Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

When are we going to get a new Rager? I hope the min-set fixes this glaring omission from recent expansions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

I'm happy there's nothing actually interesting or useful on the rewards track, at least. I don't really care about the extra hero selection so it is easy to skip this whole thing.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Navaash posted:

We sure got Playerbase Rager with the announcement today :v:

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Excelzior posted:

halkias is garbage and will remain so for the foreseeable future
Even if every Rogue secret was legal and Shadowjewler Hanar was in the Core, Halkias is still just a 5/4 with Stealth. Having one of those forever is nice but any games that he would win you could be more easily won with a large selection of other cards.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

I already miss the easy to complete Battlegrounds quests showing up as part of the weekly rotation. Boy I love playing Infuse cards...

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

kater posted:

I went from really liking having picked up the game again for battlegrounds to not wanting to touch it in the space of like two weeks, cool!

Also murloc holmes just seems like an auto finalist and in the most boring way possible.
The only nice thing, for me, is that because I didn't touch Battlegrounds immediately after the update (since it sounded bad) when I had a 'Use Your Hero Power' weekly this morning and jumped in to complete it, my rating was literally 0 and at this point everybody who cares even a little has left those ranks so I had an easy time surviving to 1st or 2nd place each game in order to maximize my hero power usage.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

I won on the first try with Warlock because I drew Nozdormu on curve and also got a board clear for free. The Warlock deck is not great with a lot of demon boosters but comparatively few actual demons.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Playing Druid last night, I didn't even notice the Guff change. Totally irrelevant nerf.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Oh boy, new mercenaries content.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

The fact that they keep trying to make Secret Rogue work is so confusing. Rogue is almost a 100% tempo based class and secrets, almost by definition, are purely reactive cards. It would be like giving Hunter a bunch of armor gain.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Blooming Brilliant posted:

So assuming this works like Reno's poof, we've now got Exile cards on the table at non-legendary rarities.
I will enjoy goofing around with some kind of Wild Mage just to irritate the remaining Big Priest players as much as they've annoyed me over the years.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

peer posted:

I like Theotar and similar cards but I think he could go to 5 mana, still serve his purpose, and silence some of the complaints
I think there's a clear and precedented solution.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

I think my problem with current Hunter is that it is one of those decks that is just generally good and has a bunch of different paths to victory so... from my perspective... it doesn't really feel like you're doing anything. Just playing good cards as you draw them and seeing how you win.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

It makes me laugh that the deck is so good that Wing Commander Ichman is seeing serious play on ladder.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Theotar's effect is good and I think it is good to have around but I think that at 4-mana he's just in literally every deck and that isn't particularly good for the format. Bump him to 6- or 7- like Mutanus and he still accomplishes his disruption against Denathrius without being an auto-include.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

I felt moderately awful for my Rogue opponent who held back Theotar and both Shadowsteps until I had completed my quest and went fishing three times for Xyrella, coming up empty. "What was that?"

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Tavern Brawl this week is a Standard version of Fury of Kael'Thas so it probably won't be 100% Druids by 12:00pm on Wednesday. Every third spell you cast costs 0. I won on the first try by just throwing out Rune of the Archmage and praising Yogg. Drakefire Amulet is also probably solid. The person I was playing against was trying a Naga Priest thing which would probably also work reasonably well.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

bravesword posted:

The others have all been power crept into oblivion.
You're clearly missing that sweet Uther of the Ebon Blade + Jailer synergy.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

I'm ready for ultimate chaos Battlegrounds; I want Buddies and Quests and Darkmoon Prizes all active at the same time.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Toshimo posted:

I've not done constructed in years, but as I recall, I can get some end-of-month rewards for placing on the various ladders? Does each ladder give rewards or just 1 of them? Either way, for someone with no current cards to speak of, is there a cheap deck I can find through enough ranks to get some cards?
You only get one reward for the highest rank you've reached among all the ladders.

I also barely play ladder (usually just five games a week for the quest) but my experience recently has been that, at low ranks, it is hard to lose while playing aggressive druid. It is very cheap with nothing but common and rare cards in this build. Vicious Syndicate is my usual go to for meta analysis if you wanted to try to more seriously climb.

### Tiny Tiny Mans
# Class: Druid
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Hydra
#
# 2x (0) Aquatic Form
# 2x (1) Beaming Sidekick
# 2x (1) Druid of the Reef
# 2x (1) Irondeep Trogg
# 2x (1) Living Roots
# 2x (1) Peasant
# 2x (1) Planted Evidence
# 2x (1) Sow the Soil
# 2x (1) Vicious Slitherspear
# 2x (2) Crooked Cook
# 2x (2) Jerry Rig Carpenter
# 2x (2) Mark of the Wild
# 2x (2) Thorngrowth Sentries
# 2x (3) Herald of Nature
# 2x (4) Pride's Fury
#
AAECAaa4AwAPrewDs+wD7PUD9PYDrIAEsIAEh58E4aQEiLIErsAEqM4EgdQEntQE1t4E3e0EAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

How can anyone claim Secret Rogue is good when nobody is crafting Halkias?

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

frajaq posted:

mind you I havent touched Hearthstone in like 5 years
If it has been literally five years then great news: Knights of the Frozen Throne is back in Standard! It's like you never left!

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

frajaq posted:

Are the Visitor quests for Mercenary stuff bugged? I complete the quests with the necessary members and it doesnt accomplish the mission
You also need to include the Visitor on the team to get credit. This is not made clear on the mission board for some reason.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

GTO posted:

Sunwell is terrible right? Like, the cheaper you make it the worse it is. Or am I missing something?
Cabalist's Tome saw play during Whispers of the Old Gods and it was 5-mana, get 3 random Mage spells. Sunwell feels like a card that you'll be able to use in a control deck where you'll occasionally have turns where you don't need to do anything in particular and can just add a bunch of value to your hand.

(But there's also a chance you'll get four copies of Glacial Mysteries.)

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

That's right. Core is its own thing independent of your collection; if you own Bolf Ramshield, dust him now and then he's added to next year's Core, you'll get a new one with the set launch.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

AnacondaHL posted:

afaik it's a completely separate set, same as Demon Hunter Initiate was, only instead of being free it's 2000g/$
Oh wow, I hadn't realized that they were going to charge for it. How is that even supposed to work? From a gameplay perspective it seems unusual at best to lock the Core cards for theoretically one and only one of the main playable classes behind a paywall.

Apparently it is included in the Mega Bundle so I got it but I don't think everybody in the game should be expected to shell out $80.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Tavern Brawl this week is Blood Magic so get your Druid decks ready.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

skaboomizzy posted:

"random 3-cost minion" and "card from another class" is a whole lot of RNG
If I know my Hearthstone, the number of times you get that combo will be roughly 5:1 over 'destroy a minion and draw 2 cards'.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

I think I only rolled the 'Friendly Challenge' quest once in all of Nathria so I'm a little bit bummed. It would have been nice to save one up for the new launch. Does the '7-wins' quest still exist? I remember back in the day that was the most valuable daily but I assume the change to XP got rid of it.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

PneumonicBook posted:

I feel like Team 5 is incapable of making learned balance decisions. That plus Brann never getting nerfed in the past makes me think someone on the dev team is absolutely against nerfing him.
I'm assuming that the Explorers will not be back in next year's Core and the attitude about Brann is that 'Eh he's fine in Wild. No point to trying to figure out a balance jusr for four monthsof play.'

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

victorious posted:

Looks like they're revamping Signature cards, and giving a free Legendary for people with the duplicate Rommath/Lor'themar situation:
Launching Signature cards with the Lich King set and having all the signature cards consequently look like garbage was maybe not the best idea ever. 'Oh boy another blue and grey blob to drop down on my board. How exciting.'

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Sloppy posted:

It's the 4-ban Tavern Brawl again. Anyone remember that Rogue list from last time? I think it had Pogo Hoppers and something else nasty.
What I always end up using is Pogo, Flik, Shadowstep and Coin. Coin is probably bad but it works.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

peer posted:

an extremely exciting quest dh mirror where no minions were played turn 1-5 and neither player completed the quest was just ended on turn six by 29 damage from hand
Remember when Savanah Highmane used to be a viable card to play on turn 6?

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Julio Cruz posted:

Astalor is such a dumb loving card
I feel like the real problem, say it with me, is Brann.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Patrick Spens posted:

Yeah and that's definitely strong, but the game in general is strong enough I don't think that is problematic.
As the Hearthstone grog who was posting earlier about the halcyon days of Savannah Highmane, I personally feel like 10 Armor, a 2/4 and a 5/5 body and 32 banked damage is probably a bit much for 8 mana but that's just me.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

fanny packrat posted:

I just got a rage add for "playing a tier 1 deck in casual." The deck? Phylactery Warlock.
I got a rage add on Monday for 'playing bullshit cheat decks' in Casual when I was playing a total garbage deck of nothing to complete the 'Play 50 Battlecry cards' weekly and apparently stomped a Ramp Druid who never drew his Scales.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

I want them to have a one month break between the end of this season of Battlegrounds and the start of the next one. And for that one month I want ultimate Chaosgrounds; I want Buddies, Quests, Darkmoon Prizes and Diablo all going all at the same time every game.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Desert Bus posted:

Battlegrounds is 100% better than the Mercenaries bullshit.
Mercenaries is phenomenal as a source of single player content to grind Rewards Track XP. I hit level 400 in Nathria for the first time ever thanks to Mercenaries. Oh... you mean to actually play? Yeah it's a garbage fire. Never play Mercenaries.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Starsfan posted:

were you playing the game or were you doing the trick where you start a game and then leave it for 30 minutes before quitting out?
Why would you quit out? Start a fight, fold your laundry, come back 29-ish minutes later and hit hit the 'Fight!' button. You'll very slowly accumulate coins to max out your mercenaries at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Starsfan posted:

Yeah... kripp's arena streams were what got me into hearthstone, no question about it.. I'm sure I'm one of tens of thousands on that front too. Too bad the arena meta was and is so awful it killed his love for the game
When they launched Mercenaries mode, Kripp spent a week or so playing around with PvE mode and then a single night trying to actually play Mercenaries before abandoning it forever just like every sensible person. Never play Mercenaries.