stuff like making a Collector or Galactus deck was often impossible because you just couldn't assemble the pieces.

The novelty wears off quickly and the game absolutely pelts you with ads to SPEND MORE MONEY GET MORE CARDS. All while industry golden boy, Ben Brode, who hopped out of Blizzard right as all the sex pest stuff hit full steam, claims that this is the "fairest, free-to-play experience you can get".

In addition, they also got clapped back about this once: https://www.dexerto.com/gaming/marvel-snap-devs-backflip-nexus-events-1887284/

These events essentially mirror loot boxes, where players use in game currency to perform a gacha roll to unlock exclusive rewards. A single Nexus Event roll cost 180 gold, and 10 rolls cost 1,800 gold. The highest tier cards had a 1.5% drop rate, but there are three different rewards placed at this tier.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
lmao never stop "exploiting" I guess.

He had the same comp but worse.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMnjF1O4eH0

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
If people are interested in some more real-time chat, and things like links for new players, I've set up a discord: https://discord.gg/AjHKNsPZ

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I've not done constructed in years, but as I recall, I can get some end-of-month rewards for placing on the various ladders? Does each ladder give rewards or just 1 of them? Either way, for someone with no current cards to speak of, is there a cheap deck I can find through enough ranks to get some cards?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Brann works with plenty of stuff, and is particularly good with a few quests.

It's not just murlocs. Buffs like jug and smogger and the pirate are very good.

But the big thing with Brann is often econ: getting to use reef explorer, tavern tempest, primalfin, even the naga and pirate can come in handy.

But, yes, he interacts with things that trigger your onboard battlecries, like Snicker Snacks and Murk-eye.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

kater posted:

theres no early game morluc battlecries

Also, wat?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

AnacondaHL posted:

They are on now, I had to refresh to see it

For next Tuesday's stream?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

AnacondaHL posted:

Yes, but also for the Fall Championship happening all weekend

I don't even know what I'm supposed to be looking for this (small indie company, etc.).

I checked https://www.twitch.tv/drops/campaigns and don't see anything.

I checked https://www.twitch.tv/playhearthstone/schedule and the schedule is empty.

How do I find out what's going on?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

victorious posted:

It's on YouTube.

Thanks, I found it and linked accounts.

The schedule is still messed up though.

Going to full schedule doesn't have anything for this weekend and shows me that the Summer Tournament is live.

Can't imagine using Youtube for this.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

victorious posted:

Id recommend watching Habugabu's 2 series from today/yesterday, he brought a full-aggro lineup and ended up playing 6 games in about 45 mins.

I do appreciate that, and I think that's probably more watchable than Renethal mirrors, but I was really just trying to get my free pack. Didn't expect it to be an ordeal.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

AnacondaHL posted:

Reminder: 2.5 hours until the ~Announcement~, i.e. free pack

Yeah. Freed up my lunch hour to give it a watch.

As an update, we've had some pretty good discussion going in discord, if anyone else wants to hop in, and I'll definitely be bullshitting about this stream in there. I've also set up the Stream as an event so you can opt-in for reminders, if that's your thing. So, feel free to pop in: https://discord.gg/ac63nU83F4

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Oenis posted:

Ugh why are there Battlegrounds rewards in my Hearthstone event rewards track. That's terrible for all players who exclusively play one or the other.

"Terrible" is a bit of an overstatement if it's just a daily you can reroll, and not a requirement (as spoiled). That, and it's still a unified client. It's not so bad to just play a game or two in another mode if you want faster rewards.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Blasmeister posted:

So this time unlike with DH when adding a new class they're making you pay gold to get half the basic pile of cards for it rather than giving it free?

No???

32 class cards for DK free with completion of the free solo campaign.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I just had a queue to log in. It looks like today's patch is Too Popular.

Blasmeister posted:

Is there a reason to not 'dust' your maxed merc excess coins for renown I'm missing? Some disclosed future use for coins that doesn't use the renown middle-man I'm forgetting? They give you a big dust all type button so i'm kinda assuming they intend you to just dump everything right away

Also, no. Just dust ur coins.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Luff posted:

The new spellcraft golden quest reward in BGs seems to be a bit buggy. After goldening a Lava Lurker with it permanently (as expected), I goldened Tough Tusk with it to see if I could get a permanent divine shield from one blood gem. That ended up giving me a permanently golden Tough Tusk instead of just a permanent DS

For some reason, a +3 health and taunt spellcraft I put on a pupbot also became permanent. The rest of the spellcrafts I played worked as intended instead of sticking permanently

I saw someone Uther a Baron to 15/15, spell craft it golden, and then every round it would turn back to regular baron at 14/8 and he had to regolden it to get back to 15/15.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

kater posted:

why are naga goldens so atrocious? I feel like most of the other archetypes get 'same as if you own two' but divine shield and windfury snakes specifically get bumpkis.

Those are pretty much the only bad ones. Athissa/Orgozoa/Wrangler/Brute/Myrmidon are all A++ triples.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dr Christmas posted:

About this Battle Bash in Battlegrounds: I get one free hammer. To get more, I have to pay for two more, and then I’ll earn the ability to get more as I get top 4 placements. I do not get any after the initial free one unless I pay.

Am I interpreting that right?

Correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

meatpimp posted:

I've only been playing a couple years, and casual at that, but I have a question about RNG matchmaking in battlegrounds.

Last week I was around 6300 ranking and fairly steadily moving up. Just as I got close to 6500, I started getting absolutely shithammered by builds that were easily double my strength by endgame.

This continued, for a week. I kept getting hammered and hammered with a string of finishes at 6 or 7. It took me down to 6000 and hung there for a bit. Then, all of a sudden, I was competitive again and putting together finishes of 2 or 3. Nothing changed in my play style, what am I missing?

I believe there was a rank floor at one point around 6000, but really, it's that you are reaching the point where you cross over from "people who play BGs on the toilet" in the 6000-6500 range and into the "tryhard" range in 7k+. The players have all the same resources you do, so it's just about learning the meta and getting better, at this point.