Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Were people regularly buying BG perks with gold? I think once or twice I paid for them but mostly have just done without. Would have always rather spent gold on packs instead. This new model is way more appealing to me considering the new BP will apparently cost the same as perks did to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I still lol at the reddit hearthstone post from many years ago where the topic was "What's the biggest lie in Hearthstone" and the top reply was "A recent opponent wants to be your friend!"

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Realize now that it's part of the battlecry therefore the interaction is totally correct, but it was a huge bummer realizing that copying Guff with Murozond didn't let me exceed 10 mana :(

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I'm just playing Quest Priest and having a great time honestly. Feels like I have at least a fighting chance against most decks I see

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

The Dribble bartender skin in Battlegrounds has a unique greeting if your hero is Denathrius, that's cute

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Jedit posted:

Yep, that's £6.15 less that I'm not paying them.

Just queued for a BG to see what it was like. No lobby popped for over a minute. Literally nobody is playing the game now, thanks to this gacha poo poo.

Highly highly doubt that lol. Probably just a mix of people playing on their phones without the update (it doesn't force you to download it yet)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Besides, it's not like the gold you get at most of the levels is worth anything anymore, you fuckin' whiners." :troll:

The only change here is no more battleground perks with gold right?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I like quests so far but I've had a couple games where it felt like I was just playing whatever my quest reward was and completely ignoring my hero and if that happens a lot they're going to get old.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Mayveena posted:

Well that makes it much better. I could see having a kid who likes to play HS and being able to give them a runestone allowance.

My understanding too is that it's somehow unfavorable (not sure if it's just extra labor or an associated cost or what) to constantly add and remove different in-app purchases on mobile stores (or at least iOS, where they're tied to the specific item they're purchasing). This way it's just "$5 - 500 runestones" instead of every week adding and removing "$5 -Battleground portrait bundle A B & C" whenever they want to sell something

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

mcbexx posted:

Huh?
Plat 10 wild, 9 stars.

Plat 10 Standard was 6 for me.

GTO posted:

I had it once after getting Legend the previous month then d5 the next. I guess it factors in mmr a bit as well as rank?

Yeah maybe this, or it's also affected by how many times you've reached that rank across all seasons? My 6-star bonus seems on the low end for Plat 10 but it was also my first time ever hitting platinum since the ranks were revamped

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

goferchan posted:

I like quests so far but I've had a couple games where it felt like I was just playing whatever my quest reward was and completely ignoring my hero and if that happens a lot they're going to get old.

Having said this, it's really fun when the two come together. Just had a win with Sneed + Demons + Ritual Blade (when a deathrattle minion dies, give it +4/+4 permanently) and it was a blast; had me changing up my strategy from what I'd do normally but still felt like the tribe and hero power synergies were important.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Strawberry Panda posted:

Yeah kind of figured. I do like getting all the cards though but can spend that dust getting good legendaries in the next set.

Thanks!

I mean assuming you're playing regularly you will almost certainly open that card before the next expansion comes out. Standard packs don't have a pity timer iirc but they do have dupe protection so if you've been collecting all cards each expansion it will be your next legendary.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

You definitely don't need the pass to get a 1st, I've got tons from playing with just two choices but I will say that while the game is pretty decently balanced if you consider every hero's frequency of top 4 placements, frequency of first place is a lot more swingy. That said, I'm not sure if the update brought in a lot of new blood or what, but I'm finding myself in some pretty braindead lobbies since the patch.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Blasmeister posted:

I've been playing without the pass and got a 1st in about 3-4 attempts, there's not THAT much variation in hero strength for choosing from 4 to be neccessary to compete. By definition it should only matter in half of your matches.

If you look at the stats the difference between 1st place rates for top heroes vs bottom is like 20%+ opposed to like 6%. Of course it's kind of skewed by those being gathered from high rank players and then I think it's still hard to nail down how much of an impact quests have. It seems like right now playing one of the better "worse" (high armor) heroes is a good move because they get the additional handicap of easier quest completion conditions, which might push things a little too much in their favor

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Toshimo posted:

Yes. Just looking at the leaderboard numbers from week 1, there's been a massive number of people playing BGs. Turns out the Season Pass wasn't the apocalypse people predicted.

Even so, the "good" players have been glacially slow to pick up the quest meta, so I expect lower ranks is just a shitfest.

I was really surprised at how many people apparently used to pay gold for BG perks honestly. I never would have paid real money or gold under the old system but I bought the new pass because the cosmetics are cool. My only gripe is that you can't change the background music, that should be tied to board or bartender or something.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Pretty happy about this patch, didn't really touch the decks I like to play. Fingers crossed for the reign of quest priest

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Jubs posted:

Speaking of, the achievement points are so useless. There's not a single incentive to collect them.

Anything tied specifically to the current season(for regular Hearthstone) gives XP but it's not very much. I generally don't care about them but for some reason I really like filling out the ones for each specific BG Hero. Always wanted them to add a little 3-star notation during hero selection that indicates "You've played with this hero, you've made top 4 with this hero, you've placed 1st with this hero" -- maybe I have a weak brain but this would definitely nudge me towards trying new heroes even if there was no in-game reward.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

In previous seasons some achievements gave golden cards as rewards but I think they stopped doing that for Nathria?

I think they still do it but it's always for "previous seasons" -- any battle pass reward that gives an "uncraftable" golden card gets turned into an achievement reward when the next expansion comes out. So like during the last expansion you couldn't craft golden Schoolteacher but you could get it from the battle pass; now you instead get it from an achievement.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

You probably know this but the weeklies don't expire, unlike normal weekly quests they're kept in reserve until you make room for them. So if you just play a decent amount of BGs you'll probably hit all the specific minion type ones anyway. I never even look at the quests and I think I've completed them all to this point incidentally.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

https://twitter.com/celestalon/status/1573412681654013952?s=21&t=0_TSisTsTLjuoDbtSncGfw

https://twitter.com/celestalon/status/1573413747418275840?s=21&t=0_TSisTsTLjuoDbtSncGfw

drat this would have been a crazy mechanic for a standard set. I think I'd be ok with them pushing the envelope like this though honestly

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

What does the Cavalry Horn do for you there with a bunch of 1-drops in the deck? I don't think it's summons count as "played" for Kael

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Possible they swapped the positions of Nathria and Set 3 after the core set was finalized. You see this happen with Magic: The Gathering sets sometimes.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I think they isolated a lot of the previews for this update to the official Mercs-specific discord, the Mercs subreddit, etc. -- seems like they've eased off on trying to get everyone who plays HS to play it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

mcbexx posted:

After finishing the puzzle, I can not help but wonder if one of the next expansions will add an Renathal-like card that expands your board space to 10.

I could see a board space expansion card, that's interesting. My bet is currently on DKs being a "if this is in your deck..." thing as opposed to an actual new permanent class, but having it allows you to add special death knight cards during deckbuilding. So basically any of the existing classes can be "corrupted" into a DK

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Sloppy posted:

Maybe make him discover one of two cards rather than three, still powerful but a bit less reliable for stealing win cons, and more potential to bite you in the rear end.

How about "Battlecry: Discover a card in each player's hand and swap them. You only have 5 seconds to take the rest of your turn"

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Firebert posted:

Runeterra doesn't even have good methods of pay to win. You can buy decks but they aren't even like super outrageously priced (like $17?). They also have event passes which have a bunch of champion capsules and chests in their reward track but they are insanely good value if you care about cosmetics at all, better than Hearthstone (well, until the recent Arclight event that lacks a lot of the cosmetics that past passes have had).

I don't think it's mentioned anywhere in game but you also get the equivalent of a full dust refund for battlepass reward cards you own duplicates of. I could craft like, full sets of the next several expansions at this point easily

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I've been really enjoying Snap and it didn't feel too bad but i did just get to the point where progression for your card collection just suddenly gets cut in half and it's like.... ok, I see where this is going

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Mayveena posted:

Hearthstone going off line in China unless they can find a new partner

https://www.ft.com/content/2d3a2351-8c19-4e11-bf16-54d05a668840

They will find a new partner

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Chernabog posted:

What's the BG bug? But yeah, balance has been awful this season. I wonder if they are just gonna do away with quests like they did buddies and add a new gimmick so they won't bother with balance.

Yes, it's the season gimmick so it will go away when the next BG season begins (not sure when that is though)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Wow I haven't logged in since the the expansion launched but I guess I should stop by and collect my billion dust

goferchan fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 19, 2022

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

drat, I stopped playing for a little while (but not THAT long! probably around when the Maw mini-set came out?) and redownloaded yesterday to check out the new BG season and the game is throwing a ton of free "please come back" poo poo at me. Got a chain of 5 super easy quests that gave me 750 gold in total along with a free deck of my choice, all of which look surprisingly good. I do have most of the cards in most of them but the Hunter one looks like it'll get me a lot of value I'm missing.

To be fair though I think all the offers combined probably aren't as valuable as the dust I could have gotten from logging in and disenchanting poo poo every time something was nerfed the past few months, lol.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Been on a break from the game for a few months but Control Priest (or just "Priest") is kind of nonexistent right now, correct? This seems like one of those cards that will be great if the deck becomes relevant but isn't enough to turn it on on its own.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Wow, current Evolve Shaman has to be one of the dumbest decks I've ever played in Hearthstone. They definitely need to patch this but I'm sure gonna be playing it until they do

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

GTO posted:

Yeah that's the ticket. Gotta say having played evolve shaman exclusively for the last 6 weeks it feels very broken right now, I'm on a 6 game streak at d4 currently. Wonder if they'll hotfix it or wait for a patch. The fix would maybe to make a vanilla 8/8 that costs 11 and 12 mana so you can't evolve the gnoll so ridiculously.

I stopped playing for a little while after Nathria and the game apparently completely reset my MMR and gave me the full "new player experience" so I'm midway through Gold ranks summoning turn 3 Neptulons against people playing Tar Creeper, it's disgusting. Just got the 12 win streak achievement, I almost feel bad about it

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I got bored with Shaman and checked out aggro undead Priest and this actually seems like a real deck? I think I'm still in the matchmaking kiddie pool though.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Maybe it's just on account of skipping the expansion until the miniset dropped, so everything seems pretty fresh, but this is the most fun I've had playing Standard in quite some time. Lots of decks to play, all of them pretty viable, and it was cheap as hell to have like 3 different viable DK decks right out of the box. And there are several decks within crafting reach that I haven't even had time to try yet. Are Mine/Phylactery Warlock fun? They seem to post respectable win rates but I never see them on ladder

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah I have 3 different good Death Knight decks, that's pretty crazy! They did something interesting with the rune system. DH is probably my least played class by far, never dug it, so having a new class that I really enjoy playing is pretty big, and probably what got me to start playing again after a long lapse.

edit: Hearthstone is probably just in a weird spot where it's naturally past it's peak of popularity. I don't think it's going away for a long time, but at this point pretty much everyone who's in the market for Hearthstone has checked out Hearthstone at this point, and they've either gotten into it or decided it's not for them. And I don't think the up-and-coming generation of gamers has the same nostalgia for the Warcraft brand or the sense of prestige around the Blizzard name that many of us did when we started playing. Barring another lightning-in-bottle success like Battlegrounds (and you can see their failed attempts to recapture that) I doubt it's bringing in a ton of new players. This is all gut instinct stuff though and I could be completely wrong.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 12, 2023

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Jeeze how did I just now realize (after losing a game because of it) the 3/3 shrubbery whelps counted as whelps for Onyxia? I mean, fair enough lol, but was it always like that? Guess it just never came up before.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Sucks BGs are disconnect city right now, the update seems pretty crazy and I want to play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

That's pretty reasonable. It's tough because you want to just say "make it so DKs can only discover cards within their runes" but then the decks get super consistent and that's probably even worse

edit: Honestly it's way too late now but an alternate Hearthstone universe where legendaries can't be discovered/generated outside of effects that specifically discover legendaries or whatever would be kind of interesting.

edit edit: huh, same tweet explains that the "randomly improved stats" on spending corpses count power and toughness separately. Still for sure strong but that makes it less nasty than I thought

goferchan fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 15, 2023