Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Mayveena posted:

I guess they missed the part where people hate that poo poo.

"You could always stop playing, but hey, you've just invested years and hundreds/thousands of dollars into this game already..." :troll:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Besides, it's not like the gold you get at most of the levels is worth anything anymore, you fuckin' whiners." :troll:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Nice, so you can't purchase the non-Golden mini-sets with Google Play (and I'd assume App Store) credit since it's Fuckyoustones or Old & Busted Gold only now.

Oh nice, you can't even purchase the non-Golden mini-set directly from their store anymore. It literally outlines in gold "Use Runestones or Gold to buy the Normal Mini-Set in-game!"

(and yes, I'm aware that - at the very least - they didn't make the mini-set cost some odd cost of Fuckyoustones...this time)

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 27, 2022

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

RatHat posted:

https://twitter.com/MartianBuu/status/1574847002763935744?s=20&t=Tz1GLWgtWhweBoCnDUZ2Jg

Guess Jailer+Bolf isn’t a meme

Ugh that card back is real good but I really hope this one isn’t as tedious as the last…

Watch the trigger be "Buy 25,000 Runestones."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Blooming Brilliant posted:

We live in a world where Bolf Ramshield may legitimately eat a nerf/change,

what a time to be alive.

I've kept a golden Bolf for years now. :smug:

Finally my historical tendency to get bad/"worthless" golden legendaries kinda-sorta pays off!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

If for whatever reason you wanted to buy something in Hearthstone, there's a PayPal promo active through Google Play at present: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/google-play-2022

Only 100,000 redemptions, US only.

Hope everyone's had decent luck accruing Play Points for money off expansions. I've found that once you hit ~$30 saved, surveys start coming more infrequently through Opinion Rewards.

Another thing to keep in mind is - if you've ever paid for anything on/through Google Play (with PayPal) prior to this, no :10bux: for you.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 16, 2022

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Anyone else having an issue where they're logging in to an unusable main screen where the only clickable options are the friend's list and options menu?

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 27, 2022

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

PneumonicBook posted:

This with Brann is going to be absolutely disgusting. Even by itself it's the nuts.

They do this every loving expansion. That card will remain 7-cost for a few weeks before they bump it up to 8 and adjust the stats to compensate.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Kalko posted:

I will never log offstop playing Theotar!

Yeah, they could make him a 6-mana 0/1 and people would still play it. The body is immaterial.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Sandwolf posted:

very hosed up if they're just gonna let people lucky enough to open the packs early a bunch of legendaries wtf

It's not like Signature cards can be dusted, so they're actually worth LESS than standard or golden legendaries. It's a stupidly brilliant and evil move by Blizzard, making people desire something that has less utility and flexibility.

And, of course, I opened my packs late and out of the four Signature legendaries I got, Grand Magister Rommath and Blood Matriarch Liadrin were two of them, so I got doubly-hosed because GMR and BML are Season Pass and "Caught 'Em All" Diamond legendaries that also can't be loving dusted.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

victorious posted:

I got a Signature Rommath in a pack and then collected Diamond Rommath from the reward track but was not given the option to re-roll either, sounds like this is happening to multiple people on Reddit too. Other re-rolls are happening properly though, weird.

Edit: Oohhhhh, apparently you only get to re-roll craftable/disenchantable cards? That's kind of annoying actually.

Yeah, I not only got Rommath but Liadrin as well. Diamond and Signature cards are a ripoff as they're a premium element that have less utility and flexibility than Standard and Golden cards.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Just a reminder - for those who took my advice on the Google Play points from the last thread, don't redeem your 12/30 weekly reward until 1/1 so the points count towards your *next year's* total. They don't do you any good for next year if you claim them in 2022.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Im mad because i didnt realise you couldnt dust signature cards and my second legendary was a signature legendary that im never going to use

I also have Grand Magister Rommath, but I haven't bought the Season Pass yet.

:negative:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 20, 2022

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

No Wave posted:

Its kind of crazy they've committed to making cards for 11 classes every time they want to release cards.

I'm thinking this is the year I just stop playing Hearthstone. It's only a matter of time before we get *another* in-game currency to go along with gold and runestones, and their playtesting has gotten atrocious.

It's just not fun in Standard or Wild anymore.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Strawberry Panda posted:

Shout out to the dude who told me about the Google Opinion surveys. Love banking Google Play points and Gold for future sets.

:unsmith:

Remember, don't claim your last weekly bonus until after 1/1 so whatever points you get credit towards next year's status.

Also, periodically keep a watch on the promotions tab since every so often there's a "load this app for 24h and get five points" promo, and they usually put ~3-5 up for an easy 15-25 points every month or so. They put them at the very bottom of the page, and make note of when you installed them because if you uninstall them before 24h, they'll remove them. You never have to open the app, just download it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Since it's a new year, I feel the need to type up a new effortpost on how to spend less on this loving game courtesy of Google.

What you will need:
1. A Smartphone (Android or iPhone doesn't matter)
2. Access to *some* kind of Android device that can access the Play Store *and* preferably run Hearthstone (at least load it to the point of being able to navigate the menu/shop)
3. The Google Opinion Rewards app (available for Android and iPhone)

Step 1: Turn on Location Services on your phone. In order to earn credit, you have to let multinational conglomerates spy on where you've been. If that's a bridge too far for you, skip down to Step #3.

Step 2: Install Google Opinion Rewards. It's going to ask you some basic demographic information, like age and gender and languages spoken. Not that you should ever *lie* to a multinational conglomerate, but evidently claiming to be a woman will get you more surveys. Be sure you can also *speak* the languages you claim you're fluent in, because the surveys will occasionally test your proficiency with "what word doesn't belong in this group" types of tests.

What to expect: The surveys you will get will be tied to locations you've visited, or locations you might've just been close enough to that the app *thinks* you visited them. Occasionally it'll "test" you and throw five locations you were never even close to or don't even exist. If you bite on these, you risk being paid less or ultimately locked out of getting further surveys. Answering honestly will usually net you around ten to fifteen cents. Trust me, it adds up. The location surveys (that you complete) will also ask you to take a picture of any receipt(s) you got, so get into a habit of saving those as that can usually net you an extra 20-30 cents in exchange for giving Google more demographic data about you. :rolleyes:

You'll also occasionally get surveys about whether you'd be interested in a specific app. Try to answer something other than "3 out of 5" because it seems that earns you a consistent ten cents because it's indecisive. You'll also be queried about poo poo you might've browsed for, and these occasionally will have "fill in" sections. These are the "money" surveys and pretty consistently give fifty cents or more. You might be asking why you should care about ten-fifty cents, but it does add up. Over the course of a Hearthstone expansion release schedule, you can accrue ~$20-40 in Google Play credit, which is a healthy chunk out of an expansion pack. Now I'm going to tell you how you can save even more.

Step 3: Google Play Points. These are another way to stack savings. This is unfortunately where you need an Android device, again, one that preferably can at least load its way into the Hearthstone menu and navigate it without bursting into flames.

There are four levels of "status" with Google Play: Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum. Once you get to Silver (at 100 points) you start earning weekly "awards" every Friday which can be "up to" 100 points. It's immaterial because hitting Gold (at 600 points) should be piss easy by March/April (when the next expansion should drop) if you're diligent. Gold should be your primary goal, as once you hit it, you're earning 20% more points per purchase (which, granted, isn't much given $10 would net you 12 points instead of 10 on Bronze and 11 on Silver). Given that the year JUST started, it's not out of the realm of possibility to get Platinum before the end of the year just through Opinion Rewards and Hearthstone purchases, but I've done it before.

The hardest part about these is just that, being diligent and patient. If you're not ultra-competitive, *don't* buy expansions and mini-sets as soon as you can. Why? Because every so often, usually once a month (and usually at the end of the month), Google Play will drop point modifiers for purchases, anywhere from 2-5x. Which means the upcoming $19.99 mini-set we all know is coming would net you anywhere from 40-100 points in a single purchase. They'll also have point multipliers on books every so often, so if you're a prolific reader, maybe buy during those bonuses. Every 100 points is redeemable for $1 in Play Credit. And it's pretty easy to find yourself with 1000 points to blow on an extra :10bux: off a Hearthstone expansion.

There are also occasionally "free points" in the form of installing an app on your device for 24h, and you find these at the very bottom of the "Special Earn Rates" list. They're serious about the full 24h, though - you never have to actually *open* the app, just keep it installed for 24h, and you get your free points. Every so often they'll drop *five* of these at once.

Between Google Opinion Rewards and only buying poo poo just for Hearthstone during point bonuses, I'm able to save up ~$50-60 in Play Credit between expansions.

NOTE: Every so often you'll see a "quest" with four steps that will promise a ~reward~ of "at least 100 points." Unless you're already planning on buying something, don't do it. I've done two of them now and the "reward" was a measly 100 points, which really sucks since you have to SPEND at least 100 points to *get* 100 points. You'll also occasionally get a "special" where if you spend $X usually two times, they'll give you bonuses, usually of a few hundred points. Again, it's your choice if you want to do that.

Also, the Opinion Rewards app *does* work outside of North America, I just don't know how lucrative it'd be. Every new update to it mentions new countries being added, but even then, you should still get the "browsing" and "rate this app" surveys. Again, it adds up, and even if you can only save up $10-20 (in your country's currency), it's not *your* money you're spending.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 7, 2023

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

Yo guys I'm here with a HOT tip that Blizzard doesn't want you to know about. First, download this poo poo on to your phone. There's gonna be some words about how it can track anywhere you go and anything you do and use that information for anything and sell it to anyone for any reason. You're gonna wanna ignore all that and just smash the Allow button or choose I Agree whenever it asks.

Then you just gotta do a bunch of tedious bullshit and obsessively check for deals every day and occasionally install more poo poo. Eventually you will get enough sick rewards that you too can EARN less than an hour's worth of work at a minimum wage job each month to buy video game cards.

Thank you Google for selflessly providing this incredible opportunity at no cost to us.

Ah, there's that old school "I can't just ignore poo poo I don't feel like doing" post energy. :allears:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Looks like more Silence effects are on the menu, boys.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

In my bid to spend as little as possible on this game, it seems there's a promo through Google Play Games that if you install their Beta Windows app, you get $7 off your first purchase.

Seven bucks paid by Google is seven bucks less out of your pocket.

What you should be looking for:

And the download page (Win10 required): https://play.google.com/googleplaygames#section-system-requirements

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Also, don't forget about the free EPIC card on Twitch Prime that expires on 4/19.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So can anyone explain to me why for some reason, before today when I had a complete collection, that I'm now "missing" copies of Focused Will, Vanessa VanCleef, and Bloodsail Deckhand, all cards I *know* I had that I now do not?

I know they were moved to the Legacy set, but I owned them before that happened, and now I don't.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

RatHat posted:

They were Core cards, which are “rented” to players at the start of the year

Ah. So the reason is :jerkbag:.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

mcbexx posted:

Twitch Prime just dropped three standard packs into my lap, so you might want to check your prime loot page.

No, those were not drops from the SolaryHS tournament on the weekend.

Don't forget that this is also the last day to claim your ~Free Epic~ card, too.

Kind of a rip, since in expansions past it was a free Legendary.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I'm surprised they're not giving away some "Exodia" to "one lucky player" in each marketplace that has an ability to forcibly log you out of the game, but only once, of course.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

goferchan posted:

That said I assumed there would be some kind of deal at least equivalent to the preorder bundles for the Cavern set but it doesn't seem like it. Don't know if I'll dip in, feels like it would have been more enticing as a mini set or something instead

I was able to complete the set with just the new "Wild Bundle" with 25 packs and two random legendaries and dusting all my commons and rares from Uldum. So it really only cost me $19.99, like a mini set. I definitely bought a Wild pack with gold first before I changed buying the bundle, though - got Al-Akir in that pack, so I figured I didn't need to buy the specific expansion packs.

It's really lovely that they didn't even bother to put in a collection reward unlock for completion of their "first" Wild expansion.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I kinda feel like Titans should have summoning sickness apply to their abilities as well, but have immunity to everything until your next turn so they're not as easily dispatched.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

EDIT: Apparently these offers are random, but check anyway as any money off is helpful.

Those on Android, make sure to check your Notifications on the Play Store, there's a $4 off $19.01+ offer that expires 11/17 on any game or app. It makes it seem/sound like it's only valid on some bubble game, but when you look at the offer, it's on anything $19.01 and higher.

The catch is that it's not passive - you have to claim the offer before you can use it.

Four bucks is four bucks, especially going into a new expansion. :shrug:

Bisse posted:

What gets me is the 5/5 stats.

But will ActBlizz the small indie game company remember to remove it from the Zombeast pool?

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 3, 2023

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I guess there are random offers. Welp. -_-

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

:downs:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

How long is a mini-set usually kept up for sale?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

fanny packrat posted:

A while, I think. At least a couple of months.

Yeah, I'm in no hurry to play at the moment and I'd rather wait for a blanket bonus points event through Google Play. Thanks.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Strawberry Panda posted:

I think when you draw a Plague it goes right back into your deck.

Yeah, it inserts a new copy then shuffles your remaining deck.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

This week's "brawl" might be the laziest one ever.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

It does count as a completed game each time you "win," at least.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Whizbang was worth the Golden upgrade. Used him to polish off some early rewards to earn new packs before opening my bundled ones.

This is the first expansion where I was actually getting duplicate Legendaries with 44 packs left out of 205 (195 Standard/10 Golden) total. I also managed to get one Signature Legendary (Pipsi Painthoof) and two Golden Legendaries from the Golden packs (Game Master Nemsy & Puzzlemaster Khadgar).

I've learned my lesson about not getting the Level 2 reward as prior pack openings have loved to give me the Golden version of the Season Pass Diamond Legendary. I avoided that this time with Whizbang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Whoever had the bright loving idea that Auras should be stackable on top of each other can fall into a mulcher on the slowest setting.

They should work like secrets and quests.