Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Its cpu intensive, not gpu.

my pc is at least 10 years old and runs it fine.

trying to see exactly how old i i just see that 31 of this month intel stops servicing my cpu. whatever that means. But wikipedia says 2017 :/

guess time is relative.

I hear it runs ok on steam deck, so a cloud thing might be ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitAstronaut
Mar 7, 2024
Thanks for the info. We do also have a Lenovo Yoga.. wonder how it'll run. Appreciate your time.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I play sometimes on Geforce Now, the $10 tier. Streaming quality is pretty solid in both latency and image quality, though I probably live right by one of their data centers and have gigabit internet. However, you won't be able to use any handy mods, and GFN isn't great about supporting extra mouse buttons, depending on what platform you're playing on. Also, the game is very CPU-intensive, as noted above, so the game will start to struggle in some of the newer expansion areas if you go beyond the lowest graphical settings, which I believe GFN forces as the default graphical settings every time you launch the game.

Some of the issues are probably mitigated by being a new player—you won't care about mods, you might not need to fully customize your keybinds just yet and worry about extra mouse buttons, and you can still bump up the graphics somewhat on the $10 tier in the older zones (I've never tried the ultimate tier). But overall, if I didn't have access to a decent computer, I'd be perfectly happy continuing to play GW2 on my Android tablet or my work Macbook (support for the Mac client unfortunately ended about three years ago). I'm not really a stickler for graphics, so I'm fine just leaving the game on the lowest settings

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
I know that in game deaths don't loving matter in gw2 but I would love for them to fix the loving dragonstorm bug that shoots you through the danger zone and instantly kills you

It's really god drat annoying

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Counterpoint: it’s dumb and hilarious

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

I just shake my head when I see other people faceplant on the ground, but also lately I've been less tolerant when a video game just Doesn't Work so a lot of my irk definitely stems from that

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

I pretty often just fall out of the sky for the fun of it. I've learned its way funnier if I don't die from it and just splat next to the trader and other customers.

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d
Nostalgic for fall damage reduction traits

Also endless screaming

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

whydirt posted:

Counterpoint: it’s dumb and hilarious

I mean other than all their minions it's about the only time either dragon racks up a kill count.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Anet sure does love to reuse the wyvern from heart of thorns every chance they get, don't they?

How many wyvern fights are we up to in the game by now? there are at least 4 just in this expansion so far.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I look forward to the day I never have to run any of the HoT metas again. I still need so many leyline crystals.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Anet sure does love to reuse the wyvern from heart of thorns every chance they get, don't they?

How many wyvern fights are we up to in the game by now? there are at least 4 just in this expansion so far.

I don't know, entirely too many, but I admire their dedication to keep throwing one of the arguably less loving fun archetypes our way. Like I genuinely hate wyverns, they are so terribly unfun to fight, but we sure get a lot of them!

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Nuebot posted:

I look forward to the day I never have to run any of the HoT metas again. I still need so many leyline crystals.

king of the jungle has a 12k infusion (that i am now 100% sure i got the neck, and sold it for 1g) and is good to do at least once a day.

youll be swimming in leyline crystals

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Meskhenet posted:

king of the jungle has a 12k infusion (that i am now 100% sure i got the neck, and sold it for 1g) and is good to do at least once a day.

youll be swimming in leyline crystals

I try to catch it because I still need leyline crystals and those crystallized items for hivemaster but I always either miss it, or wind up in maps where one whole lane gets missed, cursed luck.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Nuebot posted:

I try to catch it because I still need leyline crystals and those crystallized items for hivemaster but I always either miss it, or wind up in maps where one whole lane gets missed, cursed luck.

show up at least 7 minutes but preferably closer to 10 early and make sure to check lfg so you can taxi out if need be. also if you have a pin you can organize one really quickly with v little knowledge, public pins are just safety blankets for pubbies.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Saraiguma posted:

show up at least 7 minutes but preferably closer to 10 early and make sure to check lfg so you can taxi out if need be. also if you have a pin you can organize one really quickly with v little knowledge, public pins are just safety blankets for pubbies.

That sounds like effort. I just pop into the place a few minutes after I log on to see if it's going. If not I wander off to get the treasure mushrooms before figuring out what I need to do for the day.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

For most metas unfortunately you need to be there at least a solid 10 before it starts to not catch an overflow map. I know it sounds like effort but that's just how the game is, unfortunately

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

As long as the overflow can get it done I don't care if it's sloppy, honestly. Tangled Depths is the only one I really miss all that often, or if I do catch it it fails with any frequency. I get dragons stand most days and auric basin regularly.

EDIT: It does amuse me that they made lion's arch so big and flat to make it easier to navigate and use but then also put a bunch of random npcs that path right next to things like the mystic forge and bank. I can not count the number of times I ran up to the forge, hit F, and some dude just looked at me instead of the interface opening.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 21, 2024

Jay-Roden
Jul 22, 2018

My leg is hungry.

Blood for the Blood God!
Skulls for the Skull Throne!
Just started playing over this past week and was curious if either of the guilds are still active?
I am only level 20~ so it will be a long while before I can do any guild activities though.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

GOON def is. SDF still has some people but not as much.

join both if you can

Swing State Victim
Nov 8, 2012
Kinda behind the curve since I came back to the game, but it feels like SotO isn’t really going anywhere interesting. I mostly liked the first half up to the giant tentacle monster meta event in Amnytas. Lots of asset reuse, but I liked the silly ideas behind the skywatch islands etc. Once you get to Nayos things kinda fall off the rails. The zone itself is kinda cool, but it’s a grey and red environment filled with grey and red mobs, many of which have tiny models and are difficult to see. The meta events especially are lame. We just had a giant eldritch creature we had to fight across a whole zone and now we’ve entered a demon realm where we’re fighting…a reskinned dude in a cave and yet another wyvern with a graphical theme that doesn’t really even match the rest of the Kryptis. Maybe it’ll build to something, but the additions so far are duds.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i love all the retooling and balancing they've been doing but the story's been a wet fart. never has enough time to breathe and fails at simple things like communicating the idea of two demon armies clashing

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Yeah, the whole expansion is underwhelming and it really sticks out that they haven't really had anyone making new animations for enemies for a very, very long time, new big bad is a fleshy Qadim, Wyvern reused all over the place, Nourys was just a big wall with healthbars attached and random tentacles reskinned from heart of thorns that ends in a Zhaitan cannon level of excitement as the zerg stands still and presses buttons slowly in a locked order one after the other and Nayos part 2 is just reusing most of the old part 1 uninspired events.

The general patches and QoL changes have been good at least, gobblers taking from material storage and candy gobbler having a vendor window instead of a 5 second lockout is great when you want some boosts quickly, now just need a gobbler gobbler that gobbles the gobblers into a single gobbler.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Got some friends that want to give this game a shot and I plan to level a character alongside them. They'll definitely want to do all of the dungeon paths so I'm trying to think of a profession/build that can semi-effectively support with boons/heals at low levels with garbage gear and no elite specs. Anyone have any suggestions?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

It's going to be very tough to be support while leveling as those options don't really come together until the endgame. Guardian and Revenant probably have the best options in terms of core weapons and utility skills that don't require being in the endgame. Necro has some decent options to res fallen allies on its core utilities and traits, which is strong support while leveling as well.

Grab everyone whatever the highest life regen food you can get for your level as that'll help some with sustain.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Yeah, basically every support has a elite spec to enable it so that every spec can't support.

Celestial guardian or necro probably would be the best of bad options, but any elite spec would be way, way better.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

whydirt posted:

It's going to be very tough to be support while leveling as those options don't really come together until the endgame. Guardian and Revenant probably have the best options in terms of core weapons and utility skills that don't require being in the endgame. Necro has some decent options to res fallen allies on its core utilities and traits, which is strong support while leveling as well.

Grab everyone whatever the highest life regen food you can get for your level as that'll help some with sustain.

whatever garbage gear with a staff and mace shield guardian is the only thing close to that leveling

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Vargs posted:

Got some friends that want to give this game a shot and I plan to level a character alongside them. They'll definitely want to do all of the dungeon paths so I'm trying to think of a profession/build that can semi-effectively support with boons/heals at low levels with garbage gear and no elite specs. Anyone have any suggestions?

Others have already shared excellent advice: Guardian/Revenant are safe bets and will get the job done. I'd personally recommend Guardian for the condition cleanse, stability, aegis, basically things that let you ignore/negate enemy mechanics.

For leveling, you don't even necessarily need a dedicated healing set like in classic WoW, that's much more of an end game thing.

Just throwing it out there, but Engineer could also work. Healing Turret is quite good and effective for groups. Engy tools to think about : Med Kit, Elixir Gun, Elixir H.

At the end of the day, I'd recommend checking out the Elite specs and picking whichever spec looks interesting to you, so the end game will be most enjoyable. Rev, Engy and Guardian all have excellent end game specs right now.

Power Scrapper (Engy elite spec) is one of the best all-rounder open world/instance end-game damage dealers. It's fun to smash stuff with a comically sized hammer and see the screen explode with numbers. Can't go wrong with making an Engineer, they can fill most roles well.

Faxanadus
Oct 16, 2023
Yeah I just got to Nayos and it seems very phoned in. The earlier Wizard areas were pretty cool but Nayos reminds me of very early WoW content, but still in beta or something.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Nayos feels like they took core Tyria and gave it a coat of Stranger Things paint

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Vargs posted:

My suggestion is if your buddies want to try the game, then don't show them the worst group content in it. If they like that stuff, try to persuade them to boost to 80 (with the free boost from buying an expansion, don't buy them separately) and do fractals instead. Dungeons were abandoned by the devs about 10 years ago, and it shows. 90% of the mechanics are completely ignorable, the others mostly instantly kill you. Also, levelling doesn't work like a lot of other MMOs and is also almost completely pointless (imo).

If go ahead with your plan, I'd suggest you tell them that dungeons aren't like any other content in the game.

Doing dungeons wearing other-MMO-coloured goggles back at release made me quit this game for a decade, mostly because I completely misunderstood everything about it.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

That’s a good point. The best leveling content is probably the world bosses if you want something to do before hitting 80. You can track when they spawn on the Evenr Timer page on the wiki.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

I would say that once they get enough experience post 80 to still maybe do a few paths with them, dungeon armor is still cool and can make for cool transmogs, to this day, as well as being a decent supplemental amount of gold for doing paths. Yeah, it's not raid levels, but getting gold while getting transmog options is nice as opposed to the usual in this game :v:

Just don't make them do Arah though lmao

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Oh yeah, agreed. I wouldn't recommend for new players because they're extremely janky and will probably just be frustrating and confusing.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I logged in for the first time in like 6 years and was assaulted by a shitload of notifications/popups/expansion ads, it was super overwhelming.

I know back in the day I had different sets of armor on my characters so I could switch if I wanted certain stats or to look fabulous etc...but I can't find any of them. Did they get thrown into a wardrobe or something? I guess I might've downsized all my clothes (I really don't remember) but that doesn't sound like me

I had forgotten the name of my slyvari guardian: Rubisco County Jr. And you know what I'm still proud of that one

Swing State Victim
Nov 8, 2012
Your armor may have disappeared into the equipment templates on the character screen. They act as free slots for storing gear but you can remove items and equip from your inventory if you want.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Hmm, doesn't look that way. I appear to have 2 templates available, but I'm not seeing any selection on what armor to wear. God dammit, I had the perfect skirt/top combination and dye job, where could it be

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
One of my earliest memories of GW2 is trying to get some friends to get into it and when they got to around level 35-45 figuring "hey ascalon catacombs is for that level range that should be fun, I'll go on a character in that level range too"

We ended up unable to progress halfway largely because everyone's numbers were so low and poorly geared and inexperienced so that either the swarm of enemies on one of the encounters overwhelmed everyone immediately and couldn't keep the npc alive or people got 1-2 shot by a boss attack that had no good visual clarity of when it was coming and when to dodge, cue everyone having to pay repair bills at the anvil or more likely some people being too inexperienced to remember to repair and going back into the fights with broken equipment.

Since I was the party leader I couldn't swap characters to a max level to carry the group without kicking everyone out and starting over which was not what anyone was in the mood for, they all stopped playing shortly after that.
So I would also recommend not taking them into dungeons until you've all got one elite spec and have bigger numbers then the 10 year old encounters.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I recently did the Ascalonian catacombs myself, alone, and uh yeah that's still some pristine GW2. like I fell back into 2012, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah Ascalonian Catacombs was my first experience with a dungeon and I had basically the same violent and awful experience back in 2012.

I still haven't completed all of the dungeons, and now that the occasional dungeon daily/weekly whatever doesn't exist I probably won't ever.