Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.
Alright - Jumbuck#1346 (on NA)

Jolly Jumbuck fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Aug 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

The secret to success is having RNG work for you.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

PneumonicBook posted:

Every time you play someone add them as a friend, ezpz you never play them again

One weird trick, Blizzard hates it!

And so it came to pass that every player was friends with every other player and nobody played anybody anymore.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Chernabog posted:

3- Druid is a design mess. Not only shouldn't they have access to good board clears but scales is one of the best in the game right now and the mana cost is a non-issue for them. They also have too much "tutoring" which makes them too consistent and boring to play against.

This. Someone here made an excellent point in the old thread about how ramping for Druid is fine IF there is a risk of being overrun while ramping, but Scale of Onyxia (and now to a certain extent Flipper Friends) reduce that risk. Also, with druid able to tutor Sire Denathrius easily, these rush token-based board clears also provide fuel for a now even harder to avoid inevitable fire.

One small change I can think of that might be good for Mage would be to make their location freeze a random minion. Giving them 3 targeted freezes (ignoring the skeleton generated) really goes too far against too many decks IMO.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Dik Hz posted:

The real problem is carpenter. Tutoring ramp and banking the draw for later is busted.

Good point. Preventing ramp/draw tutor might be more helpful than board clears.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Desert Bus posted:

I've posted this before but this is a slightly updated version. The creator, Swizard, is at Legend i think? With a 65% win rate. My rank not as good, but this is the best RenoLock I've ever played. It's so smooth:

That's pretty cool, I'll give it a spin. Here's another RenoLock in Wild that I found smooth also, not sure how it compares - will give a report at sometime after having played both. Also, it was last updated awhile back, the Tech card Golakka Crawler could probably be substituted for a different 2-cost card now.

### Even Highlander
# Class: Warlock
# Format: Wild
#
# 1x (0) Raise Dead
# 1x (2) Cult Neophyte
# 1x (2) Darkbomb
# 1x (2) Defile
# 1x (2) Dirty Rat
# 1x (2) Drain Soul
# 1x (2) Encumbered Pack Mule
# 1x (2) Far Watch Post
# 1x (2) Golakka Crawler
# 1x (2) Zephrys the Great
# 1x (4) Dark Alley Pact
# 1x (4) Demonic Assault
# 1x (4) Hysteria
# 1x (4) Kazakus
# 1x (4) Spice Bread Baker
# 1x (4) Voidcaller
# 1x (6) Abyssal Summoner
# 1x (6) Anetheron
# 1x (6) Battleground Battlemaster
# 1x (6) Entitled Customer
# 1x (6) Genn Greymane
# 1x (6) Keli'dan the Breaker
# 1x (6) Reno Jackson
# 1x (8) Archwitch Willow
# 1x (8) Enhanced Dreadlord
# 1x (8) Mo'arg Forgefiend
# 1x (10) Bloodreaver Gul'dan
# 1x (10) Goldshire Gnoll
# 1x (12) Mountain Giant
# 1x (20) Molten Giant
#
AAEBAa35Ax7hB9wKjg6tEMMW2LsC5MIC38QC58sCl9MCzfQC/KMD7qwDxLkD7r8D184D9M4Di9UD+OMD9+gDiPQDwPkDxvkDx/kDzPkD/voDgfsDgvsDh/sD56AEAAA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

My immediate hope after seeing the Jailer was hoping that Neeru Fireblade, but after thinking about it for a bit, it seems like the ability to summon immune 3/2s each turn in case of board clears just wouldn't be that effective. Neeru will always be inferior to the demon seed quest.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Firebert posted:

He was killed prior to the expansion…which took place in the realm of death

When Tyrande almost killed Sylvanas, right before her OP night warrior form wore off, she mentioned that she had killed Nathanos' soul in the maw, or so I thought.

Edit: regardless, our resident Tonk enthusiast should be happy.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Strawberry Panda posted:

I like Theotar even when I'm playing against one. Makes you have to play more aggressively and be less greedy. Enables different game states than just gently caress you I win now. Like poo poo I need to play this powerful card ASAP or else I'm get hosed.

I agree. While it's sometimes annoying that Theotar stalls my beloved Tome Mechathun Warlock deck in Wild, it's a needed counter and helps keep things honest instead of building up to an impossible-to-beat win condition relying on a single card. Big, powerful cards still have their place, they just can't be used as a solo win condition.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

On a slightly different topic, supposing anyone here could get a single card made into a custom box art for free, which card would you pick? Presumably it would be a combination of art, flavor, card usefulness, sentimentality, etc., with weighting and scores unique to each person.

For awhile, I'd have probably picked Hidden Oasis, since I loved its artwork and flavor (nature, water, plants, a big Ancient) and it was a staple card in the Uldum Quest Druid that I liked. A couple recent contenders might be Bioluminescence (I love the aquarium) and Great Hall (fond summer camp memories and a cool, flexible card). What are some of yours?

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Just a reminder to get your flu shots. I haven't had the flu in nearly 20 years and forgot how debilitating it can be. The headache was so intense I couldn't even play hearthstone on my phone, all i could do was just curl up and not sleep because of the headache.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

It finally happened after nearly 7 years of playing - I finally got a rage add / remove after the message "congrats you'll never get out of diamond with that lovely deck" from user HarryScrot. I genuinely feel like I unlocked an achievement. Speaking of Halkias, here is the deck I was using that earned the rage add. Halkias isn't bad amd acts like a nice, sticky stealth minion. It's just not worth crafting if you didn't open him - he's pure tempo.

### SI:7 Secret Operative
# Class: Rogue
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Hydra
#
# 2x (0) Shadowstep
# 2x (1) Blackwater Cutlass
# 1x (1) Find the Imposter
# 2x (1) SI:7 Extortion
# 2x (2) Double Cross
# 1x (2) Kidnap
# 2x (2) Perjury
# 2x (2) SI:7 Skulker
# 2x (2) Sketchy Stranger
# 1x (2) Sticky Situation
# 2x (2) Tooth of Nefarian
# 2x (3) Ghastly Gravedigger
# 1x (3) Prince Renathal
# 2x (3) SI:7 Agent
# 2x (3) SI:7 Operative
# 2x (3) SI:7 Smuggler
# 1x (4) Edwin, Defias Kingpin
# 1x (4) Halkias
# 2x (4) Private Eye
# 2x (4) Scuttlebutt Ghoul
# 2x (4) SI:7 Informant
# 1x (6) Crabatoa
# 2x (7) SI:7 Assassin
# 1x (8) Shadowcrafter Scabbs
#
AAECAd75Awim+QPtgAT7igTYtgTe2gTf2gTg2gSX7wQQn/QDofQDovQDo/UDpvUDvYAE9Z8E9p8E+awE/qwE3NAE3NoE3doEkt8Ew+ME9+0EAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

I'm a little disappointed. I was in the camp that would have preferred Monk to DH or DK, but so it goes.

It's an interesting enough expansion with cool mechanics and an epic theme, I just preferred the smaller, unique flavors of Sunken City and Castle Nathria.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Anachronos looks very interesting. I don't know if it would be good to include in a deck, but could be great to discover if you're behind. Either way, great flavor.

Anachronos
7-cost Paladin Legendary
Dragon 8/8
Battlecry: Send all other minions 2 turns into the future.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

I like Castle Nathria in general, but have soured on Sire Denathrius. I used to like it as a closer for control decks, but mass token generation makes it too harsh in my opinion. Just like that one demon hunter card has "Infuse Demon" as an infuse condition, I feel like Denathrius should at least have "Infuse with a Minion You Played", or only target minions with its battlecry or something.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Shockeh posted:

Arguably that’d make it another in the big pile of ‘Neutral cards that might as well be Brown’.

Which is a stupid state of affairs, and arguably not Denathrius’ fault.

Druids get the good cards because they are brown-nosers.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

In the preopening of a smaller bundle, I got

DK: Alexandros Mograine
DK: Blightfang
Paladin: Liadrin
Warrior: Thori'belor (golden)

I can't judge on my own single sample, but a skeptical part of me is wondering if they're biasing drops toward DK legendaries. Interested to hear what others get.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Boatswain posted:

Any decks you guys are looking forward to playing? To me Arcane Hunter looks like the first fun Hunter deck in ages and midrange Paladin and Enrage Warrior look good too!

I'll definitely be playing something with Anachronos. Concoction Rogue looks fun and I'll have to try blood DK since I got Mograine.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

This is why I let my son open my packs for me. Never got a triple legendary before.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

It looks like an archetype they've sometimes given bursts of support to over years of expansions has finally achieved Critical Mass.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Concoction Rogue is really fun. I just wish there were a better way to close out games other than Sinstone Graveyard and Draka, which create potentially busted early turns. I feel dirty when that happens.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Anachronos has proven to be a solid card so far. Opponents don't know what to do when it comes down. You can almost hear them trying to decide if they should keep playing minions or hold off until their minions return. With Flight of the Bronze, bronze explorer and the amalgam, it's often easy to discover a second one too and repeat the confusion. Such a cool combination of art, function and flavor.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Tome Tampering was one of my favorite cards in the Mechathun Warlock deck and helped get my final original 9 class up to 500 wins.

I had my fun and don't mind it being banned in Wild, but it does indicate an issue. As the game grows, various archetypes, both successful and unsuccessful in Standard, will eventually gather so much support in Wild that they could reach critical mass. Secret Mage is a toned-down example of this, but Discard Warlock broke it - there are too many cards that have discarding as the "drawback" and too many that benefit from being discarded. Same for the Demon Seed - too many cards in Wild give self-damage that turning this into a benefit and warped the game. I guess a lot of archetypes wouldn't be affected by this, but some where the meta speculation for their time in standard was "if this had a little more support in Standard, it could be playable/great", could potentially build up to wreck Wild at some point.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

There are some fun games and cool new cards. Anachronos may be my favorite card ever. However, I do agree with some of the concerns I've been seeing here. When collecting achievements with Priest and Warrior, the two worst, there were a lot of matches I didn't expect to win but found some frustrating situations that made even a more casual playing for achievements not as fun.

Examples of cards that annoy me as they make having a board work against you:

Soulstealer and Blood Boil
Unleash Fel, especially painful with Arcanist
Shockspitter, as Devouring Swarm returns it to their hand if you have a board built up

Additionally, there are several cards that might be fine if they had additional restrictions, but can make for annoying, broken early turns or make things too hyper-swingy in the early or mid game. Things like sinstone graveyard.

There's also Druid which has a lot of cards good for certain situations and a lot of cards for ramping and drawing or discovering them. No individual problem card, just a critical mass of good ones.

I'm hoping things improve in the next year's set -after rotation my personal opinion is that the power level of Stormwind and Alterac were too high and that's caused problems with balance in the Hydra year's sets. I'm also still annoyed at how several Stormwind quest rewards synergized with their conditions instead of relying on something different, making for a lot of linear games before repeated nerfs put them out of mainstream use.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

I had been playing casual wild per Desert Bus's suggestion and having a lot of fun. I tried a game of Standard after the patch, my opponent got a Denathrius on turn 3 through evolve Shaman. Back to wild until the miniset, except for weekly quests.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Perfect. Also, to add salt to the wound, their gnoll took out my early minion before transforming into Denny.

I think their nerfs were pretty solid and moving the meta in the right direction. I have mostly enjoyed their year of the Hydra cards. Anachronos is probably my favorite card ever in terms of flavor, functionality and art. There's still a few too many cards to make early lopsided non-games for my liking though.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Discover is a good concept and mechanic, but it can be extremely powerful. I'm in favor of most discover effects being fairly specific rather than stuff like "discover a spell" or "discover a minion".

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

No Wave posted:

Archetype is fun -> Devs try to push it -> They go too far and archetype is now no longer fun.

I was mentally writing up a post on this, but you summarized it there. I'll just add in a couple supplementary notes.

1. Nut draws should be rare and interesting for both players when made. Making it reasonably common to get a powerful 10-cost minion out on turn 3 isn't fun to play against. I guess it could be fun for the person doing it, but if it's common and easy enough, they'll have it done against them too.

2. While watching big, interesting things happen is a cornerstone of Hearthstone, it does feel like they push it too far to make them happen earlier and more often. I know that they want to keep things interesting and fresh, but this also can make things feel too swingy and annoying for many players. I'm not sure what the best way to go about keeping things interesting while minimizing swing is myself, but it definitely doesn't feel as fun.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

I've been working on this Wild deck, it actually performs fairly well in Casual Wild. Any suggestions for improvement would be appreciated:

### Jungle Giants
# Class: Druid
#
# 1x (1) Jungle Giants
# 2x (2) Incorporeal Corporal
# 2x (2) Living Seed (Rank 1)
# 2x (2) Stockades Prisoner
# 2x (3) Elder Longneck
# 1x (3) King Mukla
# 1x (5) Loatheb
# 2x (5) Twilight Runner
# 2x (5) Verdant Longneck
# 2x (7) Ancient of Lore
# 1x (7) Colaque
# 1x (8) The Lich King
# 1x (8) Varian, King of Stormwind
# 1x (9) Alexstrasza
# 1x (9) Alexstrasza the Life-Binder
# 1x (10) Colossus of the Moon
# 1x (10) Lokholar the Ice Lord
# 1x (10) Neptulon the Tidehunter
# 2x (10) Scrapyard Colossus
# 1x (10) Sire Denathrius
# 2x (10) Stoneborn General
#
AAEBAaa4AwzFBJ0N+g6LwQLCzgLfqQPZ+QOwigTvpASgsAS/zgTp0AQJi8AC/sAC87sD3tEDtuwD1fkDg9QErO0E1PEEAA==
#

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

In casual I'll generally play against any deck or class I'm initially matched against, but I find the things that make me just concede early and move in out of frustration are:

1. Repeated board freezes
2. Milling
3. Excessive disruption

For ranked play, there are many more serious considerations, but in terms of "I'm just here to play something fun", the first two in particular are so annoying, I just concede and move on. Hand disruption isn't as bad - cards like Dirty Rat are fine because they have a possible drawback. It's later game Theotars or Mutanuses that can instantly ruin my memes I've been setting up for throughout the game that are the painful part. Unfortunately it looks like Blizzard may be moving more in this direction.

I'm glad I got all the original 9 classes up to 500 wins and don't have to slog through ranked anymore.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

For me, Hearthstone always has its ups and downs. There's always going to be a sizable chunk of the player base (even in casual) who will value winning over anything else. If the most likely decks to win are decks I don't like playing against, it's going to be a down time. Aside from ramp druid early after Sunken City's release I tended to enjoy standard until MotLK came out. Since then it's been largely down.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

The flavor of the new expansion is interesting. It looks pretty neat, seems that they're going for a lot of high impact cards rather than busted combos. Tentatively looking forward to UiS and Alterac rotating out and this one rotating in. Just... don't keep Brann in core.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

From my preorder and a set of 50 packs via gold, my son opened 3 signature legendaries. 1 golden legendary, and about 6 regular legendaries. I opened 50 more from gold by myself and got... 1 regular legendary.

Big Beast and Mister Mukla seem amazing so far.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

kater posted:

barrel of monkeys is pretty fun.

More fun than a barrel of monkeys?

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

I'm back in Standard for a bit, enjoying it a lot more than the MotLK meta. I think UiS and Alterac rotating out helped a lot.

My main complaint is that the decks I like to play don't do well against blood or frost DK, and there are a lot of them. Most of my non-DK matches are pretty fun though. I had to try Overload Shaman since my son opened a signature Inzah for me, and it's probably not Tier 1, but fun and competitive. I managed to live the dream and get a board of 7 Ragnaroses to finish off a DK once.

### Overloadnaros
# Class: Shaman
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Wolf
#
# 2x (1) Azsharan Scroll
# 2x (1) Lightning Bolt
# 2x (1) Overdraft
# 2x (1) Scalding Geyser
# 2x (1) Schooling
# 2x (2) Ancestral Knowledge
# 2x (3) Jazz Bass
# 2x (3) Lightning Storm
# 2x (4) Prescience
# 2x (5) Altered Chord
# 2x (5) Command of Neptulon
# 1x (5) Inzah
# 1x (5) JIVE, INSECT!
# 1x (5) Queen Azshara
# 1x (7) Glugg the Gulper
# 2x (7) Pack the House
# 2x (8) Criminal Lineup
#
AAECAejwBATptgTbuQTI0AWy0QUN+Z8E/Z8E4LUEvLYExs4EmdsEq+0EhqEFncUFvtAFr9EFv54G5p4GAAA=
#

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Color Printer posted:

Tempted to tweak all my decks to include some kinda of silence option through E.T.C. because Kangor -> Flesh Behemoth -> Thaddius is just stupid

Do you see Kangor often? I think I have only seen it once early on. It was a hard loss, but I never saw it again while hanging in my low platinum bubble collecting achievements.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Desert Bus posted:

poo poo of decks that ain't been boring (Casual Wild):

### Legend Even Warlock
# Class: Warlock
#
# 2x (0) Raise Dead
# 1x (2) Astalor Bloodsworn
# 2x (2) Defile
# 2x (2) Dirty Rat
# 2x (2) Drain Soul
# 2x (2) Recombobulator
# 1x (4) E.T.C., Band Manager
# 1x (5) Cataclysm
# 1x (5) Loatheb
# 1x (7) Mutanus the Devourer
# 1x (4) Pozzik, Audio Engineer
# 2x (4) Seadevil Stinger
# 2x (4) Soul Rend
# 2x (4) Spice Bread Baker
# 1x (6) Anetheron
# 1x (6) Battleground Battlemaster
# 1x (6) Genn Greymane
# 1x (6) Symphony of Sins
# 1x (8) Gigafin
# 2x (10) Goldshire Gnoll
# 2x (12) Mountain Giant
# 2x (20) Molten Giant
#
AAEBAcn1AgjN9ALH+QOH+wP1xwTipAX9xAX5xgX0yAUL4QfcCpwQ870C38QC58sC184D2O0DwPkDxvkD56AEAAED+g79xAXO6QL9xAWm7wP9xAUAAA==
#

Mutanus disagrees

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

As an avid fan of time travel stories/thought experiments, and dragons to a lesser extent, I'm glad to see Anachronos getting some love. While I didn't care as much for most of MotLK compared to the other three expansions in standard, Anachronos is probably my favorite card ever.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Scholtz posted:

Keyword: Displace (or Supplant?)

When you play this card, choose a (friendly?) minion/location/weapon to swap with this card, shuffle the target into your deck.

Not sure how balanced that'd be or which class(es) it'd fit best but it might be FUN

At least let us replace frozen minions. I'd prefer a revamping of the freeze mechanic, but if that would invalidate too many established cards, letting us replace frozen minions would be a good consolation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Desert Bus posted:

I've said it before and I will say it again now. Ranked is dumb. This is a game, play it for fun, not wins or losses. The only fun format is Casual Wild. So try Casual Wild if you're burnt out. You get to play with all your poo poo and most of the players are just having fun playing random off meta stuff. Ranked Wild is all Kingsbane right now I think? but I've only seen one in Casual in the past week.

Mostly true, but I've been playing ranked lately for some achievements. A lot of the achievements from this expansion are pretty fun, a lot more so than MotLK's. However, casual is more fun from a deck experimentation standpoint and if you're up against one of those decks that you hate, just concede and nothing lost.