Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Desert Bus posted:

"inappropriate gameplay"

Constant roping is pretty inappropriate in my view especially on early turns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

discount cathouse posted:

You can make the Last Attack with Leviathan who dredges on Attack and then Spam emotes while your opponent is at 0 health.

I consider this the HS equivalent of a mortal kombat fatality move and thus completely acceptable and possibly even to be encouraged.

Edit : especially if you do it with the rogue discover on honourable kill spell.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

orangelex44 posted:

Yeah, you gotta go under them because nothing beats mage lategame right now.

I've been playing mostly 40 card spooky mage at high diamond and I'm at the point where I just concede against quest priest of I'm not getting amazing draw rather than spend 20 minutes losing to the quest.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

This is the most popular high win rate one on hsreplay at diamond / legend:

### Spooky Mage
# Class: Mage
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (0) Flurry (Rank 1)
# 2x (1) Wildfire
# 1x (1) Sir Finley, Sea Guide
# 2x (1) Shivering Sorceress
# 2x (2) Solid Alibi
# 2x (2) Amplified Snowflurry
# 1x (3) Prince Renathal
# 2x (3) Nightcloak Sanctum
# 2x (3) Frostweave Dungeoneer
# 1x (3) Brann Bronzebeard
# 2x (3) Arcane Intellect
# 1x (4) Varden Dawngrasp
# 1x (4) Theotar, the Mad Duke
# 2x (4) Reckless Apprentice
# 2x (4) Deepwater Evoker
# 2x (4) Cold Case
# 1x (6) Kael'thas Sinstrider
# 2x (6) Grey Sage Parrot
# 2x (6) Deathborne
# 2x (6) Blizzard
# 1x (7) Magister Dawngrasp
# 1x (8) Mordresh Fire Eye
# 1x (8) Kel'Thuzad, the Inevitable
# 2x (9) Rune of the Archmage
# 1x (10) Sire Denathrius
#
AAECAf0ECtjsA53uA6CKBOWwBOnQBJjUBLjZBLrkBJfvBL7wBA/U6gPS7APT7APW7AOSgQSTgQSfkgShkgT8ngT7ogTx0wTK3gTb3gT67ASEkwUA
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone
# Find this deck on https://hsreplay.net/decks/xICgYm0H2mEwbRcPUE7yTe/

The alternatives sometime fit in sivara for more spells or a smothering starfish etc.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

PneumonicBook posted:

Brann should never have come back to the core set and it's not like there's some weird reason why. He limits design space and is too powerful but it seems like Team 5 enjoys the game being a swingy mess more often than not.

Yeah just removing brann would be a pretty good fix and wouldn't cost them anything in dust refunds. They could even cycle in an interesting legendary (zephyrs?) to make up for it.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

victorious posted:

Huh, apparently I got a 10-star bonus this month, even though I only got to Diamond 5 like I usually do. Anyone else had that before?

I had it once after getting Legend the previous month then d5 the next. I guess it factors in mmr a bit as well as rank?

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

You get a diamond version of something for getting all the legendaries in a set right?

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

I did the brawl in one go as priest. Quite enjoyed it and having one in 3 draws come with 'discover a spell and make it free' felt like it balanced out the early game mana difference.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Wow lots of changed legendaries. Got like 10k gold although will probably recraft most. Good to get rid of my golden kael though.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Anyone else unable to claim prizes on the reward track?

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

PneumonicBook posted:

lol, let me tell you all about going 13-0 to Legend with Fel Relic Demon Hunter. As soon as you can leverage Relic of Dimensions the games over, you're ability to high roll is insane. That 13-0 was 1 Mage, 3 Hunters, 2 Priests, 1 Warlock, 2 Rogues, 2 Druids, 1 Demon Hunter and 1 Shaman, a pretty decent spread of classes. I Stopped last night at Rank 2 3 stars and finished tonight.

### Custom Demon Hunter
# Class: Demon Hunter
# Year of the Hydra
#
# 2x (1) Fury (Rank 1)
# 2x (1) Relic of Extinction
# 2x (1) Sigil of Alacrity
# 2x (2) Chaos Strike
# 2x (2) Fel Barrage
# 2x (2) Relic Vault
# 1x (3) Aldrachi Warblades
# 1x (3) Brann Bronzebeard
# 1x (3) Lady S'theno
# 2x (3) Predation
# 2x (3) Relic of Phantasms
# 2x (3) Venomous Scorpid
# 1x (4) Blademaster Okani
# 2x (4) School Teacher
# 2x (5) Relic of Dimensions
# 1x (6) Kurtrus, Demon-Render
# 1x (7) Xhilag of the Abyss
# 1x (8) Artificer Xy'mox
# 1x (8) Jace Darkweaver
#
AAECAdO+BQiN9wOHiwSDnwTHsgT7vwT+vwSY1ASq3QQLlugDwvEDifcDivcDtp8ElrcEmLoEr94EsN4EquIEheUEAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

This deck is strong and fun, lots of good synergies. Thanks!

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Shockeh posted:

Does anything actually just crush Wildseed Hunter? Like, mercilessly, miserably crush it? Happy to lose every other matchup now (because I’d still be winning 80% of my games.)

According to hsreplay bless priest is the only archetype that its unfavoured against, with a 44% winrate.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

I remember Blink Fox being a meme 'favourite card' on twitter some time back.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Mayveena posted:

So if Beast Hunter has only one unfavorable matchup why isn't everyone and their grandma playing it?

I get to d5 every month no matter what deck I play. However even with a broken strong deck legendary is still a grind.

So I just play decks I find fun to play and I tend to not enjoy hunter that much.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

I hope so, I'm finding the meta pretty stale. The mini set didn't seem to make much difference to me.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

The stag definitely needs a nerf imo. That plus the weapon is too much.

I'd be quite keen for the theotar to be a 1/1 or cost more.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Sunwell is terrible right? Like, the cheaper you make it the worse it is. Or am I missing something?

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Enrage warrior feels very strong, I've whipped up to diamond since the patch with hardly any losses. Most gamesare over by turn 6 but it feels more thoughtful than most aggro decks. Imbued axe feels quite OP.

### Enrage Warrior
# Class: Warrior
# Year of the Hydra
#
# 2x (1) Animated Berserker
# 2x (1) Beaming Sidekick
# 2x (1) Dredger Staff
# 2x (1) Irondeep Trogg
# 2x (1) Sanguine Depths
# 1x (1) Sir Finley Mrrgglton
# 2x (1) Warsong Envoy
# 2x (2) Anima Extractor
# 2x (2) Crazed Wretch
# 2x (2) Crooked Cook
# 2x (2) Cruel Taskmaster
# 2x (2) Injured Tol'vir
# 2x (3) Imbued Axe
# 1x (3) Rokara
# 2x (3) Weapons Expert
# 1x (6) Decimator Olgra
# 1x (7) Rokara, the Valorous
#
AAECAZ6rBASV7QO8igSX1ASB3AQNje0DjKAE4aQEntQEvNsE/9sEvuIEpeQE3e0EnO8EiYMFmKQFlOsFAA==
#

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

That's just deck of lunacy right? They only rotated that out this year...

avantgardener fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 23, 2022

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Ah yes, missed that part!

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Scholtz posted:

I wonder if a Mage card that did something along the lines of (very loosely worded here) "Cast X mana worth of spells targeting your hero, then deal double that damage to the enemy hero." would be fun/funny

Would combo well with the 'can only take 1 damage at a time' card. Not sure it fits into the class theme though, self damage is more of a warlock thing

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

So basically if you want to play DK ever you need to drop the 2k gold? Or is there some other way to get their base set?

Do we know if that replaces the mini set this time or if we're also getting that?

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Tin Tim posted:

Thinking really hard about why blizzard would want to make extra money :v:

The f2p option is to wait and eventually craft the cards from the DK set that are good

Tempted by this but I'm assuming all the cards will be ridiculously OP to make everyone buy them. Would they qualify for dust refunds when they get nerfed?

I think I'll spend most of my gold on packs later but keep 2k back for the DK set and see what people make of it.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Expansion is live, a bit earlier than usual.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

I crafted the DK scythe and been having fun with it so far. Using the VS spell deck but I subbed in stheno and predation.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

mcbexx posted:

Yeah, I see people hero powering and letting the ghoul die without even going face. Or casting corpse explosion with 3 corpses and - I assume - wondering why the two 12/12s don't die.

poo poo's new, give it time.

Also the game puts 3 DK decks in your collection to use that are probably not optimised and people will be using them to try out the class.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Yeah recent hand disruption mechanics make playaroud super important. Also the infuse mechanic encourages you to keep some cards in hand for a long time increasing the chance of disruption.

Eg the main demon hunter deck right now only has 3 minions. One of them (xymox) you need to keep in hand while 5 of your generated minions die. The most common opponent deck I've faced with it this week (control demon knight) has potentially 3 different ways to ruin your hand (mutanis, theotar and patchwork). Or any deck using denathrius as a finisher (or any combo gimmick really) is super vulnerable to the same stuff.

Mage also has a counter minion as well as counter spell. Hunter has really disruptive powerful secrets.

avantgardener fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 9, 2022

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Luff posted:

It's funny how Corpse Explosion does almost nothing against an Infectious Ghoul board if you ping one of them. I was trying out Ghostly Strike in DR Rogue and immediately faced two blood DKs who couldn't do anything

Yeah DR Rogue is almost an auto win against non aggro DK.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

AnacondaHL posted:

Yea I've been playing/watching DR Rogue too, it's still being refined, but goddamn does it lose hard to Priest

I thought for a minute it was really op but it cam be countered, I think people just didn't know what to do against it.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

fanny packrat posted:

In case anyone is playing this, I'm slowly figuring it out. Questline reward doesn't matter in most matchups, most of the time you can combo if you get discounts on spell damage and damage spells. Don't be afraid to use an All Fel Breaks Loose and some spell damage to handle early pressure (and usually get a full heal). Mark of Scorn is useful midgame to advance quest and maybe do some damage, but greeding it has been a mistake for me because inevitably the bottom of the deck is minion dense. Current list is below. It's fun, challenging (to me, an idiot), and it seems competitive.

### quest
# Class: Demon Hunter
# Year of the Hydra
#
# 1x (1) Final Showdown
# 2x (1) Fury (Rank 1)
# 2x (1) Relic of Extinction
# 2x (1) Sigil of Alacrity
# 2x (1) Unleash Fel
# 2x (2) Chaos Strike
# 2x (2) Fel Barrage
# 1x (2) Mark of Scorn
# 2x (2) Relic Vault
# 2x (2) Spectral Sight
# 2x (3) Relic of Phantasms
# 1x (3) Rustrot Viper
# 2x (3) Silvermoon Arcanist
# 2x (4) Guild Trader
# 2x (5) Need for Greed
# 2x (5) Relic of Dimensions
# 1x (8) Jace Darkweaver
#
AAECAZWrBAT39gON9wPQ+QOGkgUNwvEDifcDivcDxfkDyIAEtp8EtKAEr94EsN4EquIEheUEi5IFnaQFAA==
#

I'm romping through diamond with this deck. It's great fun.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Yeah basically that. It's usually over between T6-9.

You don't always need to drop the quest reward, sometimes you have enough damage if you draw the right cards.

The tradeable cards are important, you often get the quest reward then play it the next turn and have a few mana left to feng-shui your deck a bit by trading minions back in for a discount. Then you drop the minions and play all the spells on the following turn. You use the AoE and relic of extinction first so as much of the indirect damage hits the enemy.

You use your health as a resource, your minions should go face unless there is a very favourable trade, you have up to 2x full heals so just need to avoid a combo/burst lethal.

It's better to hold back low cost draw to make sure you hit the quest reward each turn you go for it, rather than draw a few each turn.

The furys can be played whenever, they're usually just to thin out your hand so you don't end up over drawing.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Yeah it's really a combo deck. As soon as you have discounted 2 spell damage minions, you have the aoe spell and a couple of other damage spells you drop the minions, clear the board with aoe so all the ' hits the lowest health enemy' stuff hits the enemy hero and win. You can easily do 30 or even close to 40 from hand. The rest of the deck is just there to draw and discount and to keep you alive.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Dusted all the refund cards and got 6500 back. Any thoughts on what the new meta is gonna be?

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

McSharpie posted:

Decided to try 30 card thief rogue with the concoction cards and made legend with it earlier today. It feels like the faster version works better in this meta.

### Smol Rooster Rogue
# Class: Rogue
# Year of the Hydra
#
# 2x (0) Preparation
# 2x (1) Blackwater Cutlass
# 2x (1) Concoctor
# 2x (2) Ghoulish Alchemist
# 2x (2) Jackpot!
# 1x (2) Maestra of the Masquerade
# 2x (2) Potion Belt
# 1x (2) Potionmaster Putricide
# 2x (2) Reconnaissance
# 2x (2) Tooth of Nefarian
# 2x (3) Vile Apothecary
# 2x (4) Swiftscale Trickster
# 2x (5) Contraband Stash
# 1x (5) Queen Azshara
# 2x (5) Wildpaw Gnoll
# 1x (6) Crabatoa
# 1x (7) Tess Greymane
# 1x (8) Shadowcrafter Scabbs
#
AAECAdW+BQah+QP7igTYtgTbuQTooAWLpAUMvYAE958EuqQE+6UE7KcE+awE1bYE+fEE3aAF36AF4KAF56AFAA==
#

This deck was unaffected by the nerfs and is surprisingly powerful. Also fun as the discover pool is great at the moment.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Playing battlegrounds made me realise how much knowledge I'd internalised about hearthstone and the meta while I've been playing it.

Like it seemed fun enough I just couldn't be bothered to learn which cards, combos and characters worked well together, countered each other etc as hearthstone already fills that niche for me.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Sounds good, have you got a list?

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

*ahem* Springbirth festival, if you please

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Starsfan posted:

I think the Colossals are very instructive on the point of what makes the game fun and what makes the game not fun:

I was thinking the other day that colossals were a pretty good bit of design. Most of them get used a fair bit, but only 1? (Nellie?) has been nerfed and people don't really complain about them too much. Fairly well done I think especially given how complex they are as cards.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Excelzior posted:

on one hand good, gently caress those decks

on the other lmao there's still so much unfun shirt that's just going to rise to the top now

I just made legend for the first time in some months using the evolve shaman deck posted some pages back. Be interesting to see how that goes as its unaffected by the nerfs /buffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I have absolutely no idea how the meta shakeup is going to affect it but it's definitely a deck people have been sleeping on.

Yeah it's also got some interesting decision making. I'm pretty sure evolving your hero power totem using the location is the right t2 play most of the time which feels like it should be weak. And there are several different win conditions you can cheat out without evolving huge boards, eg using bloodlust or the 'minions deal 3 damage when they die' card.