Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Lemon King posted:

Going by job postings over the past year. I'd bet the reason for the announcement in the share holder meeting was because ArenaNet most likely completed a project milestone. Either a prototype or a vertical slice of the core gameplay loop, and this will lead to approval of funding for the next stage in the project.

It's important to know the context in the meeting was that the shareholders were asking why NCsoft west (now NCSoft America) has been in the red for the last decade and asking for (or demanding) firings. At the moment, ArenaNet is the only real development studio NCSoft America has, and hyping up the Guild Wars IP is literally all they can do, there are no other IPs or projects they could possibly announce and even saying "we've got a sequel coming" doesn't mean much when it's a addendum to "look, see, our One Development Studio Left is Doing Things! It'll make NCSoft America profitable...eventually!" If it was a independent and pre-planned announcement that would be one thing, but being a response to a Q&A by skeptical shareholders is quite another.

I'm sure they're scaling up investigation into other projects, they've been doing that for years now, but the status of either Guild Wars 3 or other games coming can't really be reasonably estimated through the context of that shareholder meeting, and I remain skeptical until something's actually fully announced given ArenaNet has, due to either management incompetence or external meddling by NCSoft, been thusfar incapable of producing anything not-Guild Wars 2 this last decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

The option of GW3 coming out and loving me over is more of a deterrent to spend money. Keep GW2 and add/expand, that's fine, to me. I've played stuff where the effort/time/money in got bailed on and I will quit a series.
I figure there are other people that would be pretty pissed about the time/money sink to get abandoned.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
are there even any adventures in central tyria? I don't have a beetle yet so I can't race for the april fools event

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Imaginary Friend posted:

They should pinch the Dragon's Dogma 2 pawn system and remake GW1 with it.

Yoooo

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I would very much be down for a game in the GW1 style where you created your own customized parties in cosmetics and skill sets, GW1 was very under appreciated and still holds up as a good game all these years later.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Uh that is GW1, you can make mercenary heroes that you dress up and everything. You even pick their style of barking.

I bet if you name your character “Arisen” it’ll basically be exactly that.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Yes I am aware, I guess I should of said "a sequel to the GW1 style"

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Nuebot posted:

are there even any adventures in central tyria? I don't have a beetle yet so I can't race for the april fools event

You can do the races on any mount as far as I know. You just won't be able to get the gold time without it.

You can probably even just do them on foot.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Nuebot posted:

most races have a beetle rental dude

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

And double post, but jesus, the nerds at the fashion show dont hold back their criticism.

I was shy enough in real life, i think im just going to crawl into a cave in forstgorge and cry ><

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Meskhenet posted:

And double post, but jesus, the nerds at the fashion show dont hold back their criticism.

I was shy enough in real life, i think im just going to crawl into a cave in forstgorge and cry ><

I won one by blasting cake into the crowd like I was using a T-shirt cannon. There's no shame in a little bribery in the Scootybottoms clan if it gets a victory!

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Imaginary Friend posted:

They should pinch the Dragon's Dogma 2 pawn system and remake GW1 with it.

(pre-HOT) destroyers are immune to fire, commander!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I was reminded of that when I took a baby firebrand through vanilla map completion during covid.

Also a lot of doors don't burn either :suicide:

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Commander, according to my research, Icebrood Wolves apparently hunt in packs. Quckly commander, strike their tail!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Hyluck ill like fire, commander!

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Nuebot posted:

I enjoy GW2 most playing solo or with a group of small friends. I don't really feel much draw towards the higher end group content, no interest in the raids and stuff. If they made GW3 a single player game with more of an emphasis on co-op rather than just world boss mobbing and stuff (so, basically, a game more like old school PSO or something) I'd probably be all over it.

Exactly, something like a GW1 remake with quality of life updates, I guess it would be somewhat similar to Dragon's Dogma - you'd definitely want peons/NPCs as optional party members if you're doing single player. Then just add optional multiplayer (co-op, equalized PvP).

They could even lift the concepts of the Fractal system from GW2 and streamline it. Your 5 player PvE online experiences are still "Fractals," but there's a much larger variety of them, and they're somewhere between strikes and dungeons. That could be their PvE instanced content, doable with NPCs or online folks.

If they wanna continue with the concept of "the Mists," make that the hub where you queue 2v2, 3v3, 5v5 PvP online: have equalized gear, drop-in, drop-out player commitment, must have a good queue system, add a couple of game PvP modes to keep things fresh. People will play it to scratch their PvP itch, have some tournaments/achievements, why not?

Sure I'd miss the spectacle of 40 players beating up a big Dragon, but I won't miss a million Skyscales flapping on my screen, or failing Dragon's End after playing for an hour because 15 people were leeching/afk and not contributing to the fight, or the massive lag of Wizard's Tower, Convergences, the Soto zones, or having to suffer through 3-4 full loading screens just to get to where I need to be.

The question is, why would they not do this? You can still have the essence of GW and its best qualities without it necessarily being an MMO.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 2, 2024

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I hope they go in the completely opposite direction actually - focus entirely on open world, since that's A) what they do best and B) is a niche no other current MMO does particularly well.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I finally got around to playing the new story and unlocking the new weapons...I'd like to get the Astral Acclaim for getting kills with a new weapon, I almost only play Revenant and Scepter seems pretty weird. I tried googling "scepter revenant build gw2" but could only find stuff from the beta weekend about it. Are people kind of doing the beserker Herald but with Scepter/Shield?

Would I be better off using my thief, since it seems ax thief is pretty cool? My problem is though I have Daredevil unlocked and nothing else, don't really feel like getting HPs for elite specs. I have a Dragonhunter and my Elementalist has everything unlocked though.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

revenant scepter is tuned as a healer's support weapon for pumping boons into your party members, but you can just replace sword with it in a power build and accept the damage loss in exchange for more defensive utility. there is no build police in open world.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

there is no build police in open world.

I haven't done the DE meta in forever, has it finally calmed down or do you still get people screaming about DPS there?

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

404notfound posted:

I haven't done the DE meta in forever, has it finally calmed down or do you still get people screaming about DPS there?

DE can and will 100% fail if people are just leeching and mulling around doing nothing. Example being: not using their CC abilities, sitting on their Skyscale and shooting fireballs but not actually fighting, not coordinating killing the side Champ bosses on the platforms, people getting bodied by Soo Won's extremely telegraphed stomp attacks and waiting for someone to fully res them, etc.

Since it's a timed event, that's what gets poor groups.

The DPS check is really not much, especially these days with insane power creep. You could literally be a minimal effort Mechanist with autocasting mech abilities and rifle autoattack, press your CC skills from time to time, and still win.

DE is nothing like it used to be after being nerfed, but it does require somewhat paying attention, and that's not a bad thing. It's fun with the right group, a Commander who organizes sub groups, and gives squad instructions - that goes a long way. I haven't seen CHYA run it in a while, but if you find an organized group, it's good.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Soo Won is the only thing I see fail these days end even then it's rare and mostly likely just a low population problem.

It's been ages but I've had people in OW squack at me for not using the build they think I should be using but repeated "lol" makes they shut up or rage so much I can report them.
But that never happens these days. Hell, it's rare in Fracs as well, thank god.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

more lightning attacks besides ele please

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

revenant scepter is tuned as a healer's support weapon for pumping boons into your party members, but you can just replace sword with it in a power build and accept the damage loss in exchange for more defensive utility. there is no build police in open world.

Alright that's what I figured, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious. I just want to use it as little as possible because I genuinely like the mace/axe combo and just want a painless way to get this achievement.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Meowywitch posted:

more lightning attacks besides ele please

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Superior_Sigil_of_Air

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Thief axe would be much easier than rev scepter to get the wizard bucks

Sir Bruce
Jul 8, 2004

The fastest way to get those weapon kills is to equip whatever weapon, hop into T1 Urban Battleground, and spam auto-attack to kill the fast-respawning 1hp mobs right outside the tent. Takes 5 minutes.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Sir Bruce posted:

The fastest way to get those weapon kills is to equip whatever weapon, hop into T1 Urban Battleground, and spam auto-attack to kill the fast-respawning 1hp mobs right outside the tent. Takes 5 minutes.

are they fire legion? or just charr.

do they count for the 100 fire legion or 100 whatever it was?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

They're humans, but they're veterans so they count for that if you need it.

Can't believe I didn't think of that, because I've often done it for the vet weekly.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Humerus posted:

I finally got around to playing the new story and unlocking the new weapons...I'd like to get the Astral Acclaim for getting kills with a new weapon, I almost only play Revenant and Scepter seems pretty weird. I tried googling "scepter revenant build gw2" but could only find stuff from the beta weekend about it. Are people kind of doing the beserker Herald but with Scepter/Shield?

Would I be better off using my thief, since it seems ax thief is pretty cool? My problem is though I have Daredevil unlocked and nothing else, don't really feel like getting HPs for elite specs. I have a Dragonhunter and my Elementalist has everything unlocked though.

fastest method is to stick the scepter on a herald, go into a convergence/dragonstorm, put 4-5 pips of facets on, and wait in the middle

repeat until done

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

for these achievements ime you have to get the killing blow with your weapon’s strike damage, meaning support and condi weapons are arbitrarily harder

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I saw folks saying it had been patched to just needing the kill credit, not the killing blow.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

if they changed it thats good lol. i did guardian pistols around release and it took forever

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I was trying it with Engi short bow, and kept getting KSed by my own mech.

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007

OzFactor posted:

Update: they let you skip to the new release once you get through chapter 6 of the Secrets expansion. I have no idea what the gently caress I was doing (there are good kryptis? i guess?) but I did it and now I have new weapons for all my characters!

It reminded me, in a bad way, of Destiny, where when you log in after a long time it automatically jumps you into the current season's opening mission, and you have absolutely no idea what is going on as the characters all shout total nonsense at you about how Proper Noun is needed to align Other Proper Noun in order to Capital Verb Yet Another Proper Noun. Oh well, Necro sword is cool.

Can you skip to this part and get back to chapter 6 right after unlocking the weapons? Just want the weapons early.

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

Goon Strikes have been going very well, thanks to everyone who has been coming, it's been a lot of fun. We're stopping at the hour and a half mark, and that gets us through most of the content. Big shout out to all the new folks who joined, you killed it. No joke, that was great.

As people get more experience and get used to the flow of moving strike to strike, I expect we'll tackle all the non-time-consuming strikes + Harvest Temple each Strike day. If you're not reading the Strike Thread, which gets a bit messy cause...Discord, we're basically going to do two days to accommodate people with very different schedules.

Mondays are happening after reset Leyline Anomaly, roughly 8:30 pm est.

Saturdays are *currently* happening after guild missions but as we all discovered last Saturday, oh my does that mean we're running late. *After* this coming Saturday (6 April) we're probably going to change that to the hour and a half before reset, which would be 6:30 pm est.

Everyone is welcome to join either day, or both.

Would also like to give a big shoutout to Maekrix who is also going to be leading a daily SOTO strike group for easy green shards. Owns.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Your sat is my sunday morning.

I might beable to do the hour half before reset. At least once every 4 weeks ><

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Mang Tomas posted:

Can you skip to this part and get back to chapter 6 right after unlocking the weapons? Just want the weapons early.

Yeah, you can. That's how I unlocked them.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Mang Tomas posted:

Yes but just to be perfectly clear you have to finish chapter 6, then skip ahead and complete chapter 14 (The War Council), and then you can go back to chapter 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007
Pleasantly surprised by how good sword is on Mechanist