Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Armor
May 5, 2023
Started playing this again with the rotation. The only deck I'd been playing since last expansion was Wishing Well/excavate and wow does Sonya Waterdancer give it a boost. Hmm yes double Grom and double Kalecgos on T6, don't mind if I do. Then next game I played six of that warlock Symphony card and my Tess was drawing six cards multiple times and burning them all but it didn't matter because I still had 30+ cards in the deck. Control warrior opponent conceded halfway through the animations. A+ will keep playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Armor
May 5, 2023

Sloppy posted:

What's your list?

### Wishing Rogue
# Class: Rogue
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Pegasus
#
# 2x (0) Preparation
# 2x (0) Shadowstep
# 2x (1) Bloodrock Co. Shovel
# 2x (1) Deafen
# 2x (1) Stick Up
# 2x (1) Swashburglar
# 2x (2) Dart Throw
# 2x (2) Greedy Partner
# 2x (2) Kaja'mite Creation
# 2x (2) Kobold Miner
# 2x (2) Thistle Tea Set
# 2x (3) Bounty Wrangler
# 1x (3) Velarok Windblade
# 1x (4) Drilly the Kid
# 1x (4) Sonya Waterdancer
# 2x (5) Wishing Well
# 1x (7) Tess Greymane
#
AAECAbCaBgSLpAXQlAaOlgaKqAYN9p8E958E7qAE6PoFyYAGkIMGyoMGuYYGyJQGyZQGzpQGjZYGiagGAAA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

I want to fit Breakdance in there but I don't want to remove the Deafens even though they're not great in every game (but when they are great they're really great). Thistle Tea Set is very good but it can easily clog up your hand so I try to pick lower cost choices unless there's some insane value card. Keep Tess in mind when you discover cards, and ask yourself "how good would this be when it gets replayed?" Board clears like Twisting Nether have to really be worth it to use before Tess, but any card that targets enemies is pretty safe.

Mulligan for Wishing Well and then cards that give you coins. The excavate stuff isn't a path to victory by itself, like the scorpion is good but you're not going to win with spells alone. You need a board, and that's what WW gives you, and then Tess + Shadowstep gives you board wipe protection. If you WW on T5 and you have Sonya in hand, save your legendaries for T6 and use her to duplicate them.

This is not a "good" deck but it's one of the few HS decks I enjoy playing and I'm sure it'll get me to D5 if I spend enough time playing it over the next week, which I might because the new expansion smell hasn't worn off yet. It can beat anything with the right rolls, and its low roll game and dead hand percentages are still a lot better than Thief Rogue has had for a long time.

edit: also keep Velarok if you get him in your opening hand.

Powered Armor fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Mar 22, 2024

Powered Armor
May 5, 2023
Here's a nice high roll I just got against an Armor Warrior:

T6 Wishing Well with two coins -> Halveria + Al'Akir.

T7 Play Sonya -> 2 x Al'Akir + 1 x Halveria (they only had one minion to hit). They cleared on their turn.

T8 Play second Halveria, Tess to end up with 3 x Halveria and 2 x Al'Akir. They had two minions out now so the Halverias smashed them and then they died on 30 armor + health or something.

edit: goodnight, Handbuff Paladin!

edit 2: guess what happened next!

Powered Armor fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 22, 2024

Powered Armor
May 5, 2023
I played against a few of those yesterday. One of them had a tendril that played that Mage spell that transforms all the minions in your hand to be +3 cost ones. They conceded a couple of turns later.

Powered Armor
May 5, 2023
For what it's worth, I was watching pocket_train yesterday after I tried out some new decks from that guru site and he said Shroomscavate and Leeroy are fine, the main problem with Paladin is lifesteal (mostly in the form of Tigress Plushie) which makes a certain amount of sense because that deck takes a while to come online and aggro decks would finish them off a lot more often if they couldn't recover their entire HP total in a couple of attacks. I know the air is more rarified in the 1-50 ranks but I found it really interesting to hear his opinions about the current meta.

He said Paladin and Odyn Warrior are the top two decks (duh) with Wheel Lock up there too. Hunter is complete garbage at the top end but can most likely get work done elsewhere, and Mage is currently the worst class by far everywhere. Shaman has one deck that might be really good against Paladin (he played it a bit but I wasn't really paying attention) and I think he made a comment at some point in response to a question that when trying to build a new deck you shouldn't try to beat Warrior, which maybe speaks volumes.

I tried a couple variations of the Zarimi Priest deck and that big "Extra Turn" button is a nice dopamine hit but it's hard to keep a board most of the time to make use of it since it's only really good as a finisher. I also tried Window Shopper DH, which has a nice one-trick in the title card getting discounted by the weapon. Decent aggro minions, Red Card to remove taunts, and classic DH reach to finish makes it pretty fun to play but I haven't worked out all the kinks. I'll probably go back to my Wishing Well Rogue soon but I wanted to try out some new cards from other classes.

Powered Armor
May 5, 2023
I've heard it said that without Charge, Taunt is kind of a meaningless keyword, and I agree with that. They should still use it sparingly and I think it only blew up as an "issue" recently with Paladin handbuff, but I'd rather have it in the game than not.

I've been watching more top streamers and browsing through the hsguru decks, and here's a couple I've been having fun with lately. First up is Zarimi Priest:

### Zarimi Priest
# Class: Priest
# Year of the Pegasus
#
# 2x (1) Crimson Clergy
# 2x (1) Funnel Cake
# 2x (1) Giftwrapped Whelp
# 2x (1) Glacial Shard
# 2x (1) Miracle Salesman
# 2x (1) Ship's Chirurgeon
# 2x (2) Celestial Projectionist
# 2x (2) Dreamboat
# 2x (2) Power Chord: Synchronize
# 2x (2) Scale Replica
# 2x (2) Whelp Wrangler
# 1x (3) Pip the Potent
# 1x (5) Magatha, Bane of Music
# 1x (5) Timewinder Zarimi
# 1x (6) Harth Stonebrew
# 2x (6) Thirsty Drifter
# 1x (7) Aman'Thul
# 1x (0) Zilliax Deluxe 3000
# 1x (0) Zilliax Deluxe 3000
# 1x (3) Pylon Module
# 1x (5) Ticking Module
#
AAECAaSrBAbm5AXP9gWknQbHpAbpqAbmqQYMougDyMYFu8cFoukF44AGhY4GxpwG8ZwG054G6qgG66gG3PMGAAED87MGx6QG9rMGx6QG7d4Gx6QGAAA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

I just went 8-0 with this to hit D5 and it's a lot better than the list I was playing only a few days ago. You can recover surprisingly well from an empty hand and board with Magatha and/or PC:S/Projectionist on Magatha, or even Harth Stonebrew. I won a game against a Tendril Warrior that went to T15 or so when I got the Stonebrew hand that had the "Everyone, get in here!" guys because you also get the guy that gives them Charge. Zilliax is cost reduction and +1/+1 to everything. The list I copied had Leeroy instead of Harth, but I prefer Harth.

And here's Hero Power Druid Plus Spell Power:

### Spell Hero
# Class: Druid
# Year of the Pegasus
#
# 1x (0) Innervate
# 2x (1) Free Spirit
# 2x (1) Lesser Jasper Spellstone
# 2x (1) Magical Dollhouse
# 2x (1) Peaceful Piper
# 1x (2) Bloodmage Thalnos
# 2x (2) Bottomless Toy Chest
# 2x (2) Gold Panner
# 2x (2) Groovy Cat
# 2x (2) Popular Pixie
# 2x (2) Sing-Along Buddy
# 2x (3) Frost Lotus Seedling
# 1x (3) Photographer Fizzle
# 2x (3) Swipe
# 2x (4) Spread the Word
# 2x (6) Doomkin
# 1x (8) Joymancer Jepetto
#
AAECAc6LBQSunwSXoASs0QXJwQYN/N8FiuAFkeAFqeAFo+kF2/oFzoAGzpwGlLEG2bEGorMG9+UG+OUGAAA=
#

It's really not a good deck but I enjoy playing it. The Spellstones are for Taunts and they're usually not enough (even with the Swipes) but sometimes they'll get you there. This deck does well against Sif Mage, which is one of the best decks now it seems, but it dies to most other stuff. The Doomkins are a flex slot. I forget what was there originally but I didn't like it, and Doomkin is very good against slow decks.

Now that I'm D5 I might go back to my Wishing Rogue deck and see if I can make some more refinements. I tried making a Reno Rogue as well and it inexplicably won its first three games, but I don't think it's very good unfortunately. Reno Mage might be interesting too but I don't think it's very good either. Better than Rogue though.

Powered Armor
May 5, 2023
My Zarimi Priest is still going strong. I'm glad this is the only good deck the class has at the moment.

Highlander decks feel bad to play because of all the DK around. It must be the most popular class by far even though it's not very good. Are there any high roll Hunter decks? There used to be one where you copied a King Krush or something and did a heap of damage from hand. I want something new to toy around with.

Powered Armor
May 5, 2023
The nerfs didn't touch my deck because it's terrible.

This warrior played a Boomboss with Brann, then on my turn I played three Boombosses and one more the turn after. That was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Armor
May 5, 2023
Previously if you got one of the highlander cards from Wishing Well you couldn't play them for their effect unless it was late in the game and your deck was mostly empty but now you can't play them at all... unless you're playing Highlander Rogue, in which case you can use them right away. I've been toying with this deck lately and it's not good but it is a cool perk, and it's fun when you get Brann.