Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

There are many boats in the world: catamaran, dinghy, flat boats, barges, canoes, kayaks, steamboats, yachts. These are just some of the many types of boats or ships. This is a safe space for us to discuss the various types of boats or even ships

what’s the difference between a boat and a ship
For the most part it’s you know it when you see it but technically a ship is over 500 gross tonnes and is ocean-going or at least on something like the Great Lakes. Somewhere you can’t see land at least.

oh so it weighs over 500 tons
No that’s displacement which is how much a boat weighs. Nobody cares about that. Gross ton is a volume measurement of how much cargo it could carry if it was a cargo ship. The coast guard measures all enclosed areas and subtracts things like sleeping quarters, bathrooms, kitchens etc to arrive at the number. This determined things like whose qualified to steer it and how the boats taxed. There’s some absolutely huge boats which on paper are really small because of boat companies being very creative about how to subtract space.

what’s a knot
One nautical mile per hour

what’s a nautical mile

One land mile and an eighth

why not just use normal miles

Look at the explanation for gross tons. Do you think this is a place where common sense reigns?

should I buy a boat?
No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

I once saw the Maltese falcon up close, and that poo poo is crazy

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

They’re called vessels and yachts, OP. JFC

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

a nautical mile is actually way cooler because it's a slice of the earths circumference, measured radially. it's equal to transiting 1 minute of arc across the mean circumference of the earth. there are 60 minutes in a degree, so the earths circumference is 21,600 nautical miles

at least, that's its origin. it was a lot more practical when ships navigated by eye, using the stars. now it's exactly 1,852 because we use gps and that's more practical

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i have a nazi sextant but i can't afford a boat

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
can we watch Das Boot together I just want someone to watch Das Boot with :(

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
das boot is about a boot

this is the story of a boot that cried a river and drowned the whole world

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Private Cumshoe posted:

can we watch Das Boot together I just want someone to watch Das Boot with :(

ya

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
https://youtu.be/xUsOJrw5PJE

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

*presses F nautically*

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is the submarine that goon murdered someone in a boat, or is a submarine it’s own thing?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

such a demeaning gimmick

"Your character is that you're Hulk's pudgy friend and you help him out. Know what a good analogy for that is?"

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

LuckyCat posted:

Is the submarine that goon murdered someone in a boat, or is a submarine it’s own thing?

that's a goblin

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I got a jonboat I use to turn tricks on

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
What's up and down and blue all-around, shipmates?

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

the oceans belong to Poseidon, they are not mans domain

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Naval combat used to be cool now it's just lame they shoot missiles and cannons from over wicked far away now instead of up close and cool

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Naval combat was never cool. Unless you maybe fought in the arctic?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Starboard is pronounced “STAH-b’d”

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Cool thread op.

If you can't keep Port and Starboard straight you can instead remember Larboard/Starboard. Larboard starts with L, as it's the left version of Starboard. Then from there you can pretend you remembered that Port is left.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

No pooping on the poopdeck!!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Port is Left because both have four letters

My dad taught me that and I've used it every single time Ive needed to know the difference. Which is almost never.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Black Flag was a really fun game and made me want to learn about boats and sing sea shanties

Skull & Bones is the spiritual sequel set to release this Nov, but it's got Duke Nukem Forever syndrome

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I would like to get a boat but I don't have anywhere to keep it when its not boating.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FogHelmut posted:

I would like to get a boat but I don't have anywhere to keep it when its not boating.

Get a really big pool. :hmmyes:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Who What Now posted:

Port is Left because both have four letters

My dad taught me that and I've used it every single time Ive needed to know the difference. Which is almost never.

Do you have any red port left? left is port, and that's where the red light is (green light is on the right/starboard side)

I got my pilots license before I learned about sailing, and I was amazed at how much nautical terminology there was in flying (angle of attack, trim, etc).

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Get a house boat, with a pool inside, and you can just squat in any body of water, cops can't touch you if you're a captain

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense
What's so good about having a super yacht?

It's definitely better than my own brand economy life, but if I was a billionaire I feel like I'd rather have fancy houses I flew between.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Colonel Cancer posted:

Get a house boat, with a pool inside, and you can just squat in any body of water, cops can't touch you if you're a captain

this is true but only if you're an actual captain of a commercial boat and you're in the water not docked. and then you're at the complete mercy of a bunch of anal retentive rule-nerds who couldn't get into the navy so its not worth it frankly.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

mudskipp posted:

What's so good about having a super yacht?

It's definitely better than my own brand economy life, but if I was a billionaire I feel like I'd rather have fancy houses I flew between.

If you buy houses on the coast you can just super yacht between them

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i’m only interested in schooners

dot communist
Mar 28, 2005

Some famous boats from popular culture:

The Titanic

The HMS Bounty and Li'l Skip

A sailboat

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004