Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

quote:

Q: What are Runestones?

A: Runestones will be replacing real money purchases for nearly every product in the Hearthstone shop. Some products, like Pre-Purchase Bundles, the Hearthstone Tavern Pass, and Packs (purchasing more than one at a time) will be able to be purchased with money or Runestones. A few other select products, like individual packs and cosmetics crafted in the Collection, will remain purchasable with only Gold.

With Runestones we’ll be able to offer additional smaller-scale items, such as the individual Battlegrounds Hero Skins offered in the shop with this patch. Runestones will be available in bundles of various sizes, including quantities that correspond to our major products (like the Battlegrounds Season Pass), so you can buy exactly the quantity needed for that product or you can stock up on more for later. No product costs are changing with this conversion—all prices are staying the same, just converted to Runestones.

Q: Can I earn Runestones in-game?

A: No, there are no plans to earn Runestones in-game.

So now we need to do math before we can realize all the bundles are too expensive to be worth it. Great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Mayveena posted:

I guess they missed the part where people hate that poo poo.

I'll give them this much: they are, for the moment, following their stated purpose of "this is literally the same cost as before, we just want to sell smaller products, but anything less than $5 gets too much eaten by transaction fees to get approved". There's still no reason to trust them to not be exploitative trash going forward, but I am pleasantly surprised we have any time of it being reasonably straightforward.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

goferchan posted:

The only change here is no more battleground perks with gold right?

Yeah, the only actual economy changes are the battlegrounds pass no longer being available for gold and switching to a runestone system (which in theory shouldn't change anything until they start actually selling things for less than $5, given how they implemented it).

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Navaash posted:

Uh, yeah, they're already doing this. There are a bunch of individual skins in the BG shop right now that cost 150 stone. Which I'm fine with, because that's exactly the kind of thing I would like to be able to pick and choose.

... They had one job. Motherfucker.

(But seriously, at least let us buy a pack of them for $7.50 or something so you don't have a weird amount of runestones at literally any time if you buy a skin.)

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 1, 2022

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Desert Bus posted:

I updated the OP but I am very intoxicated and if i can edit the title I cannot figure out how.

You mostly just report the post while asking nicely and hope a mod makes the change.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

I did well with Paladin on my first attempt at this despite that deck being kind of bad, but that's mostly because Paladin has a good amount of removal spells and spells that summon big boards to discover. It helps that you have a lot of divine shield minions, so it's almost always going to take two spells to remove them.

Also, this tavern brawl's just another example of the biggest problem with Hearthstone's singleplayer: they refuse to give you a deck that's actually good.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

My main issue with the Battlegrounds meta at the moment is how bad it feels if you aren't highrolling, and how weak you feel by comparison if you aren't going for one of those highrolls. And that really hurts when so many weekly quests are about forcing specific tribes, because if you go for anything besides the most broken combo you can find immediately you're going to get blown out and barely get any quest completion anyway. It's frustrating.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

goferchan posted:

You probably know this but the weeklies don't expire, unlike normal weekly quests they're kept in reserve until you make room for them. So if you just play a decent amount of BGs you'll probably hit all the specific minion type ones anyway. I never even look at the quests and I think I've completed them all to this point incidentally.

Yeah, but playing matches and not working towards a quest feels wrong, and I'm going to have to brute force my way into playing thirty Pirates of Quilboar eventually either way.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

I know no one really cares about Mercenaries around here, but at least their single burst of content this expansion is getting mentioned literally at all before the patch notes.

Also, there better be literally any cards that make playing totems worthwhile in the rest of the mini-set, or Totemic Evidence is going to be as nothing as the rest of the package.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Orange Carlisle posted:

I can't find anything about this can someone summarize? Thank you

Just that we're getting Mercenaries reveals on the 26th, instead of having to hurriedly shove some previews in at the last minute when the Mercenaries community gets depressed like they did last expansion.

Also they mentioned in a forums post that they're adding the ability to turn excess coins into some kind of wildcard resource that can be turned into other coins in this expansion, and the actual PVE lategame hopefully this year.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Paging Mr. Tonk Hunter!

Hunter Legendary:

6 mana 5/4 battlecry discover a friendly deathrattle minion that died this game, trigger and gain its deathrattle

https://twitter.com/PlayHearthstone/status/1573718964307369987

Of course Nathanos is Sylvanas' defense attorney. Of course he is.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Firebert posted:

All fel breaks loose is also solo infused by Zhilag and has a decent chance of re-summoning Zhilag, which will completely fill the board with tentacles lol

And honestly, just getting three stalks back is probably going to be fine. Not a high roll by any means, but still a decent floor for how much you actually get for five mana.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Just that we're getting Mercenaries reveals on the 26th, instead of having to hurriedly shove some previews in at the last minute when the Mercenaries community gets depressed like they did last expansion.

Also they mentioned in a forums post that they're adding the ability to turn excess coins into some kind of wildcard resource that can be turned into other coins in this expansion, and the actual PVE lategame hopefully this year.

Correction: I misremembered that post, the excess coins fix is next month.

EDIT: Also there's a bunch of Mercenaries reveals today. It's a lot of interesting design space, which I'm not going to get into because that can wait until the patch notes.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 26, 2022

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

The short version is that Mercenaries is a side mode about grinding up a bunch of units in a Raid: Shadow Legends style mode that has pretty interesting teambuilding if you're into that kind of game. It's a pretty good F2P grinding game if you're into that kind of thing now, but when they released it last October it was really half-baked with a ton of preorders they were asking people to pay for sight unseen and everything you had to do to improve your units was a pain in the rear end and it took at least six months to get the mode to a state where it was worth looking at. And it still isn't where it probably should have been at launch, because Mercenaries is finally getting something to do with excess coins so grinding and opening packs doesn't become actively more useless over time in the October patch at roughly their one year anniversary, with an actual PVE endgame coming after that.

(Still, not to repeat myself, but it's at a point where it's a satisfying experience if that kind of grindy Raid game hits your buttons. Just never put any money into it, because the grind those purchases bypass is the only real gameplay this mode has if you don't get into PVP.)

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

kater posted:

just found out there's like a billion things under solo adventures. is any of this stuff cool? the last one i played I think was maybe the DH intro stuff.

The various Dungeon Run modes (which also includes Monster Hunt and Rumble Run for free and Dalaran Heist and Tombs of Terror for gold to unlock the full thing) are generally a fun time, even if the default card pools for them are getting older. Trial By Felfire and the Demon Hunter prologue are decent little adventures. Book of Heroes/Mercenaries have charming writing and would be good if Hearthstone wasn't allergic to giving out functional decks in these and keep forcing you into annoying fights with decks that don't do anything.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Toshimo posted:

Anyone know anything about Mercenaries? Specifically, about the passive XP from putting dudes in the Training Camp. Is the XP gain linear? Or am I penalized for swapping dudes before the 25 hour mark?

As far as I know, the gain is linear, but there's also no practical reason to take anyone out early unless you need someone to be level 30 right now for a task or you realized you just don't care about leveling someone right now.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Toshimo posted:

Because I'm not going to be around for a while after the timer hits, so I'm just swapping now to someone who will get the full benefit.

Okay, yeah, that's a good reason. All I'll add is that it's kind of fiddly to actually remove someone who isn't at max level, but you can figure it out.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Boatswain posted:

Disappointing changes, but I guess there's only so much they can do to change the meta.

Any idea what they are referring to with patch 24.6? Playing this meta (sans Hunter) for two more months will be dull as gently caress.

It seems like that's around the time we'd be getting the traditional free preview legendary for next set. Hopefully it'll be weird and meta-shaking.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

kater posted:

why the gently caress would theotar playrate change because he costs 5 now instead of 4. are they dumb?

It's the kind of change you make when you just want people to go "this card got nerfed, I should take it out of my deck" without actually changing the play pattern. And honestly, I'm not complaining. If they make it super expensive, great, it's another tool that's only usable in control decks that's useless in some matchups and played at a point where it's more likely to hit important stuff in others. Any other nerf would meaningfully change how it works, and if there's one thing we learned from Mindrender Illucia it's that they make cards completely useless when they try that. So sure, gently caress it, I'll take a nerf that only reduces play rate because brains are dumb over that.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Oenis posted:

Remind me, any Wild Rexxar enjoyers, has the make-a-beast discovery pool been updated over the years, or has it stayed the same? Can you get, say, a rat king effect on your beast?

As far as I know, the list gets updated but they're more willing to say new beasts are too strong or too wordy to make the cut for the hero power pool. So Rat King isn't in the pool afaik because it's a lot of text, but you can get some of the more normal beasts.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Toshimo posted:

Can't imagine using Youtube for this.

Neither can most people who watched competitive Hearthstone, that's why the audience imploded made it switch sites.

(And everything else you were complaining about didn't help. The whole system is a mess.)

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

Death Knight's hero power summons a 1/1 with Charge? Somebody start a countdown till that gets nerfed.

Note: It also dies at the end of the turn, so it's just a Mage hero power that also has a minion die for things that care about that.

Coincidentally, Undead is a tribe now, and their tribal mechanic cares about things dying. And building up a resource as things die and spending it is also Death Knight's core mechanic.

EDIT: Also, Patch Notes. There's a bunch more stuff there, like Legendary hero portraits that are way too animated for my taste.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Also, not gonna lie, battlegrounds players don't care about emotes either. They're there to give you a little cosmetic award that feels cool for five seconds that you never touch again. What can I say, this is just a kinda-nothing event to get people to play again while we have a bonus expansion.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

frajaq posted:

Fuuuuck a brand new Death Knight class? Absolutely loved playing them back in WoW... is the class looking good?

It's too early to tell, but it does feel like they've learned from Demon Hunter as far as releasing a ton of cards at once that won't devolve into a single ball of Good Stuff goes.

Also, no, those are still just regular hero cards for those classes. Maybe Arthas gets a custom voice line for them or something.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Mayveena posted:

I don't understand how to get to the new content. I have the new card but don't see the rest. What am I missing? Thanks for any assistance.

All the Knights of the Frozen Throne cards should just be in your collection, like everything else in the core set. The event stuff should be on the same page as your normal daily missions. Most of the other stuff we're talking about with death knights and all of that are coming with the next expansion in December.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Boxman posted:

So, questions, if anyone wants to indulge me. What's Demon Hunter's class identity like? Are the mini-sets also collectible in boosters, or would I have to shell out for those separately?

Demon Hunter's identity in theory is 1) a lot of attacking with your face and card draw, so you burn through resources fast and either blow up your opponent or blow up yourself, 2) a lot of fragile but high attack minions, plus the occasional big chunky demon, 3) a lot of Fel spells doing direct damage to things, a lot of times with lifesteal so you survive punching things with your face. EDIT: Also they tend to get weird poo poo, as the weird demonic outsider class. Hence why they got all the weird relic stuff in Nathria, or whatever their theme for next expansion is.

Mini-set cards are rolled into that expansion's card pool for packs when they come out, so you can get the commons and rares relatively easily but you want to buy a miniset when it comes out so you don't open cards you could get by buying them directly with 2000 gold.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 3, 2022

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

frajaq posted:

If I disenchant old cards that are on Wild sets, and if in the future Blizz decides to put some of the old stuff in a new Core set, I'm not gonna get hosed right?

On the other hand I assume some cards on Core set that go away are not gonna magically appear in my account once they're gone

Nope. You always get all the cards in the Core set while they're in the Core set, and they disappear from your collection again when they leave the Core set. If you have the cards already, it just means you have some separate extra copies in your collection.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Mr Beens posted:

Its a one off to give them a card poll equivalent to other classes that have had expansion cards without retroactively adding dk cards to the last 2 expansions

It's a one-off, but as a F2P player 2000 gold spent on death knight cards is 20 packs of the new set that you aren't buying, which means you're getting significantly fewer of the key build-around cards you need for new decks if you're also saving up for the mini set, which means you better enjoy Death Knight because it's probably going to be the best non-budget deck you're going to have.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

kater posted:

so like can i just dust my entire knights of frozen throne collection? or is it going to require you to have the cards again in wild once this event thing is over? why wouldn't they just auto trash em if it wasn't a limited time thing?

It is, in fact, a limited time thing. Only until March of the Lich King starts next month.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Basically. They usually only do it once a year, but it's a good way to insert free cards into the ecosystem.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Oenis posted:

That's weird, Doom Pact I understand, but Death Coil could've been a fine Blood Rune card? I thought they were about life manipulation and healing. And Patchwerk is already one half of Death Grip, and Overseer Frigidara is a conditional Death and Decay, so blaming class identity in particular feels weird when they've managed to rework Army of the Dead in a similar fashion.

But thanks for the info!

For Death Coil, I assume it's just that Blood has the healing parts of the class identity and Frost has the explosive burn spell parts of the class identity so Death Coil's stuck in a weird middle ground where giving it to one type in a recognizable form would make the rune identities too mushy. And honestly, yeah, those are still class identity problems. You can't just give Death Knight a completely unconditional damaging AoE, because they're trying to make control Death Knight not feel like they welded frost mage to control warrior and they can't just give them the world's best version of Fire Sale. They could make a version of Death Grip that works, but the iconic part of that card was the card theft and not removing a card from your opponent's deck so you'd be making a really different pull-themed card anyway and you may as well rename it. Army of the Dead... is another way to cheat out big minions, and Priest/Paladin/Warrior have been trying to do the exact same thing for so long that it'd be weird to have Death Knight doing it too in their first expansion.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 8, 2022

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Disargeria posted:

I mean DKs whole deal is that they’re a corruption of Paladins and inherited their healing powers but twisted, and thus DKs can heal their undead selves and minions with unholy damage. That’s how they work in WC3 and WoW so idk why it’s a sticking point for Hearthstone?

Because their thing here is making a bunch of weird minions and when they die you don't give a poo poo because you just stick their corpses together to make something new. Caring about keeping them alive is a weird fit with that dynamic.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

AnacondaHL posted:

I'm going to submit an early hot take and say that any of the triple rune DK builds will have to be super focused with big payoff, and so far none of the payoffs look good enough. The 1-rune cards are overall stronger, and it would have to take way more than what we've seen to not do hybrid builds.

example: All the 1-frost cards that do flexible burn damage are stronger and fit better with 2-unholy cards than 3-unholy stuff does.

For now, I'm probably going to think about triple-rune DK builds as a deck simplicity thing and not a "this is a way to make the best deck for any given meta" thing. Like, you don't make a triple-undead deck because you want literally the best token deck in most metas, because being the best token deck means having tools to deal with weird stuff without folding instantly. But having those tools requires someone thinking about what tools are best for the meta and which pieces of 1* blood/frost are the best for them and it's just a lot of deckbuilding. Or... I could just go pure undead and put two copies of a Bloodlust equivalent in my deck and my playstyle is going to be painfully rigid in a lot of ways but that's fine because that's what I chose.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

It's the kind of effect hardcore blood control needs to actually have a win condition that isn't boring as hell, so I'm not going to complain.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

How is that actually playable? Seems terrible tbh

At it's core it's another take on the basic Pyros concept, and honestly I almost like it? For the first stage, there's an interesting dynamic where you have to decide if you want to play it on two for tempo or wait to play it on turn 4 with a card like Runed Orb* to get the ping is interesting. For the final stage, you're almost always going to wait until turn 10, but the kind of deck I can imagine this working in would be doing a lot of incidental face damage so sometimes you have the opportunity to sneak in a win earlier. But that middle part... If you play the first part on curve for either use case, it's just going to feel so bad playing a raw five mana 5/5 and waiting just to give yourself more armor. Then again, if you draw Astalor late a seven mana 7/7 that does two damage and gives you seven armor while giving you a board clear/pile of face damage for later isn't bad, especially when Infuse and corpses like having multiple bodies. But is there even going to be a deck that can take enough advantage of this card's flexibility to make up for each individual piece being only decent?

I'm talking myself into and out of liking this card, is the point.

*It's technically not a Mage card, but Mage historically has had a good amount of midrange-ish decks that also used a bunch of cheap utility spells so it seems like the best fit. Also both Pyros and the Build A Snowbrute cards were Mage, so there's precedent.

EDIT: No matter what, the numbers do feel a bit undertuned for 2022 Hearthstone.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 11, 2022

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Excelzior posted:

i..don't get it? you simply kill it off to get that deathrattle and then it's not on the board to kill you in 3 turns? or is that part of the deathrattle, and then you just protect it until you're ready to pop off?

All of the text is the deathrattle. If they meant for it to work the way you initially thought, they would have gone "you will die in three turns, deathrattle: __", or at least put an extra line break in there.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

I do like the idea of that set of Shaman cards, especially if a swarm-y undead tribal package comes together, but I'm not sure if Shaman's good enough at building boards to make it come together.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Oenis posted:

Boo, I thought we were getting some Spell-DH support after that first reveal, but it was just a red herring, apparently.

Well, there's still the other half of their card set.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

imo, they decided Warriors were going to be one of the Blood Elf-themed classes and needed to figure out a way to fit the skinny hypermagical elves into the nonmagical, big, tanky class. So, they focused on the spell-eating aspect for stuff like the taunt/rush that can't be targeted by spells and 4/5 that's a disruptive class card outside of Warlock or Rogue, and they decided to break the class themes for the sake of a big dumb cool effect with the legendary.

(It probably helps that I think the card's a lot better than a lot of you. It'd be a sideboard card if Hearthstone had those, but in a world of 40 card decks it's at minimum a three mana 3/3 that can copy a random utility spell. This sounds weird, but in the matchups where it does something it wouldn't take a lot to make me feel like it's worth it.)

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

I guess my thought was more just... in your average control warrior shell, either your opponent's doing something cheap and aggro and you aren't doing anything worthwhile on 3 anyway so you just drop a flat 3/3, or you're running into various control-ish decks doing stuff with spells that's at least useful enough to be worth the time. But now you mention it... Yeah, there's a big midrange middle that's not doing anything useful. Especially not when Mage and Hunter are both getting new archetypes about targeting a bunch of Arcane spells at specific enemies, and Frost DH is doing the same.

(Okay, we don't know what Arcane Hunter looks like yet, but Arcane Shot is the archetypical spell for a reason.)