Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

I started playing untamed a while ago, because I thought it was a good idea and I'm an idiot. Turns out an idiot is right twice a day because this build slaps.

Build code:

[&DQQeOiEaSBd5ABQbtgC1AAEbmgCsAawBDxsPGwE7LykAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADWgAFADUAAA==]

Full berserker gear and it tanks harder than most celestial builds, while also being a power build so it's actually usable if you want to kill anything. On top of that, it is incredibly flexible when it comes to several gearing, pet, trait, and even weapon choices. It is very hard to go wrong here.

The main gimmick of untamed is that you get extra control over your pet, and it's very daunting to look at. All you need to know is you Ctrl+Right Click your pet abilities to make them autocast, then ignore them because effort. Then you push F5 to make your pet skills go green; you can't autocast these ones, so target something and push F123 so they all cast at once. Then, push F5 again and your autoattack skill will flip over - this won't autocast, so push 1 here. You've just done an unleashed ambush ability.

You hit this hard with no buffs or debuffs. The non-crit damage you're seeing is leech damage which can't crit. You also heal for 3500 why not.

If your pet skills are not green, watch for the little yellow and black buff on your bar. Push F5 to make your pet skills green (push your pet skills now if you want). Push F5 again to make them not green and your 1 skill will flip over again - push it! Then swap weapons, and your 1 skill will have flipped over again - push it! You want to make your 1 skill flip over twice per weapon swap - once when you swap to, and once when you're about to swap back. This is a large part of your damage and survival.

Big numbers. No buffs.

Your main trait lines are Skirmishing for sheer damage and critical hit potential - don't remove this one, we want to actually kill stuff. Your second traitline can be Marksmanship if you just want raw damage, Nature Magic if you want to copy the inferior Snow Crows version (stick to raids guys), or Wilderness Survival (pictured above) if you want a very healthy mix of survival and raw damage. I recommend the last one because it comes with the Carnivore trait, which was added recently and heals you and deals damage when you stun an enemy.

This build stuns enemies a lot. I like Carnivore.

Your weapon choices are pretty free. I currently use Sword/Axe and Mace/Mace. You might notice the Deft Strike damage above comes with Carnivore - there's a daze attached to the sword unleash so you get even more healing. Mace is just all-around fantastic and has incredible survival options like a random 5k barrier than you can cast twice and four stuns so you can trigger Carnivore four times because again why not. And also you get free stability and your skills all fully recharge.

But you can use other weapons if you want. Axe is fine, hammer is fine too, although hammer has some skill switching involved based on whether you're unleashed or not. (If your pet skills are green then 2 is a barrier, 3 is two stuns for carnivore, 4 gives protection, 5 is also a stun. If your hammer skills are green you're on the damage mode which has less utility).

Use Midnight King relic, not just because it's pretty good, but because most relic options are utterly putrid. Scholar if you want, or Strength runes I don't care. Sigils also don't matter. Force? Strength? Frailty? You do you.

Pets same deal. I picked a cat that gives might stacks and a goat because it's a goat.

Utility skills again do whatever. I picked some stuns and knockdowns, you might prefer something else. Maybe some movement speed? Or swap the heal out for Healing Spring for some cleanse, we don't have much of that either (mace 4 only). Traits you can fiddle with if you feel confident, the top ones in untamed give quickness which is nice.

Overall I started out hating ranger and now I'm having fun and I don't like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

dragonhunter is a great relic choice on untamed *if* you take both the fire and ice traps

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I have finally finished all the story and now I don't know what to do with myself. I'm looking at legendaries but good god those are expensive and grindy. Are there any fun and rewarding collections I might not be aware of that I could be doing?

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Cool Dad posted:

I have finally finished all the story and now I don't know what to do with myself. I'm looking at legendaries but good god those are expensive and grindy. Are there any fun and rewarding collections I might not be aware of that I could be doing?

The big one is the Return To collection for the free legendary amulet. Unlock the Aurora and Vision collections before starting as there's significant overlap.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Done that, also done the skyscale and griffon stuff and Convergence of Sorrow I and II for some reason. Maybe I'll try and get the turtle.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

After getting through all the story, I'd suggest trying out all of the big map-wide meta events at least once. A lot of them aren't required for the story, or have simplified versions for the story, and it can be pretty different and fun taking on the versions scaled up for 50 people. The event timers wiki page is a good way to see what there is to do, and when.

Maxing out your masteries is also something with a very clear and trackable sense of progress. All the different regional mastery tracks essentially are your "levels" once your character hits level 80. Doing this will require you to engage in a bunch of side content as well to unlock mastery points, which also exposes you to a good amount of different gameplay

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
Turtle is nice to have.

Sun's Refuge has a number of collections I've been meaning to start on to add things to the instance.

The spec ops armor looks cool and will take you around EoD.

Season 1 achievements for easy 20 slot bags if you haven't done that yet.

Then there's a bunch of weird little collections in the basic collections tab that can be fun to hunt down.

And the hungry cat scavenger hunt!

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Hi all, just a quick heads up that Degs is kind enough to host Goon strikes each week.

Today, April 8th, we're meeting at ~8:30 pm est, 5:30 pm pst, Apr 9 8:30 am Perth time. Group will begin forming after reset, after the guild runs the Leyline /naked man event. All experience levels welcome. We'll be on discord if it's helpful to hear instructions for anyone new.

The only barrier to entry is making sure you have the relevant expansion packs, and maybe teleport to friend items if you need to quickly access any new zones/hubs.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Return to Heart of Thorns event just started! Good chance to make some extra mystic coins or hit up the maps for content if you're a newer player and weren't around when it was the most recent release, especially for Verdant Brink since that meta doesn't get run as often these days.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Is there any way to turn off the sky scale's wall cling? It seems to serve no purpose beyond making it impossible to land on ledges and regain your stamina sometimes.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Unfortunately there isn't. Maybe one day...

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Is there any way to turn off the sky scale's wall cling? It seems to serve no purpose beyond making it impossible to land on ledges and regain your stamina sometimes.

no but you have 2 options

1 Wait for 8 vigour to regain, popping that will refill your blue bar

2 come back and gently fall until you have stamina to regrab the ledge and try again.

Neither are actually any good when you dont want to grab that invisible wall between the trees you were flying through though.

At least you can turn off leygliding!

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
The wall climb is great (when you need it) and is basically required to reach some of the most remote (high altitude) spots in the game but it is also really frustrating to fly too close to a tree or whatever and the skyscale grabs onto it, instantly stopping you and ruining your flow.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The wall climb finally stopped being a problem when I got the soto mastery that refills endurance on updrafts or ley lines. The mastery that gives you a chance of the regen skill firing upon mount helps a lot as well. You can dismount and quickly hop back on for an endurance boost.

The mastery that gives endurance on updrafts is amazing, since it continually fires off the regen skill as long as you're gliding, and it lasts for several seconds after leaving the ley line/updraft.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

its really funny when you're barrel rolling and scrape a wall at some point and the game doesn't register the collision until you're past it so your skyscale is just clinging to thin air

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

Nuebot posted:

Fly sideways at the ledge. It only grabs if your holding w/up. It's a super annoying thing, but that's a partial work around.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/introducing-our-latest-quality-of-life-feature-cosmetic-inspection/

My fashion secrets will no longer be obscured.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Wardrobe templates next pls

Also, sneak peek of xp5... Ascalon?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I can't wait to never go to Nayos again

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

gandlethorpe posted:

Wardrobe templates next pls

Also, sneak peek of xp5... Ascalon?

That's what it looks like to me. Giving me big presearing vibes in the forest area south of town.

Could be wrong though

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

owns

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Cool Dad posted:

Yeah I appreciate the aesthetics they've been aiming for but I really prefer classic fantasy forests etc.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Cool Dad posted:

Two more months' worth of weekly convergences and I should have all the kryptis cum needed for a set of obby armor, at which point I can slow roll everything else :shepface:

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Kryptis were interesting in the first release when they seemed so alien and unlike any Tyrian society, almost like the Zerg. But then it was like "actually those are the bad ones, they're really just like us, only spikier!" As cute as the chubby ones are, it was a bit of a copout.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
So Starcraft II zerg, in other words. Yeah :negative:

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the kryptis being almost entirely comprised of organs and fangs superglued onto pre-existing models aside from a handful of ruling class demons was really disappointing

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Cool Dad posted:

Don't worry, the monsters in the new zone will have even more HP, and spew even more AOE conditions.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I hate literally everything about super adventure box

EDIT: I'm skipping this poo poo, it's the loving worst

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 17, 2024

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

Oh poo poo is that on? It's dumb enough I like it

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Nuebot posted:

Tried it for the first time today and, uh, I’m not a fan.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Nuebot posted:

Yeah, I think it's miserable to play AND I don't like the skins you can get. Win-Win!

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

There's definitely a novelty factor where you can appreciate how much effort they put into making it look and feel like an 8-bit platformer, but yeah, if you're not into it in like the first five minutes, it really doesn't get any better

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah, I think it's miserable to play AND I don't like the skins you can get. Win-Win!

I like the shoulders but it's just awful to play and at least the lunar new year events also counted towards daily/weekly wizard vault stuff. Even the rewards are bizarre; what's with the annual item box for a weapon skin? I actually like the skins but waiting a year to get more than one just kills any interest in using them for cosmetics.

404notfound posted:

There's definitely a novelty factor where you can appreciate how much effort they put into making it look and feel like an 8-bit platformer, but yeah, if you're not into it in like the first five minutes, it really doesn't get any better

I'd love it if it actually felt and looked like an 8-bit platformer but it doesn't. It just feels like every other MMO that does something like this, slow, slippery and inaccurate. It's like someone who's never played an old game wanted to recreate one based on what they think they're like.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Apr 17, 2024

Faxanadus
Oct 16, 2023
They also couldn't even be bothered to add another zone this year so zone 3 is still the "Test" zone, just like last year. That's pretty drat dire if you ask me.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Yeah,i hear you, this is one i bounce off super quick. lol

no one wants to carry my rear end to world 2, i suck at the frog

i dont find it fun

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
It took them 10 years to add the test zone. Not having another new zone this year isn't so bad.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

even with how many baubles you need it's one of the easier/cheaper ways to get almalgamated draconic lodestones. next easiest is buying and crafting cores into lodestones into amalgamated in the mystic forge and giving yourself a repetitive stress injury

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

With the new inspect fashion wars enabled, ive been hitting the random button on my convergence leech and come up with some hideous stuff!

I only kinda wish the convergence boxesd gave me something i need. I am seriously only doing them for the chance at a holding rune :/

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Nuebot posted:

Yeah for the first time since they added it I got to log in and finally try it and man I do not like it. Got a couple of achievements I guess but I kinda don't wanna do the yearly achievement!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I've pretty much cleared out the wizard's vault and have no clue what to do with all the wizard vault points now besides buy more crafting materials.