Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Malpais Legate posted:

Yeah Ascalonian Catacombs was my first experience with a dungeon and I had basically the same violent and awful experience back in 2012.

I still haven't completed all of the dungeons, and now that the occasional dungeon daily/weekly whatever doesn't exist I probably won't ever.

I still have 3 Arah paths to finish to get Dungeon Master. It's never gonna happen :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
Post a dungeon party to LFG and people will join to PUG with you.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

I will trudge through dungeons if called upon. I’ve done story mode on all of them but only a couple random paths.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

DARPA posted:

Post a dungeon party to LFG and people will join to PUG with you.

Maybe but I don't typically play during peak hours, so it's a very hard sell.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

maybe if I do dungeons on my ranger it would be more tolerable???

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Malpais Legate posted:

Yeah Ascalonian Catacombs was my first experience with a dungeon and I had basically the same violent and awful experience back in 2012.

I still haven't completed all of the dungeons, and now that the occasional dungeon daily/weekly whatever doesn't exist I probably won't ever.

ah nostalgia, i remember being kicked from a party in AC because i was an engineer camping flamethrower

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Living World Season 2 event starts today! Good chance to work on the Return to LW amulet collection for that season if you haven’t started that since Silverwastes and Dry Top should be packed all week.

Or if nothing else, it’s a quick way to earn a few extra Mystic Coins.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ill do dungeons if im on and people ask.

Im pretty sure my reaper can unlock all paths too.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
My tip for dungeons is to run an open world build, unless you're in a tightly coordinated group, act like they're harder open world events on the level of say HoT and you will have a much better time. A lot of builds, not even fully BiS'd, could easily deal with dungeons. Granted you *do* need to know some stuff like how much certain enemies will debuff you or whatever so you can slot the correct skills and switch as you go, but the open world power creep has done wonders

If you do run pugs (not in Arah) the worst that I've seen happen is newer players being completely lost and holding back the NPC we need to progress since NPCs dont trigger until everyone is in the room, depending on what dungeon you're running. Special mention to Aetherpath : it is much less dogshit to run ever since they changed the elementals spawning less last major patch. Still need to know a few things like how to deal with reactors, but it is much less bad.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Meowywitch posted:

maybe if I do dungeons on my ranger it would be more bear-able???

C'mon man it was right there

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

Reoxygenation posted:

My tip for dungeons is to run an open world build, unless you're in a tightly coordinated group, act like they're harder open world events on the level of say HoT and you will have a much better time. A lot of builds, not even fully BiS'd, could easily deal with dungeons. Granted you *do* need to know some stuff like how much certain enemies will debuff you or whatever so you can slot the correct skills and switch as you go, but the open world power creep has done wonders

If you do run pugs (not in Arah) the worst that I've seen happen is newer players being completely lost and holding back the NPC we need to progress since NPCs dont trigger until everyone is in the room, depending on what dungeon you're running. Special mention to Aetherpath : it is much less dogshit to run ever since they changed the elementals spawning less last major patch. Still need to know a few things like how to deal with reactors, but it is much less bad.

I've only done them with Reaper and Berzerker in my normal(open world) builds. I've never had to adjust anything for dungeons. I've also coasted mostly without thinking about mechanics for 95% of dungeon stuff. there's like baiting something into getting into damage and protecting something. Most of the time I've just bashed into stuff and that works. Much more spacing than fractals, which are basically doing it a few times to get the gist then it's easier everytime til it's coasting.

Dungeons sound so lovely to me though, I did fractals hundreds of times before even a couple dozen dungeon runs. I don't hate dungeons, but I def think they are more of a 'do them if you need something' and not a focus of the game. But, that's also how I see a lot of the game since I don't WvW unless I need something and I don't really do anything I don't like without a needed reward.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

I mean we're essentially agreeing lol, the reality is that a lot of people just don't have a build, much less a passable one, to work off of, so they kinda just eat poo poo in mixed gear with bad traits, you're already ahead of the curve if you do that

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

For sure, sorry if it didn't appear I was agreeing.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Guild Wars 3 was (apparently) leaked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x5cpmOM7e0

It doesn't appear that this is an April Fool's joke. Every major content creator for GW2 is freaking out about this, Teapot, can't stop talking about it on stream. Turns out GW3 was leaked at an NCSoft shareholders meeting.

No official word from Anet yet, I'm sure they're not too pleased about it.

My theory is that in GW3, all player character models will be replaced with Boons. You'll just enjoy being the essence of Quickness, Might, or Alacrity and float around the map as an amorphous blob providing boons.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 28, 2024

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
It might not even be an MMO in the end, they haven't even started any real development yet apparently. It's half a decade away at the very least, I would't lose my sleep over it.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

I can't see them trying to surprise drop. That's a big hit to good will for customers. Not that companies don't do it, but I just hope they don't enough that I hope the money isn't worth pissing off so many people.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Yeah, I thought they had started development earlier but then NCSoft killed it and made them continue working on expansions?

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

With the state of current game development I'll start caring when I see either a trailer or NCsoft putting the key in Anet's door

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah I'm not going to put any thoughts towards it until we get something concrete.

...but if they don't bring back land spears so help me god

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Didn't Anet just say how they're already working on the 2024 and 2025 expansions? NCSoft basically saying "we want GW3" feels like nothing.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Anet hasn't managed to get a single other product out the door in a decade. I'm sure GW3 is inevitable, GW2 is a decade old at this point, but them announcing it off hand to get share-holders off NC soft west's back doesnt mean much. It could be announced in a few years, it could be announced in another half decade.

This was just a really stupid offhand comment on the part of NC soft brass but then again when have they done anything smart in the past half decade?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It's not like GW2 isn't running on fumes at this point and the only way to fix most old issues is to start from scratch on a sequel.

Question is, will GW3 come out before the WvW update?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

My read isn’t that GW3 is actually under development but that NCSOFT gave anet a greenlight to explore doing it, which would mean it’s 4-5 years away at a minimum if at all.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It's not like GW2 isn't running on fumes at this point and the only way to fix most old issues is to start from scratch on a sequel.

Question is, will GW3 come out before the WvW update?

inb4 'were totally gonna focus on wvw in gw3 we promise, so noalliances and stuff in gw2 btw'

human of smells
Aug 25, 2023
sequels to mmos are always dissapoinnting content deserts.

besides the best of what this game has to offer is in the past, i wouldn't have faith in the current team starting a new game to be even as good as base gw2.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Mr. Neutron posted:

It might not even be an MMO in the end, they haven't even started any real development yet apparently. It's half a decade away at the very least, I would't lose my sleep over it.

Might be weird to say this, but I almost hope it isn't an MMO.

Not that I don't enjoy playing with y'all, but a very polished single player game with a bunch of content (Elden Ring, Cyberpunk 2077 after updates, Witcher 3, Baldur's Gate 3, Hollow Knight, many other examples) is an easier project to tackle, and it would allow GW2 to live out the rest of its life without an impending doom setting in. And MMOs are risky, it's incredibly difficult to get them right and to keep people invested.

Maybe a single player GW3 with some optional online PvP or small group co-op could be cool. You could still have equalized gear and drop-in/drop-out PvP play with people online, a GOOD queue system so you can hop in and play for 30 mins or an hour, get your fix for the day, then log off if you want.

Something that fleshes out the world/characters, with a killer soundtrack and a bunch of impactful skills/abilities would feel just right. Just don't butcher the combat system, it's the shining jewel of GW2 and I hope it isn't simplified and turned into a phone game.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 29, 2024

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Hear me out: what about a game with small group cooperative PvE missions with larger hubs where you can interact with other players. Make some NPCs sidekicks that you can take along to fill in gaps if you don’t want to or can’t find enough players for your party.

And let’s increase the party size from 5 to 8.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

whydirt posted:

Hear me out: what about a game with small group cooperative PvE missions with larger hubs where you can interact with other players. Make some NPCs sidekicks that you can take along to fill in gaps if you don’t want to or can’t find enough players for your party.

Haha, sounds strangely familiar, doesn't it?

What will they do with all the Gemstore purchases? That's a tough one.

And giving people full legendary everything on day one is probably not a good idea (though it may matter less if it's a single player focused game). Maybe carry over as many skins as they can from GW2 to GW3 and lean hard into the fashion wars aspect, players love that. So your Obsidian Armor or cool gemstore outfit from today carries over skins your GW3 Sylvari can wear, and she can look cool. But she doesn't get omega DPS or whatever stats from the item - it's just purely cosmetic. I'd be down for that.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 29, 2024

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

whydirt posted:

And get rid of jumping

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Jedah posted:

Haha, sounds strangely familiar, doesn't it?

What will they do with all the Gemstore purchases? That's a tough one.

And giving people full legendary everything on day one is probably not a good idea (though it may matter less if it's a single player focused game). Maybe carry over as many skins as they can from GW2 to GW3 and lean hard into the fashion wars aspect, players love that. So your Obsidian Armor or cool gemstore outfit from today carries over skins your GW3 Sylvari can wear, and she can look cool. But she doesn't get omega DPS or whatever stats from the item - it's just purely cosmetic. I'd be down for that.

Bring back the hall of monuments

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

gandlethorpe posted:

And get rid of jumping

nope jumping puzzles are based

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Bring back bodyblocking in pve maps too :pray:

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

gandlethorpe posted:

And get rid of jumping

What about my sparkly birb springer mount. It loves jumping and that is good. And if GW3 doesn't have a Griffon-type mount, we'll riot.

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Bring back the hall of monuments
Turn Hall of monuments into something fun like Corvo Bianco from the Witcher 3, a customizable home for all your achievements from GW1/2, and new players can feel included, too. Decorate it the way you want, cool armor on the walls and what not, the "player home" of GW2 is pretty underwhelming tbh.

We're really talking more single player-ish now, but actual player housing with a plot of land could be neat. Maybe even have an area of the player's home as the online hub where you queue for co-op missions or PvP, or you can allow small parties of people into your player's home.

Do that, plus carry over GW2 Gemstore cosmetic purchases and legendary skins, and I don't think the general player base would feel like their money and time has been totally devalued in GW3. That's gonna be a gigantic factor for Anet to grapple with, they must be hyper aware of that.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The folks behind Vindictus are making a single player spin-off game and so are the Warframe people, so it's not unheard of. Though those two are fast-paced, small team action games, so it's not a direct translation.

I don't think I'd ever want to play a hotbar game as SP. That would feel very weird.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Jedah posted:

Might be weird to say this, but I almost hope it isn't an MMO.

Not that I don't enjoy playing with y'all, but a very polished single player game with a bunch of content (Elden Ring, Cyberpunk 2077 after updates, Witcher 3, Baldur's Gate 3, Hollow Knight, many other examples) is an easier project to tackle, and it would allow GW2 to live out the rest of its life without an impending doom setting in. And MMOs are risky, it's incredibly difficult to get them right and to keep people invested.

Maybe a single player GW3 with some optional online PvP or small group co-op could be cool. You could still have equalized gear and drop-in/drop-out PvP play with people online, a GOOD queue system so you can hop in and play for 30 mins or an hour, get your fix for the day, then log off if you want.

Something that fleshes out the world/characters, with a killer soundtrack and a bunch of impactful skills/abilities would feel just right. Just don't butcher the combat system, it's the shining jewel of GW2 and I hope it isn't simplified and turned into a phone game.

I enjoy GW2 most playing solo or with a group of small friends. I don't really feel much draw towards the higher end group content, no interest in the raids and stuff. If they made GW3 a single player game with more of an emphasis on co-op rather than just world boss mobbing and stuff (so, basically, a game more like old school PSO or something) I'd probably be all over it.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
I’d be all over a gw that’s more like 1 than 2. Gw2 is pretty and great but I miss the hero banter and the highly customizable but small skill layouts. Gw1 was amazing to play through

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Meeko posted:

Anet hasn't managed to get a single other product out the door in a decade. I'm sure GW3 is inevitable, GW2 is a decade old at this point, but them announcing it off hand to get share-holders off NC soft west's back doesnt mean much. It could be announced in a few years, it could be announced in another half decade.

This was just a really stupid offhand comment on the part of NC soft brass but then again when have they done anything smart in the past half decade?
Going by job postings over the past year. I'd bet the reason for the announcement in the share holder meeting was because ArenaNet most likely completed a project milestone. Either a prototype or a vertical slice of the core gameplay loop, and this will lead to approval of funding for the next stage in the project.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
As much as HoT has grown on me, morderm guard cavaliers, stoneheads and arrowheads still remain some of my least favorite enemies in the game. They're like a bad rathalos in Monster Hunter, just running back and forth with an attack that sends you flying and interrupts you if you don't dodge it right away.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Longcharr are back baby, and they shared their gift with all :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
They should pinch the Dragon's Dogma 2 pawn system and remake GW1 with it.